MusicRadar Reason 12 Review out...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Faastwalker

11 Sep 2021

Fair review I think. Question of value? - Hard to answer as a Reason+ subscriber that was on Reason 10 & got Reason+ for half price for the first year. So, at the time, Reason 11, all Reason Studios devices I didn't already have (of which there were quite a few) + the sound packs, which I've hardly touched. Now 12 comes along with, I think, some fantastic additions. Basically free for me as a subscriber. Pretty happy here to be honest. If I was on Reason 10 and had not subscribed would the R12 upgrade be worth it? Absolutely. For Mimic and Combinator 2 alone. Hi-res is great and I would have been getting R11 + R12. So, yes. Very worthwhile and very happy ;-)

thx

11 Sep 2021

exxx wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Users here are too company-friendly.
Well politeness is nice, and it's healthy to feel a sense of gratitude to things. Then again, buying the same thing each year is madness, and only makes these lazy, cynical "old wine in new bottle" updates more likely to continue.

rootwheel

11 Sep 2021

exxx wrote:
10 Sep 2021

It's like a reason studio employee.

Such advocacy is rare.

Why are you defending the company so much?
I had the same thing over on the other thread trying to campaign for Mimic to be released more widely. That it should be a standalone RE available to all versions of Reason compatible with it; given it demonstrably is built with the same RE SDK that supports Reason 10.4 and Reason 11+. Instead of rallying behind my call and saying, yeah wouldn't it be great for the community if Reason Studios would make their new flagship sampler more widely available within the Reason customer base, I just get really weird replies trying to shoot me and my angle down - as if it's unacceptable to challenge the corporate approved roadmap. Very strange.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
11 Sep 2021
I had the same thing over on the other thread trying to campaign for Mimic to be released more widely. That it should be a standalone RE available to all versions of Reason compatible with it; given it demonstrably is built with the same RE SDK that supports Reason 10.4 and Reason 11+. Instead of rallying behind my call and saying, yeah wouldn't it be great for the community if Reason Studios would make their new flagship sampler more widely available within the Reason customer base, I just get really weird replies trying to shoot me and my angle down - as if it's unacceptable to challenge the corporate approved roadmap. Very strange.
People are responding to your attitude.

If you go around trying to belittle people, it just will not go down well.

This is a part of growing up (boundaries, reading the room, getting along with people, self-awareness, theory of mind, empathy, managing your emotions, etc.)

They've made Mimic a feature of R12 (and onwards). They used the SDK so yes, they could have put it on the store. But they didn't.

The way you've been behaving is what people are responding to, not the logic that they could have put it on the store so that people on older version of Reason could buy it.

I don't get why they made that decision. And I don't really care TBH.

I can criticize their decision. But I can do it respectfully and nobody would "shoot me down" because I'm not coming across as self-entitled or demeaning others.

In fact, I have a thread criticizing RS, their direction and all sorts. Notice how I've not been "shot down". Notice how RS staff were happy to comment in the thread.

That's because I've criticized them (and quite harshly) in an adult manner (or at least I'd like to think so).

rootwheel

11 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
11 Sep 2021
People are responding to your attitude.
That is absolutely not what happened. My initial post was a friendly request:
Can we please get Mimic in the Reason shop too? I'd be happy to pay $99/£99 for it. It would be a wonderful gesture by Reason Studios to their loyal paying customers who, for whatever reason, are unable to get the Reason 12 upgrade just now but would still like to play with this new sampler instrument...
The replies after that were all either sarcastic; suggesting I was stupid to even ask such a thing, trying to suggest it wasn't technically possible, then when I made the case it is technically possible, the replies shifted to a sort of anger saying I was wrong to even suggest the idea at all because it didn't make business sense for Reason Studios, and then finally when that was disproved the replies turned to ridiculing my older computer (previously comparing it to a 386 running Windows 3.1) and that I should just accept it because I was being unreasonable making such a request for such an old system.

Not one person really said, yeah it does seem a bit rubbish that they didn't do this and lent any real support in my trying to make the argument that in a better world, Reason Studios would have offered this new instrument to as wide a range of their customers as possible - especially where there are no technical reasons preventing them from doing so. I was hoping to get some support so Reason Studios might listen and change their minds - not a bunch of corporate suck-ups trying to argue me down as if I'm in the wrong for daring to even suggest the idea in the first place.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
10 Sep 2021
The review is fair, I'm more surprised that Reason actually got a mention it's rear to ever see any news about Reason outside of the community.

I think the comments about mimic being able to fill a missing gap is a stretch as I've seen plenty of sample based devices in Reason for years and I still haven't got it out more than a play for a few days and got bored very quick, I assume that if you use devices like it then it probably works perfectly well for you but it's definitely not a device I can see myself using much.

My understanding of the new zoom is it's definitely better for RRP which they haven't really acknowledged

computer music didn't even mention Algorithm during a recent review of FM synths and the odd times I've seen Reason tutorials in the magazines is when they are recycling old tutorials
(...)
All in all it's a reasonable review from a company that generally ignores Reason.
Music radar reviews reason every single new release for the latest 10 years. Also SOS, music tech, and even pcmag!

miscend

16 Sep 2021

Bonedo also have a review out . It's positive overall, especially if you updating from older versions or new to music production. Here is the conclusion via Safari's translate:
Reason Studios have done a lot right with Reason 12: The novelties are excellent and the subscription model with the many sounds on the pulse of time. The sampler Mimic is an absolute sound design machine. And Reason now also looks razor-sharp on 4k screens. The expansion of the Combinator has already provided a variety of new multi-instruments from the community.

Nevertheless, you can't get rid of the impression that with regard to the competition and their full updates (Ableton 11, Cubase 11, Logic 10), a version 12 is released somewhat hasty, which is more of an 11.5. MPE is missing, VST3 is missing and little has been changed in the actual workflow in the sequencer for some versions. Looking at all those who already paid for an update to version 11 less than a year ago, a little cheeky. Reason 12 is still a recommendation for all newcomers and those who use older versions.
https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelans ... -test.html

cocoazenith

17 Sep 2021

The price will go up October 1st and reviews usually consider pricing before reaching the final verdict.

Wonder if any of these reviews will be thus changed by adding that extra word that gives me shivers, to the CONS section:
"EXPENSIVE"

kitekrazy

17 Sep 2021

thx wrote:
11 Sep 2021
exxx wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Well politeness is nice, and it's healthy to feel a sense of gratitude to things. Then again, buying the same thing each year is madness, and only makes these lazy, cynical "old wine in new bottle" updates more likely to continue.
That's why I would never go with Bitwig only because you choose to pay annually.

• Information