POLL: VST3 or QOL Priority? What would you have rather seen first?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What would you have rather seen first?

Poll ended at 14 Sep 2021

1 - VST 3 Please!
19%
2 - I'm good with VST 2.4 for now. Give me some Quality of Life workflow enhancements - Track Folders, Midi Comp/New Lane/Markers/Freeze etc first!
81%

Total votes: 122
jjrh

14 Sep 2021

I'd be okay with VST2 supporting midi in/out, but really VST3 would be fantastic due to the number of free/opensource plugins that are VST3 only. Unless we get a complete overhaul/rethink of reason as a DAW I can't imagine any quality of life improvement really making a bigger difference than opening up the world of VST3 / midi vst2.

Combinator was the biggest quality of life improvement for me (though it would be really nice to have a rotary/button selector for choosing between a set of options and the programming window to be larger and support copy/paste)

QVprod

14 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
14 Sep 2021
QVprod wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Think I'm in the minority, but I'd equate VST3 to be QOL. It's not really a feature but rather an improvement.
more like a necessity, if they want to keep having a DAW. so, good news in that sense, I guess.
adfielding wrote:
14 Sep 2021
QVprod wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Think I'm in the minority, but I'd equate VST3 to be QOL. It's not really a feature but rather an improvement.
Ditto. I'd take other QoL improvements over VST3 support for purely selfish reasons - but VST3 support is only going to become a larger issue as time goes by, so I totally understand the drive to get it in there now.
Agreed, definitely necessary with VST2 ending. But it'll be a few years before we really notice the switch on a large scale. Happy for those with VST3 only plugins, they'll finally be able to use them in Reason without a wrapper. I've been switching to using the VST3 versions of plugins where possible in the last year. Wouldn't mind not having to have multiple versions installed at some point n the future.

Carpainter

14 Sep 2021

jjrh wrote:
14 Sep 2021
I'd be okay with VST2 supporting midi in/out, but really VST3 would be fantastic due to the number of free/opensource plugins that are VST3 only.
Yeah, this is a big deal for me because two of the best open source synths (Surge and Odin2) are VST3-only. Reason and Max are the only pieces of commercial software I use anymore. Everything else I use is freeware/open source.

stratatonic

08 Jun 2022

tiker01 wrote:
14 Sep 2021
I think it both are necessary and can be developed in parallel. Small improvements are something the Dev team can work on besides the introduction of VST3 support.
I like your way of thinking! :) Maybe RS secretly care and ARE working on BOTH in a update to R12 later this year. The mind boggles.

ltbrunt00

09 Jun 2022

I missed this poll but I need VST 3 first. over the last six months many of the VSTs I have purchased are VST3, didn't pay attention when I purchased these at the time. Would have purchased them anyway since they were on discount. Quality of life improvements are going to drop when the Props are ready to release. I'm certain they general improvements and when to release them were planned long ago. VST 3 probably requires more work at the moment.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

zoidkirb

09 Jun 2022

The answer should be vst3 AND qol. But because Props are half daw/synth company, we got a bass line generator and a vocoder instead.

And as far as midi output in vst3 goes, I wouldn't get too excited as Steinberg apparently made it even more complicated and hard to implement correctly with vst3

dvdrtldg

09 Jun 2022

I know this isn't everyone's #1 concern, but native Mac M1 compatibility would significantly improve my quality of life

wereMole88

10 Jun 2022

Offline Reason+ authorization! I dont like that I cannot use everything I got with that in a live setting.

Grimlucky

10 Jun 2022

I’m hoping some of these hit R12 as an update and aren’t new features for a paid upgrade to R13 when it comes out.

DJMaytag

10 Jun 2022

Hi-rez graphics and VST3 are the future for Reason, so it makes sense to knock those out for R12. QOL is likely going to be an R13 thing, like it or not.

hamsterfactor

10 Jun 2022

is it just me not sharing the enthusiasm that VST3 will make R12? :?
DJMaytag wrote:
10 Jun 2022
Hi-rez graphics and VST3 are the future for Reason, so it makes sense to knock those out for R12. QOL is likely going to be an R13 thing, like it or not.
:reason: Suite 11  |  :reason: 12 perpetual license  |  :re::refill: |  macOS Ventura  |  Mac Studio M1 Max

Billy+

10 Jun 2022

hamsterfactor wrote:
10 Jun 2022
is it just me not sharing the enthusiasm that VST3 will make R12? :?
DJMaytag wrote:
10 Jun 2022
Can't say I'm that interested atm, everything I have is 2.4 so 3 adds nothing. (Needs doing / should have been done last year or the year before) but doesn't necessarily add anything of interest for me.

DJMaytag

10 Jun 2022

They’ve said they have R12 VST3 working in-house at RS, so I’d be surprised if they didn’t release it for R12.

I don’t really care either way about VST3. If it helps cut down on CPU usage when silence is detected, then that’s awesome. Other than that, everything I have works fine as VST2.x.

Billy+

10 Jun 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
10 Jun 2022
They’ve said they have R12 VST3 working in-house at RS, so I’d be surprised if they didn’t release it for R12.

I don’t really care either way about VST3. If it helps cut down on CPU usage when silence is detected, then that’s awesome. Other than that, everything I have works fine as VST2.x.
Vst3 is definitely going to be in R12 possibly close to December

but is vst midi going to be in there and will it work with 2.4 devices?

DJMaytag

10 Jun 2022

I wouldn’t be surprised if VST MIDI out isn’t in their VST3 implementation in R12. I am basing that on absolutely nothing, FWIW.

Grimlucky

10 Jun 2022

The midi out implementation will be interesting, whether it would be a player type wrapper for VSTs or if they go with something like a CV option.

Billy+

10 Jun 2022

I was thinking just plane old pass through to the device below with maybe the option for sending to the advanced midi interface ;)

Can't believe it's taken so long.....

RoryM0

11 Jun 2022

Grimlucky wrote:
10 Jun 2022
The midi out implementation will be interesting, whether it would be a player type wrapper for VSTs or if they go with something like a CV option.
Yes defo. I'm wondering if they actually don't go with a cable option on the back and instead have a dropdown menu with assignment options for send/receive midi.

Grimlucky

11 Jun 2022

RoryM0 wrote:
11 Jun 2022
Grimlucky wrote:
10 Jun 2022
Yes defo. I'm wondering if they actually don't go with a cable option on the back and instead have a dropdown menu with assignment options for send/receive midi.
Would be good, send to anywhere in the rack, it would also be great to select the midi channel for VSTs with multichannel output.

• Information