Acid techno challenge 2021

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
Jagwah

22 Sep 2021

A few of us were recently inspired by a Youtube video which I will post at the end of this. After a bit of conversation it seems like a cool idea to make an acid techno challenge for ourselves. The idea is to have some fun, get a little inspired to do what we are all here to do, and also have a bunch of tracks that can be dj mixed.

I want to open up the rules to everyone, so I will post the basic rules and from there everyone is welcome to add their suggestions and we will refine the rules based on what ideas we can agree on.

1) This is a challenge, not a competition. There are no prizes but there will be a deadline. How does one month from the TBA start date sound? Also as it is a challenge, everyone from Ryan Harlin to Joeyluck can enter if they so wish!

2) Everyone can submit one or two tracks. This means you too Melody303 : D

3) Tempo restrictions. As one of the ideas was for these tracks to be dj mixable, they will need to be within a reasonable BPM range. I was thinking 125 - 135 BPM. Also it might be an idea to add the BPM to your track title. In case you weren't aware, it's pretty common for a dj to mix tracks at tempos that suit the dj set, and it's common for tracks to be mixed a few BPM faster or slower than the producer produced / imagined them being played. To keep it reasonable, we could label tracks with desired BPMs, and hopefully any djs mixing these can keep relatively close to them.

Let's work on refining these rules so most of us are happy with them, also open to any suggestions!

Last edited by Jagwah on 23 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

22 Sep 2021

What version of stock are you referring to?

Stock stock
Stock suite
Stock R+

Stock is really a bit of a grey area now....... ;)

Loque

22 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
22 Sep 2021

Stock stock
Stock suite
Stock R+

Subtractor and NNXT only.
Reason12, Win10

Melody303

22 Sep 2021

This song was all stock Reason 1.0 instruments and effects and nothing but them, for instance. :)

However, I don't really see the need to limit ourselves that much. This is an acid challenge, not a software-minimalism challenge. It's a bit silly to restrict the proper 303 we can have from the ABL RE, but the tempo requirement is more frustrating for me personally. :P
How about half the desired tempo? I mean, that's still mixable. :P
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

Melody303

22 Sep 2021

Maybe we need to roll back a few versions and use the Rebirth Input Machine? (Kidding, no one needs the technical headache) :P
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.

Popey
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2021

All sounds good to me. Just to be clear we are adding complete tracks (soundcloud etc) and not the reason files. I only ask as my pc is old so will probably have to bounce a few things to audio. I can always save the patches and midi should anyone want them.

Adabler
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2021

I'm in! I am not sure about the stock rule, so I might break that.

Also, who will be mixing the tracks?
:reason: 12, Win10

reusenoise

22 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
22 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
22 Sep 2021

Stock stock
Stock suite
Stock R+

Subtractor and NNXT only.
Count me in,Subtractor only for all the sounds including drums

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2021

Not a challenge that fits me personally (too narrow and only having to use stock devices puts me off), but I'm glad to see some engagement focused around creativity around here. We need that.

Noise
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2021

Love the idea of the fixed Tempo. This will be a great community mix! Hope to ear some real bangers.
We should invite joey beltram to mix it.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

fullforce

22 Sep 2021

OH I'M SO IN
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

22 Sep 2021

Noise wrote:
22 Sep 2021
Love the idea of the fixed Tempo. This will be a great community mix! Hope to ear some real bangers.
We should invite joey beltram to mix it.
DJ Misjah
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

22 Sep 2021

Melody303 wrote:
22 Sep 2021
Maybe we need to roll back a few versions and use the Rebirth Input Machine? (Kidding, no one needs the technical headache) :P
I did some stuff with that on my Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 with the audio loopback thing. It worked but yeah, kinda clumsy.

fullforce

22 Sep 2021

So does this challenge include making a video of how you made your track?

fullforce

22 Sep 2021

So stock soundbank only? No external samples?

fullforce

22 Sep 2021

You guys DO NOT WANNA know what I already got going on here by just doing it old style. The hell with my template. Start from scratch. Don't use 12 mix channels for drums. Back to basic. LOVE IT.

Jagwah

22 Sep 2021

All I know at this point is that Thor is mint for acid sounds, so is Alligator, and don't forget to add some distortion!

Maybe keep it stock according to what is standard in R12 to keep it simple? Some seem happy with the restrictions and some don't so may need to go to a poll on this one.

Hoping some.admins can join as they miss out with comps usually and if we're lucky maybe some RS peeps can join too.

joeyluck

22 Sep 2021

You know I'm a fan of challenges with some restrictions :) but I'm with Melody in terms of synths at least. Melody seems to have been the Reason community's biggest contributor of acid/303 music in recent years and I think that should count for something when considering rules. If having an acid theme, it would be a real shame to omit ABL3.

ABL3 is regarded as the best software 303 emulation and it holds a special place in the Reason and RE world, because ABL3 made its debut as a RE (the VST/AU followed about a year later). ABL2 was fantastic and was the best before ABL3 came along and improved upon that. Years of us Reason users begging developers to port their existing VSTs to RE, and then we got the new version of an award winning plugin, the best 303 emulation, delivered as a RE first. That was pretty big IMO. And it had the VST world finally feeling how we felt, begging, "When will we have the VST?"

Whatever is decided, I look forward to listening to the songs :)

Proboscis

22 Sep 2021

And here we go again….. instead of this being an antidote to the current vibe of the forum, it’s just carried over to a new thread.

“Stock’ is whatever that means to you, with the version you’re on.

Is Reason really so incapable that great music can’t be made with over 20,000 sounds across 20 instruments, 30 FX, 8 utilities and 4 players ?

Can’t this just be about showcase of the core product we are all here for? And the incredible amount of talent that this community possesses?

Popey
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2021

I am starting to think we should just let people use whatever reason devices they want if it means more people have fun and enter the challenge. Perhaps even let people use a kick sample like Oscar did. If you want to just use stock do so, if you want to use abl3 do so. Just no vst and solely reason rack devices.

Just think as their is no prize let's just make this thread a happy place of likeminded people using Oscars video as an inspiration and for us all to appreciate the tunes that come out of this community.

We can always add detail of what was used in the track if people are interested.

Jagwah

23 Sep 2021

Yes at this point it makes sense to do away with that restriction. It is what Reason has become so in the interest of keeping this challenge going there are now no restrictions in that sense. For example some people are using Reason+ in other DAWs, so I think as long as people are using Reason in some way it can still be a showcase of Reason like we were initially hoping for.

If this challenge goes well I will be up for more and then we can look at doing a Reason restricted challenge, it won't be open to debate either ;)

Original post updated (just removed the restriction rule).

Jagwah

23 Sep 2021

Melody303 wrote:
22 Sep 2021
How about half the desired tempo? I mean, that's still mixable. :P
Just double your usual tempo and work in half time, then at the end add a 4x4 kick, simples :p

Popey
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
23 Sep 2021
Yes at this point it makes sense to do away with that restriction. It is what Reason has become so in the interest of keeping this challenge going there are now no restrictions in that sense. For example some people are using Reason+ in other DAWs, so I think as long as people are using Reason in some way it can still be a showcase of Reason like we were initially hoping for.

If this challenge goes well I will be up for more and then we can look at doing a Reason restricted challenge, it won't be open to debate either ;)

Original post updated (just removed the restriction rule).
Seems the logical way to go if it means more people take part.

I had already deleted the legend and abl3 in my idea so personally going to stick to stock r11 (non suite) now but each to their own. Gotta say I have never created an acid patch on any synth so already had fun learning how to do this in subtractor.

To all that enter let's have fun, bring forth the tunes and enjoy 😀

dan_g

23 Sep 2021

i have some great 303 combis with stock synths. i would also love to see some C2 Patches with more knobs and potis to mirror more of the orginal controls of a 303.

btw. i'm in!

;)
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

Melody303

23 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
22 Sep 2021
You know I'm a fan of challenges with some restrictions :) but I'm with Melody in terms of synths at least. Melody seems to have been the Reason community's biggest contributor of acid/303 music in recent years and I think that should count for something when considering rules. If having an acid theme, it would be a real shame to omit ABL3.
Thanks for the acknowledgement Joey. :)

Anyway, I don't know when you guys are starting the challenge. I guarantee in advance I'll submit my entry in a day from seeing it, but I won't be home this weekend. If it starts Sunday or earlier, you can expect an entry from me by the end of Sunday, and the discussion in the thread has influenced my intentions: I intend to have at least 1 acid line from ABL3, 1 from the Subtractor, and 1 from Monotone perhaps? We'll see. :)
I'll make sure it's properly mixable (both on the intro and outro sides) at whatever tempo you decide, but I'll try to have tempo automation going to get the meat of the track more to my own liking, if I can make it sound good despite such transitions. :P

• Information