Reason Studios shares their roadmap (September 7, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

11 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
11 Sep 2021

A week after 11's launch then, might not be comparible to a week after 12's launch then if you're comparing both the RRP and daw together. There's bound to be loads more people using the RRP now compared to then, due to the fact that a week after 11's launch isn't long enough for people to a) decide they want to learn a whole new daw with the plug-in or b) Have the money or time to actually do it, so the RRP users a week after launch will probably be considerably lower. You could argue, that it doesn't matter because if they aren't using one, they're probably using the other. Hope that made sense lol! There was also no 3 months for $3 thing then either that might alter things.
Absolutely, it's really hard to compare. The reason I bought it up was, I wanted to bring some positivity in here to say that we have had a great first few weeks and that is great for the Reason community and the future of Reason. Again, there is loads more hard work ahead of us as always in terms of fixes and the future roadmap, but I'm pretty pleased that our community is growing and thriving - both amongst new and existing users.
:thumbs_up:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

11 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
09 Sep 2021
QVprod wrote:
08 Sep 2021
No one’s gonna be looking for video editing out of Reason. Simple playback is more than enough.

Nothing wrong with a few basic features, like clip slicing, reversing and stretching. Just because you have no interest does not mean nobody else does.
Yeah cause if video was added, you'd want a few basic editing feature's for it (as you've stated) and to be able to add jpg's / png's and lyrics as video stills or overlay. That being said, as others have said, there's so much in terms of functionality and audio / midi editing that's yet to be added to Reason that, that think video support is way way way down the list of priorities. Get the audio and functionality aspect sorted it first. I wouldn't expect video support till at least Reason 14.

Creativemind

11 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
09 Sep 2021
PeterP wrote:
09 Sep 2021
1) MIDI loop recording to new lanes, or better yet with MIDI comping.
2) Store recorded audio outside the project file. I use a lot of guitar and each song is easily several gigabytes. Storing multiple versions uses up too much disk space.
1) Yeah, that would really be awesome - hoping this is something they add in 2022.
2) Man... we've been requesting this - at least as an option - for many, many years. Something tells me it will never happen, though.
Oh yes, midi comping. +1 to that.

I'm afraid you're right, I think having audio saved as separate files is a pipedream. How does it save memory then having audio saved as a separate file?

rootwheel

11 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
11 Sep 2021
I'm afraid you're right, I think having audio saved as separate files is a pipedream. How does it save memory then having audio saved as a separate file?
I don't think it saves memory but it saves on storage space on disk.

If you want to use the same takes in multiple versions of a song, then currently those takes get duplicated and take up additional file storage for each different version of the song file you have - this occurs because of the monolithic file structure. However, if those takes were separate referenced files, they would only need to exist once on the hard drive but could be referenced by multiple song files - thus only taking up the space required to store them a single time on disk.

Hope that makes sense; if I've understood your question :)

Jagwah

12 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
11 Sep 2021
...video support is way way way down the list of priorities. Get the audio and functionality aspect sorted it first. I wouldn't expect video support till at least Reason 14.
I am aware it's low on the priorities list. I think Reason 14 is pushing it, I personally much prefer modernizing the sequencer first. There's been lots of call for a scoring option over the years, I just really hope they can add a couple of slicing features to it that's all. As for subtitles and jpegs I haven't seen anybody ask for that and I always jump on this subject when it comes up but I do understand your sentiment there.

I can only hope RS are going to increase their output to something that resembles the pace outlined in the roadmap and for the long term, then given time we wouldn't be so heavily debating what features are more important as RS can just get on with all of them. All of those terms I hated hearing so much like 'RS is a small company' or 'they really need more users on board before they can worry about X feature' and all that nonsense can hopefully be a thing of the past sooner rather than later.

Jagwah

12 Sep 2021

I thought the blog post was excellent and it really spoke to me and I imagine many others too.

It was very motivating as a Reason user to hear some of those words, especially with the doubts that have been building over the years.

I agree it's great to see them turn around on very old ideas and try new things, everyone is happier with them trying to be more open and even on this forum there is much more interaction.

Yay Niklas :thumbup:

rootwheel

12 Sep 2021

The blog post is definitely a step in the right direct but they're just promises at the moment! Actions speak louder than words; so here's to the future and hopefully Reason finally becoming all the things its fans have always wanted it to be - and Number 1 in the market place! :)

Proboscis

12 Sep 2021

Road Map ?

More like an escape from the Train Wreck.

EnochLight

12 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
12 Sep 2021
I thought the blog post was excellent and it really spoke to me and I imagine many others too.

It was very motivating as a Reason user to hear some of those words, especially with the doubts that have been building over the years.

I agree it's great to see them turn around on very old ideas and try new things, everyone is happier with them trying to be more open and even on this forum there is much more interaction.

Yay Niklas :thumbup:
^^ THIS ^^.

:thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

thefixr

12 Sep 2021

MixerJaexx wrote:
11 Sep 2021
helmutson wrote:
11 Sep 2021
I have the Macmini M1. Everything is running very smooth and fast here, but I don't use VST plugins, only REs ...
I’m basically the same, I don’t use VST’s… In fact, I’m one of the only people out there that hates them. When it comes to REs, I use them even less than most here, only owning two RE instruments, 2 RE effects and a few RE utilities. 95% of my projects contain Suite devices. And, when on my MacBook Pro M1, the only external hardware I use these days is my Novation Launchpad X.

One difference between my usage and yours may be monitors; I use my MacBook Pro M1’s resolution is “Scaled” on the “Looks like 1280 x 800” option. If you’re Mac Mini, a desktop’s, monitor resolution could be causing a difference.

But, otherwise, it’s clearly obvious on my MacBook Pro M1 that there’s scrolling stutters every once and a while (with only Safari, Messages, Mail, Notes and the newly-rebranded Google Drive running.
Naw I have always felt the same way. Take your reasoning for not liking VST’s and throw in my #1 requirement of stability and we align perfectly on the matter. In fact after reading some of the content on your site I’d say we have A LOT in common.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

chimp_spanner

12 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
11 Sep 2021
EnochLight wrote:
09 Sep 2021

1) Yeah, that would really be awesome - hoping this is something they add in 2022.
2) Man... we've been requesting this - at least as an option - for many, many years. Something tells me it will never happen, though.

It’s a blessing and a curse. I mean, the file sizes can get ridiculous. Especially with multiple versions. But then I think about all the times I tried to open a Cubase project from a previous computer/install and it just freaks out about missing files and stuff. I like that that can’t happen in Reason but…it would be nice to have the choice, definitely.

Marc64

12 Sep 2021

A roadmap is great so we can see the development and not have to guess and wonder what's going on and maaaaaybe get excited about coming stuff :P
More of this please :)

selig
RE Developer

12 Sep 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
12 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
11 Sep 2021

It’s a blessing and a curse. I mean, the file sizes can get ridiculous. Especially with multiple versions. But then I think about all the times I tried to open a Cubase project from a previous computer/install and it just freaks out about missing files and stuff. I like that that can’t happen in Reason but…it would be nice to have the choice, definitely.
I actually don't need separate files saved and audio in it's own folder, the only advantage would be if you ran noise reduction on a file and wanted to drop it back in Reason with all edits in place, which I've needed to do exactly once in the past 10 years (for a client).
What I DO need, and would be almost infinitely more useful in every day work would be the ability to save VERSIONS of a song in the same file. That way I could leave a breadcrumb trail when mixing, try alternate arrangements on a "version" of the song and still have the original, not to mention quickly moving between versions.
You'll also want import/export (merging) between versions, for times when you get a better vocal sound on one mix version but a better drum sound on another - merge away!
Being able to move freely between multiple versions allows greater freedom to explore all your creative options in my experience.
But I probably sound like a broken record here, I've been making the same suggestion since Record was introduced!
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

12 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
12 Sep 2021
chimp_spanner wrote:
12 Sep 2021

I actually don't need separate files saved and audio in it's own folder, the only advantage would be if you ran noise reduction on a file and wanted to drop it back in Reason with all edits in place, which I've needed to do exactly once in the past 10 years (for a client).
What I DO need, and would be almost infinitely more useful in every day work would be the ability to save VERSIONS of a song in the same file. That way I could leave a breadcrumb trail when mixing, try alternate arrangements on a "version" of the song and still have the original, not to mention quickly moving between versions.
You'll also want import/export (merging) between versions, for times when you get a better vocal sound on one mix version but a better drum sound on another - merge away!
Being able to move freely between multiple versions allows greater freedom to explore all your creative options in my experience.
But I probably sound like a broken record here, I've been making the same suggestion since Record was introduced!
I’d disagree that there’s only one advantage to splitting out audio files (maybe you just meant for your own purposes?). having separate audio files is HUGELY beneficial if you save your work to the cloud. it can take upwards of an hour to sync a large Reason file, even if all I’ve done is change the setting of a single knob. this monolithic save file means I have to keep my PC on for longer to wait for everything to get backed up. it’s a huge waste.

in contrast, it usually takes less than 2 minutes to back up my Live sessions, because it’s not forcing my hard drive to keep reprinting the same data to the cloud. initial audio recording sessions can take a little longer but even those are usually only a few minutes unless I’ve done a ton of recording in one go.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

AttenuationHz

12 Sep 2021

As I recall, the original request for video support was fairly basic. Place video on the sequencer allow it to play to the timeline with its audio if any on a separate track. You then can sound design your way through the video with or without the original audio track. It is not for video editing it is for adding audio to a video.

From using Reason as an audio editing tool for Podcast's up to 1 hour and bringing 3 hour long one's down to half that time or various other times the past year. I can tell you that it is not up to scratch in that respect. In particular when splitting stereo tracks, Reason will eventually grind to a halt. Stores way too much temporary files, just 1 project with 4 voice tracks could be using up to and over 60gb disk space. If you export from those stereo tracks it can take many hours to calculate and export your edited podcast. Even when using mono tracks, which you should be doing anyway, it can still use a lot of disk space but is definitely not as bad although still could use improvements.

In that regard the sequencer needs a lot of TLC for editing audio and it would be a prerequisite to adding video support. The tools provided for editing audio are fairly adequate. What needs to be added, which will make the sequencer more effective not just for editing audio but for edited shorter tracks with and without audio, is:
  • A complete color coded marker system, which the playhead can see so you can have and use cue-points.
    • 1 Left and 1 Right loop marker is all there is but I'd like to be able to choose how many loop points are on the sequencer and this will also help with song arrangement, ie first or second set of loop markers can loop N times which can be reflected in the exported audio. You can use loop markers both ways i.e R-L will skip/jump that audio, however because you are limited to 1 set you have to use them very wisely. There are many points on a podcast and or tracks where you would need to check things by repeating sections, so integrating a marker system will allow you to say this marker is loop L this marker loop R and they are for edits (do not reflect what will be exported). Where pressing "1" will jump to some marker (if it is assigned to 1) and pressing some other key will jump to another. Some makers may not actually do anything they are just for notes, for instance "bridge" or "filter here"
      • Removing sections of audio can be cumbersome. You can set the loop markers and right click to remove bars between, however this takes time when it is a repetitive task.
        • A work around I use is you first have to do a R/L loop to skip that section, playing it by ear and changing positions of the loop markers. Were you want to remove the section you then swap R/L so it becomes L/R and remove the bars in between. To do this I usually copy the L bars and paste them into a mixer AUX label, then I copy the R and paste it to L then copy the AUX label and past it to R. A simple swap to the R/L or L/R loop markers would make this far easier.
        • Multiple loop markers would make the task of editing very easy as would the addition to swap the main loop marker positions.
        • Independent removal of audio per track would be a very welcome feature also, for instance if a section is removed with the above method it could only remove the audio for that track and not all the tracks.
  • Better nudge.
    • I'd like to nudge by sample and be able to choose how many samples to nudge by, for instance 16, 32, 64, 96 etc. You can nudge a clip position but it is limited by precision. The lowest precision being ticks, which is tempo dependant.
  • Better vertical zoom for when you are editing audio in particular slicing and positioning it with respect to other tracks and or markers.
    • Currently it works as an average, meaning if you have one track set to smallest and another to half it will zoom all as an average. It would be nice to be able to just zoom the selected track, in other words focused vertical zoom where there is also an option to forget that zoom when that track loses focus. A button on each track could also be selected so a user can say vertically zoom these selected tracks only. Also when you fully zoom out, making vertical zoom the smallest it will forget your zoom settings on other tracks. A default zoom per track could help there. Obviously horizontal zoom needs to work uniformly.
  • Slicing audio sometimes won't slice where you hover so that too needs a better outcome.
  • Bezier curves were a nice addition, however they don't work on an audio clips volume. Where you slice you do need to create a fade most times to remove the click, bezier would be needed here a lot more than it is needed for automation.
I'm sure there are a lot more sequencer request than just these few. I'd like to see these being added over any more devices but if there is more devices added I would love to see a lot more devices along the lines of Complex. I'd pick Sequencer quality of life updates and changes over Devices any day though.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Creativemind

12 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
11 Sep 2021
I don't think it saves memory but it saves on storage space on disk.

If you want to use the same takes in multiple versions of a song, then currently those takes get duplicated and take up additional file storage for each different version of the song file you have - this occurs because of the monolithic file structure. However, if those takes were separate referenced files, they would only need to exist once on the hard drive but could be referenced by multiple song files - thus only taking up the space required to store them a single time on disk.

Hope that makes sense; if I've understood your question :)
Ahh yes. I see. That would make sense to have then.

Creativemind

12 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
12 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
11 Sep 2021
...video support is way way way down the list of priorities. Get the audio and functionality aspect sorted it first. I wouldn't expect video support till at least Reason 14.
I am aware it's low on the priorities list. I think Reason 14 is pushing it, I personally much prefer modernizing the sequencer first. There's been lots of call for a scoring option over the years, I just really hope they can add a couple of slicing features to it that's all. As for subtitles and jpegs I haven't seen anybody ask for that and I always jump on this subject when it comes up but I do understand your sentiment there.

I can only hope RS are going to increase their output to something that resembles the pace outlined in the roadmap and for the long term, then given time we wouldn't be so heavily debating what features are more important as RS can just get on with all of them. All of those terms I hated hearing so much like 'RS is a small company' or 'they really need more users on board before they can worry about X feature' and all that nonsense can hopefully be a thing of the past sooner rather than later.
:thumbs_up:

Arrant
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2021

Audio in separate files is a double-edged sword. Yes it saves space on disk, but it makes your projects a lot less manageable.
I wonder how many Cubase projects I can't properly open any more because of missing Audio. Although to be fair Cubase has a horrible implementation of this.

manisnotabird

13 Sep 2021

New devices – We're currently in the research phase of what our next device will be. We have many cool concepts, but please send us your feedback on what you'd like to see (and hear)!
A new dedicated distortion/saturation device. Scream4 is getting pretty old. Definitely been a few built-in devices since then that can do distortion, but not a dedicated distortion device. (I'd personally like to see some gnarly fuzz type sounds---feel like subtle saturation is pretty well covered--including by some free vsts).

I still want a sampler with a mod matrix and several LFOs/envelopes.

Loque

13 Sep 2021

manisnotabird wrote:
13 Sep 2021
New devices – We're currently in the research phase of what our next device will be. We have many cool concepts, but please send us your feedback on what you'd like to see (and hear)!
A new dedicated distortion/saturation device. Scream4 is getting pretty old. Definitely been a few built-in devices since then that can do distortion, but not a dedicated distortion device. (I'd personally like to see some gnarly fuzz type sounds---feel like subtle saturation is pretty well covered--including by some free vsts).

I still want a sampler with a mod matrix and several LFOs/envelopes.
Hum...yea...i was gambling around with the yesterday and they all sounded just too distorted. Ofc i could build some own thing with multiband and all that stuff, but there is this little anyoing problem with no PDC inside a Combinator, so i would have phase issues all over the place and different sounds depending on the buffer size.
For me it would be enough in first step to have PDC inside the Combinator, especially since now we have the possibility to build really good and big "devices".
Reason12, Win10

Lytz1

13 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Anyone else seen the blog post? https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/roadmap-for-reason

--> [...], roughly half of you are using Reason in another DAW [...]
So roughly half of us don't. Better don't forget that...

cocoazenith

13 Sep 2021

SEQUENCER:
Double clicking on the track icon of a plug-in opens the plug-in window without bringing down the rack view.

esselfortium

13 Sep 2021

cocoazenith wrote:
13 Sep 2021
SEQUENCER:
Double clicking on the track icon of a plug-in opens the plug-in window without bringing down the rack view.
This is another one I wish for on a daily basis.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Melody303

14 Sep 2021

Yay for transparency~

I don't crave the same features that pretty much everyone else seems to. I wrote 150+ songs in Reason in the last 2 years, and nothing's stopping me from writing more. I'm happy with it as is. R12 interests me only for the new combinator, but depending on what the community does with it, that could be a world changer. I remember not being impressed with the original Combinator way back in R3, and how badly I was mistaken on that count. :P

What do I want?
A physically modelled piano to rival Pianoteq (Radical Piano is fine and all, but it doesn't even come close to the myriad of sounds and sound design options on Pianoteq.)
And... maybe let me customize the color palette for my tracks? Open the palette up to have a full RGB selection and let me choose the ranges from which to randomly generate the colors my tracks get assigned? Not particularly important, but it's a feature I'd enjoy more than most of the ones that are constantly being requested.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

14 Sep 2021

flexluthor wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Can we get the notes in the piano roll like in ableton live? It’s a pain to trace a not all the way back to a key to see what it is. It’s just a nice quality of life feature to be able to see if something is A# just by reading it on the piano roll note
Yes very handy. Wanted this for years. How difficult is that to add? I just wonder, were not adding simple things like this done purposely? I can only presume so. I just don't get why things are left out. In Reason 9, they added slicing notes with the razor tool and then left put joining notes, eh, that to me was just logical.

They also go through the whole key highlighting coding for 11 and left out having a shading across the note row in correspondence with your midi controller key depression which enables you to quickly find out what a certain note is on your midi controller if say you open a project a month later. I would've thought that was the main thing to add in that feature no? it means you still have to press a key, watch the key in the midi editor light up and still have to keep following it across with your eyes. Would also be easier if all piano key notes and notes themselves were labelled with the notes.
Last edited by Creativemind on 15 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

• Information