What's missing? A RE that can help with creating combi2 patches?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
pongasoft
RE Developer

18 Sep 2021

I have not used Combinator 2.0 myself, but I was wondering what is missing that could be implemented as a RE (most likely a utility I suppose) that could help in creating Combinator 2.0 devices?

Looking for ideas for my next RE.... ;)

Yan

Loque

18 Sep 2021

A device, which generates a continues note with a gate. Maybe the note and gate can also be changed, and turned on and off.

The problem is, that a few instruments require a note input to generate output from external input. That is pretty anoying and makes it a bit hard to have the instruments as FX inside a Combinator.
A sequencer would produce continiously gate signals, which is changing the sound, at least making it on/off.
By sending a constant signal to a CV or gate on the back, the signal gets stopped, if i play stop on the sequencer (or maybe the instrument itself is resetting the gate signal, i dont know exactly).
Reason12, Win10

Exowildebeest

18 Sep 2021

A mixer that improves on the 14:2 mixer. With better EQ, a little compressor on each channel and all sends with pre/post fader selection. A mini-SSL or something like that :) Possibly with an additional warmth/saturation/mojo knob for some extra spice.

pongasoft
RE Developer

18 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
18 Sep 2021
A device, which generates a continues note with a gate. Maybe the note and gate can also be changed, and turned on and off.

The problem is, that a few instruments require a note input to generate output from external input. That is pretty anoying and makes it a bit hard to have the instruments as FX inside a Combinator.
A sequencer would produce continiously gate signals, which is changing the sound, at least making it on/off.
By sending a constant signal to a CV or gate on the back, the signal gets stopped, if i play stop on the sequencer (or maybe the instrument itself is resetting the gate signal, i dont know exactly).
Could you provide an example? I am not sure I am following.

Loque

18 Sep 2021

pongasoft wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
18 Sep 2021

Could you provide an example? I am not sure I am following.
Like this one. Its The Legend and the Audio is routed through the filter, but you need to play a note on The LEgend to produce an output.

Sure, i will ask RIchard from Synapse, if he would mind to change this, but i wouldnt bet on this...

And such an FX could be used as a simple note generator to control something as well, because in the end its just a CV signal. THe problem is really, that the signal on the CV input is reset if you use simple CV. Guess it needs a retrigger on "Playback Stop".
Attachments
LegendFilter.zip
(2.23 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Reason12, Win10

challism

18 Sep 2021

Here are a few ideas:
I would love to see a reverse version of your A/B 12 Stereo Switch. But instead of 12 inputs and one output, one input and 12 outputs.
I would also love to see this 12 way switch made available as a CV switch.
Both of these ideas could be used in Combi 2 creation. I suppose there are work-arounds (like using multiple instances of the A/B CV Switch, but it would be great to have these features in one device.

Not really Combi related, but a Player that is solely intended for note taking is still something that is sorely missing from the shop/rack.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
18 Sep 2021

Not this?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ote-latch/
Then use note filter so the latched note doesn’t play a sound?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Re8et
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2021

A device that hacks into midi/cv of devices that does not support certain features, or that improves them...
For example Drumstix drum computer has a matrix built in that does not output gates, also many vst's don't have midi out .
I have no idea, but it would be great.

Noise
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2021

Really don't know if it's possible, but a device or some hack to make another RE change patches.
It bothers me the need to open the combinator to swap the preset in a particular device.
We could just navigate patches from the combi panel for the targeted device inside the combi. ( Next patch / previous)
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Loque

19 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
18 Sep 2021

Not this?
Thanks. I will try it.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
19 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
19 Sep 2021

Not this?
Thanks. I will try it.
Didn’t this one do something like that too?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ote-stand/
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ottostrom

19 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
19 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
19 Sep 2021

Not this?
Thanks. I will try it.
This one should work as well:

moofi

19 Sep 2021

You can aswell simply take a Matrix Pattern Sequencer and create the notes with "tie" turned on so the singlesteps are connected and put out a constant note.
Ottostrom wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
19 Sep 2021

Thanks. I will try it.
This one should work as well:

pongasoft
RE Developer

19 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Here are a few ideas:
I would love to see a reverse version of your A/B 12 Stereo Switch. But instead of 12 inputs and one output, one input and 12 outputs.
Both of these ideas could be used in Combi 2 creation. I suppose there are work-arounds (like using multiple instances of the A/B CV Switch, but it would be great to have these features in one device.

Not really Combi related, but a Player that is solely intended for note taking is still something that is sorely missing from the shop/rack.
Ok for the extensions on A/B 12 variations. I will keep that in mind.

For the note taking note player, I guess I am not sure what this is. Is there a note taking "other device" that you can point me to? By "note taking" are you saying entering text (or note as in "midi note")? What does the device do exactly?

pongasoft
RE Developer

19 Sep 2021

moofi wrote:
19 Sep 2021
You can aswell simply take a Matrix Pattern Sequencer and create the notes with "tie" turned on so the singlesteps are connected and put out a constant note.
The idea of this thread was to propose REs that would do what is not available at all or only available by hacking other devices. It's great to propose workarounds, but that is not the point of this thread. For example, if you need to use thor to do X (X being not making sound with thor, but simply using it as a/b switch for example), then X is a good candidate to be its own device.

At least that is what I am looking for. Simple devices that do one thing to simplify the life of creating combinators without requiring to bend what other devices are doing...

pongasoft
RE Developer

19 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
19 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
19 Sep 2021

Not this?
Thanks. I will try it.
Let me know if this particular device is accomplishing exactly what you had in mind.

moofi

19 Sep 2021

Actually I find the MPS a pretty simple device for that purpose as I already use it to produce that effect when necessary. I even welcome the additional functionality it delivers through it being a sequencer because I can start or stop the connected device by the sequencer steps.. It´s different with Thor where you got a whole synth built around a simple A/B switch. In the end it was not only a help in Otto´s direction but yours aswell, to possibly prevent you from creating a device that´s not really needed unless it´s got some fancy extrashizzle which then in turn would at least a little bit defy the purpose of a simple RE for that field of use.
pongasoft wrote:
19 Sep 2021
moofi wrote:
19 Sep 2021
The idea of this thread was to propose REs that would do what is not available at all or only available by hacking other devices. It's great to propose workarounds, but that is not the point of this thread. For example, if you need to use thor to do X (X being not making sound with thor, but simply using it as a/b switch for example), then X is a good candidate to be its own device.

At least that is what I am looking for. Simple devices that do one thing to simplify the life of creating combinators without requiring to bend what other devices are doing...

guitfnky

19 Sep 2021

I would like a device that can do some basic comparison functions (this signal minus that signal, logic, etc.). there are already devices that do this, but they’re mostly a pain to use, or just lack good documentation and support. or they’re overkill for the task (e.g. using Thor for that first one).

a well-thought out, easy to use device for these sorts of things would be really welcome, IMO.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

19 Sep 2021

pongasoft wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
19 Sep 2021

Thanks. I will try it.
Let me know if this particular device is accomplishing exactly what you had in mind.
I tried both, Note-Stand and Note-Latch. Both stop sending a gate signal on Sequencer-Stop. There is no continious Gate and Note-Signal.

But i found a workaround with CVPT and a CV signal generator which is connected to the INput of CVPT! I dont know if this is kind of bug or just luck, but it works!
Reason12, Win10

GRIFTY

19 Sep 2021

I've been wanting an advanced tuner in the rack for a long time. Something to help with tuning drums.

challism

19 Sep 2021

pongasoft wrote:
19 Sep 2021
challism wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Here are a few ideas:

Ok for the extensions on A/B 12 variations. I will keep that in mind.

For the note taking note player, I guess I am not sure what this is. Is there a note taking "other device" that you can point me to? By "note taking" are you saying entering text (or note as in "midi note")? What does the device do exactly?
I guess the word "note" can be take different ways on a music forum. I'm talking about a scratch pad for users to add text messages for themselves. Similar to Selig's ReMark or JP TMA1/4/9 Commentators, but this would be placed with player devices, instead of standard devices.
Loque wrote:
19 Sep 2021
pongasoft wrote:
19 Sep 2021

I tried both, Note-Stand and Note-Latch. Both stop sending a gate signal on Sequencer-Stop. There is no continious Gate and Note-Signal.

But i found a workaround with CVPT and a CV signal generator which is connected to the INput of CVPT! I dont know if this is kind of bug or just luck, but it works!
For God's sake, don't report that bug! ha ha
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

electrofux

19 Sep 2021

I would like to have a series of simple pads. Maybe one row of 8 and an 8x8 matrix. Maybe with customisable pads that are either toggle or onshot pads. Also the ability to trigger in a quantized manner. And also be able to set to a note.

Normal trigger pads are curently not implemented in CB2 so it would be nice to have them at hand when opening the Combi.
And all devices that have them are currently pretty huge.

selig
RE Developer

19 Sep 2021

Not sure if you're familiar with Reaktor, but any of the types of modules in Reaktor that are so helpful when building, such as the selector or panner, would be helpful here as well I would think. Both of those modules are expandable, so you'd have to decide on a fixed number of I/O. The key is they can be crossfaders OR switches, so you can have an 8 way crossfader, or a 3 way selector switch, or a dry/wet control or a bypass switch - it all depends on the crossfade curve and the CV input which controls the panning/selecting. Maybe you're already familiar with Reaktor (so I won't go on), but it's a good model for what's required when building basic to advanced devices.
Selig Audio, LLC

Bes
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
19 Sep 2021
some synths like The Legend require a signal connected to both gate and note inputs but you don't have to go through the CVPT to do this
- Certified Reason expert

moofi

22 Sep 2021

What I am really missing is a 128 step sequencer for possibly 10 channels.
Could be like four 32-step rows while you can switch between channels for individual channel editing. Plus pattern selector like on MPS (could be differently designed though, like a fifth row with 32 patterns to choose from). Guess 32 patterns is fair enough and there are workarounds if even more are needed anyway.

Like already mentioned in another thread 128 steps is the length for a pattern starting to not sound repetitive anymore.
I noticed this when working with the original Korg ESX having 128 steps integrated.

Edit: Don´t know wether it fits the idea to support a combinator, yet possibly fitting aswell.

• Information