VK2 Filter (Update)

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
Loque

13 Sep 2021

I like this filter pretty much and was looking for some nice Filter-Only and here it is.

Just a few drawbacks, which are a result from VK2 designs:
The filter model, filter drive, filter resonance compensation and amp saturation type only be changed on the back, so it cannot be mapped

Maybe i polish the scales a bit more if i have some time, but its quit hard to match them. It would be much easier, if i can drop the design from Reason into a bitmap and use this as template. Well, maybe they add something like this in future ;-)
VK2.zip
(570.96 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
vk2filter.jpg
vk2filter.jpg (124.25 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Reason12, Win10

raymondh

13 Sep 2021

VK2 filter really is something special! Nice job with the combinator! I am not on R12 yet so can't try it out, but things like this encourage me!

dusan.cani

14 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
13 Sep 2021
The filter needs a Note signal, so add a note lane to trigger filter and/or the envelope
This is because the combis could not be nested, right ? I mean scenario where you want to use gate triggered modulation on effect device while triggering notes on intrument device. For example ADSR or key synced LFO on the effect device. The only way how to achieve this is by using effect device in the combi and check the "receive notes" option. But since the effect could be a combi device itself and combis cannot be nested, this is not possible. A very easy solution would be a "MIDI LINK" option for tracks. You would just select multiple tracks and tick LINK MIDI receive option. Then any of those selected tracks would trigger MIDI NOTE & GATE for all of them. Even more elegant solution would be "auto MIDI NOTE & GATE receive" option for effect device based on audio routing path. So the instrument device involved in the chain would trigger MIDI NOTE & GATE for effect devices which have this option selected. This would be VERY USEFUL, practical and inspiring feature when using effect devices. I don't understand why Reason Studios omit such a basic, useful and expected feature. Especially when new Combi is introduced and it could be used as custom UI effect now.

Loque

14 Sep 2021

dusan.cani wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
13 Sep 2021
The filter needs a Note signal, so add a note lane to trigger filter and/or the envelope
This is because the combis could not be nested, right ? I mean scenario where you want to use gate triggered modulation on effect device while triggering notes on intrument device. For example ADSR or key synced LFO on the effect device. The only way how to achieve this is by using effect device in the combi and check the "receive notes" option. But since the effect could be a combi device itself and combis cannot be nested, this is not possible. A very easy solution would be a "MIDI LINK" option for tracks. You would just select multiple tracks and tick LINK MIDI receive option. Then any of those selected tracks would trigger MIDI NOTE & GATE for all of them. Even more elegant solution would be "auto MIDI NOTE & GATE receive" option for effect device based on audio routing path. So the instrument device involved in the chain would trigger MIDI NOTE & GATE for effect devices which have this option selected. This would be VERY USEFUL, practical and inspiring feature when using effect devices. I don't understand why Reason Studios omit such a basic, useful and expected feature. Especially when new Combi is introduced and it could be used as custom UI effect now.
I can send a signal to the Note and Gate CV, thats no problem. But its always how the synth interprets this and if the gate needs to be retriggered.

And the other problem is, if i send a signal to the inputs, you cannot create a MIDI for it. Btw, i probably have forgotten to add Key-Input for VK2 in the Combi :?

It would be better, if the synth itself would have an option to "Enable" the filter always and provide automation for the other backside switches. And it must have some audio-auto-deteckt, to prevent constant processing of the filter even if there is no audio which needs to be processed.

Maybe eXode himself chimes in and can say something here...But since VK2 didnt had any changes in the last year, i wouldnt expect much improvement for such specific scenarios like you have with Combi2.
Reason12, Win10

Sterioevo

14 Sep 2021

What about a button on Thor? Used it plenty of times for this purpose

Loque

14 Sep 2021

Sterioevo wrote:
14 Sep 2021
I think i left Thor inside the Combinator, but removed the connection 😂 well, it was late
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

14 Sep 2021

Sterioevo wrote:
14 Sep 2021
These solutions don’t always work, like when you press stop on the transport all controls/notes are turned off, and you have to hit the button again to hear anything IIRC…
Selig Audio, LLC

Sterioevo

14 Sep 2021

Matrix then.. quantisation becomes the issue...
Last edited by Sterioevo on 14 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

14 Sep 2021

Sterioevo wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Matrix then..
Same problem when stopping, but (like Thor’s sequencer) at least it will start again when you hit play. May be disruptive if used on anything with long decay or if you try to play a sound manually while the transport is stopped (why this solution didn’t work for for the B3 instrument, but maybe not as much a problem here).
…bottom line, difficult to create a 100% reliable “always on” condition in Reason…
Selig Audio, LLC

Sterioevo

14 Sep 2021

In the matrix you can use a button to select 2 different patterns - on/off. but quantisation becomes a factor. Agree overall, however there may be a better way. I haven't delved into this space in some time..

Sterioevo

14 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Sterioevo wrote:
14 Sep 2021
These solutions don’t always work, like when you press stop on the transport all controls/notes are turned off, and you have to hit the button again to hear anything IIRC…
Actually, it works in this case if I am not missing something. The function here is to turn the filter on, not as an envelope. So the sequencer does not affect the button. Edit: apologies, I stand corrected.

Sterioevo

14 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Sterioevo wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Matrix then..
Same problem when stopping, but (like Thor’s sequencer) at least it will start again when you hit play. May be disruptive if used on anything with long decay or if you try to play a sound manually while the transport is stopped (why this solution didn’t work for for the B3 instrument, but maybe not as much a problem here).
…bottom line, difficult to create a 100% reliable “always on” condition in Reason…
That is relatively easy then I think. You can use a high rate lfo and control the level for on/off. I just tried it with pulsar and works as expected, apart from a little tail delay on the off press.

Edit: A lfo is a logical inclusion/extension in the way it can interact with the filter envelope. i.e. it doesn't have to be high rate

eXode

14 Sep 2021

You don't need note on if you set it up properly (VK2 IS modular after all)

Switch voice mode to "modular" and in the AMP section unroute the prerouted EG to AMP (also set amount to zero). This will leave the AMP open.

Not in front of the computer atm but if you still can't get it to work I can have a look later tonight.

Regarding making the filter tweaks automatable - good suggestions, but low probability that VK2 will be updated

artotaku

14 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
13 Sep 2021
* The filter needs a Note signal, so add a note lane to trigger filter and/or the envelope
When you add the stock Sweeper Mod FX device before the VK you could use it´s built in envelope that can be triggered by the incoming audio and connect the envelope output to VK gate in. Haven´t tested this yet but it might work...

*EDIT* Nevermind, seems it is possible with VK itself.

Loque

14 Sep 2021

eXode wrote:
14 Sep 2021
You don't need note on if you set it up properly (VK2 IS modular after all)

Switch voice mode to "modular" and in the AMP section unroute the prerouted EG to AMP (also set amount to zero). This will leave the AMP open.

Not in front of the computer atm but if you still can't get it to work I can have a look later tonight.

Regarding making the filter tweaks automatable - good suggestions, but low probability that VK2 will be updated
Thanks. Excellent. I will do this on the weekend.
Reason12, Win10

Loque

16 Sep 2021

I updated the patch, so now the filter is full modular and always working. Thanks eXode!
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

16 Sep 2021

Sterioevo wrote:
14 Sep 2021
selig wrote:
14 Sep 2021

That is relatively easy then I think. You can use a high rate lfo and control the level for on/off. I just tried it with pulsar and works as expected, apart from a little tail delay on the off press.

Edit: A lfo is a logical inclusion/extension in the way it can interact with the filter envelope. i.e. it doesn't have to be high rate
LFO (specifically LFO 2 in Thor, triggering itself via CV cable) is how Ed and I solved the issue for the Selig B3/Leslie. Seems to be the best solution overall - and we looked into EVERYTHING back in the day…
Selig Audio, LLC

arnigretar

16 Sep 2021

Just got me VK-2 so I can now try this combi patch out!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Sterioevo

16 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
16 Sep 2021
Sterioevo wrote:
14 Sep 2021

LFO (specifically LFO 2 in Thor, triggering itself via CV cable) is how Ed and I solved the issue for the Selig B3/Leslie. Seems to be the best solution overall - and we looked into EVERYTHING back in the day…
Yeah makes sense. Pulsar with it’s LFO capabilities and envelope opens up some interesting possibilities to apply to the filter envelope. I’m keen to spend a bit of time and have a look at exodes solution as well.

challism

18 Oct 2021

Loving this patch, Loque. I added a little auto movement to this. LFO1's S&H CV is routed to the filter cuttoff (with on/off, sync, and rate controls added to Combi face) and LFO2's triangle wave CV routed to the filter spacing modifier (on/off button added to Combi face).

VK2 FILTER MOVEMENT.zip
(572.4 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
VK2.JPG
VK2.JPG (106.13 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

kbard

18 Oct 2021

dusan.cani wrote:
14 Sep 2021

This is because the combis could not be nested, right ?
Sorry for offtopic but can you clear this out for me. What do you mean combis can not be nested? I remember when -I was trialing R12 - I could load combinators just fine and nest them one below another just as in earlier Reason 11.

In fact is my memory playing tricks (or subconscious wishes), I was able to load several old combinators inside one new Combinator in R12?

Another thing from my memory which could be wrong - in Reason 11 I can load up a Combinator patch with several FX inside.

Then if later in the process I wanted to load another Combinator inside the first combinator I was able to do that by dragging combinator Below the first one and it was/is automatically prepatched. Obviously I couldn't load combinator inside combinator but if I wanted to keep thing clean in R11 I can select second combinator and drag it into first one and then Reason 11 would automatically export all devices from tht second Combinator into the first Combinator which was very very nice thing if you ask me. Can this still be done in R12?

I am aware adding the second combinator into the first one is essentially making me lose all controls associated within the second combinator but sometimes I don't use combinator and it's 4 macro controls I just use it to save and process chain of effects.

On topic now: Viking 2 IMO is the most analogue virtual instrument in my arsenal and yes I have Diva and Repro. Filter and Drive effects are something special. I am going to check this combination once I upgrade to R12.

challism

18 Oct 2021

kbard wrote:
18 Oct 2021
dusan.cani wrote:
14 Sep 2021

This is because the combis could not be nested, right ?
Sorry for offtopic but can you clear this out for me. What do you mean combis can not be nested? I remember when -I was trialing R12 - I could load combinators just fine and nest them one below another just as in earlier Reason 11.

In fact is my memory playing tricks (or subconscious wishes), I was able to load several old combinators inside one new Combinator in R12?

Another thing from my memory which could be wrong - in Reason 11 I can load up a Combinator patch with several FX inside.

Then if later in the process I wanted to load another Combinator inside the first combinator I was able to do that by dragging combinator Below the first one and it was/is automatically prepatched. Obviously I couldn't load combinator inside combinator but if I wanted to keep thing clean in R11 I can select second combinator and drag it into first one and then Reason 11 would automatically export all devices from tht second Combinator into the first Combinator which was very very nice thing if you ask me. Can this still be done in R12?

I am aware adding the second combinator into the first one is essentially making me lose all controls associated within the second combinator but sometimes I don't use combinator and it's 4 macro controls I just use it to save and process chain of effects.

On topic now: Viking 2 IMO is the most analogue virtual instrument in my arsenal and yes I have Diva and Repro. Filter and Drive effects are something special. I am going to check this combination once I upgrade to R12.
I would guess they mean Combis cannot be placed inside each other.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information