Reason Studios shares their roadmap (September 7, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

14 Sep 2021

flexluthor wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Can we get the notes in the piano roll like in ableton live? It’s a pain to trace a not all the way back to a key to see what it is. It’s just a nice quality of life feature to be able to see if something is A# just by reading it on the piano roll note
Yes very handy. Wanted this for years. How difficult is that to add? I just wonder, were not adding simple things like this done purposely? I can only presume so. I just don't get why things as basic as this are left out. In Reason 9, they added slicing notes with the razor tool and then left out joining notes, eh? that to me was just logical. I can remember when I first started using Reasin in 2012 (6.5) there was no lengthen / shorten notes from the beginning. Can't recall when it was added now, possibly 8 when they added double clicking to add notes, anyone?'

They also go through the whole key highlighting implementation in 11 and left out having a shading across the note row in correspondence with your midi controller key depression, which enables you to quickly find out what a certain note is (in the midi editor) on your midi controller if say you open a project a month later. I would've thought that was the main thing to add in that feature no? it means you still have to press a key, watch the piano key in the midi editor light up and still have to keep following it across with your eyes which again, could be made easier if all piano key notes and notes themselves were labelled with the notes.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

djsmex

14 Sep 2021

Add midi I/o data to the RE sdk, to allow development of devices that can split by midi channel or add midi channel splits to the new combinator. Add remote items for the reason browser and sequencer tools in document scope.

jjrh

14 Sep 2021

Big thing for me would be selector knobs for the combinator (for stuff like choosing between a filter type, redrum pattern, osc, etc) patches would also be nice. Bigger editor would be handy. CV labels (so I know CV1 is something). Copy paste in the programmer

More tools for CV stuff would be nice - AND/OR/XOR, math operations, etc. static CV values, CV display, CV io selectors (so you can easily select between say a matrix and a arp) Lot of this stuff already exists as rack extensions and you can abuse thor quite a bit to get this but it would be nice to have dedicated first party devices.

New Filter would be nice - the ECF-42 could use a update.

Eurikon

15 Sep 2021

It would be nice if the whole modular aspect of Reason became compatible/comparable with Eurorack voltage standard.
IE: 1v/oct all the way up to 10 Volt , virtual.
Both technical and on the connections/knobs GUI labelling.

(example: https://vcvrack.com/manual/VoltageStandards)
★ --------------------------------------- ★
https://www.youtube.com/c/Eurikon
https://eurikon.bandcamp.com
https://instagram.com/eurikon_music
★ --------------------------------------- ★

s0ber

15 Sep 2021

R11 was an outstanding release and fixed so many workflow issues. It's sad R12 is not like that and there are no clear signs of what exact improvements to expect even in a shared roadmap. The M1 compatibility, graphics, performance, shiny styles — those are not updates, those are just regular chores. Putting those on a first place in a list is disappointing. As well as with the new devices — there are so many 3rd party RES (and VSTs) you can spend your whole salary on, they will expand your capabilities and will give you a lot of the new ideas.

What people are missing are the improvements to the environment itself. How this could still be under investigation??? People were complaining about exact issues for years and still they are "under investigation". Add more hotkeys (switching the grid size should be instant), make piano roll more user friendly, add group tracks. Is it that hard to figure out?

vncnt

15 Sep 2021

Hi, this is my first post in here.
As a hobbyist, I'm a Reason user since Neptune in v6/2011.

I have the impression that some existing issues in v12 something to do with Reason+.
It would be strange to keep perpetual license holders waiting for new features.
For such an agreement, the users often want to know a little more about the intentions with version 12.

For me, I am happy that the product is being further developed and
that there is a chance of VST3, that hopefully will be good enough for Melodyne.

I'm also very glad with this first implementation of the zoom option.
According to my optician I already fall into the category of visually challenged.
So please remove the suggestion in the promo video as if it's only for grannies.
It is not a nice thing to say.
Adjusting the display properties in Windows doesn't help for every piece of software that I need to use on my pc.
However, adjusting font/button size per application does. Or browser style zooming (a perfect example of flexible zooming).

Only slightly worried that the A-List Acoustic Guitarist v2 product page is down.
The current ReasonStudios website is a bit weird with the most important submenus at the bottom.

In Reason 12 I'd like to see some of these improvements or additions:

Instruments
- Scottish bagpipes
- Dutch streetorgan (I'm trying to contact museums for recording my own samples)
- pipe organ simulations are very limited compared to real organs as can be found in churches and concerthalls

Browser
- filter by simulations of real instruments -> a personal rating system? To much rubbish that I never use or want to see while browsing.
- unable to move important column names to the left side

Functionality
- keyboard note to CV
- trigger recording on MIDI activity (hands on keyboard!)
- a visual indicator that highlights the first/second/third(/fourth) beat (it really helps in certain situations)
- add zoom 130% and 150% (important sweet spots)
- zoom by scrollwheel + focus on mouse pointer, treated separately for Rack, Mixer, and Sequencer
- 2D pan by middle mouse button for Rack, Mixer, and Sequencer
- export loop is only available in stereo: please add channel selector for L, R or L+R separated
- Reason is not really dual screen aware: I keep adjusting the Rack and Mixer on the 2nd screen
- a vertical drag lock system when dragging a set of notes (initially and mainly) left or right
- a horizontal drag lock system when dragging a set of notes (initially and mainly) up or down

esselfortium

15 Sep 2021

Instruments
- Scottish bagpipes
this is also my #1 feature request, forget everything i said previously.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

jamespember
Reason Studios

15 Sep 2021

esselfortium wrote:
15 Sep 2021

Instruments
- Scottish bagpipes
this is also my #1 feature request, forget everything i said previously.
:clap:

That would honestly be amazing to see..... someone make a combi2 bagpipes instrument asap!!!

jamespember
Reason Studios

15 Sep 2021

vncnt wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Hi, this is my first post in here.
As a hobbyist, I'm a Reason user since Neptune in v6/2011.

I have the impression that some existing issues in v12 something to do with Reason+.
It would be strange to keep perpetual license holders waiting for new features.
For such an agreement, the users often want to know a little more about the intentions with version 12.

For me, I am happy that the product is being further developed and
that there is a chance of VST3, that hopefully will be good enough for Melodyne.

I'm also very glad with this first implementation of the zoom option.
According to my optician I already fall into the category of visually challenged.
So please remove the suggestion in the promo video as if it's only for grannies.
It is not a nice thing to say.
Adjusting the display properties in Windows doesn't help for every piece of software that I need to use on my pc.
However, adjusting font/button size per application does. Or browser style zooming (a perfect example of flexible zooming).

Only slightly worried that the A-List Acoustic Guitarist v2 product page is down.
The current ReasonStudios website is a bit weird with the most important submenus at the bottom.

Instruments
- Scottish bagpipes
- Dutch streetorgan (I'm trying to contact museums for recording my own samples)
- pipe organ simulations are very limited compared to real organs as can be found in churches and concerthalls

Browser
- filter by simulations of real instruments -> a personal rating system? To much rubbish that I never use or want to see while browsing.
- unable to move important column names to the left side

Functionality
- keyboard note to CV
- trigger recording on MIDI activity (hands on keyboard!)
- a visual indicator that highlights the first/second/third(/fourth) beat (it really helps in certain situations)
- add zoom 130% and 150% (important sweet spots)
- zoom by scrollwheel + focus on mouse pointer, treated separately for Rack, Mixer, and Sequencer
- 2D pan by middle mouse button for Rack, Mixer, and Sequencer
- export loop is only available in stereo: please add channel selector for L, R or L+R separated
- Reason is not really dual screen aware: I keep adjusting the Rack and Mixer on the 2nd screen
- a vertical drag lock system when dragging a set of notes (initially and mainly) left or right
- a horizontal drag lock system when dragging a set of notes (initially and mainly) up or down
Thx for your input! Lots of great ideas in there.

jamespember
Reason Studios

15 Sep 2021

s0ber wrote:
15 Sep 2021
R11 was an outstanding release and fixed so many workflow issues. It's sad R12 is not like that and there are no clear signs of what exact improvements to expect even in a shared roadmap. The M1 compatibility, graphics, performance, shiny styles — those are not updates, those are just regular chores. Putting those on a first place in a list is disappointing. As well as with the new devices — there are so many 3rd party RES (and VSTs) you can spend your whole salary on, they will expand your capabilities and will give you a lot of the new ideas.

What people are missing are the improvements to the environment itself. How this could still be under investigation??? People were complaining about exact issues for years and still they are "under investigation". Add more hotkeys (switching the grid size should be instant), make piano roll more user friendly, add group tracks. Is it that hard to figure out?
Hey there. We are fully aware that R12 has a bunch of stability issues, admittedly, a few more than we would've liked. But rest assured, we're working furiously to get those fixed and released as fast as we can.

guitfnky

15 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
15 Sep 2021
s0ber wrote:
15 Sep 2021

Hey there. We are fully aware that R12 has a bunch of stability issues, admittedly, a few more than we would've liked. But rest assured, we're working furiously to get those fixed and released as fast as we can.
wow, there’s a big elephant in that room, you just left sitting there, ignored. 😅
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

jamespember
Reason Studios

15 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
15 Sep 2021
jamespember wrote:
15 Sep 2021
wow, there’s a big elephant in that room, you just left sitting there, ignored. 😅
Not sure we've exactly ignored that elephant :) We've published on our blog that we're investigating improvements to the overall Reason workflow and experience, including the sequencer. We don't have specifics to report yet, because we don't have specifics to report yet - that is what we are working on.

As we spoke about in Niklas' blog post, we are trying to be far more transparent moving forward, to let you in on what we're investigating and to gather feedback along the way. Hopefully this will help reduce confusion moving forward and we can be more open about why we do or do not implement certain features. :thumbup:

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Not sure we've exactly ignored that elephant :) We've published on our blog that we're investigating improvements to the overall Reason workflow and experience, including the sequencer. We don't have specifics to report yet, because we don't have specifics to report yet - that is what we are working on.

As we spoke about in Niklas' blog post, we are trying to be far more transparent moving forward, to let you in on what we're investigating and to gather feedback along the way. Hopefully this will help reduce confusion moving forward and we can be more open about why we do or do not implement certain features. :thumbup:
This is a good move going forwards.

By being too elusive, people have to guess what they're buying into or evaluating their overall purchases.

It also communicates that you care enough about them to share your disposition and respectful enough to admit when something isn't quite right.

Kudos to whoever made this happen

Arrant
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

:lightbulb: :lightbulb: From a cynical perspective I present "The secret but probably real Reason Studios roadmap" :lightbulb: :lightbulb:

Looking into the crystal ball I predict that at least one of the following statements are true come year-end 2023:
  1. Reason 13 (or whatever is current at that time) will be the last version you can buy a perpetual license for. If you want updates after that you will need to subscribe.
    Because a) any corporation wants predictable recurring revenue and b) it makes for shorter development cycles (I can virtually hear the strategists calling for more agile development).
  2. Rack Extensions are no more. You can keep buying existing ones for a while but the SDK is no longer developed and no new developers or devices are accepted.
    Because a) maintaining the SDK, build environment etc is unsustainable when none of the bigger developers are making REs any more and b) VSTs rule (functionality, sound, variety and price.)
  3. Only the rack is still being developed. You can run the mixer and sequencer too if you want as a "bonus", but it will be considered obsolete and no longer be developed.
    Because a) Reason Studios can't keep up with the development going into competing DAWs and b) the rack is where the money is at.
The last one is what I'm most uncertain about and also the one I fear the most.

OK, so this list is a bit of a joke but the worrying sings are there and if we follow the money trail this is where we end up.

joeyluck

15 Sep 2021

I wonder if more can be planned and shared with the roadmap with everything that is in play now. With subscriptions being a driving force and the necessity of releasing new versions being less, I feel like RS can say "We will deliver MPE support for R12, no matter what and no matter when, it will be in R12!" (hehe just as an example).

With subscriptions and higher perpetual license costs, there should be no pressure to have to move onto the next big version. Look at Logic's release schedule. Logic 10 was released in 2013 and it is on 10.6.3. I mean that's a bit drastic to compare to, but the point being is it doesn't have to be cut off every two years or so to start the next.

I like how Audio Modeling shared their roadmap, which outlined years into the future:
https://community.audiomodeling.com/ind ... gh-roadmap

You can see years into the future!
February 26th, 2020: release of SWAM Solo Brass for Desktop
March 2020: partnership with ILIO
July 2020 update v1.5.0 of SWAM Solo Brass for Desktop
August 2020 update v1.5.1 of SWAM Solo Brass for Desktop
October 2020: Camelot v2.0 with Master Effects, Audio/MIDI FX plugins, Timeline Manager, Audio Backing Tracks, Layer connectors, extended controller mapping (volumes and other parameters)
December 2020 release of SWAM Solo Brass for iOS (Beta)
January 2021: official release of SWAM Solo Brass for iOS, update 1.6.0 of SWAM Solo Brass for Desktop
March 23rd 2021: SWAM Solo Strings v3 iPad Beta Program
March 2021: SWAM Solo Strings v3 for Desktop and iPad
Summer 2021: Camelot v2.1 with Audio Input, Routing, Side chaining, MIDI Transformers, Backing tracks Lazy Loading
Fall 2021: SWAM Solo Woodwinds v3 for Desktop and iPad
2021: more partnerships
2021: more Camelot modules
2022: SWAM Ensembles, Harmonica
2023: SWAM "World" instruments
Perhaps some of the "investigating" and hesitation to commit to certain features beyond January is because RS is unsure of how long the development time will be for each feature and not sure what will fit into the current version before having to consider what will be in the next version. And I'm just saying that should be thrown out the window. R12 with the support of R+ and new higher costs for licenses, means it should be able to be packed to the brim with features before even having to think about R13.

Thus, do some investigating for sure, but then let open the gates and make a roadmap that is more than a few months out.

timotheen

15 Sep 2021

I don't know how you all feel about this. But I just received an email stating that the upgrade price will increase in 2 weeks. I'm in disbelief really. It's their company, they do what the hell they want, but come on... R12 updates are overall quite underwelming in term of environnement and workflow. Reading all these instability issues made me even more unconfortable to get the update right away... But if being more transparent and getting a roadmap, means that we have to spend more money to know "exactly" what we're getting into... Well that's just a no no for me. It just doesn't feel right... I don't know, maybe I'm too attached to Reason and I'm just expecting way too much. But to be honest, getting a 2 weeks notice, and to feel pressured to get the update at "a good price", is the last thing I was expecting. wow :thumbs_down:

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
15 Sep 2021
:lightbulb: :lightbulb: From a cynical perspective I present "The secret but probably real Reason Studios roadmap" :lightbulb: :lightbulb:

Looking into the crystal ball I predict that at least one of the following statements are true come year-end 2023:
  1. Reason 13 (or whatever is current at that time) will be the last version you can buy a perpetual license for. If you want updates after that you will need to subscribe.
    Because a) any corporation wants predictable recurring revenue and b) it makes for shorter development cycles (I can virtually hear the strategists calling for more agile development).
  2. Rack Extensions are no more. You can keep buying existing ones for a while but the SDK is no longer developed and no new developers or devices are accepted.
    Because a) maintaining the SDK, build environment etc is unsustainable when none of the bigger developers are making REs any more and b) VSTs rule (functionality, sound, variety and price.)
  3. Only the rack is still being developed. You can run the mixer and sequencer too if you want as a "bonus", but it will be considered obsolete and no longer be developed.
    Because a) Reason Studios can't keep up with the development going into competing DAWs and b) the rack is where the money is at.
The last one is what I'm most uncertain about and also the one I fear the most.

OK, so this list is a bit of a joke but the worrying sings are there and if we follow the money trail this is where we end up.
No.

The Reason why they won't do that is simply because it will NEVER be in their best interests to not have a viable perpetual license available.

See, if someone doesn't upgrade for a few years, they'll still be using Reason. At the very least they'll upgrade when they see an exciting feature.

If someone stops subscribing they will have to start making their projects in something else. They're much less likely to even consider resubscribing because of a feature after getting comfortable elsewhere.

It's a lose/lose proposition.

It's not like Reason has a monopoly or no viable alternatives.

They'll keep the SDK too because it's how they develop their own devices. It benefits them. Plus they get the odd bit of gold from forum members and the occasional big name.

DJMaytag

15 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
I'm sure you've written this a million times on here before, but just so I am in the loop on your own personal opinions - what are the most important top few "legacy" (i.e. longer term) bugs in your mind?
#1 is a bug with the Spider Audio Merger. It should pass audio data bit for bit unchanged with only one input, but it doesn’t for some reason. I don’t recall exactly what was happening, but I’ve heard it’s a latency issue. For an original device to have had this bug continue for so long… it’s disappointing.

#2 may or may not be a bug, but it is a big hassle for those of us who use (or want to use) Reason with external hardware. There is a muting issue that causes some devices to go silent beyond a certain threshold. This isn’t uncommon, but in other DAW’s, there is a way to change that threshold. Reason can’t be, to my knowledge. I forget what the threshold was, but it was around the -84dB area (affecting the 16th bit of audio). I use some VST’s that send digital audio out to some hardware that translates Reason CV into real world CV, and this muting issue causes problems with doing so.

scotward57

15 Sep 2021

To follow up the great roadmap article with a price increase announcement...wow. Game Over! It's time for RS Inc to call Ableton, Steinberg or Apple and make an offer to be bought out. Right now the bosses are sharing drinks thinking that their customers will get over the price increase quickly and convert even more over to R+. But the hard truth is that many have already taken a hard look at other DAWs, other plug-in collections, etc and as of today, determined that they've had enough.

guitfnky

15 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
15 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
15 Sep 2021

I meant specifically within your response to the post, not that it wasn’t addressed at all. seemed like a really well thought out answer to glaringly respond to only half the stuff that was asked. I just thought it seemed funny, is all.

I’ve said it before—in spite of my continued gripes about the current state of Reason, I do think it’s a great sign that you’re striving to be more transparent. and even when I don’t always agree with the choices being made, I appreciate the candor.

miscend

15 Sep 2021

To be honest this is not the most ambitious roadmap I've seen. Behringer have ambitious plans a free DAW. UA have a free DAW that aims to compete with ProTools if you have their hardware.

jamespember
Reason Studios

16 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
15 Sep 2021
jamespember wrote:
15 Sep 2021

I meant specifically within your response to the post, not that it wasn’t addressed at all. seemed like a really well thought out answer to glaringly respond to only half the stuff that was asked. I just thought it seemed funny, is all.

I’ve said it before—in spite of my continued gripes about the current state of Reason, I do think it’s a great sign that you’re striving to be more transparent. and even when I don’t always agree with the choices being made, I appreciate the candor.
Thanks, glad to hear!

Proboscis

16 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
15 Sep 2021
even when I don’t always agree with the choices being made, I appreciate the candor.
Great day for you, to be able to deploy a word like 'candor' in a sentence. :clap:

WillyOD

16 Sep 2021

Maybe finish 25% of your backlog for R13 instead of jumping around like your company pants are on fire? I mean you should have a backlog for few versions worth by now, given your adventures in the world of REs, VSTs, HDs, ETCs.
jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
I can see it's on our backlog but didn't make it into the release. So we're definitely aware of it.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

guitfnky

16 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
16 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
15 Sep 2021
even when I don’t always agree with the choices being made, I appreciate the candor.
Great day for you, to be able to deploy a word like 'candor' in a sentence. :clap:
:lol: it’s one of the “core values” where I work, so the word is never far from reach for me. 😅

• Information