Reason 12 has arrived

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
14 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021

I still feel like the only thing that is lost is the mouse control of macros from the mixer view. Everything else carries over. But now I'm using the 'edit inserts' button from the mixer, which I didn't use before, which really speeds up workflow and gives access to all the controls and macros in my insert.
that is what it became when they removed the remote from the inserts a need to use the mouse instead of turning a knob on the controller no need to use the mouse at all. I know we are getting the remotes back, but it seams that some of you that don't use controllers seam not to understand is that we could do stuff without using the mouse but that we can't do now be ww will again soon.
That is the issue with me and the others here that have been vocal about it. Knob control directly from the controller and no need to look at the screen, to mouse clicking and watching the screen.

but I don't understand why we are still debating this we are getting the controls back and when they are back I do not need to see them on screen because I didn't need to see them before.
I use a BCF-2000 at home and other digital mixers in different theatres. So I'm familiar. I'm not sure why the debate continues either. I was only trying to point out that when Remote is fixed, the only change is the mouse control of the macros from the mixer view.

Aquila

14 Sep 2021

Wait, so my current custom-mapped BCF controller WILL continue to control my custom inserts like normal, or won't it?

I'm very confused now.

joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

Aquila wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Wait, so my current custom-mapped BCF controller WILL continue to control my custom inserts like normal, or won't it?

I'm very confused now.
Yes it will. That's why I was asking if you were using R12 right now, as it might be easier to understand.

Those insert .cmb patches are now loaded as combinators directly inside the insert container (not hidden in an insert programmer). Automation already from previous projects carries over to those controls. It's the same combinator patch, existing instead directly inside the insert container rather than an insert programmer. A Combinator's editor is the programmer.

Remote will work similarly as automation. Your mappings for Rotary 1-4 and Button 1-4 will be directed to control the first 4 rotaries and first 4 buttons of the first Combinator in your insert. Hope that helps!

EnochLight

14 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
14 Sep 2021
but I don't understand why we are still debating this we are getting the controls back and when they are back I do not need to see them on screen because I didn't need to see them before.
Right, the fix will restore Remote functionality with pre-12 projects. The issue is some people liked having the macro controls on the main mixer as well (I think), and those are not coming back to my knowledge.
Aquila wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Once the fix is released, your custom-mapped BCF controller WILL continue to control your custom inserts like pre-12 - via Remote. You just won't have the macro knobs/buttons on the main mixer.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Aquila

14 Sep 2021

hmm I guess I'll still wait anyway. I wish I could trial V12, but all they have is the 7 day R+ trial which I already used :(

QVprod

14 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
14 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021

I still feel like the only thing that is lost is the mouse control of macros from the mixer view. Everything else carries over. But now I'm using the 'edit inserts' button from the mixer, which I didn't use before, which really speeds up workflow and gives access to all the controls and macros in my insert.
that is what it became when they removed the remote from the inserts a need to use the mouse instead of turning a knob on the controller no need to use the mouse at all. I know we are getting the remotes back, but it seams that some of you that don't use controllers seam not to understand is that we could do stuff without using the mouse but that we can't do now be ww will again soon.
That is the issue with me and the others here that have been vocal about it. Knob control directly from the controller and no need to look at the screen, to mouse clicking and watching the screen.

This^
I think this is completely understood and everyone is agreeing with you. including RS, hence the fix. Speaking for myself, any other points in this thread were talking about mouse users specifically.

joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

Aquila wrote:
14 Sep 2021
hmm I guess I'll still wait anyway. I wish I could trial V12, but all they have is the 7 day R+ trial which I already used :(
Reason still has the demo mode. The 7 day trial is for full access to everything as if you own it. Demo mode is the same as before—you can't open saved projects, you can't export audio, and you can't use additional REs from your account, but you can play with everything else.

Aquila

14 Sep 2021

Oh that's interesting, thanks! Is it me or is that detail not really made clear on the RS site?

joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

Aquila wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Oh that's interesting, thanks! Is it me or is that detail not really made clear on the RS site?
I'm not sure, I haven't really looked.

It's the same as it's always been though. You have the option to run in demo mode when you start Reason if it is not authorized or your choose it instead of online authorization.

So if you use the 7 day trial, when it expires, the next time you fire up Reason, you would then choose demo mode.

I think it would probably be confusing for them to advertise a trial and demo mode and have to give distinctions between the two on the website. It makes more sense IMO for people to first use the trial to get the full experience and then have the demo mode option available to fall back on as a way to still dabble with much of Reason's features. I could see many people complaining about what Reason lacks if they think the demo mode is the proper way to trial what they get with Reason+ or when purchasing Reason.

AttenuationHz

14 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
14 Sep 2021

Yeah exactly it doesn't effect you, but changes to how it currently works would effect you so you won't actually be supportive to other community members that the change has affected. Enough said! The slip up I highlighted in the quote explains everything.
That's not a "slip up". You should've bolded my last sentence as well 🙂
It wasn't highlighted because it makes no sense in the context of what it replies to, I felt again you can't or refuse to read what is being said, for whatever reasons you have. The only people I'm blaming here is RS for releasing this mess. But continue to argue about the issue while trying to silence users with opposing opinions to your own. Some part of your loyalty to Reason that thinks you are doing the right thing for RS recommending the update to people while it clearly has a lot of issue is damaging that reputation you've spent many years building as a Reason user. I know it is a difficult position to be in because of your title but you should really just keep quite about the problem people have or at the very least try to ascertain what will fix the problem. Who is representing the community for these problems brought up in the multiple threads here while testing?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
14 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021

That's not a "slip up". You should've bolded my last sentence as well 🙂
It wasn't highlighted because it makes no sense in the context of what it replies to, I felt again you can't or refuse to read what is being said, for whatever reasons you have. The only people I'm blaming here is RS for releasing this mess. But continue to argue about the issue while trying to silence users with opposing opinions to your own. Some part of your loyalty to Reason that thinks you are doing the right thing for RS recommending the update to people while it clearly has a lot of issue is damaging that reputation you've spent many years building as a Reason user. I know it is a difficult position to be in because of your title but you should really just keep quite about the problem people have or at the very least try to ascertain what will fix the problem. Who is representing the community for these problems brought up in the multiple threads here while testing?
I am not recommending the update in this thread—only providing info. I am only pointing out the changes and noting the fix while outlining what is different and demystifying what has really changed and what is possible now. I'm only providing the info.

AttenuationHz

14 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021

I am not recommending the update in this thread—only providing info. I am only pointing out the changes and noting the fix while outlining what is different and demystifying what has really changed and what is possible now. I'm only providing the info.
Would you recommend the update to users?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
14 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021

Would you recommend the update to users?
Certainly. I think users can make a decision for themselves. There is a trial and you can also run R12 in demo mode. Best way to find out is to take it for a spin.

fieldframe
RE Developer

16 Sep 2021

I noticed that the package of promo images Reason Studios has supplied retailers with includes this image:

...which includes Pattern Mutator. It's not included in Reason 12, though, right? If you go on Sweetwater, Thomann, Guitar Center, JRRShop, or any other major retailer, you see a screenshot that shows a device that I presume does not actually come with purchase.

AttenuationHz

16 Sep 2021

fieldframe wrote:
16 Sep 2021
I noticed that the package of promo images Reason Studios has supplied retailers with includes this image:

...which includes Pattern Mutator. It's not included in Reason 12, though, right? If you go on Sweetwater, Thomann, Guitar Center, JRRShop, or any other major retailer, you see a screenshot that shows a device that I presume does not actually come with purchase.
Wow, really? It is not included in r12 no.

Majestik Monkey

17 Sep 2021

MY 2 CENTS OF RS12 3 DAYS THUS FAR !!!
1/ Never gonna Hate on RS ' [ its still imho The best Modular SETUP in All Daws to Date ]
& Yes i have both Softube & Cherry Audio / 2 pac man CPU-EATING Computer DESTROYING Gobblings indeed :lol:

2/ However this Present Version ' Will not run correctly on my Machine ' in *comparison*
to How Reason 11 STILL Runs !!! ' [ ON THE VERY SAME COMPUTER :mrgreen: WITHOUT BARELY A HIC-UP ! ]

REASON 12 ISSUES I AM DEALING WITH / Freeze Framing , Crackles & Pops ? , & EVEN Major Crashes that Require a Windows Reboot ?
EG -JP's Harmonic Synthesizer? / Runs like a dream in RS11 But Crashes ever single time i try to use it in RS12 & Finally Sometimes but almost eventually
RS 12 will start INDEXING Continually as if LOOKING/SCANNING FOR PLUGGINS & it never stops Untill i REBOOT REASON ???? It also does this with the RS12 Plugin version?
I am finding myself constantly on guard as far as Building anything in 12 .....as it stands !?

i know there are tons of positives in RS12 / The graffixs , MIMIC , New Browser searching & i hear many more Updates to come/ NEEDED? '
But it's difficult to focus on them @ this point ' Stoked i BYPASSED the Price :mrgreen: Hike ' Yikes £199 ' WTF ' Lol :twisted: :twisted:

STAY POSITIVE MY RS FRIENDS ' JAMIE / MAJESTIK MONKEY From England
WILL B POSTING SUM NEW TUNES SOON / HIP HOP STUFF ' OR YEAHHHH
Last edited by Majestik Monkey on 17 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

SoundObjects

17 Sep 2021

Just bought R12 update (from Thomann) today and it seems to work well.

Before the update I was checking the CPU in the performance monitor
running a ongoing project and using the RRP i BitWig.

Now after the update and running the same project, it seems that it using a little less CPU :o

Have any other noticed a actual performance improvement ?
The Universe Is Vibrating

joeyluck

17 Sep 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
17 Sep 2021
Just bought R12 update (from Thomann) today and it seems to work well.

Before the update I was checking the CPU in the performance monitor
running a ongoing project and using the RRP i BitWig.

Now after the update and running the same project, it seems that it using a little less CPU :o

Have any other noticed a actual performance improvement ?
It has definitely been mixed experiences, but of course the haters want to assume and try to make fact that it's worse performance for everybody. It's unfortunate, but with everybody's different systems and different plugins, it can be challenging. It's good that RS has acknowledged it and is working on it. Hopefully those people with bad performance are actually reporting it.

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
17 Sep 2021
It has definitely been mixed experiences, but of course the haters want to assume and try to make fact that it's worse performance for everybody. It's unfortunate, but with everybody's different systems and different plugins, it can be challenging. It's good that RS has acknowledged it and is working on it. Hopefully those people with bad performance are actually reporting it.
Yeah, ... seemed to work fine on my machine. I do remember a few CPU spikes but can't remember if that was R12 or some other DAW, or even if it was just some plugin that does that no matter the DAW (pretty sure I tried it elsewhere).

With GPU rendering involved, there are a lot more variables to consider and a few ways to get things wrong.

Tenbrink

17 Sep 2021

Not sure if I am allowed to say anything regarding the beta here? 12.2.1 beta is available and it has affected performance but I don't want to say which way unless it's ok, without going into details?

AttenuationHz

17 Sep 2021

Tenbrink wrote:
17 Sep 2021
Not sure if I am allowed to say anything regarding the beta here? 12.2.1 beta is available and it has affected performance but I don't want to say which way unless it's ok, without going into details?
Are you running the logging version by any chance? It will always have performance issues, due to the nature of "logging"

Tenbrink

17 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Sep 2021
Are you running the logging version by any chance? It will always have performance issues, due to the nature of "logging"
Maybe I should've mentioned that I am one of those already having performance issues in 12.2.0, where VST's either crash Reason or their GUI's completely freeze. I don't want to say if 12.2.1 beta has fixed it or not unless it's ok? I might break something in the license agreement.

Proboscis

17 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Aquila wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Reason still has the demo mode. The 7 day trial is for full access to everything as if you own it. Demo mode is the same as before—you can't open saved projects, you can't export audio, and you can't use additional REs from your account, but you can play with everything else.
Oh GREAT :thumbs_up:

This has been unclear to me, and since I don't trial anything unless I have an express intention to buy, I've refrained from taking a look at Reason12.

With the info you have just shared, I can check out the only thing that's of interest to me, the Combinator2. I'm more than happy to play around in Demo mode, knowing that there's no time limit

Proboscis

18 Sep 2021

Ok, the OP is "Reason 12 has arrived"

My first impressions - there's nothing to float my boat apart from the Combinator2.

Mimic, to me. is mostly a 'Gimmick'. Not to my taste. Value proposition for me is $zero. There are more powerful free/cheap sampler VSTs that render this new toy to be of questionable value as a key upgrade addition to a flagship product (ie Reason as a DAW/Plugin)

The HD GUI (hardly a 'new feature', but a catch-up to every other DAW on the market) is badly implemented. My left-side browser pop-out titles look WORSE at 100%. Not paying $129/$199 for WORSE user experience.

And overall 'zooming' to enjoy the rack's HD .... WTF ?! No dynamic control with alt+wheel, but a menu-dive to modify. This feels like a very 1995 implementation. Not a user-friendly experience.

As for the Combinator2:

Default Backdrop color pallete seemed like a given for years. But when RS (finally) create the feature, they utilize an entirely different color pallet to the track/channel color pallete. Such a nonsensical design decision.

The Add controls/switch/wheels etc - the 'containers' of each element don't 'snap' to the same top-horizontal position. I understand a lack of congruency between graphical assets, but this is just plain sloppy.

plaamook

18 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
17 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021

Oh GREAT :thumbs_up:

This has been unclear to me, and since I don't trial anything unless I have an express intention to buy, I've refrained from taking a look at Reason12.

With the info you have just shared, I can check out the only thing that's of interest to me, the Combinator2. I'm more than happy to play around in Demo mode, knowing that there's no time limit
What about using Vsts in demo mode?
As it’s likely that vsts can cause problems I’d def want to check that. Re’s I’m not so worried about.

Also, and I’m sorry if this has been answered but, can you install 12 along side 11? I’m assuming so.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information