Reason 12 has arrived

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Eusantis

13 Sep 2021

Well, I've been using Reason 12 for a few days, and I can hardly see any difference from 11. Okay, more resolution. A sampler that I hardly use, because I use samplers very little, although there maybe I should get more with this one. The new combinator, at the moment of truth, I hardly use it, because I don´t like to spend more time preparing a super mega instrument than playing and producing. In summary, for me Reason 12 has not represented practically any advance with respect to 11. Although yes, I am doing a very cool new song. But come on, it could have done the same with Reason 11.
And in conclusion, well ... for me this is one of the worst updates to Reason, because of how little it offers.

gullum

13 Sep 2021

Eusantis wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Well, I've been using Reason 12 for a few days, and I can hardly see any difference from 11. Okay, more resolution. A sampler that I hardly use, because I use samplers very little, although there maybe I should get more with this one. The new combinator, at the moment of truth, I hardly use it, because I don´t like to spend more time preparing a super mega instrument than playing and producing. In summary, for me Reason 12 has not represented practically any advance with respect to 11. Although yes, I am doing a very cool new song. But come on, it could have done the same with Reason 11.
And in conclusion, well ... for me this is one of the worst updates to Reason, because of how little it offers.
Absolutely agree I went for the early access 12+ trap and thought well it be much the same as 11 so I just saved my projects in 12 because I wanted the hi res well my eyes are not the same as 10 years ago. only to find out that combinator means no more insert controls so my 10 year of mapping not working anymore like it used to I know the controls are promised to come back, but when. After they added VST3 in January? in Reason 13. I can't go back to 11 because most of my projects are saved in 12

MixerJaexx

13 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
13 Sep 2021
I know the controls are promised to come back
Regarding the insert and mastering controls being missing from hardware mixers currently, Reason Studios is apparently working to add “ordering” for remote support. A big misconception is that this means insert and mastering controls for my free mixer interfaces will start working again once they do that.

They won’t. They’re two separate things (as I think Gullum, AttenuationHz or others pointed out). The talk about Reason Studios actively working to restore the insert controls from the mixer are likely from a GUI perspective, not remote map. The Combinator remote map fix talks is likely about ordering of controls from a hardware universal controller, not from a hardware mixer. As others have correctly pointed out, controlling a device in the Reason rack is different from controlling the virtual SSL mixer of Reason and they cannot coexist the way the remote protocol works currently.

In case someone at Reason Studios is listening, in order to fix Reason 12 so my existing mixer interfaces can continue working (or make it possible for me to update them), three things to be done:
  1. The mixer inserts needs to be restored via the on-screen mixer for mouse control
  2. The remote protocol has to restore (or recreate) controls
  3. Remote control ordering needs to be implemented in the creation of Combinator 2 patches to support traditional 4 rotaries & 4 buttons
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

AttenuationHz

13 Sep 2021

MixerJaexx wrote:
13 Sep 2021
gullum wrote:
13 Sep 2021
I know the controls are promised to come back
Regarding the insert and mastering controls being missing from hardware mixers currently, Reason Studios is apparently working to add “ordering” for remote support. A big misconception is that this means insert and mastering controls for my free mixer interfaces will start working again once they do that.

They won’t. They’re two separate things (as I think Gullum, AttenuationHz or others pointed out). The talk about Reason Studios actively working to restore the insert controls from the mixer are likely from a GUI perspective, not remote map. The Combinator remote map fix talks is likely about ordering of controls from a hardware universal controller, not from a hardware mixer. As others have correctly pointed out, controlling a device in the Reason rack is different from controlling the virtual SSL mixer of Reason and they cannot coexist the way the remote protocol works currently.

In case someone at Reason Studios is listening, in order to fix Reason 12 so my existing mixer interfaces can continue working (or make it possible for me to update them), three things to be done:
  1. The mixer inserts needs to be restored via the on-screen mixer for mouse control
  2. The remote protocol has to restore (or recreate) controls
  3. Remote control ordering needs to be implemented in the creation of Combinator 2 patches to support traditional 4 rotaries & 4 buttons
They pulled the rug out from underneath everyone with the removal.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Aquila

13 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021

Not sure about everyone per se, but at least those of use who heavily relied on the feature.

joeyluck

13 Sep 2021

MixerJaexx wrote:
13 Sep 2021

They won’t. They’re two separate things (as I think Gullum, AttenuationHz or others pointed out). The talk about Reason Studios actively working to restore the insert controls from the mixer are likely from a GUI perspective, not remote map.
I think you're talking about two different things?

I think the Remote ordering you're talking about is the feature of the Combinator. This will be so that the order in the panel element list will be the order of the mappings.

Remote function for the previous insert controls will work similarly to how automation works now. Load a project in which you automated those controls before. You'll notice your combinator patch is loaded in the insert and the automation is carried over to those controls. When remote support is fixed, those mappings will carry over to rotary 1-4 and button 1-4 of the first combi on the insert.

Hope that helps explain it.

AttenuationHz

13 Sep 2021

Aquila wrote:
13 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021

Not sure about everyone per se, but at least those of use who heavily relied on the feature.
It doesn't only affect Reason users and I don't believe it is a small number of Reason users, if you are thinking of buying controller in the near future those plans will now change. Just because affected users are not here being vocal about the removal doesn't mean they're not affected. Nobody can say for certain how many users are affected by the removal but it is logical to assume that they were waiting to see what was in R12. Now going forward not in future releases - that level of trust has now disintegrated. From a business stand point it is a massive issue. Midi controller manufactures are probably scratching their heads to the removal also and wondering what to do next, most likely how to realign their products and sale projections. So yes everyone affected from the removal had the rug pulled out from underneath them.
It is comparable to losing a limb, for me anyway.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

joeyluck

13 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Aquila wrote:
13 Sep 2021

It doesn't only affect Reason users and I don't believe it is a small number of Reason users, if you are thinking of buying controller in the near future those plans will now change. Just because affected users are not here being vocal about the removal doesn't mean they're not affected. Nobody can say for certain how many users are affected by the removal but it is logical to assume that they were waiting to see what was in R12. Now going forward not in future releases - that level of trust has now disintegrated. From a business stand point it is a massive issue. Midi controller manufactures are probably scratching their heads to the removal also and wondering what to do next, most likely how to realign their products and sale projections. So yes everyone affected from the removal had the rug pulled out from underneath them.
As described above, Remote functionality is being fixed in similar fashion as automation is working now, so that previous mappings are not broken.

AttenuationHz

13 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021

As described above, Remote functionality is being fixed in similar fashion as automation is working now, so that previous mappings are not broken.
I really don't want to get into this again but they were not broken previously. The argument of the combinators were broken is a complete fallacy, that's what should have been fixed instead of pulling the rug out from underneath users and trying to fix an issue which was created by the removal of the Mix Channel's Combinator.

joeyluck

13 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
13 Sep 2021

I really don't want to get into this again but they were not broken previously. The argument of the combinators were broken is a complete fallacy, that's what should have been fixed instead of pulling the rug out from underneath users and trying to fix an issue which was created by the removal of the Mix Channel's Combinator.
Well regardless of the number of users who are unaffected, they have listened and were quickly on top of it.

They had at least made sure that automation wasn't broken for release so that projects are unaffected, and now they are doing the same for those who want previous remote maps to continue working for those 4x4 controls. I think they also might be trying to leave options open. There's a lot to consider with the new powerful setup and where it can go.

AttenuationHz

13 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021

Well regardless of the number of users who are unaffected, they have listened and were quickly on top of it.

They had at least made sure that automation wasn't broken for release so that projects are unaffected, and now they are doing the same for those who want previous remote maps to continue working for those 4x4 controls. I think they also might be trying to leave options open. There's a lot to consider with the new powerful setup and where it can go.
How quick they're on top of it is irrelevant it made it into a release, the damage is done. One could argue there was a lot unconsidered. I've seen no one doubting how powerful it has the potential to be, the implementation should have been thought on more and more importantly given more time because the scope of it is vast and it is far from being at its full potential, also with regards to testers. I'd love to know how many were new users on subscription because that has to have had an impact on the state of this release.

The damn thing doesn't even work properly with some programming and I've said this before why keep the limit on how many parameters are visible if you're adding even more controls that can be mapped and programmed?! You can't remap the parameters that are not visible so it not as powerful as you think, without those limits either being able to be reprogrammed at the parameter level or increased so everything is visible it is a long way from being at full potential. Is it impressive, of course it is. That is not the issue. The issue is, among other things, a feature which was used and very useful is now removed and can no longer be used, that feature also had the potential to make the new combinator more powerful.

MixerJaexx

13 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Remote function for the previous insert controls will work similarly to how automation works now. Load a project in which you automated those controls before. You'll notice your combinator patch is loaded in the insert and the automation is carried over to those controls. When remote support is fixed, those mappings will carry over to rotary 1-4 and button 1-4 of the first combi on the insert.
I created a separate topic titled “Information regarding the Reason 12 remote mixer hardware” or something (can only see part of my post title) where I elaborated on what I said with additional information including images of the mixer interface. I hoped it would explain to people using my stuff contacting me via email why things weren’t working. But my post was deleted with no explanation.

Addressin’ what I quoted, that ins’t explaining the situation I already outlined and I already elaborated in my deleted post.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

joeyluck

13 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
13 Sep 2021

How quick they're on top of it is irrelevant it made it into a release, the damage is done. One could argue there was a lot unconsidered. I've seen no one doubting how powerful it has the potential to be, the implementation should have been thought on more and more importantly given more time because the scope of it is vast and it is far from being at its full potential, also with regards to testers. I'd love to know how many were new users on subscription because that has to have had an impact on the state of this release.

The damn thing doesn't even work properly with some programming and I've said this before why keep the limit on how many parameters are visible if you're adding even more controls that can be mapped and programmed?! You can't remap the parameters that are not visible so it not as powerful as you think, without those limits either being able to be reprogrammed at the parameter level or increased so everything is visible it is a long way from being at full potential. Is it impressive, of course it is. That is not the issue. The issue is, among other things, a feature which was used and very useful is now removed and can no longer be used, that feature also had the potential to make the new combinator more powerful.
You will be able remap them, because like automation now, they are directed to the first 4 rotaries and 4 buttons of the first combi in the insert. So you would make that change from the combinator. If I'm misunderstanding, I guess we'll just have to wait for the update currently being tested to be released.

The change along with the new combi was tested first by test pilots, most of which have been using Reason forever, and then all of the beta testers. I don't know the stats of all testers. I feel like most who applied for beta were testing. While most seemed unaffected by the change, there were some who had concerns about the macros being removed, but it was mostly Remote related.

joeyluck

13 Sep 2021

MixerJaexx wrote:
13 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
13 Sep 2021
I created a separate topic titled “Information regarding the Reason 12 remote mixer hardware” or something (can only see part of my post title) where I elaborated on what I said with additional information including images of the mixer interface. I hoped it would explain to people using my stuff contacting me via email why things weren’t working. But my post was deleted with no explanation.

Addressin’ what I quoted, that ins’t explaining the situation I already outlined and I already elaborated in my deleted post.
Looks like it was removed because it was a duplicate (the same post you made here).

Remote is being fixed so old maps will work. Some of us are testing it and given permission to share that info.

You said, "The talk about Reason Studios actively working to restore the insert controls from the mixer are likely from a GUI perspective, not remote map."

It is about Remote and not GUI. What do you mean?

Aquila

14 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Sep 2021

I think I mentioned before, I'm still dubious about how well this upcoming fix is going to restore remote functionality.

Really happy to be proven wrong though. In fact, I want to be proven wrong. My decision to upgrade now rests entirely on the outcome of this fix.

joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

Aquila wrote:
14 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
13 Sep 2021

I think I mentioned before, I'm still dubious about how well this upcoming fix is going to restore remote functionality.

Really happy to be proven wrong though. In fact, I want to be proven wrong. My decision to upgrade now rests entirely on the outcome of this fix.
Are you using R12 now? It will work similarly to how automation for those controls works now.

AttenuationHz

14 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021

You will be able remap them, because like automation now, they are directed to the first 4 rotaries and 4 buttons of the first combi in the insert. So you would make that change from the combinator. If I'm misunderstanding, I guess we'll just have to wait for the update currently being tested to be released.

The change along with the new combi was tested first by test pilots, most of which have been using Reason forever, and then all of the beta testers. I don't know the stats of all testers. I feel like most who applied for beta were testing. While most seemed unaffected by the change, there were some who had concerns about the macros being removed, but it was mostly Remote related.
Yep completely misunderstanding. All device's have limits on how many parameters can be shown to a combinator, without these parameters being able to be reassigned or the limits increased all the added buttons and customisations to the new combinator make little sense because the limits on the combinator are still in place. That's the first change that should have been done under the hood for Reason to accommodate all the devices that have missing parameters where users will now most likely try to program those because the amount of buttons/knobs has increased on the combinator.

It was a rhetorical question, you don't know the statistics of testers so you shouldn't even try to answer it, "non-testers" that happen to be "testing" won't be reporting bugs. In all likelihood all the wrong people are testing an update, just like all the wrong people tested a release. I'm going to got out on a limb and say all the people who had concerns about the changes and reported them have had those tickets marked as "solved". There was some who objected to the changes, yet they still ploughed ahead with the release... That says a hell of a lot and does very little for the morale of testers.

joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
14 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
13 Sep 2021

Yep completely misunderstanding. All device's have limits on how many parameters can be shown to a combinator, without these parameters being able to be reassigned or the limits increased all the added buttons and customisations to the new combinator make little sense because the limits on the combinator are still in place. That's the first change that should have been done under the hood for Reason to accommodate all the devices that have missing parameters where users will now most likely try to program those because the amount of buttons/knobs has increased on the combinator.

It was a rhetorical question, you don't know the statistics of testers so you shouldn't even try to answer it, "non-testers" that happen to be "testing" won't be reporting bugs. In all likelihood all the wrong people are testing an update, just like all the wrong people tested a release. I'm going to got out on a limb and say all the people who had concerns about the changes and reported them have had those tickets marked as "solved". There was some who objected to the changes, yet they still ploughed ahead with the release... That says a hell of a lot and does very little for the morale of testers.
All I know is a fix is on the way so that existing Remote maps will continue to work. Just like automation, those mappings will carry over to rotary 1-4 and button 1-4 of the first Combinator in the insert. Users can then reorder controls as a means to reprogram for Remote. The main focus for that fix is on maintaining existing Remote maps. As far as something for the future involving taking advantage of the more powerful setup, I understand that they are keeping an open mind and taking everything into consideration. It was not something marked as "solved", but was ongoing. Testing for the Remote fix began on September 1, so it's something they planned / perhaps based off of tester feedback.

AttenuationHz

14 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
14 Sep 2021

All I know is a fix is on the way so that existing Remote maps will continue to work. Just like automation, those mappings will carry over to rotary 1-4 and button 1-4 of the first Combinator in the insert. Users can then reorder controls as a means to reprogram for Remote. The main focus for that fix is on maintaining existing Remote maps. As far as something for the future involving taking advantage of the more powerful setup, I understand that they are keeping an open mind and taking everything into consideration. It was not something marked as "solved", but was ongoing. Testing for the Remote fix began on September 1, so it's something they planned / perhaps based off of tester feedback.
You seem to be repeating yourself as if a patch will be a redeeming factor, it won't be. The whole release shouldn't have happened, too early - not ready, not even close and that is considering all the other issue's too. There wouldn't need to be a remote fix if they left the combinator on the Mix Channel, end of story! Why does that logic not make sense to you.

I would fully agree with the OP in this thread the Mix Channel needs to be restored as it was, it is the only fix that needs to be considered. You really don't need combinators in inserts either way as it is literally just a container now - where you use it as a container then that should be something that should be looked into by adding a container for many combinators. Where they feel that the power horse the new combinator is should trump and replace existing features is where they have got it wrong - it shouldn't. When you need to program more things in a combinator that's where backwards compatibility comes into play; patches saved with the new - simple fix a different extension (.cmb2). If it is a thing where you want to use the combinator in the inserts of a Mix Channel then that is something that you should have had to make a choice about so it mitigates any unknown problems if any existed - so time is bought to find a fix for those unknown issues and integration goes smoothly, but a container would have been enough (a collapsible container would also be useful for other devices - and could definitely evolve to something that could be accessed on the Mixer). Everyone would be happy and the issue of time that has obviously and understandably handy-capped this release could be addressed instead of delaying things further by scrambling to find a fix for issue's that were created by the decision of ploughing on to a premature and inelegant release.

joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

I don't know their reasoning for any changes, but I happen to like it and you blame me if you want lol.

I had made the point that the macros in the insert section of the rack were hidden, having to select "show programmer" before to access them. This was in response to yet more users that didn't know you could load .cmb files into inserts via the programmer or how to access the macros from the rack.

viewtopic.php?p=551093#p551093

I was hoping for a change something like that, but then they introduced the new combinator and I was blown away since it was an even better answer that gave me endless combinators inside inserts and in turn, endless macros, which are immediately available without having to jump into a separate insert programmer.

I still feel like the only thing that is lost is the mouse control of macros from the mixer view. Everything else carries over. But now I'm using the 'edit inserts' button from the mixer, which I didn't use before, which really speeds up workflow and gives access to all the controls and macros in my insert.

I think it would be great to see an option in the future to freely assign macros in the mixer, but with Remote support being fixed and being able to simply jump to the insert rather than trying to assign 4, 10, 20 or whatever number of macros to the mixer view, it seems better to just jump to the insert IMO. But I understand that's just me and my workflow preference.

AttenuationHz

14 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021
I don't know their reasoning for any changes, but I happen to like it and you blame me if you want lol.

I had made the point that the macros in the insert section of the rack were hidden, having to select "show programmer" before to access them. This was in response to yet more users that didn't know you could load .cmb files into inserts via the programmer or how to access the macros from the rack.

I was hoping for a change something like that, but then they introduced the new combinator and I was blown away since it was an even better answer that gave me endless combinators inside inserts and in turn, endless macros, which are immediately available without having to jump into a separate insert programmer.

I still feel like the only thing that is lost is the mouse control of macros from the mixer view. Everything else carries over. But now I'm using the 'edit inserts' button from the mixer, which I didn't use before, which really speeds up workflow and gives access to all the controls and macros in my insert.

I think it would be great to see an option in the future to freely assign macros in the mixer, but with Remote support being fixed and being able to simply jump to the insert rather than trying to assign 4, 10, 20 or whatever number of macros to the mixer view, it seems better to just jump to the insert IMO. But I understand that's just me and my workflow preference.
Yeah exactly it doesn't effect you, but changes to how it currently works would effect you so you won't actually be supportive to other community members that the change has affected. Enough said! The slip up I highlighted in the quote explains everything.

joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
14 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021

Yeah exactly it doesn't effect you, but changes to how it currently works would effect you so you won't actually be supportive to other community members that the change has affected. Enough said! The slip up I highlighted in the quote explains everything.
That's not a "slip up". You should've bolded my last sentence as well 🙂

Aquila

14 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Are you using R12 now? It will work similarly to how automation for those controls works now.
Nope. V10 for now... just waiting for this debacle to get cleared first ;)

gullum

14 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021

that is what it became when they removed the remote from the inserts a need to use the mouse instead of turning a knob on the controller no need to use the mouse at all. I know we are getting the remotes back, but it seams that some of you that don't use controllers seam not to understand is that we could do stuff without using the mouse but that we can't do now be ww will again soon.
That is the issue with me and the others here that have been vocal about it. Knob control directly from the controller and no need to look at the screen, to mouse clicking and watching the screen.

but I don't understand why we are still debating this we are getting the controls back and when they are back I do not need to see them on screen because I didn't need to see them before.

joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

Aquila wrote:
14 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Nope. V10 for now... just waiting for this debacle to get cleared first ;)
Ok so that explains it. Yeah nothing to be dubious about. Just the same as automation works now, Remote will work the same.

• Information