[SOLVED] FM Synthesis help

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
thedjjudah

21 Sep 2021

So I've been doing some sound design in Algoritm and I've run into something. Not really a problem, just odd behavior I can't figure out:

When I'm playing my patch, it sounds fine until I play above G3. Then the patch changes completely and it seems like there's no FM, just plain sine waves. Does this mean that at a certain point, the modulator goes out of the modulation range, and therefore has no effect on the sine waves?

My patch is attached.

Thanks everybody!
Attachments
RAPWB.zip
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Last edited by thedjjudah on 30 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

zoidkirb

22 Sep 2021

On the far right of the synth, 3 knobs down there is a control "key scaling fm amount" set that back to it's default and you might fix your issue.

thedjjudah

22 Sep 2021

I appreciate your feedback! Unfortunately, it's not working. I already performed key scaling in the patch that was in the opening post.

Thanks again for trying.

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2021

Yes you are right the first time: above a certain point, the interactions will not give useful results so they either:
1. become silent because that is how the straight physics in the matter works, eg. Modulator +12 is probably above useful hearing, or
2. get silenced as all you will get is aliasing from Nyquist bounceback

You can try upping the Sample Rate of Reason to 96 to see if that changes anything, seeing you move the Nyquist point up a few octaves, but mostly, it won't really change a lot. You can even try installing loading Kushview Element and choosing all manner of oversampling but again. probably no change.

So if you are after brighter tones, it is often in the using lower Mod Tunings to create Mids with Highs than to go straight into ultrasonics in hope they deliver a DX Rhodes shinier than Wonderperson's underpants.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

thedjjudah

22 Sep 2021

Thanks a lot Benedict!!

• Information