DR Rex as DJ player(help feature Request)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Mattvank

13 Sep 2021

Hello,

I really like DR Rex for such Techno Dj´thing but i miss something. Maybe, there is a workarround you can help me.
1. To less outputs with VCA Gain.
I really would like to see more Slice to FX options. 4 is good of course but the Libary in Reason allows so much more. And the Sliced output should be gained. Why?
2. After making totaly chaos in the rex player with a lot of fx on different slices i like to see a reset. At the moment you get just an empty Rexplayer.

Have you any ideas how to improve?

artotaku

13 Sep 2021

Mattvank wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Hello,

I really like DR Rex for such Techno Dj´thing but i miss something. Maybe, there is a workarround you can help me.
1. To less outputs with VCA Gain.
I really would like to see more Slice to FX options. 4 is good of course but the Libary in Reason allows so much more. And the Sliced output should be gained. Why?
2. After making totaly chaos in the rex player with a lot of fx on different slices i like to see a reset. At the moment you get just an empty Rexplayer.

Have you any ideas how to improve?
Do you mean Dr. Rex (the old device) or Dr. Octorex? Can you elaborate a bit more what you mean by Slice to FX and where it is limited to 4? This sounds a bit like you mean the old Dr. Rex device?

Mattvank

14 Sep 2021

No i mean the last one Dr. Octorex.
You can set each slice to different outputs(beneath the panel right). At the moment i send all outputs to the mixeaur 14:2. 4FX sends are on it.
After a while you can´t remember where you send the slice to fx/mixer) to bring back the orginal loop.
First idea was to setup something like a Quad VCA to turn down the fx level in summary which goes from slice out to mixersend in.

artotaku

14 Sep 2021

Mattvank wrote:
14 Sep 2021
No i mean the last one Dr. Octorex.
You can set each slice to different outputs(beneath the panel right). At the moment i send all outputs to the mixeaur 14:2. 4FX sends are on it.
After a while you can´t remember where you send the slice to fx/mixer) to bring back the orginal loop.
First idea was to setup something like a Quad VCA to turn down the fx level in summary which goes from slice out to mixersend in.
One little trick to have more slices to different outputs is to hard pan a slice to hard left (-63) and route it e. g. to 1-2. Then take another slice and hard pan it to the right (+63) and route it to same outupt (1-2). Then you can connect audio out to mixer channel 1 (left) and
2 (left). With this trick you come to 10 audio outs. Downside is that the slices are then mono but for drums it might not be of a big issue.

You cannot reset all of the slice edits, there is no remotable item for that, unfortunately. You can reload the patch but this may sound awkward since there is a delay.

Either you have to do this in the mixer 14-2 or you copy the same loop to another slot and switch between these two slots. So one slot is your temporary "dirty" loop and the other slot is the clean loop one. Switching slots can be done with keyboard keys.

Another idea is to use two Dr. Octorex that have the same loop and put them in a combinator. Then assign combinator rotaries and buttons to both of them. That way you can control the general parameters of both loops with the same rotaries while still be able to make the slices of one loop dirty use the other Dr. Octorex as your clean loop where you always can switch back (kill switch).

• Information