Propellerhead were sort of right with ReWire ...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2021

So ... one of the first things I did with Maschine was running it standalone alongside Studio One or Reason running on a different audio interface.

I'd build parts in Reason and then just record them directly into Maschine via the audio inputs (you do need to be careful about ground feedback loops).

It got me thinking, this set-up is a lot like ReWire without the sync but with all applications involved having their full capabilities available. I've already been using self-sampling as a composition method for several years now.

Maybe they were onto something from the start.

I find it's too easy to get stuck into a way of thinking when working in the box where you forget how natural and free music-making can be when you have many options available to you that might be more appropriate for the task.

Sometimes you want to be managing multiple devices with a screen and mouse, but sometimes you want to work with a dedicated physical device that does one thing well, and then turn around and start moving things around on your screen with your mouse.

okaino

14 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
09 Sep 2021
So ... one of the first things I did with Maschine was running it standalone alongside Studio One or Reason running on a different audio interface.

I'd build parts in Reason and then just record them directly into Maschine via the audio inputs (you do need to be careful about ground feedback loops).

It got me thinking, this set-up is a lot like ReWire without the sync but with all applications involved having their full capabilities available. I've already been using self-sampling as a composition method for several years now.

Maybe they were onto something from the start.

I find it's too easy to get stuck into a way of thinking when working in the box where you forget how natural and free music-making can be when you have many options available to you that might be more appropriate for the task.

Sometimes you want to be managing multiple devices with a screen and mouse, but sometimes you want to work with a dedicated physical device that does one thing well, and then turn around and start moving things around on your screen with your mouse.
There was a time prolly around 2009 - 2012 maybe. where you couldnt tell me i wasnt in heaven using reason 5 and rewiring a session to record reason into protools/logic and mixing in there. The fact that i dont want to do that now i guess is a sign reason is moving in the right direction...ill stop here because nothin else will sound good lol

huggermugger

14 Sep 2021

I found it very natural to Rewire Reason into Logic, quite remarkable actually to combine two DAWs with complementary feature sets and have them work so well in sync. I used that combo for a good part of my freelance composing career. The RRP isn't the same thing, because Reason's own sequencer and all that implies (notes, patterns, different editing views, pattern and CV automation, etc) are missing. Rewire gave you that.

Eurikon

15 Sep 2021

ReWire was for me at the time , Reason + Cubase or Reason + Ableton the best workflow ever.

It was truly like having all midi modules in a studio setup instantly available.
No hick-ups no lags, no sync issues, all naming intact.
I definitely prefer using ReWire over using RRP

I really miss ReWire, funny thing is Cubase and a couple of other DAWS still have ReWire options till to date.

So... R.S.? bring it back :-)
★ --------------------------------------- ★
https://www.youtube.com/c/Eurikon
https://eurikon.bandcamp.com
https://instagram.com/eurikon_music
★ --------------------------------------- ★

adfielding

15 Sep 2021

The first (and only) time I properly used ReWire for a full project was in 2011 when I was working on a production album. I was having a full-on "grass is greener" moment after picking up Komplete 7, which may or may not have been compounded by my contracting glandular fever shortly beforehand. It was a miserable experience and, due to having some pretty poor archival practises at the time, it's been a source of irritation ever since whenever someone requests stems for a particular track. I know it worked for a lot of people, but ReWire was definitely not for me!

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

What I mean is, with a few improvements it could have been a blast (not ReWire as it was).

Maschine works a lot like ReWire when used as a VST. You record your patterns with Maschine rather than the host DAW, and apart from audio input and the ability to control the transport bar (e.g. turning on/off loop mode, or changing loop points), it runs a lot like ReWire but as a VST with the added benefit of being saved within the host DAW's project.

okaino

15 Sep 2021

I used reason 4/5 rewired reason to protools to mix and a had a year or 2 where i rewired reason 5 to logic you couldnt convince me i wasnt in heaven. I didnt have anything past reason 5 until reason 9 (if you know why you know)and once i saw the main mixer window it just made sense to see how i can start and finish in reason. Its way more of a task then it has to be but do able. There was a process to converting a file to work with rewire but i honestly didnt mind there was no better option at the time. I finished more projects that way then i am currently.

Despite what reason lacks especially in the sequencer its not enough to make me go back to protools for better editing which is crazy to say imo... which is also kind of why I know even though reason isnt matching the efficiency of other daws its still as effective. Once you get around the BS. You do hve to do put way more effort into everything (and its not really creative effort heavily technical), but theres no equivalent to the rack in any daw including how we use insert fx.

Im saying all that and im about to complain about the insert fx in a post as soon as i finish writing this....the irony....

Jackjackdaw

15 Sep 2021

I'm a Rewire fan. Multiple midi tracks controlling multiple devices in a Reason rack. Sequenced and mixed in Cubase. They shouldn't have removed it before RRP could do that instead.

DaveyG

15 Sep 2021

I liked it. It just worked. The only downside was having to keep two projects in step with each other.

• Information