CPU usage and R12 crashs

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Loque

07 Sep 2021

In the beta test i noticed some puzzlement too, which disappeared after updating my graphics drivers.

Did you guys have all your drivers up to date?
Reason12, Win10

drloop

08 Sep 2021

I have a supportticket about this too.
Normal DSP level in Reason 11 and 12 but 12 uses in fact roughly 50% more CPU in Windows resource manager.
Its been like this since I got 12 with + subscription. This new CPU ”feature” have stopped med from using 12.

I have all drivers like graphics and soundcard drivers updated.
Tried with two different soundcards.
Well hope we can find a solution soon.

robotgard

08 Sep 2021

I compared the Carlstrom project - Airplane.rsndemo in versions 11 and 12, but did not notice a difference (other than a 20% increase in memory usage).

It plays the second half of the song.
CPU shown uneven, but the difference between the min and max values of about the same.

11-12 play.gif
11-12 play.gif (204 KiB) Viewed 2534 times

fullforce

08 Sep 2021

Ted Pikul wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Reason 12 wasn't ready for release, it seems. It is by far the most unstable new version of Reason I have ever used. After using it for two days, I have seen the following problems:
  • Three BSOD (I almost never see those in Windows 10)
  • Two Reason freezes
  • Several instances where Reason would not launch, or would launch, and then quickly vanish
  • Unusually slow loading VST plug-ins
If this continues, I will have no choice but to roll back to Reason 11.
This could also be a driver issue, such as the display driver. Have you tried updating those?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Ted Pikul

08 Sep 2021

fullforce wrote:
08 Sep 2021
This could also be a driver issue, such as the display driver. Have you tried updating those?
Yes, I had the same suspicion (since the hi-res update is the main addition in R12). After I installed the latest NVIDIA drivers for my graphics card, the program seems to be more stable. So I would definitely recommend trying this if you are having weird stability issues.

gritz

10 Sep 2021

Guys recently got reason 12 and a 2tb ssd anf now it’s running like an old dog - really slow moving cursor around and there’s a lag when working on older project from reason 11 - can you advise best performance settings

MixerJaexx

10 Sep 2021

brand wrote:
06 Sep 2021
Especially since I have to re-deploy my Mixer Jaexx maps every time (Reason forces them back to Reason default.)
Using macOS, right? It seems because Reason is now storing the maps inside the program itself and, when the program gets an update; boom, remote map replaced. Making my remote map versions a higher version than the default remote maps doesn’t seem to work if I remember correctly.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

MixerJaexx

10 Sep 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
06 Sep 2021
A majority of people seems to have the same or better performance and it doesn't seem to be related to computer specs
I thought the opposite was true? Performance on my MacBook Pro M1 (16 GB ram) is worst than Reason 11.x Suite, especially scrolling. And performance on my latest version Windows 10 with an i9 CPU (16 GB ram) and RTX 2060 graphics card (latest drivers) is even worst. The CPU usage is higher, scrolling isn’t as smooth (often lags for half a second) and Reason crashes far more often. On my Windows machine, every single day since release I’ve left Reason open, in the foreground, sometimes open to a project and sometimes sitting to an empty rack (one instrument and four effects loaded). After a few hours, I can tell Reason’s crashed because all my studio hardware has disconnect messages. Not a single day has Reason not crashed overnight. In Reason 11.x I would do the same and Reason wouldn’t crash sitting idle (longest time was a two week period).

I can’t see the majority of people having the same performance as Reason 11.x and I absolutely cannot fathom people having better performance.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

MixerJaexx

10 Sep 2021

esselfortium wrote:
07 Sep 2021
I'm on an i9-9900k with 64GB RAM, so I don't think it's my system to blame...
Isn’t that funny, we both are experiencing issues and both have the same processor (but I desoldered mine and replaced it with a custom brass lid for increased overclocking / performance). Are people really experiencing “better” performance from Reason 11 to Reason 12?

Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

brand

11 Sep 2021

MixerJaexx wrote:
10 Sep 2021

Using macOS, right? It seems because Reason is now storing the maps inside the program itself and, when the program gets an update; boom, remote map replaced. Making my remote map versions a higher version than the default remote maps doesn’t seem to work if I remember correctly.
MJ, Yes. Actually, this is Eric, so we both remember the testing, at least under macOS. Not a deal breaker, just kind of annoying. That was just sort of "by the way", because I re-install the maps each RS update. I'm reluctant to upgrade from 11 Suite this time. I believe that RS has a schedule, and sometimes if they don't cut over to a new version, they could be endlessly tinkering with it. But some of the issues I'm seeing on the forum, the software upgrade seems to have been released prematurely. I want to upgrade, but I'm not feeling this one yet.

MixerJaexx

11 Sep 2021

brand wrote:
11 Sep 2021
I'm reluctant to upgrade from 11 Suite this time.
Yeah, I like the new Combinator 2, but there’s so many issues with Reason 12 (the first time over ever experienced major technical issues with Reason since version 1). Regarding my free mixer interfaces, such as the 24 channel MJ X-Touch Trinity, the insert controls and the mastering suite controls are missing within the remote protocols in Reason 12.

For those unaware, you can control from mixer hardware Combinators (version 1) that are loaded as inserts, this is what the digital scribble strips look like doing that with the MJ X-Touch Trinity.

And this is part of my mixer interface for controlling the mastering suite (which itself is a Combinator patch) in the interface’s “flip mode” (which shows additional information that may not be visible in the “normal” mode).

This is apparently due to the fact that Reason Studios hadn’t decided what to do yet with how the new Combinator would work regarding inserts and as a mastering suite. This is also part of the same reason the new Combinator controls are fully controllable (32 knobs / faders and 32 buttons) via the remote system, yet the order of which knobs get controlled in order isn’t implemented.

Besides those issues, my mixer interfaces seem to be working in Reason 12, although it’s hard to say if the crashes I’m experiencing while Reason is idle after an hour or more may be due to Reason not working well with external hardware (Korg Kontrolpad, Roland A49, Nektar Panorama P1, Behringer FCA1616, Arturia KeyStep, LoopMIDI, and three “work-in-progress” mixers from an undisclosed company).

For many different reasons, I can’t recommend people upgrade to Reason 12 at this time.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

brand

11 Sep 2021

MixerJaexx wrote:
11 Sep 2021
For many different reasons, I can’t recommend people upgrade to Reason 12 at this time.
Exactly. And if I'm reading your post correctly, it appears that RS have done something which is messing up the mastering section of the map. I mean, I wonder if that will ever be fixed...

I agree, I have only been with Reason since 9, but never have I had an upgrade where I screeched to a halt like this. I have to stand pat with 11.<whatever> at this point. Being a fan of Reason, this situation troubles me. But I guess I've arrived at the place where I saw many veteran users had arrived: the skipping of upgrades for whatever reason. It's typical for me to wait months before deploying macOS upgrades. But I was always OK with upgrading Reason.

The Hippocratic Oath is somewhat relevant:
"I will use those dietary regimens which will benefit my patients according to my greatest ability and judgement, and I will do no harm or injustice to them."

In other words, first, do no harm. And this is the problem; some good was done, for sure. But it appears that some harm was also done.

jamesa

11 Sep 2021

I have a 2018 MacBook Air (yeah not the most powerful computer). Reason DAW has the fan on constantly. RRP in Logic is quiet as a mouse (or trackpad in my case badam tish). Weird... In RDAW I had a single combinator with a MIDI out device and the fan was on.

jamesa

11 Sep 2021

Now that I've used it a bit, the fan does come on the odd time in the RRP but nowhere near to the extent of when using RDAW.

Nerveclinic

11 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Sep 2021
I just wrote on another thread but it may help some: check your settings, make sure hyperthreading is off. I had CPU issues yesterday until I realised the settings from 11 don't automatically move to the new version. The theme change should have been the first clue 😂
I would check but I have no clue what hyper threading is. And why would they set it to something that crashes.

Fucking amateurs.

MixerJaexx

11 Sep 2021

Regarding performance and some things not working, I have absolute faith Reason Studios will fix them and that it won’t take too long. This is one of the reasons I don’t recommend upgrading to Reason 12 “at this time”.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

Nerveclinic

11 Sep 2021

All that 12 is doing for me is crashing. I can't get anything done. Putting lots of work in to a track and Reason goes poof and it's all gone. Never happened until 12.

Nerveclinic

11 Sep 2021

MixerJaexx wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Regarding performance and some things not working, I have absolute faith Reason Studios will fix them and that it won’t take too long. This is one of the reasons I don’t recommend upgrading to Reason 12 “at this time”.
Sorry that is a BS defense. There is no excuse for them releasing something when we are creating difficult art and they just delete it when it crashes.

I have used it a week and haven't gotten any work done.

Really sad this is what they have come to.

Nerveclinic

11 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
07 Sep 2021
In the beta test i noticed some puzzlement too, which disappeared after updating my graphics drivers.

Did you guys have all your drivers up to date?
Everything on my computer is "up to date" I download all updates when apple tells me. It's just crashing. I have not been able to use 12 at all with 2019 iMac, top chip i7, 3.2GHZ 32 GB RAM all updates done.

PhillipOrdonez

12 Sep 2021

Nerveclinic wrote:
11 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Sep 2021
I just wrote on another thread but it may help some: check your settings, make sure hyperthreading is off. I had CPU issues yesterday until I realised the settings from 11 don't automatically move to the new version. The theme change should have been the first clue 😂
I would check but I have no clue what hyper threading is. And why would they set it to something that crashes.

Fucking amateurs.
I'm talking about an optional tick box on Reason settings. That doesn't crash the machine though, it only may or may not make the computer run more or less efficiently. In some machines having it on means better performance, in my case, I get much better performance with it off.

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2021

I have had issues with R12 too and second the feeling that it seems like it was rushed and not really properly tucked away.

I do Podcast editing with files that are commonly 60+ mins. I have already had to make sure that a file is never longer than 30 mins and I Bounce down every 5 mins or the whole thing gets lagged to buggery. Now with R12 the waveform jags and flickers all over the place, sometimes the whole screen looks like Attack Of The Killer FM Saw. Thankfully the audio works or I'd be screwed (and poor):

Support offered a logging version. While I understand that helps them, it is a PITA for me seeing I use Reason non-stop. The R12 Beta was enough of a hassle that I tossed it off.

That brings me to today where I opened a Mix project with a client in my studio and it would not play. All I get is a few seconds of some of the tracks and then it stops. The Disc Can't Keep Up warning is lit up. Sure it is 125 Tracks which is a lot. Seeing I can dump all of those files into Harrison Mixbus and it seem perfectly happy, it seems to say that this is not a hardware thing but something in Reason. Either that Project File is corrupted or Reason is not professional enough to handle serious work - not an opinion I like to have at all.

Reason is for me a professional tool, as in I earn my living from using it, not a sometimes toy. I do not like sending a client away with no pay and lost confidence in my ability to get the job done. Therefore it has to work.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

DaveyG

13 Sep 2021

Benedict wrote:
13 Sep 2021
I have had issues with R12 too and second the feeling that it seems like it was rushed and not really properly tucked away.

I do Podcast editing with files that are commonly 60+ mins. I have already had to make sure that a file is never longer than 30 mins and I Bounce down every 5 mins or the whole thing gets lagged to buggery. Now with R12 the waveform jags and flickers all over the place, sometimes the whole screen looks like Attack Of The Killer FM Saw. Thankfully the audio works or I'd be screwed (and poor):

Support offered a logging version. While I understand that helps them, it is a PITA for me seeing I use Reason non-stop. The R12 Beta was enough of a hassle that I tossed it off.

That brings me to today where I opened a Mix project with a client in my studio and it would not play. All I get is a few seconds of some of the tracks and then it stops. The Disc Can't Keep Up warning is lit up. Sure it is 125 Tracks which is a lot. Seeing I can dump all of those files into Harrison Mixbus and it seem perfectly happy, it seems to say that this is not a hardware thing but something in Reason. Either that Project File is corrupted or Reason is not professional enough to handle serious work - not an opinion I like to have at all.

Reason is for me a professional tool, as in I earn my living from using it, not a sometimes toy. I do not like sending a client away with no pay and lost confidence in my ability to get the job done. Therefore it has to work.

There probably are not many people putting that many tracks into Reason but that's not to say it shouldn't work, or at least degrade more gracefully. The most obvious question is: does it work better in R11?

Failing that, your choice would be to sub-mix bunches of the tracks to stems and mix with those or, and I know how you feel about this, use something like Cubase or Studio One, where large track counts definitely do work because both of those DAWs cater for orchestral composers where track counts can easily reach three figures. If it is your living and Reason is not up to the job then you need to use something that is. No room for sentiment when it comes to paid work.

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2021

I have had this issue with this very file in R11 too so I don't think it is R12. I am just hoping that RS can see and actually do something better than tell me to buy another DAW (which they actually did not so long ago over the podcast files bloating and grinding to a halt)!

Yes maybe I do have to move but I am resisting that as hard as I can because Reason is my home. It works how I like it to work. Unless I can be told (properly) that Reason is not suited to a professional, I work on the assumption that it is what it is advertised to be. Maybe this can be cleared up. I have another thread particularly about the high-track-count-thing if the answer is better given there.

Otherwise yes Cubase (for its history), Studio One for its attempt to be good to use, Bitwig for it's super coolness become more attractive then I would like.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Nerveclinic

13 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Sep 2021

I'm talking about an optional tick box on Reason settings. That doesn't crash the machine though, it only may or may not make the computer run more or less efficiently. In some machines having it on means better performance, in my case, I get much better performance with it off.
Mine was off...

PhillipOrdonez

13 Sep 2021

Nerveclinic wrote:
13 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Sep 2021

Mine was off...
Try with it on and see if it helps, then.

• Information