Reason 12 has arrived

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
AttenuationHz

22 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Sep 2021
However the case in point that Billy+ pointed out here; where the new combi is not customised it still isn't compatible with past versions and the predecessor.
The source range doesn't exist on the original Combi, but we have it now in Combi 2, so I'm not sure how that could be handled.
I'd love to know if users are even aware of what that source range setting does. The vast majority I'd imagine wouldn't even change the default value.

If it doesn't change from the default value across any programming it means it can be excluded safely when saved.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

tronam

22 Sep 2021

It's kind of a shame RS can't release at least a solid bugfix/optimization patch before Sep 30th. It might help convince hesitant upgraders to do so before the price goes up.

EDIT: Clearly I failed kindergarten.
Last edited by tronam on 22 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

AttenuationHz

22 Sep 2021

tronam wrote:
22 Sep 2021
It's kind of a shame RS can't release at least a solid bugfix/optimization patch before Sep 31st. It might help convince hesitant upgraders to do so before the price goes up.
30 days has September, April, June and November.... :puf_bigsmile: :puf_bigsmile:
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

stratatonic

22 Sep 2021

tronam wrote:
22 Sep 2021
It's kind of a shame RS can't release at least a solid bugfix/optimization patch before Sep 31st. It might help convince hesitant upgraders to do so before the price goes up.
What makes you think that there will not be an update before the...uh...30th?
There is a beta update out now. I'm sure something will arrive soon.
Whether its enough to convince anyone that it is a solid bugfix/optimization update is another story.
It would probably be best to download the demo and find out how it all works out for you.

tronam

22 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
22 Sep 2021
tronam wrote:
22 Sep 2021
Whether its enough to convince anyone that it is a solid bugfix/optimization update is another story.
It would probably be best to download the demo and find out how it all works out for you.
Hey, I upgraded day one. I'm a true Reason fan, not one of those posers.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

stratatonic

22 Sep 2021

tronam wrote:
22 Sep 2021
stratatonic wrote:
22 Sep 2021

Hey, I upgraded day one. I'm a true Reason fan, not one of those posers.
:thumbup:

Proboscis

22 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Sep 2021
That's not entirely true, Billy+. There is 7 month's worth of Sound Packs released prior to Reason 12 that work just fine in Reason 11, and these can even be used if you cancel your R+ sub (once you download a Pack, you have them forever).
Are there any new stock sound packs/refills/combinators specific to R12 (not R+) ? And are there any new FSB additions ?

I'm a little unsure whether to D/L a bunch of the soundpacks on the last day of my trial (today), or whether they might contain R+ devices (ie the RS-branded REs, which will be of no use unless we own them).

AttenuationHz

22 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
22 Sep 2021
EnochLight wrote:
22 Sep 2021
That's not entirely true, Billy+. There is 7 month's worth of Sound Packs released prior to Reason 12 that work just fine in Reason 11, and these can even be used if you cancel your R+ sub (once you download a Pack, you have them forever).
Are there any new stock sound packs/refills/combinators specific to R12 (not R+) ? And are there any new FSB additions ?

I'm a little unsure whether to D/L a bunch of the soundpacks on the last day of my trial (today), or whether they might contain R+ devices (ie the RS-branded REs, which will be of no use unless we own them).
Fair few new combinator patches alright, not too sure of the others. FSB stuff should only contain stock devices... well mostly there is one or 2 patches using non stock by mistake - but that will be rectified.

ravasb

23 Sep 2021

I have upgraded every version of Reason from 2 to 11 and bought a year of the 12+ immediately after it came out. I just canceled it, though I have several months left. 12+ has added nothing to how I make music, including Mimic and the new combi, which I think is a missed opportunity because of the inability to stack instrument combis. Version 11 works fine for me, and I will continue to use it regularly. I just can't think of a reason why I would pay $20 a month for 12+. Seeing their roadmap was a nice gesture, but it also showed me that there are no plans for them to really improve the things that would help my workflow.

I am sure that many of you are having a far different experience from me, but I thought it would be useful to the Reason devs to hear the concerns of someone who has been using Reason pretty much from the beginning.

QVprod

23 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
22 Sep 2021
EnochLight wrote:
22 Sep 2021

The FSB has 100 new combinator patches as well as new patches for various older synths. I contributed a few for Thor, Maelstrom and Subtractor. Not sure what the amount of non combi patches are. https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/comb ... -reason-12

Soundpacks will vary on devices used sometimes per patch.however any Packs released after September 1st will use the new combinator as so is incompatible with Reason 11 and later.

gullum

23 Sep 2021

ravasb wrote:
23 Sep 2021
I have upgraded every version of Reason from 2 to 11 and bought a year of the 12+ immediately after it came out. I just canceled it, though I have several months left. 12+ has added nothing to how I make music, including Mimic and the new combi, which I think is a missed opportunity because of the inability to stack instrument combis. Version 11 works fine for me, and I will continue to use it regularly. I just can't think of a reason why I would pay $20 a month for 12+. Seeing their roadmap was a nice gesture, but it also showed me that there are no plans for them to really improve the things that would help my workflow.

I am sure that many of you are having a far different experience from me, but I thought it would be useful to the Reason devs to hear the concerns of someone who has been using Reason pretty much from the beginning.
thats why, for me I think it was good to upgrade to 12 and not subscribe because I have payed for it and moving on, I guess I would have the feeling after a few months of subscribing "why am I still paying for this?"

ravasb

23 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
23 Sep 2021
ravasb wrote:
23 Sep 2021

thats why, for me I think it was good to upgrade to 12 and not subscribe because I have payed for it and moving on, I guess I would have the feeling after a few months of subscribing "why am I still paying for this?"
I should have just done that. Now if I upgrade to 12 it will be like I have spent close to $300 just to get mimic and a slightly better combi. I feel like an idiot, but it is all my fault.

rootwheel

24 Sep 2021

tronam wrote:
22 Sep 2021
It's kind of a shame RS can't release at least a solid bugfix/optimization patch before Sep 30th. It might help convince hesitant upgraders to do so before the price goes up.
There hasn't been a proper solid Reason release since 10.4! Every release since has been plagued with some sort of annoying issue which, when it has subsequently been fixed, has then made way for fresh bugs (often regression bugs; breaking otherwise previously working functionality).

Here's hoping Reason 12.3 is finally a bit more stable...

gullum

24 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
24 Sep 2021
tronam wrote:
22 Sep 2021
There hasn't been a proper solid Reason release since 10.4! Every release since has been plagued with some sort of annoying issue which, when it has subsequently been fixed, has then made way for fresh bugs (often regression bugs; breaking otherwise previously working functionality).

yet I have not had a single issue with Reason ever crashing only it was super slow when I was on early access R+ but I am not using VST so maybe the biggest problem is not really Reason but bad VST

Muttonheads

24 Sep 2021

I reported issues to the Reason team. But for information:
I have a problem with the GUI that hangs completely for about 30 seconds (making Reason unusable), every minute or so. It does that to me on some projects, not all, so I investigated a bit.
It turns out that if I remove the VST "Analog Lab 4" from my session I no longer have these freezes, I deduce that there is a problem with the compatibility of certain VST plugins.
Another concern is that if I detach the Rack Window, the vu-meters on the rack side no longer work or get stuck, when the rack window is not in focus.

rootwheel

24 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
24 Sep 2021
rootwheel wrote:
24 Sep 2021

yet I have not had a single issue with Reason ever crashing only it was super slow when I was on early access R+ but I am not using VST so maybe the biggest problem is not really Reason but bad VST
The issues are well documented on here since Reason 10.4. None of them are bad VSTs. They are all in the main application itself. They are to do with crashing when removing samples associated with devices, bugs in the Sample Editor when previewing audio, issues with memory leaks and RAM not being freed up when removing devices from the rack, and finally an issue with PDC malfunctioning and baking lots of delay latency into audio recordings. Since Reason 10.4 there hasn't been a single version of Reason that doesn't seem to have one or more of these bugs present in the application. There hasn't been a single version where these features are all working as expected simultaneously.

gullum

24 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
24 Sep 2021
gullum wrote:
24 Sep 2021

The issues are well documented on here since Reason 10.4. None of them are bad VSTs. They are all in the main application itself. They are to do with crashing when removing samples associated with devices, bugs in the Sample Editor when previewing audio, issues with memory leaks and RAM not being freed up when removing devices from the rack, and finally an issue with PDC malfunctioning and baking lots of delay latency into audio recordings. Since Reason 10.4 there hasn't been a single version of Reason that doesn't seem to have one or more of these bugs present in the application. There hasn't been a single version where these features are all working as expected simultaneously.
Ok then I'm not going to say there are no problems only I have not had any problems so most probable my workflow is the reason. I do however use Reason 90% for audio recording.

loui
Reason Studios

24 Sep 2021

Muttonheads wrote:
24 Sep 2021
I reported issues to the Reason team. But for information:
I have a problem with the GUI that hangs completely for about 30 seconds (making Reason unusable), every minute or so. It does that to me on some projects, not all, so I investigated a bit.
It turns out that if I remove the VST "Analog Lab 4" from my session I no longer have these freezes, I deduce that there is a problem with the compatibility of certain VST plugins.
I saw a report from an Arturia V-Collection user where freezes occur in Reason 12. After reinstalling V-Collection with the Arturia Software Center, the issue was resolved. In your case it might help reinstalling Analog Lab. I'm not saying this is guaranteed to work for you. If it doesn't help, please report it to our Tech Support. Or if you signed up for Reason Beta, report a bug ticket.

Loui

plaamook

24 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
24 Sep 2021
rootwheel wrote:
24 Sep 2021

It’s not bad. Just third party I think.
I had an issue with soothe2 in R11 where by if you had more than one instance of soothe and deleted one reason would crash.
I reported it to both oeksound and props, both got on it, and it was fixed in a soothe update. So it’s not necessarily clear cut who’s fault it is. And soothe is a pretty standard plug these days.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

jamesa

25 Sep 2021

groggy1 wrote:
12 Sep 2021
jamesa wrote:
12 Sep 2021

Yes, that's one of the charms of Reason. I've referred to the manual a few times and I must say, it is very well-written, but I rarely need to refer to it.
+1

It's so bizarre that Reason has a GREAT manual, probably one of the best I've ever seen. And yet, it's one of those apps where you rarely need it because most things are relatively intuitive (not a ton of nested menus, most functionality is done graphically)

On a different note: I've really been enjoying Combinator2. I've been using it to create a "performance" view on the front-panel for specific VSTs. It's just so cool...
One of my favorite tricks: If I create a Combinator patch that uses 2 different synths (with a mixer to set balance), I *LOVE* how I can control the balance/levels right on the front panel! What kind of crazy amazing software is this?!
Sounds cool! If you have a YouTube video of this, please post the link, I would love to watch it.

kitekrazy

27 Sep 2021

I took their threat seriously and decided to upgrade. It will probably be my last version since I'm not into upgrading DAWs at $199. Live Suite is $249 and probably wont do the Suite anymore.

moofi

28 Sep 2021

I finally made a comparison check on the visual appearance of Reason 12 + 7.
I wanted to do so because I felt like their was quite a difference regarding readability.
Indeed Reason 7 has way better contrasts thatfor it´s quite doable to decipher the small labelings well even though they are pretty small, Reason 12 not so very much.

I don´t know wether it´s been posted elsewhere, couldn´t find anything spontaneously.
Attachments
Reason 12 7 contrast difference.jpg
Reason 12 7 contrast difference.jpg (335.54 KiB) Viewed 4541 times

guitfnky

28 Sep 2021

moofi wrote:
28 Sep 2021
I wanted to do so because I felt like their was quite a difference regarding readability.
Indeed Reason 7 has way better contrasts thatfor it´s quite doable to decipher the small labelings well even though they are pretty small, Reason 12 not so very much.

I don´t know wether it´s been posted elsewhere, couldn´t find anything spontaneously.
these pics aren't too helpful in seeing what's different, since both are very low res. to be expected with 7, but 12 should look far sharper. not saying you're not right, but I don't think these particular pics make the case very well, that's all.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Jackjackdaw

28 Sep 2021

moofi wrote:
28 Sep 2021

This was discussed in the beta forum. They did give a reasonable explanation but I can't remember what it was.

moofi

28 Sep 2021

I can see it being related to the zoom implementation and that it might come with the way it renders or something. Then as an outcome I cannot really work well on 100% zoom level now because I have to focus on decyphering. Sure, I can work at greater zoom levels yet greater zoomlevels always introduce less of the rack being visible at once.

I truely like the zoom functionality, it opens new dimensions in improved relaxed workflow. Yet point remains.
Jackjackdaw wrote:
28 Sep 2021
moofi wrote:
28 Sep 2021

This was discussed in the beta forum. They did give a reasonable explanation but I can't remember what it was.

• Information