Softube Console 1 as MIDI controller for the SSL mixer

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
drloop

12 Feb 2021

Ahornberg wrote:
12 Feb 2021
drloop wrote:
12 Feb 2021
I got a Console 1 now. In Reason 11.3.8 I got it working with only one channel at the time. I cant switch channel without locking to the specific channel in mixer.
I would like to select channel in the sequencern.
Any ideas?
Are you using my Remote Map?
Yes!

Ahornberg

12 Feb 2021

drloop wrote:
12 Feb 2021
Ahornberg wrote:
12 Feb 2021

Are you using my Remote Map?
Yes!
You can only use one channel at a time.
For switching channels, please check out viewtopic.php?p=437512#p437512

drloop

12 Feb 2021

Ahornberg wrote:
12 Feb 2021
drloop wrote:
12 Feb 2021

Yes!
Aaah , thanks.
It creates an automation track in the sequencer.
Now it works but I will have double amount of tracks in the sequencer. Well well
Thanks!

selig
RE Developer

12 Feb 2021

Ahornberg wrote:
12 Feb 2021
I'm using Remote with my Midas M32r and have complete access - I lock it to the Master Section to achieve this, should work in your case as well. Can record automation on as many channels at once as I want, just grab the faders and go! For audio tracks automation is recored on an automation lane, no extra tracks required. For instruments, parallel channels, and bus channels you must record on a new track assigned to the mix channel in question.
Selig Audio, LLC

drloop

12 Feb 2021

I have tried to work with Console 1 and Reason. No, it is not making my mixing easier. Pity, I like the unit but the reason why I bought it was to make it more easy to handle large projects. With Console 1 it will be harder to manage complex mixes. Managing a 40 channel mix with console 1 will unfurtunatelly make it a 80 channel project instead.

My nanoKONTROL2 does a better job in this case.

dioxide

24 Jun 2021

Hi all, I'm back with an updated map for the Console 1. This is far from perfect and there is no user guide so you'll just have to figure it out by reading the files and messing around. This is primarily for my personal use but feel free to hack and edit it however you like.

I've stolen a few good ideas here from other posts. Some notes:

1. There are two basic modes – the channel strip and the effects sections – but there are actually four layer buttons in total (see point 3).

2. Page +/- buttons always move the Remote Base Channel left and right. The Preset button is always mapped to Undo.

3. You can select between the 4 modes using the following buttons. SELECT (Display On button), MUTE (Mute button), SOLO (Solo button) and EFFECTS (Mode button).

4. SELECT / MUTE / SOLO select the normal channel strip controls. The layout of the basic channel strip (SELECT / MUTE or SOLO) is more or less as you would expect. The only difference is that MUTE uses the Select Track buttons for muting tracks 1-20, SOLO uses the Select Track buttons for soloing tracks 1-20. SELECT is reserved for track selection – which I haven't got this working. The Mute and Solo modes are useful but unfortunately are tied to the Remote Base Channel. Any tips on how I can fix any of this would be appreciated!

5. In EFFECTS mode the Gate Section is dedicated to the Insert Rotaries 1-4. Track Select buttons 17-20 are mapped to Insert Buttons 1-4. The Shape button is mapped to Bypass. The lower eight EQ knobs are mapped to FX Sends 1-8 and Track Select buttons 1-8 are mapped to the FX Send On/Off buttons. The other sections (Filters, Compressor, Output) all remain the same as when in SELECT / MUTE / SOLO modes.

6. In EFFECTS mode the Filters to Compressors and Phase Inv buttons are used as browser up/down buttons for the Insert effects. Note that the Undo button (Preset) is directly below.

7. Finally a number of Rack Extensions and stock device effects are also mapped. So you can also lock the Console 1 to a RE compressor or EQ in order to control it.

Dioxide - Console 1 - JUN21.zip
(18.26 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Last edited by dioxide on 27 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Ahornberg

25 Jun 2021

great to see someone else intersted in using the Console 1 controller in Reason :thumbs_up:

dioxide

25 Jun 2021

Okay I finally bit the bullet and created a Codec that uses the 20 Select Track buttons to navigate between control of each track. Again there is no documentation so you'll have to read through the Map and mess around with it to see how it is set up. Some brief notes:

1. The Select Track buttons switch between Mix Channels 1-20 and allows control of the channel strip Gate, EQ and Compressor.

2. Pressing the Track Copy button switches to Master Channel and allows control of the Master Buss compressor and Insert Effects.

3. The Mute and Solo button overview is not available in this version. Mute / Solo is handled by accessing the individual mix channels using the Track Select Buttons. Mute All Off and Solo All Off are mapped to the Mute / Solo buttons in the Master Channel (press Track Copy button).

4. The FX Insert controls and FX Send controls are not available in this version. This version uses 21 layers. I will investigate whether it is possible for each layer to have a second page, but I think this isn't possible.

5. The Preset button is mapped to Undo.

6. This version of the Console 1 map is set up as a separate Codec named (Console 1 - 20 Channel). This means you can disable your usual mapping and switch to using this one and vice versa. This makes it easy to switch back to other maps if you prefer the version with a row of mutes instead of the track navigation.

7. I have included an Excel and CSV versions of the mapping file in the zip file as it is easier to read than the remotemap file. Feel free to edit, hack and make your own variations of these maps.
Attachments
20 Channel Version.zip
(61.52 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

dioxide

25 Jun 2021

Thinking about it, I could add the Mutes to a layer mapped to the Track Group button. It is also possible that the Page +/- buttons be used for a layers but you'd lose the Remote Base functionality. For me 20 tracks is usually enough but I know some people prefer to use more.

gullum

27 Jun 2021

dioxide wrote:
25 Jun 2021
Okay I finally bit the bullet and created a Codec that uses the 20 Select Track buttons to navigate between control of each track. Again there is no documentation so you'll have to read through the Map and mess around with it to see how it is set up. Some brief notes:

1. The Select Track buttons switch between Mix Channels 1-20 and allows control of the channel strip Gate, EQ and Compressor.

2. Pressing the Track Copy button switches to Master Channel and allows control of the Master Buss compressor and Insert Effects.

3. The Mute and Solo button overview is not available in this version. Mute / Solo is handled by accessing the individual mix channels using the Track Select Buttons. Mute All Off and Solo All Off are mapped to the Mute / Solo buttons in the Master Channel (press Track Copy button).

4. The FX Insert controls and FX Send controls are not available in this version. This version uses 21 layers. I will investigate whether it is possible for each layer to have a second page, but I think this isn't possible.

5. The Preset button is mapped to Undo.

6. This version of the Console 1 map is set up as a separate Codec named (Console 1 - 20 Channel). This means you can disable your usual mapping and switch to using this one and vice versa. This makes it easy to switch back to other maps if you prefer the version with a row of mutes instead of the track navigation.

7. I have included an Excel and CSV versions of the mapping file in the zip file as it is easier to read than the remotemap file. Feel free to edit, hack and make your own variations of these maps.
You do deserve a kiss and a hug
I have 3 iicon qcon controllers so I have so have 24 faders but before I needed to move the channels over to my first 8 faders and use keyboard shortcuts to select what channel to control with Consol 1 now with 20 select from the softube I'm not so limited any more thanks again

dioxide

30 Jun 2021

SSL colouring for the Console 1. A simple upgrade of the Console 1 using some of those small coloured rubber bands.
IMG_2234.JPG
IMG_2234.JPG (316.21 KiB) Viewed 17362 times

Ahornberg

30 Jun 2021

dioxide wrote:
30 Jun 2021
SSL colouring for the Console 1. A simple upgrade of the Console 1 using some of those small coloured rubber bands.
Nice!

oyvindur

27 Sep 2021

Ahornberg

27 Sep 2021

VST3 is only one pre-requisite. The other is that the DAW itself supports Console 1.

oyvindur

27 Sep 2021

Ahornberg wrote:
27 Sep 2021
VST3 is only one pre-requisite. The other is that the DAW itself supports Console 1.
Yes, I know. But if they also add support for Presonus VST3 Extensions (like Ardour did; see the linked post), would that fix it? Or would they need something in addition to that as well?

(Let's move this discussion to that other thread.)

oyvindur

27 Sep 2021

oyvindur wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Ahornberg wrote:
27 Sep 2021

Yes, I know. But if they also add support for Presonus VST3 Extensions (like Ardour did; see the linked post), would that fix it? Or would they need something in addition to that as well?

Seems like the thread was deleted, for some reason that I don't understand. (Maybe posting it in the VST Plugins subforum was the wrong place.)

Ahornberg

27 Sep 2021

oyvindur wrote:
27 Sep 2021
oyvindur wrote:
27 Sep 2021

Seems like the thread was deleted, for some reason that I don't understand.
And this thread is named "Softube Console 1 as MIDI controller for the SSL mixer".
I think you may find the expected information asking Softube, Presonus or Ardour.
I can't help you annyway here.

oyvindur

27 Sep 2021

Ahornberg wrote:
27 Sep 2021
oyvindur wrote:
27 Sep 2021

Seems like the thread was deleted, for some reason that I don't understand.
And this thread is named "Softube Console 1 as MIDI controller for the SSL mixer".
I think you may find the expected information asking Softube, Presonus or Ardour.
I know. Sorry about that. And thanks for your replies!

I just got a bit eager, hoping that proper Console One integration was within reach. Assuming people in this thread would share the enthusiasm and want proper integration, I posted a link to the other thread to continue discussion and possible information sharing there.

Ahornberg

28 Sep 2021

oyvindur wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Ahornberg wrote:
27 Sep 2021

I know. Sorry about that. And thanks for your replies!

I just got a bit eager, hoping that proper Console One integration was within reach. Assuming people in this thread would share the enthusiasm and want proper integration, I posted a link to the other thread to continue discussion and possible information sharing there.
The subforum "Reason Feature Requests" viewforum.php?f=6 might be the right place.

joeyluck

28 Sep 2021

oyvindur wrote:
27 Sep 2021
oyvindur wrote:
27 Sep 2021

Seems like the thread was deleted, for some reason that I don't understand. (Maybe posting it in the VST Plugins subforum was the wrong place.)
It was probably removed because you had posted about it three times—once in this thread in which other members were then replying, in the roadmap thread, and the thread that was created...all just minutes apart.

mostart

19 Nov 2021

Really interesting thread. Thanks everybody for your great work.

I'm trying to adapt this to my Akai MPD 226. Like to control Volume/Mute/Solo of the currently selected track. How would I configure your remotemap ? Are you adding all 16 channels separately as a control surface and then lock the channel 1 device to the SSL ?

mostart

21 Nov 2021

Ok now I tried this really nice Lua example https://github.com/maghul/Reason-KorgNa ... dio-Remote
Somehow it does ignore my Fader Moves without any feedback. I'd like to debug the Lua but can not find a way to do this.
Carlos mentions a tool called "Codec test". But I downloaded the SDK and it does not contain such a tool.

Does anyone know how I could output the value of certain variables in a Codec, to see what happens ?

dioxide

21 Nov 2021

mostart wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Really interesting thread. Thanks everybody for your great work.

I'm trying to adapt this to my Akai MPD 226. Like to control Volume/Mute/Solo of the currently selected track. How would I configure your remotemap ? Are you adding all 16 channels separately as a control surface and then lock the channel 1 device to the SSL ?
That's possible and I have a couple of MIDI controllers where I have split them into multiple Remote 'devices' so I can lock them to different devices in the Rack. My Console 1 codec isn't set up in this way though, it is set up using layers in Remote with the device locked to the Master Channel in Reason. So for your MPD perhaps you would use the pads to select one of 16 channels and the knobs / sliders would be mapped to the relevant channel.

Fusion

05 Dec 2021

How is the current script working? anyone got a video of all the functions? I am looking to buy something to mix/ master from hardware only, so I do not have to look at the laptop or click the mouse?

Currently have an Nektar p4, but have problems when I want to change settings on individual plugins in the master bus chain, I guess this will be the same with most devices. I understand I can map certain functions to the buttons, but I really want something I do not have to spend time setting up.

anyone know of anything that just works out the box to do the above?

bildoras

31 Dec 2021

Is the remote mapping file compatible with Console1 Fader, too? I have the Fader, the console is great but won't work with Reason.

• Information