Dr. Octo Rex with Ableton

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
Jimi Pain

13 Sep 2021

Hi. I'm trying to use Dr. Octo Rex from the Reason Rack Plugin to have loops play on my Ableton Live timeline. While I can drag MIDI notes from one of the 8 loops in Dr Octo Rex onto the timeline and have it play properly, if I drag notes from a different loop onto the timeline, it doesn't know to switch from one loop to the other. It simply continues to trigger the first loop with the note layout from the second loop. The result is a useless sonic mess.

Is there any way of having Ableton tell Dr. Octo Rex to switch from one loop to another at the appropriate moment? I have already tried the technique of using the MIDI out module attached to Dr Octo Rex but it didn't record anything in Ableton, it didn't spit out any notes or program changes. I have not been able to find an answer to this anywhere. Thanks.

DaveyG

14 Sep 2021

Sending the 8 keys from E0 upwards will select a loop in Octorex. If "Enable Loop Playback" is on then the loop will play immediately, otherwise it will just select it.

Jimi Pain

27 Sep 2021

DaveyG wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Sending the 8 keys from E0 upwards will select a loop in Octorex. If "Enable Loop Playback" is on then the loop will play immediately, otherwise it will just select it.
Thanks DaveyG for the tip, however I was not able to select loops with any keys from the keyboard. If I press keys on the keyboard all it does is to play separate fragments from whatever loop is selected, whether "Enable Loop Playback" is selected or not.

Jimi Pain

27 Sep 2021

visheshl wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Automate the loop select parameter.
Thanks Visheshl . I was finally able to get Ableton to record the manual changes that I made on Dr. Rex (by clicking the loop selector in real time... not sure why it wouldn't record them before) but the loop select (parameter 1030) keyframes on the timeline are pretty ragged. Is there a way to quantize automation keyframes en masse after the fact? With MIDI notes you can select them all and quantize everything to a given value but there doesn't seem to be the same option with automation keyframes. I'd like all the changes to happen right on the bar.

DaveyG

27 Sep 2021

Jimi Pain wrote:
27 Sep 2021
DaveyG wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Thanks DaveyG for the tip, however I was not able to select loops with any keys from the keyboard. If I press keys on the keyboard all it does is to play separate fragments from whatever loop is selected, whether "Enable Loop Playback" is selected or not.
Your keyboard needs shifting down a few octaves so you can get to the E0 note. Most keyboards have an octave shift function.

• Information