What time signature is this?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
muckmclane

10 Sep 2021

I have been sending the AMS player midi to the sequencer and have been getting some unusual loop lengths. In the attached reason 10 file, I have an example of this. What time signature is this?
time signature is.zip
(188.63 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (98.43 KiB) Viewed 451 times

guitfnky

10 Sep 2021

why not post an audio file?
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

muckmclane

10 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
10 Sep 2021
why not post an audio file?

guitfnky

10 Sep 2021

sounds like 5/4. took me a minute to realize it wasn’t in 4, but pretty easy to spot once you recognize the high note of each descending pattern happens every 5 quarter notes. that’s a pretty neat little vibe you have there. 👍🏼

muckmclane

10 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
10 Sep 2021
sounds like 5/4. took me a minute to realize it wasn’t in 4, but pretty easy to spot once you recognize the high note of each descending pattern happens every 5 quarter notes. that’s a pretty neat little vibe you have there. 👍🏼

With the time signature of 5/16, it takes a minimum of 10 measures before I have a coherent loop, then its good at 20, then at 30 etc.

With 5/4 the loop stops in a weird spot, like two quarter notes + one 8th note into measure 8.

Any ways you helped me solve my problem with correctly pointing out the first number in the time signature. It can be very tedious to find the looping point when you are in the wrong time signature!

guitfnky

11 Sep 2021

muckmclane wrote:
10 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
10 Sep 2021

With the time signature of 5/16, it takes a minimum of 10 measures before I have a coherent loop, then its good at 20, then at 30 etc.

With 5/4 the loop stops in a weird spot, like two quarter notes + one 8th note into measure 8.

Any ways you helped me solve my problem with correctly pointing out the first number in the time signature. It can be very tedious to find the looping point when you are in the wrong time signature!
yeah, the first number is usually the trickier one. the second is divisible by 2, so, different time signatures are often interchangeable (e.g. one person might count it in 5/4, another in 5/8, and so on).

and yes, getting the time signature right is really important in modern DAW sequencing. I would argue it’s the most crucial piece of music theory one should be able to grasp in order to make music in a DAW.

• Information