giving up alcohol

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
DaveyG

01 Jun 2020

Zac wrote:
01 Jun 2020
Thanks guys. A lot of the achievements in my life have felt hollow but this one feels real.
It is real. It doesn't get much more real. :thumbs_up:

fullforce

10 Sep 2021

Today I decided that enough is enough. Wish me luck.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

fullforce wrote:
10 Sep 2021
You don't need luck if you've decided. You'll just do it.
I woke up 4 years ago (nearly 5) and decided nah that's it. I was ready to do it though. All my friends were saying well done and oh what will power but it wasn't...it just wasn't a struggle at all. So...if you have decided then you've decided...no luck needed :).
Good luck though :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

miyaru

10 Sep 2021

I gave up on alcohol 26 years ago, and smoking 15 years ago....... best decisions of my lifehealth........
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

Jackjackdaw

10 Sep 2021

I gave up alcohol around about a year ago. The intention was to do a dry year which I have done before but this time I'm just going to keep going.

zero01101

11 Sep 2021

fullforce wrote:
10 Sep 2021
good luck, but i don't think you'll need it - just by saying that, you've got this

Zac

11 Sep 2021

fullforce wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Good luck! 👍

I couldn’t do it alone, so I work a 12 step program. Just saying it's there if you need it. Leaving alcohol behind has transformed me and my life.

fullforce

11 Sep 2021

Thanks everyone. Day 1, cleaning up house and garden. Normally I would be half wasted on the couch on a saturday. So far so good.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

fullforce wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Thanks everyone. Day 1, cleaning up house and garden. Normally I would be half wasted on the couch on a saturday. So far so good.
Great tactic.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

miyaru

11 Sep 2021

fullforce wrote:
11 Sep 2021
You are doing great, and remember: you can drink alcohol, but you do not want it anymore - and you are stronger!!!! :clap: :thumbup:
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

fullforce

12 Sep 2021

Day 2. Set myself 3 targets/goals to do in my house. Met all 3. That's pretty cool. But after you're done, craving, obviously. Evenings are hard too. Just say no!

fullforce

13 Sep 2021

Day 3. Monday! Work! Well, not too bad with a fresh head, but I could use some more sleep.

willy_dinglefinger

14 Sep 2021

Nice one fullforce (and others here) for giving it up. This is a cool thread.

I gave up drinking 1556 days ago and can't even remember what a hangover feels like anymore. I mean, I still have periods of really missing alcohol and craving it and have to readjust my mindset and take things day-by-day but otherwise I absolutely love not drinking now and am genuinely happy and more in rhythm with myself and the world.

Everyone's different of course but in my experience the initial withdrawal feelings and sleep disturbances etc don't last too long like and by the looks of your posts you're handling things brilliantly so onwards and upwards.
Hypernormalise forum signatures :reason:

fullforce

08 Oct 2022

Well, here we go again. I'm starting a new job on monday and decided yesterday that I need to quit, again. I had some time off and have been drinking way too much. So now it's 3 days of detoxing (including tomorrow), and it's going alright, but man, it's hard as well, especially now that it's weekend. So used to just open a bottle of wine at 5 PM, or sometimes 4. With my previous job I didn't really give a shit about a hangover, had a steady contract and everything was routine, but this new job is a super opportunity so I really cannot blow that, so I need to keep my head clear. Finally a good reason (lol).

Termigator

08 Oct 2022

wow this post was me and since the. i have had a major
mental breakdown and today im
drinking again

having nice food with fam

but i must be done i must be close to done

motuscott

08 Oct 2022

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
Seriously

Seeing some progress in my own battle...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Termigator

08 Oct 2022

this was my original post i mean

Termigator

08 Oct 2022

i’m so glad for this i am sleep1979 ( please don’t ban me im a changed man ) but i have since suffered a major mental breakdown i have been on my own like two years and put on a shitload of weight , recently the fight back is coming but it’s like we say when your ready your ready wait hold hold on until then

Termigator

08 Oct 2022

i am so grateful for this post

motuscott

08 Oct 2022

Keep on keeping on.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Aosta

08 Oct 2022

Here is a cautionary tale...
Someone very close to me has struggled with alcohol all their life. They now suffer from chronic pancreatitis and are in excruciating pain 24/7. They cannot eat and have wasted down to skin and bones. They are on the highest amount of morphine they can legally be given and it still doesn't stop the pain.
They also smoked their entire life and are suffering from horrible stabbing pains in their feet because of clogged arteries and blood circulation, talk is now of amputation of both legs...
For what exactly?
To voluntarily ingest a poison hidden in a badly tasting drink?
To voluntarily inhale smoke into their lungs for no benefit whatsoever?
To fritter away their money and time with a bunch of people just as addicted and in denial as them?
The person is 55 years old and probably wont make it to 56.
Nobody is bulletproof and I suggest those still on the edge of quitting take these words as not only a warning but your probable outcome if you continue down this path.
Watching this person waiting to die and wasting away is soul destroying so think of your loved ones and what they will go through too.
I was an alcoholic and a smoker for many years but stopped over 10 years ago, it was THE best decision in my life by far.
Wake up before you can't.

Alcohol is your best friend,
Then it is your only friend,
Then it becomes your worst enemy....
Tend the flame

Termigator

09 Oct 2022

Aosta wrote:
08 Oct 2022
Here is a cautionary tale...
Someone very close to me has struggled with alcohol all their life. They now suffer from chronic pancreatitis and are in excruciating pain 24/7. They cannot eat and have wasted down to skin and bones. They are on the highest amount of morphine they can legally be given and it still doesn't stop the pain.
They also smoked their entire life and are suffering from horrible stabbing pains in their feet because of clogged arteries and blood circulation, talk is now of amputation of both legs...
For what exactly?
To voluntarily ingest a poison hidden in a badly tasting drink?
To voluntarily inhale smoke into their lungs for no benefit whatsoever?
To fritter away their money and time with a bunch of people just as addicted and in denial as them?
The person is 55 years old and probably wont make it to 56.
Nobody is bulletproof and I suggest those still on the edge of quitting take these words as not only a warning but your probable outcome if you continue down this path.
Watching this person waiting to die and wasting away is soul destroying so think of your loved ones and what they will go through too.
I was an alcoholic and a smoker for many years but stopped over 10 years ago, it was THE best decision in my life by far.
Wake up before you can't.

Alcohol is your best friend,
Then it is your only friend,
Then it becomes your worst enemy....
did you stop both bro ?

miyaru

09 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
08 Oct 2022
drinking again

Seek help, embrace the help, but don't fall for religion or a cult please. Seek professional help!!!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.

Aosta

09 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
09 Oct 2022
did you stop both bro ?
Yes, I gave up drinking first and then smoking in the space of around 6 months. Been over a decade since I took a sip or inhaled anything.
Tend the flame

Termigator

09 Oct 2022

miyaru wrote:
09 Oct 2022
Termigator wrote:
08 Oct 2022
drinking again

Seek help, embrace the help, but don't fall for religion or a cult please. Seek professional help!!!!!!
professinal help isnt as easy to get as you think to get

i’m
unemplyed at the moment now because of this and when you want it for free you have to go on a waiting list

and its really expensive if not like really expensive

• Information