New Pricing for Reason 12 - Upgrades now 199 from 129

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What do you think about the Reason price increase?

Poll ended at 15 Oct 2021

The price isn’t a factor for me
5%
It’s still a bargain
1%
It’s about what I’d expect
6%
It’s kind of steep
20%
It’s way too much
68%

Total votes: 297
client6

15 Sep 2021

I would have happily pay to upgrade if the product was improved in some way. One redundant device, one utility, and a graphics upgrade really doesnt do it.

Not everybody uses samplers or cares about a new combinator. Make track folders, freeze tracks...core improvements.There is literally nothing about R12 that is an upgrade for some of us.

Unless there is a vastly improved point update I will stay with R11 Suite and simultaneously be teaching myself Live. I hate saying this because I much prefer the vibe of Reason...but it looks like it’s burning out.

doze

15 Sep 2021

$199 was crossgrade price for Cubase 11 Pro. ;)

client6

15 Sep 2021

arqui wrote:
15 Sep 2021
I hate when they want to rush me to buy something telling me that if I don't buy it today tomorrow it will be more expensive ... let them do what they want, I'm not going to buy a program that fails everywhere at whatever price ... fix it first the ship's holes ...
Example Reason 11 never finished fixing it ...
I agree. I honestly didnt really give a shit either way until I got their upgrade email and looked more at their idea of an “upgrade”. The plan backfired.

hurricane
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

$199 is Logic Pro plus all its goodies and free updates.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Kalm

15 Sep 2021

flexluthor wrote:
15 Sep 2021
There is nothing in a Reason update worth that much. This will be my last Reason upgrade, just so I can get M1 and High res graphics. I understand inflation, but reason is giving less and less each year while the competition gets better and better.

How many failed half assed business plans have they tried now?

1. Lets jump on the DAW thing. Thats the ticket. Oh wait... that didnt work, it pissed off all the old reason users. Lets just jam them together.

2. Apps are the future. Mobile. Apps! Its a golden ticket. Then they abandon it all after it turned out not to the the gravy train they thought following the herd would be.

3. Collaboration! That's it. Social Media! Doh. Half assed it again. Ended up selling it off.

4. App stores! Thats it! We'll be just like Apple and make an App Store. Everyone loves those! Well... its still there but they don't even push it anymore.

5. SaS is the big new thing. Look everyone is going to it, lets do that too! It'll totally be a hit! Doh.

These are all actions of a flailing company that really has no idea what its doing. Just commit to something.
My if this isn't correct. It's like they try something to grab who they can to the platform . . . then secretly throw it in the pile with the rest of the junk . . .
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

michael.jaye

15 Sep 2021

Neo wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Most of us want R to be the best it can be. That said this has been the buggiest release to date (IMO!).
I'm sure faith will be restored when we get patch fixes and VST3 arrives in JAN. Right?..
129USD=180AUD
199USD=275AUD
For $275 AUD I wouldn't updgrade for 'QOL' features. The next Reason version would really have to offer an insane amount of added value.
But then again, I would have happily stayed on R10 anyway.

Kalm

15 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
15 Sep 2021
You know I try to be optimistic...or as other people like to refer to it, "being a fanboi" lol.

Today, Reason 12 is $129 and I think the new Combinator and Mimic alone are worth that price. And while there are other things in Reason I want to see developed (MPE!!!!!), I think even if the Combinator is further developed during R12, that could be worth the new upgrade price IMO.
I use to be a fanboi of Reason. Now I became a Reason user like long time Pro-Tool engineers. I use it now only because it works and theres nothing that does better than what it does. I'm talking the entire cohesiveness and preferences of the DAW. It's literally the only reason why I still use it.

But for the life of me, I cannot see how Mimic and and the new combinator or worth $129. In other terms, would you spend $130 every update for two devices? If that's the case their RE's should be $65 each. THEN we can effortlessly see the value in the DAW. Have you seen the S1 5.4 update?

I only upgraded to R12 because if I get to a point where I don't use the additional synths from Props, I'll still be with a native Hi-Res M1 copy with hopefully better CPU. I can't have expectations for this DAW anymore because . . . I literally don't know where or why my money is going to them other than hopefully the next version makes my life and process easier in some aspect.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Jagwah

15 Sep 2021

While the roadmap seemed like a great step forward, I have a feeling it's all for Reason+ users. There was no mention of these updates coming to R12 point upgrades, maybe the point upgrades are no longer a thing. This would actually make sense for a price hike.

I do not need things for my ìnstrument that do not appeal to me directly, hence why I am perfectly content on R10.

$280 AUS ouch!

joeyluck

15 Sep 2021

Kalm wrote:
15 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
15 Sep 2021
You know I try to be optimistic...or as other people like to refer to it, "being a fanboi" lol.

Today, Reason 12 is $129 and I think the new Combinator and Mimic alone are worth that price. And while there are other things in Reason I want to see developed (MPE!!!!!), I think even if the Combinator is further developed during R12, that could be worth the new upgrade price IMO.
I use to be a fanboi of Reason. Now I became a Reason user like long time Pro-Tool engineers. I use it now only because it works and theres nothing that does better than what it does. I'm talking the entire cohesiveness and preferences of the DAW. It's literally the only reason why I still use it.

But for the life of me, I cannot see how Mimic and and the new combinator or worth $129. In other terms, would you spend $130 every update for two devices? If that's the case their RE's should be $65 each. THEN we can effortlessly see the value in the DAW. Have you seen the S1 5.4 update?

I only upgraded to R12 because if I get to a point where I don't use the additional synths from Props, I'll still be with a native Hi-Res M1 copy with hopefully better CPU. I can't have expectations for this DAW anymore because . . . I literally don't know where or why my money is going to them other than hopefully the next version makes my life and process easier in some aspect.
I've spent more on single plugins.

And I'm currently on the fence to crossgrade Kontakt while on sale at 50% off for $125 solely to be able to use non-Kontakt Player libraries.

So yeah, I think people tend to have a different value of their dollar for a DAW upgrade than they do for the plugins they put in it. And that's understandable, because it's compared to what other DAW upgrades include. But in comparison to the rest of the software world, including plugins, I've always seen it as pretty good for $129.

$199 on the other hand, I would have to think harder and I would have to see more for sure.

I see the new price, and I think, "ok let's do this!" A DAW that has an upgrade price of $199 needs to be a full-fledged DAW with MPE support and video sync support, etc.

plaamook

15 Sep 2021

Hmm.
Well, I guess I’m gonna have to see what R13 brings, given the road map, my finances, etc. 199 is more like real money to me these days. And w 12 being what it is, and isn’t, I can’t justify it. And I do t like feeling pushed like this either.
I dont mind them raising the price but as others have mentioned, the timing was suboptimal.
What a year.
And I was feeling so cheerful after the road map post.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

PropitiousME

15 Sep 2021

Kalm wrote:
15 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
15 Sep 2021

That Studio One 5.4 update is icing on the cake for Presonus. In fact, I'd argue every update has been hitting a home run over there since V.4 (I was an early adopter at V.2). They've really been taking the piss out of the competition when it comes to value add and feature growth across their interim updates. I also swung over to the IK Multimedia Group Buy the other day: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=11269. I've got little to no reason to load RRP at this point (let alone a 12 Upgrade). The current offering from IK is truly a rare gem of a promo IMO (RE: for anyone looking to better invest $200). Between Studio One 5, Yamaha Montage platform, Mix Box, Sample Tank 4, Syntronik Deluxe, Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE, MODO Bass, MODO DRUMS, T-RackS 5, T-RackS SE, Amplitude 5, and a slew of additional T-RackS devices I want for absolutely nothing from design to mixing to mastering. Not to mention ALL that IK software for the price of one Mix Box license. Just picked up my 14th freebie today!

Currently selling my Live 10 Suite license and may be adding Reason 11 Suite to that list after this debacle. Shame really, I like the core product. I'm not paying $200 for every RS update and I wouldn't pay $220 for Ableton either. There just isn't enough there to convince me I'm netting a correlating value (in either product). Mileage varies for everyone though.

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
15 Sep 2021
While the roadmap seemed like a great step forward, I have a feeling it's all for Reason+ users. There was no mention of these updates coming to R12 point upgrades, maybe the point upgrades are no longer a thing. This would actually make sense for a price hike.

I do not need things for my ìnstrument that do not appeal to me directly, hence why I am perfectly content on R10.

$280 AUS ouch!
They're definitely for R12.

R+ gets previews of the next version, not exclusive bug fixes a few months after.

They've also explained that R12 was released as is before all features are ready because they were eager to share it. Ergo, yes, the roadmap is for R12.

Faastwalker

15 Sep 2021

Wow!!! Only posted within the last 24 hours and already 7 pages long. I can't say I'm surprised at the reaction. I have not had a chance to read through the thread yet, although I definitely will be. I feel this is a real dick move by RS. As they said there has NEVER been an price increase before. EVER! So why now? The ONLY conclusion you can logically come to is to steer people away from buying Reason an towards the Reason+ subscription plan. Notice Reason+ is the only way to get Reason after October 1st that has not been affected by the price hike. As a Reason+ subscriber this is a moot point. For everyone else .......... come into the light, stay away from buying Reason. Subscribe instead, you know it makes sense! And we're going to show you that before too long it will be the only way forward by proxy :?

WOO

15 Sep 2021

Get it while you can folks! I believe the company will be sold off before a version 13 arrives despite all of the happy talk of a future road map. Vulture capitalists strike again!

Billy+

15 Sep 2021

It would have been better to actually try selling us an upgrade that works

We got long standing features that are broken (midi drag'n drop & soundfont imports)
We got glitches with mismatched low & hi dpi and a zoom that's worse than worthless
We got a new combinator that might be getting more features
A list of supposedly soon to come features and a product that shouldn't have been released

WITH MORE BUGS THAN A JUNK YARD MATTRESS

And RS wants us to rush into buying it before the price goes up
The worst part is none of this is actually getting fixed before the price increases in October (What A Joke)

I've removed companion and R12 as i don't even see the point continue with my £1 subscription let alone paying £20

Them DAW cross grades sure are looking like a good idea about now.....

Proboscis

15 Sep 2021

Nobody likes a price hike, but for me it just makes the decision easier. I won't be upgrading. :thumbup:

For those arguing 'cost of living', here's a summary, based on a rolling inflation rate (for Sweden) since 2011. If price hikes were to follow this, then the 2021 upgrade price would be $144.00. This announcement represents a 4x price hike above the theoretical cost of doing business.

image_2021-09-16_112012.png
image_2021-09-16_112012.png (11.52 KiB) Viewed 2667 times

fieldframe
RE Developer

15 Sep 2021

Judging by the thread, it looks like popular opinion swings strongly in one direction, but let’s see what a slightly more scientific approach yields.

flexluthor

15 Sep 2021

Yep, I was thinking it should be like 145 to 149 if they were going to increase it. Not a 60% increase for less features.

Yet another Reason Studios business model failing. Lets see how well that SaS is going to work boys. You've tried to jump on every other industry trend in the past decade (App Store, mobile apps, social site, ect) lets see how bad you screw this one up. Given your past success with every other me too move, I'm sure it will work out fine!

Catblack

15 Sep 2021

Well I got into the R12 update when it was cheap several months ago. I expected from Sequencer improvements, R11 had a couple, but none that a serious daily user would request.

I mean for fuck's sake, some track folders or just some other markers besides L and R in the sequencer would go a long way...

I'm not surprised they are increasing the cost of the upgrades. But it's a DICK MOVE to give two short weeks notice. That's not sales pressure, that's really putting the screws to people. If they'd said Nov 1st, and given 6 weeks I would consider that to be much nicer. Why the damn rush? Do they want to get the outrage out of the way quickly?

People -- real people, your users, Reason Studios -- need time to budget these things.

Anyhow, upping the cost of upgrades means people will have less money to spend on Rack Extensions.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

fieldframe
RE Developer

15 Sep 2021

flexluthor wrote:
15 Sep 2021
. You've tried to jump on every other industry trend in the past decade (App Store, mobile apps, social site, ect) lets see how bad you screw this one up. Given your past success with every other me too move, I'm sure it will work out fine!
Wow, ouch…

R303

15 Sep 2021

The frequency of annoyance is already worrying here, amazing that no one from RS notices this.
Unless much more is released, the future will be difficult for new sales records.

-new browser search
-hi-res
-VST 3
That's all things with standard character today. It's much effort, of course, but it's a decision of RS for instance to make the graphics so much complex.

-M1-support
Uninteresting for Win-Users

rgdaniel

15 Sep 2021

I could afford it, but I'd already decided to wait for the dust to settle, which won't happen before the price goes up.
In context, it's a dick move. (Was hoping that would be one the options ) :)

Social Exodus

15 Sep 2021

Since everything else in the world is on hyper inflation mode (at least here in the US) I am not surprised by this personally. However in my case, I have actually enjoyed learning Reaper of late and it cost me $60 with a small but capable suite of vanilla plug-ins for free. What ticks me off more than this is that I owned Cakewalk SONAR Platinum (SPLAT) and while Bandlab (CbB) has taken the DAW itself and run with it -- all of the included plugins from the SPLAT version ONLY work in CbB and not in Reaper. Like Rack Extensions, these are only good in the DAW you got them for.

So this is why I am migrating to Reaper at this point which uses VSTs that I can collect as (if?) needed and get myself off the perpetual upgrade train,

Besides, when someone tries to rush me by saying "Hurry" or "Limited Time" or whatever else, I get turned off and refuse to buy generally. In fact, I have killed all my music gear SPAM mail and decided to simply go looking when and if I have a legitimate need.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

QVprod

15 Sep 2021

Don't know if anyone follows the Verzuz battles here... but relevant...

Just a little humor for a tense thread.

Proboscis

15 Sep 2021

flexluthor wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Yep, I was thinking it should be like 145 to 149 if they were going to increase it. Not a 60% increase for less features.

Yet another Reason Studios business model failing. Lets see how well that SaS is going to work boys. You've tried to jump on every other industry trend in the past decade (App Store, mobile apps, social site, ect) lets see how bad you screw this one up. Given your past success with every other me too move, I'm sure it will work out fine!
Out of interest, why do you think a 4x price increase over rolling inflation is representative of the business failing ?

AFAIK, Reason's majority stakeholder is an investment firm. A company that has no interest in music-making any more than they have an interest in bull semen (I kid you not, that's another business in their portfolio!)

So then, for a parent business whose ONLY goal in a free market is to make as much $$ as possible (and it could be argued, the model of any business growth strategy, regardless of structure), their options in reaching those goals are:

A - Increase Prices
B - Increase Sales
C - Both A & B

• Information