Reason 12 has arrived

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
cincyjack

18 Sep 2021

Posted in RRP section and opened ticket with RS but no feedback:
If any other plugin is also added to a song in Studio One along with Reason, Studio One will continue to run in the background when the program is exited; the Studio One process must be cancelled in Windows.

Refreshed everything.

Seems to me RRP is not unloading. Certainly takes a while to load. I think only Alchemy takes longer, as that plugin is prob 5 years old and abandoned.

Wish someone could verify it’s not just me…
Reason 12.2.5
I7, Windows 10, 16 GB RAM
Radeon HD 5600

Proboscis

18 Sep 2021

Launching the demo again today, I really can't believe the resolution is worse in the browser window at 100% than Reason 10 . And this was a key 'feature' of the release.

WTF would I be compelled to upgrade for a worse user experience ? And with all the extra free labor they scam out of beta testing fanboys, they still released this piece of garbage. Then sugar-coat their actions with a 'plan of things to come' filled with trite music metaphors and 'by the way, the price is going up, so hurry and upgrade to this piece of garbage in the next two weeks, with no promises that any fixes are coming'.

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Launching the demo again today, I really can't believe the resolution is worse in the browser window at 100% than Reason 10 . And this was a key 'feature' of the release.

WTF would I be compelled to upgrade for a worse user experience ? And with all the extra free labor they scam out of beta testing fanboys, they still released this piece of garbage. Then sugar-coat their actions with a 'plan of things to come' filled with trite music metaphors and 'by the way, the price is going up, so hurry and upgrade to this piece of garbage in the next two weeks, with no promises that any fixes are coming'.
GPU rendering can throw a few spanners in the works because there are so many unique to GPU peculiarities to consider. It shows clear on my machine. Your GPU could have default settings favouring performance that automatically reduces resolution beyond a given depth or something ...

But they've stated that this was released before completion now. We know this is really an early preview and not an actual launch.

Inzajeano

19 Sep 2021

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing performance issues in Reason 12?

I’ve been using v12 for a few days now & unfortunately it’s extremely glitchy.
For me, it’s as bad as v11.
Now before you all start fretting I think I have a pretty decent system:

Dual Xeon Mac Pro
128GB Ram.
NVME and SSD drives (No mechanical drives at all).
Radeon RX580 8GB
RME FF800 interface.

I’m baffled and saddened at the issues I’m having.

EDIT: My system, my software are all up to date.

Proboscis

19 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
19 Sep 2021
GPU rendering can throw a few spanners in the works because there are so many unique to GPU peculiarities to consider. It shows clear on my machine. Your GPU could have default settings favouring performance that automatically reduces resolution beyond a given depth or something ...

But they've stated that this was released before completion now. We know this is really an early preview and not an actual launch.
While my studio PC is far from the latest, I have absolutely no display issues with any other software.

It's within the system requirements stated on ReasonStudio's website.

The release notes for version 12 claim 'Reason is now high resolution'. The truth is, for some users, it's actually low resolution. Lower than before, on some GUI elements.

Consumers should not be expected to deep-dive into settings, nor have the knowledge to, in order for a release to work. And for an update to be worse than it's previous iteration, that's very bad form.

While I appreciate your view that there are numerous GPU peculiarities on a range of configurations - that's a software company's primary concern (or it should be) for a flagship product to work.

And if this is 'an early preview', it should not have been released. Consumers should not be forced to be beta testers for a rushed, half-baked rollout

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2021
While my studio PC is far from the latest, I have absolutely no display issues with any other software.
This is effectively pre-release. This is how software sometimes is at this stage - especially when it's a new GUI using GPU acceleration.

Most software just makes use of the popular GUI libraries, so any peculiarities will be ironed out by the library makers years ago.

There are lots of unknown unknowns with GPU, accelerated, or synced rendering - especially low end or older GPUs.
Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2021
The release notes for version 12 claim 'Reason is now high resolution'. The truth is, for some users, it's actually low resolution. Lower than before, on some GUI elements.
I've already explained - it's not a complete release. Because it's not finished, it's ... ... ... not finished. That means there will be issues for some users because ... wait for it ... it's not finished.

The issues you are seeing are because it's not finished ... and ... some of the 1000x different GPUs and computer configurations out there might throw in issues that wouldn't have shown up during internal or beta testing.

That's just the nature of rendering on GPUs. These are normal glitches at this stage. They have to be ironed out on a case by case basis if they do show up.
Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Consumers should not be expected to deep-dive into settings, nor have the knowledge to, in order for a release to work. And for an update to be worse than it's previous iteration, that's very bad form.
Again, this was released early.

Because it's not finished ... by definition it means there is more work to be done. They've already stated there's more work to do on the HD rendering.
Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2021
While I appreciate your view that there are numerous GPU peculiarities on a range of configurations - that's a software company's primary concern (or it should be) for a flagship product to work.
That's pretty obvious.

I'm not suggesting it's not the company's primary concern.

What I pointed out to you which you seem to be refusing to acknowledge is that it's an EARLY RELEASE. Ergo, it's not finished. There is still work to be done.
Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2021
And if this is 'an early preview', it should not have been released. Consumers should not be forced to be beta testers for a rushed, half-baked rollout
I agree, they should have been very open and clear that it was not a completed release before they ran promotions for it or implied that R+ would entitle subscribers to a completed R12 on 1st September.
Last edited by avasopht on 19 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Proboscis

19 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
19 Sep 2021
I've already explained - it's not a complete release. Because it's not finished, it's ... ... ... not finished. That means there will be issues for some users because ... wait for it ... it's not finished.
Ok man. We're starting to dance around in circles on the same thing.

ReasonStudios have released an unfinished, pre-release software that they expect people to purchase.

A product that, for some, offers a WORSE user experience. Not better. Not the same. But worse.

What an amazing offer. TAKE MY MONEY ! Actually no, jack the price up by 50%, make no promises of a fix, and then TAKE MY MONEY !

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Ok man. We're starting to dance around in circles on the same thing.

ReasonStudios have released an unfinished, pre-release software that they expect people to purchase.

A product that, for some, offers a WORSE user experience. Not better. Not the same. But worse.

What an amazing offer. TAKE MY MONEY ! Actually no, jack the price up by 50%, make no promises of a fix, and then TAKE MY MONEY !
We're going in circles because you're choosing to ignore what's being explained.

They did make promises of a fix. This has been explained to you.

This is a peculiar communication tactic.

Proboscis

19 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
19 Sep 2021
We're going in circles because you're choosing to ignore what's being explained.

Peculiar perhaps in that you don't understand what's been stated in the official comment from ReasonStudios.

Not sure which part of the CEO's comment of 'not a promise' is understood to mean 'a promise'.

As it stands, the product offer should clearly be marked as [BETA]

image_2021-09-20_091133.png
image_2021-09-20_091133.png (33.69 KiB) Viewed 16956 times

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Peculiar perhaps in that you don't understand what's been stated in the official comment from ReasonStudios.

Not sure which part of the CEO's comment of 'not a promise' is understood to mean 'a promise'.

They have addressed this directly in the forums. This has been explained to you twice before.

And again, given it's effectively pre-release and they're still beta testing, these graphical glitches are DEFINITELY being worked on. It's strange for someone to persist to make out that they are not going to work on serious graphical glitches for a product they are developing.

They're definitely working on the HD graphical glitches. It makes no sense pretending they're not.

Anyway, given it's been explained to you that they are definitely working on the graphical glitches, and it's been explained to you that they've stated this in the forums, and you are persisting to pretend you don't understand this, I'll end comms with you here as it's clear that you will persist with this 👌

EnochLight

19 Sep 2021

Inzajeano wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing performance issues in Reason 12?

I’ve been using v12 for a few days now & unfortunately it’s extremely glitchy.
For me, it’s as bad as v11.
Now before you all start fretting I think I have a pretty decent system:

Dual Xeon Mac Pro
128GB Ram.
NVME and SSD drives (No mechanical drives at all).
Radeon RX580 8GB
RME FF800 interface.

I’m baffled and saddened at the issues I’m having.

EDIT: My system, my software are all up to date.
Yes, there is a beta being tested that will hopefully address performance issues people have been seeing. That said, I'd submit this as a bug report if I were you just to be safe...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

TrueStory

19 Sep 2021

Nielsen wrote:
01 Sep 2021
There’s really nothing for me in Reason 12. High resolution is great but I wouldn’t pay for it alone.

I understand that the upgraded Combinator is a big deal, but I have never really learned to fully appreciate it. All my creative energy is focused on the music, so all these customized control surfaces don’t come with a sense of familiarity, and thereby inconvenient for getting things done quickly. I totally get it’s a sound designers dream though.

Reason 12 would have been a day one purchase if it came with VST3 support, which is overdue.
Same here. RS got me last Black Friday with their "hurry up and upgrade to 11" sale. Then they dropped new instruments sold separately almost immediately after. Then came Reason +.

I was really hoping for some solid sequencer upgrades like the ability to set scales on the piano roll. Instead we get high resolution with fans spinning on the back of devices. I think I'll skip out on the $129 upgrade and wait for VST3 implementation feedback before upgrading. If I can use VSTs like Melodyne 5 and RX Connect with no issues then I'm sold.

Proboscis

19 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
19 Sep 2021
I'll end comms with you here
I 100% endorse this plan of action. :thumbs_up:

Proboscis

19 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Yes, there is a beta being tested that will hopefully address performance issues people have been seeing. That said, I'd submit this as a bug report if I were you just to be safe...
Yup. The BETA is being tested on paying customers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pquenin

20 Sep 2021

So I have R11, that is working fine, and R12 that I can't use at the moment due to performance issues.
So I use R11 in the meantime.
But I wonder what have happened if I was a Reason+ user... I suppose it's impossible to revert to a safe situation once you have upgraded to the last Reason+ version ?

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2021

pquenin wrote:
20 Sep 2021
But I wonder what have happened if I was a Reason+ user... I suppose it's impossible to revert to a safe situation once you have upgraded to the last Reason+ version ?
No.

Maybe if you had a direct Reason 11 download it might let you log in, but I've not tried.

This is a real shame and makes R+ a real bum deal. Makes no sense to roll it out like that.

gullum

20 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2021
EnochLight wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Yup. The BETA is being tested on paying customers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
no the paying are bug reporters

AttenuationHz

20 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2021
avasopht wrote:
19 Sep 2021

Oh my... wow. The roadmap is a plan, not a promise. As in they plan to release a roadmap every so often but are making no promises.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

gullum

20 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2021

Oh my... wow. The roadmap is a plan, not a promise. As in they plan to release a roadmap every so often but are making no promises.
as in I plan to run the marathon under 3 hours but I can't promise I will make it under 3 hours I'm still finishing the marathon

AttenuationHz

20 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
20 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
20 Sep 2021

as in I plan to run the marathon under 3 hours but I can't promise I will make it under 3 hours I'm still finishing the marathon
Well good luck with that :D
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

gullum

20 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
20 Sep 2021
gullum wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Well good luck with that :D
well maybe that is the same as the road map from RS I know I won't make my plan

cincyjack

21 Sep 2021

cincyjack wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Posted in RRP section and opened ticket with RS but no feedback:
If any other plugin is also added to a song in Studio One along with Reason, Studio One will continue to run in the background when the program is exited; the Studio One process must be cancelled in Windows.

Refreshed everything.

Seems to me RRP is not unloading. Certainly takes a while to load. I think only Alchemy takes longer, as that plugin is prob 5 years old and abandoned.

Wish someone could verify it’s not just me…
The issue was RRP using online authorization.
Though standalone Reason was authorized to my computer, the plugin was not.
Open RRP settings and disable "remember my password."
I feel that if Reason is authorized by computer, the plugin should automatically reflect that preference.
RRP loads faster, duh.
Reason 12.2.5
I7, Windows 10, 16 GB RAM
Radeon HD 5600

Proboscis

21 Sep 2021

Back to the topic of "Reason 12 has arrived", which is soon going to be eclipsed in responses by the price increase thread, here's a post about a new feature

The 'Mixer' in the new Combinator. In concept it's good to be there, but it doesn't do anything much, does it ! And it can't be removed.

A fresh, modern GUI on the already existing 6:2 line mixer would have been nice to see. The rack unit size is the same, and there's enough real-state to have allowed 8 pairs, each with their own volume, pan, mute & solo.

This is an opinion more than a complaint. In reality, they way I did things before (Open Combinator>Insert 14:2 'big' desk) remains unchanged.

I'm just speculating that they could have put a tad more thought into it than just being an audio merger.

Proboscis

21 Sep 2021

Dimensionally, there's enough horizontal space to implement 8x input controls, with pan, m/s and aux.

MiniMixer.jpg
MiniMixer.jpg (121.63 KiB) Viewed 16452 times

Proboscis

22 Sep 2021

They still haven't given any thought to revising the color options, nor the poor text contrast on darker colors.

Very disappointing.
image_2021-09-22_155454.png
image_2021-09-22_155454.png (34.53 KiB) Viewed 16429 times

• Information