New RE Photon Particle Splitter by LoveOne

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Bes
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2021

Photon is a variation of the classic "shimmer" effect that was popularised by Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois in the early 1980s. Their effect combined a reverb with a pitch shifter in a feedback loop, but Photon can do so much more!

Photon has a highly configurable routing that allows you to reverse the signal flow between the reverb and the pitch shifter. You can also shape the sound in endless ways by adding filter, distortion, amplitude modulation, and phaser effects into the signal chain. And if these built-in effects don't provide exactly what you need, just use the send/return sockets on the back panel to insert your own!

Photon is different in other ways too. Its pitch shifter uses a granular engine that adds an interesting "gritty", "glitchy" character to the sound that works particularly very well for ambient music. Even the feedback loop is configurable with an optionally tempo-sync:ed delay. CV inputs for all relevant controls and CV outputs for all internal LFOs complete the package!
- Certified Reason expert

dvdrtldg

22 Sep 2021

Looks awesome. And after a lengthy period spent down the Players rabbit hole, it's nice to see a new device that's stacked with CV modulation possibilities around the back

Loque

22 Sep 2021

Interesting. Gratulation on the release. And that is what i would call CV connections 👍
Reason12, Win10

Faastwalker

22 Sep 2021

Wow! Looks great. Good to see LoveOne back. Love their RE’s.

huggermugger

22 Sep 2021

Love One has a gorgeous granular synth too, and it's similarly well-connected.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... celerator/
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 6.53.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 6.53.01 PM.png (634.58 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

teddymcw

22 Sep 2021

Really great stuff congrats!

challism

22 Sep 2021

Congrats on the release. I hope you sell a bunch of these.

And I agree about the amount of CVs on the back. It's a damn shame that so many of the Players exist without CV... after all, the back of the rack is a very important and unique aspect of the Reason experience; it's where Reason breathes and thrives, for many of us. LoveOne has always been very CV friendly. They built one of my favorite MIDI/CV device in the shop... MIDI-CV Converter! This thing is amazing; it's typically used multiple times in every project. So useful! for anyone who uses players. It's a MUST HAVE!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (26.39 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Steedus
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2021

They should put their name on it.

challism

22 Sep 2021

I never noticed it isn't branded..... good catch!

Their other devices need to be branded, too. MIDI CV Converter has their logo. Not seeing it on either of their synths or effects.
I wonder why LoveOne have chosen not to put their name on most of their REs. Hmmm, interesting.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.47 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2021

Nothing wrong with branding.. but it really works without it on this one!

BRIGGS

22 Sep 2021

Timeless design. : )
r11s

Faastwalker

22 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
22 Sep 2021
Congrats on the release. I hope you sell a bunch of these.

And I agree about the amount of CVs on the back. It's a damn shame that so many of the Players exist without CV... after all, the back of the rack is a very important and unique aspect of the Reason experience; it's where Reason breathes and thrives, for many of us. LoveOne has always been very CV friendly. They built one of my favorite MIDI/CV device in the shop... MIDI-CV Converter! This thing is amazing; it's typically used multiple times in every project. So useful! for anyone who uses players. It's a MUST HAVE!
Capture.JPG
A god send that one. But I agree it’s a shame Players are generally missing CV connectivity. Especially as I like to use to control Eurorack. Much fun ensues. Well, it does once I employ LoveOne’s MIDI to CV Player.

AttenuationHz

22 Sep 2021

Wow, this is great!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

RoryM0

23 Sep 2021

Hi LoveOne slightly off-topic but I noticed the other day that Proton is missing HD on a panel element: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7524779

Ottostrom

23 Sep 2021

Congrats on the release!
Looks like a very interesting device :)

hamzter
RE Developer

23 Sep 2021

Thank you for your kind words, everyone!

I'm very pleased to be back after a couple of years of not doing any music-related development work at all!

Designing Photon was a very interesting experience. I've learned a *lot* about reverbs and pitch shifters. It turns out that they are much, much harder to build than I thought at first! :D Also, the GUI for this device took a long time to get right. I was very fortunate indeed to have a great group of testers that helped me fix the not-so-great UX choices I made initially. :puf_bigsmile:

I hope to be able to continue tweaking Photon in the upcoming weeks and months. One thing I'd like to look closer at is the pitch shifter. It's using a granular-based engine right now, but there are other approaches to pitch shifting I'd like to play with as well.

Cheers,
Gustav

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2021

Sounds great. Not looking to buy more stuff at the moment, but I'll definitely keep this one in mind for when I'm looking for something new to play with.
Big fan of shimmer reverbs in general.
Nice to see you back LoveOne :-)

jamespember
Reason Studios

23 Sep 2021

hamzter wrote:
23 Sep 2021
Thank you for your kind words, everyone!

I'm very pleased to be back after a couple of years of not doing any music-related development work at all!

Designing Photon was a very interesting experience. I've learned a *lot* about reverbs and pitch shifters. It turns out that they are much, much harder to build than I thought at first! :D Also, the GUI for this device took a long time to get right. I was very fortunate indeed to have a great group of testers that helped me fix the not-so-great UX choices I made initially. :puf_bigsmile:

I hope to be able to continue tweaking Photon in the upcoming weeks and months. One thing I'd like to look closer at is the pitch shifter. It's using a granular-based engine right now, but there are other approaches to pitch shifting I'd like to play with as well.

Cheers,
Gustav
Awesome work on this Gustav, great device. I just lost track of time playing with this for an hour this evening :D

DJMaytag

10 Oct 2021

Have you noticed any difference in the way audio is handled in this RE in R12 versus R10? It's doing something odd in R12 that I think Reason might have changed, causing a few devices new problems (or potential problems).

See the last post in viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7516332

Whoopdee

19 Oct 2021

I'm wondering what is up with the logo of this RE. The rainbow is supposed to have 7 colors in the spectrum, but here I only see 6...

jam-s

19 Oct 2021

Whoopdee wrote:
19 Oct 2021
I'm wondering what is up with the logo of this RE. The rainbow is supposed to have 7 colors in the spectrum, but here I only see 6...
That rainbow after the prism is also physically impossible as the yellow and green band are swapped and thus not in order of increasing wavelength.

Whoopdee

19 Oct 2021

jam-s wrote:
19 Oct 2021
Whoopdee wrote:
19 Oct 2021
That rainbow after the prism is also physically impossible as the yellow and green band are swapped and thus not in order of increasing wavelength.
True, good observation. Maybe the developer can chime in and explain their reasoning or fix it to show the original 7 spectrum as nature intended.

DJMaytag

19 Oct 2021

Whoopdee wrote:
19 Oct 2021
It's hard to differentiate between indigo & violet, so it's often just purple to represent the two.

I have a bigger issue with the yellow and green being mixed up.

AttenuationHz

19 Oct 2021

LGBTIQ upside down I take it?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

• Information