Acid Techno Challenge 2021 begins - all welcome.

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
Jagwah

24 Sep 2021

After agreeing as best we can on the rules, the challenge can now begin. It will officially start tomorrow and run for 30 days. You are welcome to have already begun ;)

1) This is a challenge, not a competition. There are no prizes or winners but there is a deadline. The challenge officially begins tomorrow the 25th of September and will run for 30 days until the 25th of October. Every man and his dog are welcome to enter provided they use Reason in some way.

2) Everyone can submit one or two tracks.

3) Tempo restriction: 125 - 135 BPM. As one of the ideas was for these tracks to be dj mixable, they will need to be within a reasonable BPM range. Please remember to label your uploads with a BPM in the title.

Once the cut off date is passed, everyone is welcome to mix the tracks in a dj set, please share your links here so we can check them out!

Below is the video that inspired the challenge.

Have at it! :puf_bigsmile:

Last edited by Jagwah on 03 Apr 2022, edited 2 times in total.

dan_g

24 Sep 2021

I'm in mate!
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

Adabler
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2021

I am all in!

Would love to mix the tracks as well, but I don't have a digital setup.
:reason: 12, Win10

Jagwah

24 Sep 2021

dan_g wrote:
24 Sep 2021
I'm in mate!
Adabler wrote:
24 Sep 2021
I am all in!

Wicked you guys!!

@Adabler, there's loads of free software options with no need for controllers, try a google, might end up checking one out myself!

fullforce

24 Sep 2021

Adabler wrote:
24 Sep 2021
I am all in!

Dude. I'm all about acid.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Adabler
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2021

fullforce wrote:
24 Sep 2021
Adabler wrote:
24 Sep 2021
(...)
I only have an analog setup, are you suggesting you have a chemical setup suitable for the task? :-)
:reason: 12, Win10

fullforce

24 Sep 2021

Adabler wrote:
24 Sep 2021
fullforce wrote:
24 Sep 2021

I only have an analog setup, are you suggesting you have a chemical setup suitable for the task? :-)
I might have some. You want some?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2021

Alright

I am happy to be first in (yet probably the last chosen train to dancentral seeing Aciiid is not exactly the jam that I pump up to).

Wav File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbot4xlsqv0pd ... M.wav?dl=0

Please understand that while this is an open project for participants to include in Challenge Mixes, the work is still owned by me so no claiming any of it as yours, credit where credit due etc.

:-)
Last edited by Benedict on 25 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Jagwah

25 Sep 2021

Adabler wrote:
24 Sep 2021
I am all in!

I don't know how analogue your set up is but it's a requirement of Reason that you use some sort of modern computer, and these computers are capable of running multiple apps just like Reason - even at the same time! Look out for mixing apps, there are free ones kicking about.

Jagwah

25 Sep 2021

Benedict wrote:
25 Sep 2021
Alright

I am happy to be first in (yet probably the last chosen train to dancentral seeing Aciiid is not exactly the jam that I pump up to).
Thanks for kicking us off Benedict! I like your bouncy track and how you titled it :) I think lots of people on this forum are capable of entering and you may even inspire them to give it a go. Also feel free to drop another one here. No stress about people taking credit for your work, hopefully it will just end up in some mixes. I didn't see a BPM in your downloadable download, can you fix that up for reasons mentioned in the OP. Thanks and it's great to see you around theses parts again! :thumbup:

Popey
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2021

Here is my first entry and hopefully i get time to create a second as this has been a lot of fun to put together. Acid Dog is 132bpm and written in F Minor. I set out to create all sounds with reason 11 stock however with the flexibility in the rules i felt some acid vocals would benefit this track.

All sounds apart from vocals and a couple of impact fx are from reason 11. As per Oscar i did end up going to my sample library for the Kick but all other percussion is from Reason FSB.

wav available from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ml9vdjxclz82 ... DaiRa?dl=0

Billy+

26 Sep 2021

Interesting tracks so far :thumbup:

If you're looking for some useful patches try the refill from here:- Phuturetone-AnalogGrooveBoxesReFill.zip ;)

Melody303

27 Sep 2021

Working at 125bpm is the opposite of inspiring for me. I'm resenting the stuff I'm writing instead of loving it.
Not throwing in the towel just yet, but that's definitely low moral.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

artotaku

27 Sep 2021

Melody303 wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Working at 125bpm is the opposite of inspiring for me. I'm resenting the stuff I'm writing instead of loving it.
Maybe you can trick your brain by setting the tempo to 62.5 BPM but enter just notes with double timing, e. g. 32th notes instead of 16ths :lol:

PhillipOrdonez

27 Sep 2021

artotaku wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Melody303 wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Maybe you can trick your brain by setting the tempo to 62.5 BPM but enter just notes with double timing, e. g. 32th notes instead of 16ths :lol:
Or they can just do it in 62.5 and it will work to mix it time wise. It just will definitely not be acid house or techno.

Billy+

27 Sep 2021

Melody303 wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Strangely I'm normally ok at anything from 120-170 but I'm just not finding a tempo below 140 inspiring, I started with a simple 303 off beat and drums then increased tempo till it felt right and 140-145 just sits nice.

What tempo are you normally at?

Melody303

27 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Melody303 wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Strangely I'm normally ok at anything from 120-170 but I'm just not finding a tempo below 140 inspiring, I started with a simple 303 off beat and drums then increased tempo till it felt right and 140-145 just sits nice.

What tempo are you normally at?
Between 55bpm and 95bpm, and tending to the lower side of that range.

I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

stratatonic

27 Sep 2021

Popey wrote:
25 Sep 2021
As per Oscar i did end up going to my sample library for the Kick but all other percussion is from Reason FSB.
How can there be 2000+ Kicks in Reason and yet everyone's going to their sample library?

Are there no suitable Acid Techno Kicks in Reason? :shock:

Popey
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Popey wrote:
25 Sep 2021
As per Oscar i did end up going to my sample library for the Kick but all other percussion is from Reason FSB.
How can there be 2000+ Kicks in Reason and yet everyone's going to their sample library?

Are there no suitable Acid Techno Kicks in Reason? :shock:
Yeah there probably is some suitable but I was busy creating the track at that point and I like to work fast. Tried about 10-15 fsb kicks and then just grabbed a kick from my own library as it was taking too long for me.

Billy+

27 Sep 2021

Melody303 wrote:
27 Sep 2021

wow, is that normal for the genre?
I don't think I've ever tried writing below 120BPM.....

Loque

27 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Melody303 wrote:
27 Sep 2021

Da Funk from Daftpubk is around 112 BPM. Even not fully Acid, it was played on acid parties and the riff is clearly a 303.
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

27 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
27 Sep 2021

Da Funk from Daftpubk is around 112 BPM. Even not fully Acid, it was played on acid parties and the riff is clearly a 303.
Well it's all new to me as I don't do acid music and after listening to the collection in the kitchen thread I would have assumed it would be quicker.

I've tried a couple of attempts yesterday and today but I just couldn't get into it so will leave it to others

joeyluck

27 Sep 2021

FWIW I like tempo transitions. Is the goal to create a playlist or a massive, single track mix? Either way, someone could automate the tempo for the last few bars of a song to transition to the next. Slight transitions are probably good for the dance floor, but big transitions are cool for listening. Or even transitioning over time with smooth hills and valleys in tempo...

That said, I will adhere to the rules if I get a chance to write something for this 🙂

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Sweeping judgment aside, I made my own sounds in the mix as I always do.

Ok sorry, there was some sweeping in my statement too, so as I mostly do, particularly when I care about the results. not that the FSB sample set is bad as it clearly isn't, I just like to make my own sounds as much as possible so unless I need to work fast, like the Songwriting vids I made, or if I want specific sounds like MiniPops, I will make em all. No reflection on what may or may not be in the FSB, just on me as being keen on making my own thing, which is not inclined to indicate that those using samples are being, lazy, unoriginal, or cheating in any way, well mostly not anyway...

Oh all this clarification stuff is getting hard.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

zoidkirb

28 Sep 2021

I did mine with just a single instance of Monotone, a Kong, and a Jackbox 909.
Plus a bunch of players and the Quarmat OTT Combi.
Tempo is 125.
Leaving it here , but I will probably have another look at the mix eventually.

• Information