Reason Studios shares their roadmap (September 7, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4027
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
16 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
15 Sep 2021
even when I don’t always agree with the choices being made, I appreciate the candor.
Great day for you, to be able to deploy a word like 'candor' in a sentence. :clap:
:lol: it’s one of the “core values” where I work, so the word is never far from reach for me. 😅
I write bad music for good people

latest release—The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

andyhsong
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 Jul 2015

Post 17 Sep 2021

I understand everyone's concern about the direction Reason is going, but especially after all of their recent blog posts and transparency about their future, I am confident they are eventually going to follow through.
I think Reason had to do what they did in order to survive, and set them up for success in the future. They definitely took their focus away from us hardcore longtime DAW users for a while in order to appeal to other DAW user's and casual music makers through a low barrier to entry rack plugin and monthly subscription service. But this gives them new revenue streams, and inevitably more market share and stronger brand awareness. This means they have a solid business model as a foundation for them to stray strong as they move forward, so they can eventually start to innovate instead of playing catch up.
Now that the bulk of the work seems to be done, I am confident they are soon going to start focusing on improving the DAW as a whole instead of focusing on the rack and rack related things. Also, we are making enough noise that they are making blog posts about it, so I'm sure they are listening and will respond as quick as they can.

I love Reason as it is, so anything new for me is honestly gravy. It's only going to get better and I'm confident they are going to start listening to all our gripes and cater to the DAW users very soon. I have actually never been more excited about Reason than I am now, as I think they have more potential than ever for the future with the moves they have been making and the business foundation they have been building.

DJMaytag
Posts: 398
Joined: 17 Jun 2015
Location: Madison, WI

Post 18 Sep 2021

andyhsong wrote:
17 Sep 2021
... in order to appeal to other DAW user's and casual music makers through a low barrier to entry rack plugin and monthly subscription service. But this gives them new revenue streams, and inevitably more market share and stronger brand awareness. This means they have a solid business model as a foundation for them to stray strong as they move forward, so they can eventually start to innovate instead of playing catch up.
The long timers like us can EASILY forget how ridiculous of a value a non-Reason user was getting to use RRP inside the DAW they were already comfortable with. Imagine suddenly being able to add everything that Reason has to offer as a VST, which NO OTHER VST CAN OFFER AS MUCH... how many synths do you get, how many beat making devices do you get, etc? Can any other plugin offer anything comparable? None that I can think of.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4027
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
18 Sep 2021
andyhsong wrote:
17 Sep 2021
... in order to appeal to other DAW user's and casual music makers through a low barrier to entry rack plugin and monthly subscription service. But this gives them new revenue streams, and inevitably more market share and stronger brand awareness. This means they have a solid business model as a foundation for them to stray strong as they move forward, so they can eventually start to innovate instead of playing catch up.
The long timers like us can EASILY forget how ridiculous of a value a non-Reason user was getting to use RRP inside the DAW they were already comfortable with. Imagine suddenly being able to add everything that Reason has to offer as a VST, which NO OTHER VST CAN OFFER AS MUCH... how many synths do you get, how many beat making devices do you get, etc? Can any other plugin offer anything comparable? None that I can think of.
Kontakt or whatever it is from Native Instruments. I guess Sampletank from IK too. there’s always another option.
I write bad music for good people

latest release—The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

User avatar
Oper-8
Posts: 63
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Location: France

Post 18 Sep 2021

Funny (not) how, following their brand new "transparency" (or lack thereof), they mysteriously forgot to announce the $199 upgrade when they published the roadmap. They could have had the decency to talk frankly and announce everything in the same post, but they preferred to tell their "We're listening to you now" tale, and then talk about how listening to us would cost us $70 more on each upgrade...
If we needed one more sign of how they don't care about their users...

Most users felt betrayed with this $129 improvements that can't be called a full upgrade. I really hope they're seriously going to stick to their roadmap. They'd better truly stick to it and hopefully they're planning to add way, way more features so that people can justify having spent their hard-earned money on this upgrade.
I hope they're not quietly waiting until October 1st before seriously getting to fix issues...
I even don't understand how there can be so many unacceptable issues when you see how many beta users they hired for free... Things are really beyond logic with this company. I don't know how many users are still trusting them anymore.
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury


User avatar
Oper-8
Posts: 63
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Location: France

Post 18 Sep 2021

I can't. They keep sending me invites for beta versions, but I can't access the beta section since version 11, and nobody in the company is able to reply to my questions.
If anyone from Reason Studios is reading this and wants to show some transparency...
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

DJMaytag
Posts: 398
Joined: 17 Jun 2015
Location: Madison, WI

Post 18 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
18 Sep 2021
If you are a beta tester, go check in. New things to test 🙂
That last item on the most recent fix list is nice, even if it’s only a partial fix.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9310
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I can't. They keep sending me invites for beta versions, but I can't access the beta section since version 11, and nobody in the company is able to reply to my questions.
If anyone from Reason Studios is reading this and wants to show some transparency...
I was just giving a heads up in general to anybody who is a beta tester.

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2865
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I can't. They keep sending me invites for beta versions, but I can't access the beta section since version 11, and nobody in the company is able to reply to my questions.
If anyone from Reason Studios is reading this and wants to show some transparency...
You should report this bug as well 😜
---

User avatar
Oper-8
Posts: 63
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Location: France

Post 18 Sep 2021

I did, 10 times (though it's not a bug, they hate me anyway). 10 times and they never even bothered replying.
Transparency, they say. "We're listening to you", they say.
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

User avatar
Oper-8
Posts: 63
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Location: France

Post 18 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I can't. They keep sending me invites for beta versions, but I can't access the beta section since version 11, and nobody in the company is able to reply to my questions.
If anyone from Reason Studios is reading this and wants to show some transparency...
I was just giving a heads up in general to anybody who is a beta tester.
I know, thanks. I was just replying for myself.
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7443
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 18 Sep 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
18 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
18 Sep 2021
If you are a beta tester, go check in. New things to test 🙂
That last item on the most recent fix list is nice, even if it’s only a partial fix.
It's definitely getting there! :clap: :thumbup:
Win 10 | Abelton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Sumsung 870 QVO 2 TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1706
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 18 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Here's a few things I think they need to investigate:

MPE Support
I'm hoping for MPE support at some point in the near future! I feel like some excuses are sometimes made for not going this way or that, but MPE support is about music making and using MPE is the most inspiring experience I have had when writing music on a computer. Even GarageBand has MPE support ;) Not having MPE support today is like using music software years ago that not having basic MIDI support when MIDI was available.

Video Support
I'd also argue that native video support is also about music making. Some people think of video support and their minds immediately go to big film projects. People are composing for all types of media. People are getting into music making now specifically to compose for media. If you think everybody who wants to write music just wants to compose an album, you're very wrong. Music isn't just about writing to a click track. So making the claim of having a focus on music making isn't an excuse for the lack video support. Reason is also a sound design playground, so focusing on music making and not sound design is a huge disservice to Reason and what it's capable of. The workaround solutions for video are clunky. VidPlayVST doesn't even scrub along the video as you move the playhead. And it's very buggy and not always in sync.

Version Saving
We absolutely need version saving! Reason projects should have the option to save in a folder with the audio separate and not self-contained with every separate project file. It is unnecessary and takes up a ridiculous amount of disk space. Logic (like other DAWs I would assume) gives you the option of how you would like to save your project (self-contained or in a folder).

Track folders
As I've seen mentioned here, track folders and being able to hide mixer groups are a must to help organize the sequencer and mixer. Having these features would be huge improvements for workflow.

Auto New Note Lane when recording on loop
Adding this option would be incredible for sketching ideas. I'm also tired of recording over myself when on loop.
If all of those were included in R12 or R13 I would actually upgrade even at 0.2k€.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 2052
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack-1

Post 18 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I can't. They keep sending me invites for beta versions, but I can't access the beta section since version 11, and nobody in the company is able to reply to my questions.
If anyone from Reason Studios is reading this and wants to show some transparency...
What's the problem you have maybe someone already knows how to fix it.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

User avatar
Oper-8
Posts: 63
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Location: France

Post 18 Sep 2021

I actually have a problem with the company itself. Their support hates me so much that nobody in that bloody company ever bothers replying to any of my messages. It's been the case since a bunch of years, and they started to do this simply because I kept asking the same question over and over again to the support.
As for beta versions, I was invited for V11, couldn't access the beta section of their damn website. Reported the bug via email and on Twitter DM. Kept asking why it didn't work (their beta link would always take me to the home page) - no reply.
I received a beta for V12 - same story.
These Props became so weird over the years, and now they're all sugar talking about transparency... It only took them 10 years to notice we were there, suddenly they realized we were asking for things, and now they tell us "we're listening to you now". Talk about commitment and how dedicated or respectful they are to their users... Yeah, sure.
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 459
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I did, 10 times (though it's not a bug, they hate me anyway). 10 times and they never even bothered replying.
Transparency, they say. "We're listening to you", they say.
With all this betrayal, lost trust and failed communication, it sounds like a pretty toxic relationship. What keeps you coming back?
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4027
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
they started to do this simply because I kept asking the same question over and over again to the support.
why would you expect them to continue responding if you keep asking the same question? can’t say I’d blame them.
I write bad music for good people

latest release—The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

User avatar
Oper-8
Posts: 63
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Location: France

Post 18 Sep 2021

Maybe because it's a customer support, therefore I think their job is to reply to users...
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

User avatar
craven
Posts: 656
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Maybe because it's a customer support, therefore I think their job is to reply to users...
so what is your question? :)
:ugeek:

Pako21
Posts: 1
Joined: 18 Sep 2021

Post 18 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:Auto New Note Lane when recording on loop
Adding this option would be incredible for sketching ideas. I'm also tired of recording over myself when on loop.
Hi!
Isn’t it the exact purpose of the "Dub/Alt" functions? or am I misunderstanding your wish…

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 2052
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack-1

Post 18 Sep 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I actually have a problem with the company itself. Their support hates me so much that nobody in that bloody company ever bothers replying to any of my messages. It's been the case since a bunch of years, and they started to do this simply because I kept asking the same question over and over again to the support.
As for beta versions, I was invited for V11, couldn't access the beta section of their damn website. Reported the bug via email and on Twitter DM. Kept asking why it didn't work (their beta link would always take me to the home page) - no reply.
I received a beta for V12 - same story.
These Props became so weird over the years, and now they're all sugar talking about transparency... It only took them 10 years to notice we were there, suddenly they realized we were asking for things, and now they tell us "we're listening to you now". Talk about commitment and how dedicated or respectful they are to their users... Yeah, sure.
They usually don't reply to mine either, I assume they don't have the time or are dealing with other bugs with more priority, its a process you have to be patient with. Beta is a completely different section of the website, My Tickets on the website are general inquiries you've made, there is no access links on the website to beta, which is kind of silly. You should be able to access open beta.
Oper-8 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Maybe because it's a customer support, therefore I think their job is to reply to users...
Maybe the issue is thinking you think its their job to respond, they're not servants. Constantly bombarding someone with questions in any support is the equivalent of whistling at the barman or clicking your fingers to get someone's attention.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9310
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 19 Sep 2021

Pako21 wrote:
18 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:Auto New Note Lane when recording on loop
Adding this option would be incredible for sketching ideas. I'm also tired of recording over myself when on loop.
Hi!
Isn’t it the exact purpose of the "Dub/Alt" functions? or am I misunderstanding your wish…
Alt/dub as they are now are only manual functions.

If you record now with loop on, it will continue to record to the same note lane, recording over itself.

You can of course use shortcuts or click alt/dub each time it loops around.

But this feature would create a new lane automatically, so you can focus fully on what you are recording. You could choose whether it would auto create an alt or dub lane when on loop.

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 1022
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 19 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Pako21 wrote:
18 Sep 2021


Hi!
Isn’t it the exact purpose of the "Dub/Alt" functions? or am I misunderstanding your wish…
Alt/dub as they are now are only manual functions.

If you record now with loop on, it will continue to record to the same note lane, recording over itself.

You can of course use shortcuts or click alt/dub each time it loops around.

But this feature would create a new lane automatically, so you can focus fully on what you are recording. You could choose whether it would auto create an alt or dub lane when on loop.
I’ve had a couple of very happy accidents with mono synths recording over themselves on a loop! But I would really appreciate an auto new note lane feature all the same.

User avatar
SuryaDnB
Posts: 12
Joined: 27 Jan 2021

Post 19 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
11 Sep 2021
There are a lot of effects missing as stock in Reason:- Exciter, Waveshaper, Transient Shaper (yes I know there's one in Kong but not standalone), De-Esser (not interested in Combinators), Metering Tool, Clip Distortion, Multiband Compressor, Saturator, Test Oscillator and Vectorscope / Goniometer. As for Saturation and Clip Distortion though, they could just update Scream and put those 2 into there along with other things.
+1 for most of these, though the Softube Saturation Knob is pretty darn good, and free as RE or VST
Currently on Reason 12. Very disappointed with the updates in the last two versions.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: crimsonwarlock, Popey and 2 guests