Trap hats

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Jagwah

12 Sep 2021

You know the ones, the triplet rolls of hi-hats you hear in everything these days.

It reminds me of when dubstep exploded, and just the same, I now hear trap hats in everything from advertisements to modern music to people on the train wearing headphones (they really pop out even on bud earphones).

I LOVE bassy trap music, I love K pop for this reason, but I just don't like those damn trap hats and they are played to death everywhere.

Is anyone else a bit tired of hearing them or not a big fan of them or have any speculation as to how long we are going to be hearing them all over the place?

Quarmat
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2021

I have the same feeling about those hi-hat triplets. Just like 1/8T reese basses of the dubstep era ie think it's a matter of novelty. Triplets are somehow out of the comfort zone of a musician not trained in musical theory, so they feel weird, eclectic, nasty and really can make stand out an otherwise forgettable low effort hiphop base like there are tens of thousands of them.

Everyone jumps on the triplets wagon and then comes advertising. It will be the ads that will send those hats to retirement: ads are annoying, repetitive, they want you to buy their shit. In the long term people will be fed up with this style and something else (which probably is already here) will rise as the "new sound" and the cycle begins anew.

Some of those sounds last longer some others just last a summer. I give trap no more than 2 years from now before being substituted by an even worse meta in the mainstream.

selig
RE Developer

12 Sep 2021

Quarmat wrote:
12 Sep 2021
Some of those sounds last longer some others just last a summer. I give trap no more than 2 years from now before being substituted by an even worse meta in the mainstream.
Let the speculation begin!
What will be the next worse meta in the mainstream???'
It's coming. We know it's coming - in fact, it's probably out there already, we just haven't recognized it yet…
Selig Audio, LLC

jam-s

12 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
12 Sep 2021
Let the speculation begin!
It's coming. We know it's coming - in fact, it's probably out there already, we just haven't recognized it yet…
My bet is on a come back of huge super saw pads or massive taiko drums.

joeyluck

12 Sep 2021

Lol reminds me when Tiger made a little burn on trap hats in the video about her sound pack for Reason Compact.

Before that, I didn't know what trap hats were 😂

BRIGGS

12 Sep 2021

trap hats = boring now....were cool....but people overdid it.

Overdone steak taste like old shoe.
r11s

aeox
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2021

Challenge: Try to make trap hats fashionable again.

Well I mean, if you're going for THAT sound on purpose that's one thing. It's kind of stained into the genre by now. Could be wrong. Maybe it will shift in a different direction.

On a different note, it's just an instrument after all; maybe it's not the particular sound but just how producers are using or designing the sound.

dan_g

13 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
12 Sep 2021
You know the ones, the triplet rolls of hi-hats you hear in everything these days.

It reminds me of when dubstep exploded, and just the same, I now hear trap hats in everything from advertisements to modern music to people on the train wearing headphones (they really pop out even on bud earphones).

I LOVE bassy trap music, I love K pop for this reason, but I just don't like those damn trap hats and they are played to death everywhere.

Is anyone else a bit tired of hearing them or not a big fan of them or have any speculation as to how long we are going to be hearing them all over the place?
dude thats exaclty my thoughts as well. and it seems to be the same 808 sample everywere with those god damn pitch modulations.

and what i find even more anoying about this stuff: last year i made a remix with a trap style intro (kick and snare) that converts to heavy dubstep in the drop and chose to not include the typical trap hats because i really can't stand them any more. and one of the first comments i get is: " could have some more hat modulations" wth XD
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

rootwheel

13 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
12 Sep 2021

I have a feeling that they've become so ubiquitous now that there are only two possible outcomes. Either there will be a total backlash against them at some point soon and they will become completely passé, or (and, unfortunately I fear, more likely) they are going to be with us as a defining feature of pop music for a long, long time.

WarStar

13 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
12 Sep 2021

This is so funny cuz I just made a post on Instagram about how I'm tired of hearing trap hi-hats lol

Jagwah

14 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
12 Sep 2021
^^ So much this!!

People out there are already enjoying the next big thing and we are all clueless!
joeyluck wrote:
12 Sep 2021
Lol reminds me when Tiger made a little burn on trap hats in the video about her sound pack for Reason Compact.
I'm beginning to think you either have a really good memory or you take lots of notes about everything and alphabetize them all for future use! :thumbup:
dan_g wrote:
13 Sep 2021
dude thats exaclty my thoughts as well. and it seems to be the same 808 sample everywere with those god damn pitch modulations.

and what i find even more anoying about this stuff: last year i made a remix with a trap style intro (kick and snare) that converts to heavy dubstep in the drop and chose to not include the typical trap hats because i really can't stand them any more. and one of the first comments i get is: " could have some more hat modulations" wth XD
lol :) I was worried I might have some sort of elitist attitude here so it's refreshing to see you guys agree on this. I wish dubstep never died down from its 'global phenomenon explosion' because it's really fun to produce and it's wide open to creative ideas and sound design.

Thanks for the discussion guys :puf_smile:

joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
14 Sep 2021
I'm beginning to think you either have a really good memory or you take lots of notes about everything and alphabetize them all for future use! :thumbup:
Lol well like I said, that was the moment I learned about "trap hats" so that's why I remember. And I was thinking, "what are trap hats?" and I looked it up and then realized I knew what trap hats were 😆

dan_g

14 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
14 Sep 2021

lol :) I was worried I might have some sort of elitist attitude here so it's refreshing to see you guys agree on this. I wish dubstep never died down from its 'global phenomenon explosion' because it's really fun to produce and it's wide open to creative ideas and sound design.

Thanks for the discussion guys :puf_smile:
i hate elitism in music.(sadly its quite common in the heavy dubstep/deathstep/minatory scene). i'm more of an open guy when it comes to musical knowledge and stuff. (also why i made the track rundown of one of my tracks, as you might remember )

sharing is caring ;)
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

• Information