Which DAW should I get to replace Reason? (Windows only)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?

Which DAW will be the best/easiest to transition to from Reason?

Ableton Live
24
22%
Bitwig
30
28%
Cakewalk
5
5%
Cubase
10
9%
Fruity Loops
3
3%
Pro Tools
2
2%
Reaper
11
10%
Studio One
11
10%
Other
11
10%
 
Total votes: 107
User avatar
Arrant
Posts: 442
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

R12 has come along and it has some decent features but if the browser is not fixed I am forced to move to another DAW or keep using R11 forever.
For those of you who have already moved or are investigating the options, which competing DAW did you move to or recommend?
Look at it from a perspective of having a long history of Reason projects that you want to move over and keep working on, probably using the Reason Rack Plugin (R11).
Logic is not an option here since it's Mac only (Yes, I still carry a grudge against Apple for this).

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 1159
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 18 Sep 2021

If your not willing to move to mac then why even move :D

But seriously why do you say you need to stay on R11 forever... R12 is not the last upgrade. If R11 is fine for you now then why can't you use it next year? you know Windows has not gone M1 so R11 should work fine on Windows 11

I voted other as stay with Reason

User avatar
Arrant
Posts: 442
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
18 Sep 2021
If your not willing to move to mac then why even move :D

But seriously why do you say you need to stay on R11 forever... R12 is not the last upgrade. If R11 is fine for you now then why can't you use it next year? you know Windows has not gone M1 so R11 should work fine on Windows 11
Heh, you funny 😊
People’s reasons may vary but for me like I said «if the browser is not fixed», which may never happen since RS doesn’t seem to acknowledge the problem.
It will not be viable in the future to stay on R11 forever, there’s a reason why we needed HD graphics for example. Tech evolves. VST3 is another example.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4033
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

I went with Live because it's got the closest feel to Reason in the sense that it's easy to pick up and the stuff you don't use often mostly stays out of your way, but can be easily accessed when you do need it. couldn't be happier at the switch, with one exception--it doesn't have native pitch editing. otherwise, fantastic.
I write bad music for good people

latest release—The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 7253
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 18 Sep 2021

Reason is the only family I know.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 224
Joined: 21 May 2015
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post 18 Sep 2021

Probably Cubase. ..that said, misery loves company so I'm staying RS :twisted: ;) :-) lol.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2866
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
18 Sep 2021
gullum wrote:
18 Sep 2021
If your not willing to move to mac then why even move :D

But seriously why do you say you need to stay on R11 forever... R12 is not the last upgrade. If R11 is fine for you now then why can't you use it next year? you know Windows has not gone M1 so R11 should work fine on Windows 11
Heh, you funny 😊
People’s reasons may vary but for me like I said «if the browser is not fixed», which may never happen since RS doesn’t seem to acknowledge the problem.
It will not be viable in the future to stay on R11 forever, there’s a reason why we needed HD graphics for example. Tech evolves. VST3 is another example.
They have acknowledged it. It's mentioned in the forum's and maybe also the timeline thread/blog post
---

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2866
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Logic is not an option here since it's Mac only (Yes, I still carry a grudge against Apple for this).
Is it ever wise to cut off your nose to spite your face?
---

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 1022
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 18 Sep 2021

I bought Cubase as my ‘real’ DAW companion to Reason . It is fantastic and has a ton of depth. The learning curve is fairly steep though so I wouldn’t recommend it for an easy transition. Depends what your needs are really. I use a DAW mostly like a keyboard workstation/modular synth rather than big project mixer. if I was to directly replace Reason I would buy Ableton Live suite.

That said, I have no intention of ditching Reason I bloody love it!

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1744
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

Not really going to replace Reason by anything else, but voted for Cakewalk just to indicate my preference among other DAWs.

And btw, this topic belongs to Hardware and Other Software.

User avatar
Arrant
Posts: 442
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
18 Sep 2021
They have acknowledged it. It's mentioned in the forum's and maybe also the timeline thread/blog post
Not true though.
Mattias chimed in to explain a few thingsabout how it works but he didn't acknowledge any bugs.
It's talked about in the beta forum, no response.
Support request filed, nothing.

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 3085
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: marsoo

Post 18 Sep 2021

My vote is for bitwig. Runs on linux too.

Onkel Paul
Posts: 18
Joined: 24 Feb 2021

Post 18 Sep 2021

There is no one right answer to this. It depends on what you need and miss in Reason. Different Tools for different tasks.
In my case the DAW is Studio One. I need all the features they provide for producing songs for singers, and I do need VSTs with realistic instrument samples like country guitar, B3 organs, 60s Drummers and alike. And integrated Notation.
I do not need Synths and sound design tools often, but RRP sits next to Kontakt inside Studio One. The Rack is still fine. The DAW part (sequencer and VSTsupport) is far too way behind for music production as I do. By the way, there is a comparison of RRP and Kontakt on you tube. It shows where Reason Rack shines. Watch it here:

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9314
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

Should add Logic to the list or remove Cakewalk under your same reasoning—it is windows only.

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2866
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
18 Sep 2021

Not true though.
Mattias chimed in to explain a few thingsabout how it works but he didn't acknowledge any bugs.
It's talked about in the beta forum, no response.
Support request filed, nothing.
He's specifically said the browser is not complete and addressed bugs somewhere in this forum (can't remember the thread).

It's also in the timeline, ergo it's not complete.

He's specifically said the product was not complete and was released early.
---

User avatar
Quarmat
Posts: 119
Joined: 11 Feb 2021
Location: Europe

Post 18 Sep 2021

I ditched FruityLoops in 2002 for Reason and never needed to make use of other DAWs in the last 19 yrs, even though I tried most of them. I am staying with Reason. It has a feel of material concreteness and logical consequentiality I really like and I could never find anywhere else. But if I have to pick one I'll say Bitwig: I understand the approach, appreciate the workflow, (for the moment) I like the company policy, as Aeox said runs even on Linux and its modularity seems a promising architecture for future development.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4486
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 18 Sep 2021

People still call it Fruity Loops? it's been called FL Studio for 18 years. 🤣
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.42 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

thedude
Posts: 29
Joined: 08 May 2021

Post 18 Sep 2021

The dream never dies, my man.

dasmode
Posts: 31
Joined: 09 Dec 2020

Post 18 Sep 2021

FL Studio - no paid upgrades, but has everything to create music without buying additional plug-ins.

User avatar
Arrant
Posts: 442
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
18 Sep 2021
People still call it Fruity Loops? it's been called FL Studio for 18 years. 🤣
Guess I kinda revealed my advancing age on that one :-)

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4486
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 18 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
18 Sep 2021
People still call it Fruity Loops? it's been called FL Studio for 18 years. 🤣
Guess I kinda revealed my advancing age on that one :-)
Can't believe Kelloggs tried to sue'em. They're called Fruit Loops so technically not the same name.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.42 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Chi-Individual
Posts: 120
Joined: 09 Apr 2020

Post 19 Sep 2021

On a recommendation I got Studio One but never really got into it. Last year I got an Atom SQ controller and then delved a little deeper into S1. I can say functionality-wise it's almost as easy to navigate as Reason but with $#!+ ton more features to learn and remember(sub-menus and all the stuff Reason don't have much of). But the integration with the controller is almost flawless, just have to learn a workflow to maximize the controller. Today I tried the S1 Remote app for iPad. I'm impressed. There's a little lag of course but it's launch screen is fully customizable, which is a little overwhelming tbh, but it just works. With the right workflow, because you can customize the Atom to parameters of a vst(except for Reason), and memorizing or customizing the key commands, touching the mouse could become a rare thing. So I'm going to give S1 a full try.

But just being honest, I HATE change so I most likely will not be doing this cheerfully :lol:

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2668
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 19 Sep 2021

Nothing can replace Reason, Combinator 2.0 is fire, but RS is focusing on becoming a great VST, so...

Any DAW without the need of a 24/7 internet verification + can run on any platform. Reaper can even run on a Raspberry Pi. Cakewalk looks great, almost got it way back when it was Sonar, but kept using Cubase before Reason. The same way I don't believe in free energy or perpetual motion machines, I don't believe in "free DAW".

By the time I'll purchase R13 I should be very familiar with Reaper.
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

EdGrip
Posts: 2223
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 20 Sep 2021

Depends what kind of thing you do most of! Ableton and Bitwig are so close you should definitely try both - they are nonlinear playgrounds, each with powerful sound design architectures (if you get m4l). I really like Live.

The others are all variations on linear recording and sequencing software, which is not my scene. (FLStudio is its own thing). Reason occupies a position somewhere between the two paradigms, so you must pick a direction!

bangaio
Posts: 87
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 04 Oct 2021

I used live since v1.5 but after trying bitwig I jumped ship. Live as a playground in session view is unrivalled. As a prediction tool I never got on with it and bitwig has a much much nicer sequencer. And browser. And the grid. It fees more mature despite being a newer program. Just my 2c.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest