Updating the Reason Browser

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

10 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
31 Aug 2021
stratatonic wrote:
31 Aug 2021

Thanks for taking the time to post that. :) Looks like I'm missing a few features being on v4. (That video is depressing comparing Media Explorer to the Reason Browser - and that's from the last version :( though there's still a lot of stuff that was in v4 too)
No worries.

Why don't you upgrade? I was gonna say, "isn't it free?" but you're going to a new version cycle, 4 to 5 so is there a charge? if there is knowing Reaper it'll be cheap.
I dunno, v4 did everything I needed it to, but I think it's time to finally download Reaper 6 and give it a test run. I'm afraid to look at the list of what they have done in 5 and 6...it may take me all week to read they do so much work for so few programmers! :shock:

stratatonic

10 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
10 Sep 2021
I've no idea post was from 2017...

Midi file preview in the browser would suffice.
So,
Midi file preview
Audio wave form preview/scrubber
Option to preview at project tempo
Can we lose the thumbnails as well? Or even an option to have them included - they just take up way too much space.
Tags (probably coming in the roadmap update)

Though they will likely ever work on any other browser improvements is when it is beneficial to both Standalone and Plugin.
Why waste effort for midi and audio preview when you can do it in the other DAW using RPP?

Creativemind

10 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
10 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
10 Sep 2021
I've no idea post was from 2017...

Midi file preview in the browser would suffice.
So,
Midi file preview
Can we lose the thumbnails as well? Or even an option to have them included - they just take up way too much space.

Though they will likely ever work on any other browser improvements is when it is beneficial to both Standalone and Plugin.
Why waste effort for midi and audio preview when you can do it in the other DAW using RPP?
The last one..say what?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

stratatonic

11 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
10 Sep 2021
stratatonic wrote:
10 Sep 2021

So,
Midi file preview

The last one..say what?
lol, they have a whole month (and a half) to make this browser "smart" according to the roadmap...I dunno, what do you add to this clunker to make it appear intelligent? :question:

plaamook

12 Sep 2021

Well if you could preview and scrub through audio I might actually use the browser.
As it is I tend to use finder windows anc os preview and drag n drop generally cause it’s just a way smoother way to run through samples.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

EnochLight

12 Sep 2021

plaamook wrote:
12 Sep 2021
Well if you could preview and scrub through audio I might actually use the browser.
:clap: :thumbup:

^^ This right here is a feature that I would absolutely LOVE to see in Reason's browser - just give us a scrubbable waveform like in Companion's playback or something. Would be so helpful!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Creativemind

12 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
10 Sep 2021

The last one..say what?
lol, they have a whole month (and a half) to make this browser "smart" according to the roadmap...I dunno, what do you add to this clunker to make it appear intelligent? :question:
Will it be a smart browser that's the thing or will it be the like Reason 8 advertised as a workflow update but with the exception of the browser wasn't much in terms of workflow?

plaamook

13 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
12 Sep 2021
plaamook wrote:
12 Sep 2021

^^ This right here is a feature that I would absolutely LOVE to see in Reason's browser - just give us a scrubbable waveform like in Companion's playback or something. Would be so helpful!
I can see you’re on windows but this is why I upgraded to Mojave Os. While OSX has had really slick audio preview for ages they added an optional wave form viewer to it.

The optional bit is important because it loads audio faster so if you only need to hear the samples to can flick through them quite quickly. If you need to see it you can do that.
So I’m wondering w the Reason browser how slow it will be if it loads visual wave forms for every sample by default.
I don’t have companion so I can’t check that but such a browser is likely to be quite slow unless it indexes all your sound files, right? And perhaps even if after it does.

Or here.

EnochLight

13 Sep 2021

plaamook wrote:
13 Sep 2021
I can see you’re on windows but this is why I upgraded to Mojave Os. While OSX has had really slick audio preview for ages they added an optional wave form viewer to it.

The optional bit is important because it loads audio faster so if you only need to hear the samples to can flick through them quite quickly. If you need to see it you can do that.
So I’m wondering w the Reason browser how slow it will be if it loads visual wave forms for every sample by default.
I don’t have companion so I can’t check that but such a browser is likely to be quite slow unless it indexes all your sound files, right? And perhaps even if after it does.
Once Companion loads, it is pretty much instant but it only shows one waveform at a time. Done correctly in Reason's actual browser, there's no reason (sic) why it couldn't handle it just fine, IMHO. If you go to Splice, even navigating their myriad of samples through a clunky web browser is instant.

I was on MacOS many many moons ago, but switched to Windows as I was tired of OSX updates breaking things regularly (M-1 support, I'm looking at you! And yeah, I know Rosetta does OK, but still)... I've never had software issues on Windows in the almost 15 years I've used it as my regular go-to. But once Reason gets native M-1 support, I might consider picking up a MacBook. :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Creativemind

13 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
31 Aug 2021

No worries.

Why don't you upgrade? I was gonna say, "isn't it free?" but you're going to a new version cycle, 4 to 5 so is there a charge? if there is knowing Reaper it'll be cheap.
I dunno, v4 did everything I needed it to, but I think it's time to finally download Reaper 6 and give it a test run. I'm afraid to look at the list of what they have done in 5 and 6...it may take me all week to read they do so much work for so few programmers! :shock:
Yeah you'll be adding about 100 feature's lol!

AttenuationHz

13 Sep 2021

I'd also show much love if they added a waveform preview and scrubbing feature to the browser - there's nice bit of room next to play. However the sample edit feature that is on NN-XT and Kong needs to be on the browser for audio files (right click an audio file to bring it up), within it an option to extract different samples from a waveform and export. The only current way to do this is by loading the sample on NN-XT or Kong and renaming the sample for each edit, they'll go into Song Samples. You can export/edit/duplicate/delete from here but it would be nice to be able to move any self contained samples to favourite's. Currently this can't be done you have to export and find the location then find it in the browser and add, a very long winded process. The structures for the folders should be already in place so you can tag a sample say "kicks" and it goes to your kicks folder etc, but also when you drag any self contained edits to a favourite list the shortcut should go there.

There also needs to be a preview for song files, a few bars of an mp3 stored with and while a song file is play backed (when working on it) would do the job, where you can play this as a preview instead of opening up the actual project. How many hundreds of projects has everyone accumulated that your afraid to open because of how much time it can take to see if you have anything, which was put on the back burner, that might fit with a current project.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

EnochLight

13 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021
However the sample edit feature that is on [all of Reason's samplers] needs to be on the browser for audio files (right click an audio file to bring it up), within it an option to extract different samples from a waveform and export
This would be pretty badass - I totally agree the sample editor should be accessible from the browser. :thumbup: :clap:

AttenuationHz

13 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
13 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021
However the sample edit feature that is on [all of Reason's samplers] needs to be on the browser for audio files (right click an audio file to bring it up), within it an option to extract different samples from a waveform and export
This would be pretty badass - I totally agree the sample editor should be accessible from the browser. :thumbup: :clap:
Didn't even realise it was on all, when was that added?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

EnochLight

13 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021
It's always been there - ever since sampling was added as a feature in Reason 5. Hold down ALT+click on the sample icon.

AttenuationHz

13 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
13 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021
It's always been there - ever since sampling was added as a feature in Reason 5. Hold down ALT+click on the sample icon.
rdES.png
rdES.png (46.54 KiB) Viewed 7792 times
This context menu?

EnochLight

14 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021
rdES.png

This context menu?
No, ALT+click on the sample button:

here.jpg
here.jpg (136.01 KiB) Viewed 7762 times

And it will open the sample editor for the loaded sample:

yields_this.jpg
yields_this.jpg (93.72 KiB) Viewed 7762 times

stratatonic

14 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
12 Sep 2021
stratatonic wrote:
11 Sep 2021

Will it be a smart browser that's the thing or will it be the like Reason 8 advertised as a workflow update but with the exception of the browser wasn't much in terms of workflow?

In October we plan to ship an update that organizes all your content in a better way and makes finding patches and sounds much easier

Doesn't sound like an audio waveform preview/scrubber with option to preview at project tempo :(
It does sound like something that should have been in right from the beginning or thrown in an update somewhere over the past seven-eight years.
Can you imagine if even half the stuff from this thread made it to the original R8 workflow browser upgrade!

stratatonic

14 Sep 2021

plaamook wrote:
13 Sep 2021
EnochLight wrote:
12 Sep 2021

If you drag in a bunch of wavefiles from your desktop and into mimic (or grain if you don't have 12 there), it shows the resulting waveform pretty much instantaneously, so I think it shouldn't be an issue loading visuals through the browser, imo.

stratatonic

14 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
14 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021
rdES.png

This context menu?
No, ALT+click on the sample button:

here.jpg

And it will open the sample editor for the loaded sample:

yields_this.jpg
Anyone getting a CALC forever, when trying to edit through the sample window in R12? I have to shut down Reason to stop the indexing. :(

stratatonic

14 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021
I'd also show much love if they added a waveform preview and scrubbing feature to the browser - there's nice bit of room next to play.
And don't forget previewing at project tempo... :)
AttenuationHz wrote:
13 Sep 2021
However the sample edit feature that is on NN-XT and Kong needs to be on the browser for audio files (right click an audio file to bring it up), within it an option to extract different samples from a waveform and export.

Yes, would love to see something similar in the browser!

EnochLight

14 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
14 Sep 2021
Anyone getting a CALC forever, when trying to edit through the sample window in R12? I have to shut down Reason to stop the indexing. :(
No, but I would seriously report that via the support link below (especially if you can recreate the issue):

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

plaamook

14 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
14 Sep 2021
plaamook wrote:
13 Sep 2021

If you drag in a bunch of wavefiles from your desktop and into mimic (or grain if you don't have 12 there), it shows the resulting waveform pretty much instantaneously, so I think it shouldn't be an issue loading visuals through the browser, imo.
Not with my files. I have loads of long hi res samples. There's always a lag.

Or here.

stratatonic

29 Sep 2021

plaamook wrote:
14 Sep 2021
stratatonic wrote:
14 Sep 2021

Not with my files. I have loads of long hi res samples. There's always a lag.
I tested on some longish files and, you're right - they took quite a while to load up in those devices. :(
Then I dragged big files into Kong, and then immediately option/alt - clicked on the sample icon, the waveform was pretty much there in the sample editor. (Mind you, I don't know just how big those long files of yours are, so yrmv...)

If it can be done there with bigger file sizes, then it can be done in The Browser.
But I think the vast majority of usage for an audio preview in the browser would be for wav loops, but I'm sure we all have longer files that we'd would like to preview.

Come on Reason Studios! Get it Done for the Browser Update!
Audio Waveform preview! With tempo sync'd option.

stratatonic

01 Oct 2021

stratatonic wrote:
29 Sep 2021

Come on Reason Studios! Get it Done for the Browser Update!
Audio Waveform preview! With tempo sync'd option.
:puf_smile: It's OCTOBER ! ! :puf_smile:

Where Is that Browser Update?

Midi Preview as well would make for a decent R12 Browser Update! :)

Oper-8

03 Oct 2021

Never noticed the Alt+click on the waveform to open the (still old and modal window.... sigh) sample editor. It doesn't work on Kong, though, which is a pity.

One quick suggestion for the to-be-smart browser : index folders - not Refills, user folders that are in favorites. It takes ages everytime you access a folder which content hasn't been updated since the last mouse click... Reason should index everything (I thought it did, actually, but it seems to index Refills more than regular folders).

And a quick bug report (sorry for being off-topic, but since the support never replies, I guess they might read this forum more often) : just had a crash with a VST plugin that runs through iLok. Not sure if iLok did mess things up, but loading up the plugin had Reason freeze and quit.
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

• Information