Opening R7 files in R12 strong mixing difference issue [SOLVED]

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
moofi

14 Sep 2021

I just got the Reasonupgrade from version 7 to 12.
Now, when I open files in Reason 12 I´ve been working on in Reason 7, especially the mix is out of order EQ-/volume- and possibly otherwise.
There is also often a delayed signaloutput on one channel with MIDI-playback.
The intensity of the differences varies from song to song, then both versions are identical pretty often aswell.

Before going into deeper exploration I felt like asking here, if someone had similar experiences.
One song I checked a little already turned out to have a delay on the midi-track channel because of a mid/sid router being used on in the chain, which didn´t cause any noticable delay in R7 whatsoever though, yet in 12 , so I thought it might be possible it has something to do with the delay compensation. Also because there was an improvement with DC being turned on, yet not enough. Then could DC´s mere presence be causing at least this offset effect?
I really don´t know.

I attached two mp3-files for comparison where it has been the most extreme so far, yet I get an http-error after uploading and they wouldn´t show in the preview anymore.
Last edited by moofi on 14 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

marcuswitt

14 Sep 2021

moofi wrote:
14 Sep 2021
I just got the Reasonupgrade from version 7 to 12.
Now, when I open files in Reason 12 I´ve been working on in Reason 7, especially the mix is out of order EQ-/volume- and possibly otherwise.
There is also often a delayed signaloutput on one channel with MIDI-playback.
The intensity of the differences varies from song to song, then both versions are identical pretty often aswell.

Before going into deeper exploration I felt like asking here, if someone had similar experiences.
One song I checked a little already turned out to have a delay on the midi-track channel because of a mid/sid router being used on in the chain, which didn´t cause any noticable delay in R7 whatsoever though, yet in 12 , so I thought it might be possible it has something to do with the delay compensation. Also because there was an improvement with DC being turned on, yet not enough. Then could DC´s mere presence be causing at least this offset effect?
I really don´t know.

I attached two mp3-files for comparison where it has been the most extreme so far, yet I get an http-error after uploading and they wouldn´t show in the preview anymore.
Hi moofi,

based on what you've written, I think the main reason for the differences you have described may be that the latency compensation in R12 comes into play, as you yourself have already correctly mentioned. It is therefore quite possible, or even very likely, that the latency compensation is precisely responsible for those tonal differences. But I'm just guessing here.

moofi

14 Sep 2021

marcuswitt wrote:
14 Sep 2021

Hi moofi,

based on what you've written, I think the main reason for the differences you have described may be that the latency compensation in R12 comes into play, as you yourself have already correctly mentioned. It is therefore quite possible, or even very likely, that the latency compensation is precisely responsible for those tonal differences. But I'm just guessing here.
That´s my best guess aswell. Then I find it fitting for the delayed output issue, yet not really fitting for causing the mixing´to be off.

Edit: + hey Marcus :-)

moofi

14 Sep 2021

So here are the two comparison files:

R7:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... ope_R7.mp3

R12:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... pe_R12.mp3

Speaking of discord, is there a discord server for Reasontalk?
If not, it could be an interesting possibility to have a place to chat, talk and stream on an immediate level.
Even teaching/ direct interaction for fixing issues are possible due to the implemented streaming function.

joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

Delay compensation was added in 9.5.

So do you have it enabled in R12? If so, you'll want to disable it to see if that makes a difference. It's a button in the bottom right of the transport.

ReasonTalk has a Slack channel. I don't think the join link works as it used to... it used to be an access request before Slack changed the way people join. But if you use Slack, I can add you if you send me a PM with your email address.

moofi

14 Sep 2021

Yes, like mentioned, I did turn DC on and off and it often makes it even worse when being turned off.

Regarding slack, I don´t know, first time I hear about it, then discord offers easy chatting, streaming, fileupload (up to 8 MB) for free with easy access. Basically everyone can join without having to be approved by someone. Discord aswell has the advantage of being already widely spread and well known. Though I guess most people use it for gaming + delivering twitch streamers their interactive community hub, it could greatly be put to use to accompany this forum, as from my expereience discord already is and even more so becomes a social network on an interactive server basis. Have been using it quite a lot in combination with gaming + joining twitch streamers´ communities. It´s open here most of the time anyway, so instant interaction is possible.

selig
RE Developer

14 Sep 2021

What about the Prefs setting "Render audio using audio card buffer size setting"?
This can mess with timing and such…which ever way it is set, try it the other way and let us know if it helps.
Selig Audio, LLC

moofi

14 Sep 2021

That solved it :D Thank you very much :-)

LET`S GOOO :D

I had it on max buffersize for perfomance reasons because I currently merely have an onboard audiointerface.
Setting it to 768 samples fixed it.

selig wrote:
14 Sep 2021
What about the Prefs setting "Render audio using audio card buffer size setting"?
This can mess with timing and such…which ever way it is set, try it the other way and let us know if it helps.

• Information