TritoneAddiction / GodOfRainbows - (Collab)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Aug 2021

So about 6 weeks ago GodofRainbows and I started talking about trying out a collab.
The idea was to send each other ideas/sparks/bits, something to work with that we both could work on as song starters.
After receiving my material from GodOfRainbows I decided to turn my music into a electronic metal project. I wanted it to be somewhat cohesive.
But even though it's pretty metal sounding it's all electronic and programmed. The "guitars" are FM4 through Kuassas Creme amp.
I ended up making 3 tracks for my project.

These are my tracks . Scroll down two posts in the thread to hear GodOfRainbows tracks.

GodOfRainbows original ideas

Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 26 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.

TheGodOfRainbows

24 Aug 2021

The synth/guitar and drums are brutal. Circus of doom energy. Good stuff!

I'll post my tracks in a day or so.

TheGodOfRainbows

26 Aug 2021

Here are my finished tracks. Was a fun project working with you Tritone. You're ideas were easy to work with and a great place to start making music from.

Tritones original song starters:

Popey
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2021

Some interesting music here from you both. Love how different they all sound from the original ideas and the directions you each took to add your own flavour. I bet this was a lot of fun to do.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2021

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
26 Aug 2021
Here are my finished tracks. Was a fun project working with you Tritone. You're ideas were easy to work with and a great place to start making music from.

Tritones original song starters:

All great tracks man. Like I mentioned to you earlier, I'm particularly impressed of how well you managed to integrate the original ideas and expand upon them.
Love that Dual Bodied Man track. :D

Likewise, I too enjoyed this collab with you.
Next project of mine will be the complete opposite of what I typically do. Rather than writing songs I'm gonna take a month watching tutorials and reading manuals. Then I'm gonna spend my time trying to make my own patches. The main focus will be on Grain and Europa. Who knows, maybe in a months time I'll have my own and first Tritone refill... :o

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2021

Popey wrote:
26 Aug 2021
Some interesting music here from you both. Love how different they all sound from the original ideas and the directions you each took to add your own flavour. I bet this was a lot of fun to do.
Thanks. Yes it was fun. And it was cool to get the initial creative spark from someone else.

TheGodOfRainbows

28 Aug 2021

On Song D, I really like that variation of the main part at 1:59, and the ending outro leads. What synth did you use for that? Is everything FM4? Sounds epic.

I love Song G and the huge prog rock mid section. The modulation, texture and tone, and the way the guitar's dig in thought is pretty dope. :clap:

Looking forward to your next project! :thumbs_up:

TheGodOfRainbows

28 Aug 2021

Popey wrote:
26 Aug 2021
Thanks! Yes it was fun!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2021

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
28 Aug 2021
On Song D, I really like that variation of the main part at 1:59, and the ending outro leads. What synth did you use for that? Is everything FM4? Sounds epic.

I love Song G and the huge prog rock mid section. The modulation, texture and tone, and the way the guitar's dig in thought is pretty dope. :clap:

Looking forward to your next project! :thumbs_up:
Thanks man.
The lead sounds in Song D is VK-2 through Creme, SMFX reverb and Synapse Deep reverb. I'm talking about the parts at 1:10, 2:00, 2:50. The rhythmic melody at 0:36 is Legend.
The bass for the whole project is Subtractors default patch Bass Guitar (with some minor mixing treatment). :lol: Why complicate things? The bass is just there to support the guitar anyway.

modecca

15 Sep 2021

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
26 Aug 2021

I have been looking at this collab from many angles and one question that came to mind is: which song does the best job reflecting both artists? I think as the name undeniably suggests, this one does an excellent job giving you a taste of both artists.

In relation to TritoneAddiction's tracks, it feels like there is actually a 3rd masked collaborator, with Devin Townsend being secretly involved.
🔗💥

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2021

modecca wrote:
15 Sep 2021
In relation to TritoneAddiction's tracks, it feels like there is actually a 3rd masked collaborator, with Devin Townsend being secretly involved.
Yes, Devin was happy to add his flavor here and there. I also tried to get Trent Reznor on board, but apparently he was too busy playing around with Lectric Pandas latest AMS device. Maybe next time.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 16 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2021

modecca wrote:
15 Sep 2021
I have been looking at this collab from many angles and one question that came to mind is: which song does the best job reflecting both artists? I think as the name undeniably suggests, this one does an excellent job giving you a taste of both artists.
I think GodOfRainbows definitely did a better job at capturing both of us in his tracks. While I incorporated his ideas and used them as initial sparks to set off the rest of the tracks, he really integrated my ideas in his songs in way that I did not. He managed to make them the core of the songs.

What's interesting though is it wasn't actually only the seperate ideas from GodOfRainbows that determined the direction my songs took, it was all the ideas he sent to me combined, as a whole. So in a way even the ideas that weren't used here had a part in the overall direction of the project. I think there were like 5 different ideas that together told me to make a more cohesive project.

TheGodOfRainbows

16 Sep 2021

modecca wrote:
15 Sep 2021
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
26 Aug 2021

The titles Dual Bodied Man and Two Headed Duck are indeed suggestive of the mindset I had while working on all these tracks. I was trying to be original, but I was also trying to emulate Tritone style to some degree. I was kind of trying to just pick up where he left off.

And yeah perhaps unofficially Tritones tracks should be labeled as Three Headed Man because of the Devin flavor.

TheGodOfRainbows

16 Sep 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Sep 2021
modecca wrote:
15 Sep 2021
I think GodOfRainbows definitely did a better job at capturing both of us in his tracks. While I incorporated his ideas and used them as initial sparks to set off the rest of the tracks, he really integrated my ideas in his songs in way that I did not. He managed to make them the core of the songs.

What's interesting though is it wasn't actually only the seperate ideas from GodOfRainbows that determined the direction my songs took, it was all the ideas he sent to me combined, as a whole. So in a way even the ideas that weren't used here had a part in the overall direction of the project. I think there were like 5 different ideas that together told me to make a more cohesive project.
Thanks Tritone. You took things in a different direction, but it still worked and it was very satisfying to hear my ideas transformed into the ultra heavy hard hitting landscape that you created. If I was capable, I might have made something 'heavy', but that's clearly your purview and I couldn't have come close to executing it as well as you did.

Plus you did manage to make things cohesive, whereas my tracks are somewhat mismatched with each quite different from the other.

• Information