Reason 12 Graphic's Issues.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
06 Sep 2021
In the end, all we can do is report what we see on our screens using the exact same settings for application zoom. I never meant to imply anything with my post, just reporting!
Oh no, I wasn't suggesting you were implying anything or trying to disprove you or challenge you or anything like that.

Nor was I not trying to argue or "win" or anything like that either.

I was just providing clarity as to why 100% application zoom on your machine has a 60-70% higher pixel density than what JP sees.

I'm not suggesting you didn't have Reason at 100% zoom. Just explaining why there are differences (it's either the default resolution scaling on the built-in Retina Display or if an external display, resolution scaling using a resolution lower than the screen's full resolution).

Italophile

08 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
06 Sep 2021

Is this on a Mac laptop?

That definitely has a much higher pixel density than Windows at 100%
Pixel density has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether you are running Windows or macOS. It is entirely dependent on the resolution of your monitor & graphics card.

stillifegaijin

13 Sep 2021

Is anyone else getting this graphics issue? On the preference window, export windows, and tool window, when I initially open the window/dialog most all the text is blurry. If I click on a setting, turn something on and off, make a selection from a dropdown, etc, the text comes perfectly into focus, but only after I interact with the individual selections within the window. Here are a selection of examples - images labelled "Blurry" are how the window appears when initially opened, the "Focused" images are after I have interacted and made selections that cause the text to focus.

Tools Window.jpg
Tools Window.jpg (261.29 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
Preferences Window.jpg
Preferences Window.jpg (382.77 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
Export Window.jpg
Export Window.jpg (113.41 KiB) Viewed 2962 times

I'm on a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) running Mojave.
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Radeon RX 580 8 GB

stillifegaijin

13 Sep 2021

PS - I just checked on my laptop and the graphics issue above is not happening there. Laptop is MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) running Big Sur. Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. So maybe it's Mojave? Or just my old MacPro? Or my graphics card? Anyone else seeing the same issue anywhere? Thanks...

rootwheel

13 Sep 2021

Italophile wrote:
08 Sep 2021
avasopht wrote:
06 Sep 2021

Is this on a Mac laptop?

That definitely has a much higher pixel density than Windows at 100%
Pixel density has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether you are running Windows or macOS. It is entirely dependent on the resolution of your monitor & graphics card.
You're both sort of correct. The problem is that, counter-intuitively, 100% actually means different things on macOS and Windows. It also isn't quite clear what 100% means at all times within Reason 12 either.

Technically when using a HiDPI display with Reason 12, the 100% zoom setting is a misnomer as we aren't actually getting a dot-for-dot display of the same assets that 100% showed on a standard definition monitor. As far as I can tell, 100% application zoom on a HiDPI display is actually getting the @2x assets so the rack device appear to take up the same amount of space on the screen as the 100% zoom setting does on a standard definition monitor.

The way Windows and macOS define their scaling also differs.

macOS has moved into HiDPI with more sensible language, on HiDPI native laptop displays, the option 'Default for display' will automatically ensure everything is the correct size to appear at '100% size' in high definition (although there are actually twice as many pixels drawing the assets within the display, to give the sharpness). Outside of the default, within the scaling options, the user can choose to have 'More space' or 'Larger text' which essentially scales all assets up or down. Given the large resolution of the Apple retina screens and app assets, no definition is ever lost through doing this scaling - things just either get smaller or larger.

However, on the Windows side - using a HiDPI display with the 100% scale setting will result in tiny text and icons. Windows 10 usually has to be run in 150% scaling or higher to actually be a sensible size to interact with on a HiDPI display.

Therefore a like-for-like comparison of Windows and Mac screenshots on HiDPI devices apparently isn't immediately trivial, as a Windows setup on HiDPI will already likely have an element of scaling taking place beforehand; altering the final output.
Last edited by rootwheel on 13 Sep 2021, edited 3 times in total.

rootwheel

13 Sep 2021

stillifegaijin wrote:
13 Sep 2021
PS - I just checked on my laptop and the graphics issue above is not happening there. Laptop is MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) running Big Sur. Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. So maybe it's Mojave? Or just my old MacPro? Or my graphics card? Anyone else seeing the same issue anywhere? Thanks...
Do you know what the maximum supported resolution is of the monitor you're using with your MacPro - and also what resolution are you using within macOS - are you using 'Default for display' or one of the 'scaled' options?

selig
RE Developer

13 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
06 Sep 2021
selig wrote:
06 Sep 2021
In the end, all we can do is report what we see on our screens using the exact same settings for application zoom. I never meant to imply anything with my post, just reporting!
Oh no, I wasn't suggesting you were implying anything or trying to disprove you or challenge you or anything like that.

Nor was I not trying to argue or "win" or anything like that either.

I was just providing clarity as to why 100% application zoom on your machine has a 60-70% higher pixel density than what JP sees.

I'm not suggesting you didn't have Reason at 100% zoom. Just explaining why there are differences (it's either the default resolution scaling on the built-in Retina Display or if an external display, resolution scaling using a resolution lower than the screen's full resolution).
No worries, it wasn't you that was suggesting I didn't have Reason set at 100% zoom.
Great comments from you, I just wanted to be clear I had no agenda with MY post either !
Nothing to see here, move alone!
Selig Audio, LLC

stillifegaijin

13 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
13 Sep 2021
stillifegaijin wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Do you know what the maximum supported resolution is of the monitor you're using with your MacPro - and also what resolution are you using within macOS - are you using 'Default for display' or one of the 'scaled' options?
I work in photoshop/photo retouching in addition to music production/mixing so I have 3 monitors, which happens to be very nice for Reason. I have two 27 inch NEC displays 3840 x 2160, and a Cintiq Pro 24 23.5 inch also 3840 x 2160. The resolution for all is currently set to "default for display". The graphic glitch happens no matter which of the three monitors the windows pop up on.

rootwheel

13 Sep 2021

stillifegaijin wrote:
13 Sep 2021
rootwheel wrote:
13 Sep 2021

I work in photoshop/photo retouching in addition to music production/mixing so I have 3 monitors, which happens to be very nice for Reason. I have two 27 inch NEC displays 3840 x 2160, and a Cintiq Pro 24 23.5 inch also 3840 x 2160. The resolution for all is currently set to "default for display". The graphic glitch happens no matter which of the three monitors the windows pop up on.
If none of your other macOS apps do this then it seems like it may be some sort of Reason 12 incompatibility with the Radeon RX 580 8 GB. Having said that, you may be able to fix it without needing Reason Studios to issue a bug fix. It looks like the issue is only affecting the typography and not any of the interface graphics.

Give these two commands a try one after the other in your terminal:

Code: Select all

defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO
defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 2
That will revert the font smoothing in Mojave back to the method that High Sierra used and which may not cause the blurriness issue. You'll need to log out and then log back in again once you've done the commands for them to take effect.

If the above two commands don't work or make things worse font-wise, you can easily revert the values back to their defaults with these two commands:

Code: Select all

defaults -currentHost delete -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled
defaults -currentHost delete -g AppleFontSmoothing
Hope that helps and it fixes it for you! Let us know how you get on :)

stillifegaijin

15 Sep 2021

Nope. None of the terminal code suggestions helped but thank you for trying! I did discover something new. If I have any of the blurry text windows open and simply click on any window outside Reason, even the desktop, the blurry window comes entirely into focus. Of course if I close it and reopen it's blurry again. Fun stuff.

I also noticed a few other graphics glitches today while working but I didn't take the time to screen shot them. Weird waveform glitches in the edit window and something in the comp edit window where there were long black triangles over waveforms.

Hopefully there's an update soon...Or a new computer I want to buy comes onto the scene.

Jackjackdaw

18 Sep 2021

Issues I have noticed so far: Drum sequencer, the orange lines between Lane titles glitch out when scrolling and don’t display correctly when still.

Complex 1 in the hide cables (useless) mode the text in the little boxes is chunky and pixelated.

I’m running on Windows 10 Ryzen intergrated graphics

OverneathTheSkyBridg

22 Sep 2021

Hey, does the graphics rendering get any better? Every time I grab a new device the whole system hangs for a few seconds. Flip the rack, and it hangs even longer. Does it store the renders or does it have to do it from scratch every time? Gotta say this performance is a real turn off.

Proboscis

23 Sep 2021

This was my R12 experience yesterday. The icon for the STOP button on the transport ceased to exist.

@100% zoom

no stop.JPG
no stop.JPG (12.79 KiB) Viewed 2597 times

gullum

23 Sep 2021

not constant light setting in the rack
Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 7.11.32 AM copy.png
Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 7.11.32 AM copy.png (661.54 KiB) Viewed 2569 times

Steedus
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
23 Sep 2021
This was my R12 experience yesterday. The icon for the STOP button on the transport ceased to exist.

@100% zoom

no stop.JPG
^ that's nothing. how about replacing buttons/icons with images of your VSTs? :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/WkCML1N.jpeg

Jackjackdaw

02 Oct 2021

If I try to drag a device from the insert slot to just below it on top of the instrument ,the graphics glitch out uncontrollably. Also on the back of the rack I managed to get wires leading into nowhere somehow.

Hamudi77

13 Oct 2021

I have no text fonts in the whole Reason app

Screenshot:
Attachments
2021-10-14.png
2021-10-14.png (703.07 KiB) Viewed 2343 times

Benedict
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2021

This shows the overall glitchiness of the Sequencer using Audio (which is not recorded as it is client work). Sometimes the Jaggies completely overtake the screen for a second, or until something is moved/changed.

I also commonly have screen components disappear entirely. That can be Play and EQ buttons in the F2 Spectrum window, Envelopes in Automation clips, Filter choices in Mimic... It all seems to depend on astrological convergence.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

wendylou

20 Oct 2021

Anyone else have this issue with DSP/In/Out and Demo Mode/Overload/Automation Override displays remaining white in either dark or blue color modes? Very hard to read, and the word "Calc" is over both white and dark zones. I'm using 12.2.1d50 (build 13,233) (Stable channel) on a 2020 iMac, Intel, with macOS Big Sur, and Retina 5K 27-inch display.

transport-r12.jpg
transport-r12.jpg (68.43 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

Steedus
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2021

^ yep it's a known issue, last minute bug that was too late to fix last update but will be fixed on an upcoming patch. (pretty sure it only shows up in dark and blue styles)

Pepin

20 Oct 2021

Another graphical issue I found today:
Every blue knob on Malstrom has a line appear below it when turned all the way to the right. Happens on every zoom level.
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 12.40.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 12.40.17 AM.png (559.6 KiB) Viewed 2214 times

Ottostrom

20 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
16 Oct 2021
This shows the overall glitchiness of the Sequencer using Audio (which is not recorded as it is client work). Sometimes the Jaggies completely overtake the screen for a second, or until something is moved/changed.

I also commonly have screen components disappear entirely. That can be Play and EQ buttons in the F2 Spectrum window, Envelopes in Automation clips, Filter choices in Mimic... It all seems to depend on astrological convergence.

What zoom setting are you on? I'm working at 110% and I also get a bunch of glitchy weirdness with audio clips

plaamook

20 Oct 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
20 Oct 2021
Benedict wrote:
16 Oct 2021

What zoom setting are you on? I'm working at 110% and I also get a bunch of glitchy weirdness with audio clips
I think it’s everywhere. I’ve got em at 80%.
Man everything glitches.
As I said elsewhere I’m amazed it’s relatively stable considering how twitchy it looks.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Steedus
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2021

Pepin wrote:
20 Oct 2021
Another graphical issue I found today:
Every blue knob on Malstrom has a line appear below it when turned all the way to the right. Happens on every zoom level.
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 12.40.17 AM.png
I have mixed results with this. Sometimes at some zoom level same are fine, but definitely there are always some which are displaying this issue..

Btw, flip the rack around on Malstrom (and Layers) ... what's missing? ;)

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2021

I am on 110% but as noted above by Mr Mook, sizing doesn't seem to be an issue.

Sometimes I get really bad things like sections of the screen flickering no matter what. I find that a restart of Windows sorts and everything is (relatively) perfect - until it happens again. This makes me think it is that something/somehow upsets the GPU and stays that way until reset.

Yes, thankfully the core program works.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information