Reason Studios shares their roadmap (September 7, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Sep 2021

hurricane wrote:
10 Sep 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021

Will pass this on to Mattias and co.
This is one of the most annoying bugs so I submitted a ticket back in the middle of August just to make sure it was on the bug list (ID#101764) hoping it would get squashed before the R12 release, but it seemed like the RS guy who responded had no idea this was even broken. :question:
I can see it's on our backlog but didn't make it into the release. So we're definitely aware of it.

AttenuationHz

10 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Eprom wrote:
10 Sep 2021

Thank you for responding.
I understand how much work it is to deliver a stable piece of software, but as many of your users are depending on it for their livelihood, my question is this; why didn't you guys wait and release this version in Januari with all the upgrades and bug fixes you promise to do in that blog post????

PS I'm not being negative, it is a genuine question.
No, it's a great question. And the answer is that, we committed to this release date back in May and we really didn't want to keep everyone waiting - we were eager to get out the new Combinator, Mimic and HD. Would we have preferred to have released an initial version without any bugs? Of course, but the new Combinator and HD was almost like an entire refactor of the Reason engine, it was truly a mountain of work and we really were still sprinting towards the finish line at release day to get everything done, and we just didn't have time to squash every bug.
I can't speak for anyone else but I would have accepted a delay, if there was one to be announced.

To follow up on this question: Would a delay of 3-4 weeks, or even 2-3 weeks, been enough time to get things propped, so you all could at least catch a breather and squash some bug's or get at least one aspect of changes sitting correct?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Creativemind

10 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
10 Sep 2021

Yeah, the browser is still taking a while on my comp (and it's not an old comp 18 months old (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6 core 3.4ghz processor with 16gb RAM). To open up the Desktop - 3 seconds). Loading a sample into Mimic, well, seems to be working fine now but sometimes the screen goes a white shading and it takes 5 or 6 seconds load a sample in.

Is this normal behaviour too, it won't let me widen / extend out the browser on 180% zoom (ok on 160% or less) on a W10 comp?
As far as I can tell zoom is completely broken. Should not resize the entire window. Inner windows should only be resized, and if detached separately for the Rack and Mixer. As it is, I don't see myself ever using zoom I have a large enough 32" display. The Sequencer doesn't explicitly need zoom, it already zooms clips etc. It would be good feature as an accessibility option, for user who might be vision impaired, or users on laptops but it is definitely not useful if the browser takes up a lot of the width.

It certainly isn't expected behaviour. If you resize the other edge of the window can you widen the browser, assuming of course you can find the edge (as the window resize pushes the other edge more off the screen)
Agree with your points here and never thought about being able to zoom clips themselves anyway. I still think all 3 windows should be scaleable, just individually. The zoom is very nice though. I commend them on that. I was using Reason Standalone today on either 120 or 140% zoom and after I went back to 100% (on a 22" monitor) I did think, christ, how did I ever use this rack that small lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

10 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Just to add some context which may be helpful and even surprising to you: roughly 10x as many users are already using Reason 12 a week after launch as compared to how many were using Reason 11 a week after its launch.
Is that Reason 12 standalone or including the RRP as well?

EnochLight

10 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Takes ~5 seconds to load favorites list's. With roughly 60 samples in there that is a substantial amount of time compared to the old browser, which was instant.
EnochLight wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Weird, I have more than 60 samples in some Favorites - I'll have to test how long it takes on my machine. Not at the studio right now so will have to get back to you.
OK, so I'm not finding any measurable difference on my machine between the time that Reason 11 takes and Reason 12 takes for parsing a Favorites file with over 190 samples in it - but neither 11 or 12 is instant for me. Here's Reason 11:

And here's Reason 12:

I didn't time them with a stopwatch, but my non-scientific estimate looks to be roughly the same for the two. Yours takes substantially longer? I mean I get that you don't care about recursive search (!!!?) and don't use drag and drop, but I'd be interested to know why your machine is taking so much longer. Are you Windows or Mac?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Arrant
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Arrant wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Reason 8 was the most underwhelming Reason release of all time.
But that was down to disappointment with the new features, I don't recall it being unusable at launch like R12.
12 is unusable? To be clear - I'm not sure I understand, but that's because it's 100% usable on my almost 10 year old machine. But getting back to Reason 8, noooooo - it was an absolute shit-show. Massive amount of users hating the new browser, hating the new look, raging at the removal of the Line 6 devices that broke all backwards compatibility, and yeah - the underwhelming features at launch. Like it was literally a new coat of paint and the Softube amps that replaced the Line 6 stuff, and that was it.

Just say'n, IMHO Reason 12 blows Reason 8 out of the water using that as a metric.
I would totally agree with you, if the new features actually worked. As it is I can gawk at the HD textures and make some pretty combinators but that's about it, I can forget about doing any actual music production. The browser is completely broken (no, it's not just me), the program is unstable as never before, and the zoom implementation is terrible. If you're happy with that, that's great, but that doesn't mean everybody else is.
Last edited by Arrant on 11 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

gullum

10 Sep 2021

I wish they updated the way remote works and then selecting a track on the controller it became focused so I get the EQ spectrum for that channel on screen, the controller for for channel strip (Console 1 in my case) is set for that channel and my master keyboard is playing that instrument or if it's an audio track I can record to that channel. So several midi controllers working together through remote map as if I had on big controller
Last edited by gullum on 10 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

STIM

10 Sep 2021

'New devices – We're currently in the research phase of what our next device will be. We have many cool concepts, but please send us your feedback on what you'd like to see (and hear)!'

I'd like another semi-modular synth (like Thor) but a modern style synth with visual feedback (like Serum or Pigments).

I'd like to be able to select from oscillators such as Wavetable, Spectral additive, Virtual Analogue etc and be able to FM between them.

Other than Algoritm or Friction, Reason's synths could appear quite dated to a younger user so making a modern looking (and sounding) synth will help to bring new users in.

Loque

10 Sep 2021

What devices are still missing in the Reason arsenal? Physical modeling! Kong is a good starter, Europa has something, Friktion has a good idea... But nothing like or beyond current good physical modeling synths.
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

10 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
10 Sep 2021
I would totally agree with you, if the new features actually worked. As it is I can gawk at the HD textures and make some pretty combinators but that's about it, I can forget about doing any actual music production. The browser is completely broken (no, it's not just me), the program is unstable as never before, and the zoom implementation is terrible. If you're happy with that, that's great, but that doesn't mean it everybody else is.
So, again - what is not working for you? How is the browser broken? And you have instability? Like it's crashing? I would totally report those issues to support so they can get fixed. And I'm not experiencing any of those things, so - am I happy? I wouldn't say that - I think I've shared a few times how disappointed I am in 12's feature set lacking standalone DAW stuff. I was just merely making a point that 12's reception was not much different from 8's. :thumbs_up:
STIM wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Other than Algoritm or Friction, Reason's synths could appear quite dated to a younger user so making a modern looking (and sounding) synth will help to bring new users in.
Uhhh... Europa and Grain are perfectly modern (and incredible sounding).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

deigm

10 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
10 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Takes ~5 seconds to load favorites list's. With roughly 60 samples in there that is a substantial amount of time compared to the old browser, which was instant.
EnochLight wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Weird, I have more than 60 samples in some Favorites - I'll have to test how long it takes on my machine. Not at the studio right now so will have to get back to you.
OK, so I'm not finding any measurable difference on my machine between the time that Reason 11 takes and Reason 12 takes for parsing a Favorites file with over 190 samples in it - but neither 11 or 12 is instant for me. Here's Reason 11:

And here's Reason 12:

I didn't time them with a stopwatch, but my non-scientific estimate looks to be roughly the same for the two. Yours takes substantially longer? I mean I get that you don't care about recursive search (!!!?) and don't use drag and drop, but I'd be interested to know why your machine is taking so much longer. Are you Windows or Mac?
Whoa what is going on with that desktop of yours? Trippy :crazy:

EnochLight

10 Sep 2021

deigm wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Whoa what is going on with that desktop of yours? Trippy :crazy:
Always love a good animated wallpaper! ;)

MixerJaexx

10 Sep 2021

From my experience, ironically, performance seems to be worst on computers with fast semi-integrated (Apple M1) and discreet (RTX 2060) GPU’s. I’ve always admired that Reason was a lightweight program that could run on people’s machines smoothly, even if they didn’t have the fastest computers. Right now Reason isn’’t running smoothly with a fast computer.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

jamespember
Reason Studios

11 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
10 Sep 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Just to add some context which may be helpful and even surprising to you: roughly 10x as many users are already using Reason 12 a week after launch as compared to how many were using Reason 11 a week after its launch.
Reason 12 combined.

Arrant
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
10 Sep 2021
So, again - what is not working for you? How is the browser broken? And you have instability? Like it's crashing? I would totally report those issues to support so they can get fixed. And I'm not experiencing any of those things, so - am I happy? I wouldn't say that - I think I've shared a few times how disappointed I am in 12's feature set lacking standalone DAW stuff. I was just merely making a point that 12's reception was not much different from 8's. :thumbs_up:
The browser can't handle the size of my junk :puf_wink: My theory is that the index file is maxed out at 256MB, it isn't growing anymore and it's seemingly random which directories are indexed and which are not. Some directories are indexed and near-instant (but not quite), most are not and I get the "scanning contents" box which takes forever times the number of files in that folder. Searching takes long enough (say 30 seconds and up) to be unusable in a creative flow.
So I can't really use the search because it's too slow, and my folders load infinitely slower than in R11. Yay, nice feature!
Of course I have reported it, I did in the beta even. It's not like things that are reported are instantly fixed you know.

The crashes seem to happen with VST instruments, so if you don't use those maybe you don't feel it. Sure, you may blame the VSTs, but they are the same ones I used in R11 without complaints.
Since RRP can't load VSTs, well do you really think this will be a priority fix?

I would say 8's reception was different. Some uproar about the removed devices, no new devices except for the replacement amps and not many features but like I said I do not remember it being buggy or unstable at launch.
I agree Reason 12 is more impressive when it comes to content, that's why I want to upgrade but I`m being prevented from doing so and I`m not happy about it. Holding on for upates ASAP.

owlymane

11 Sep 2021

As an old time user and fan, but also as a hater since the release of Reason 10, I have to say that I’m really impressed and respected Niklas’ initiative to take his time and write this post.

There’s no shame in companies taking wrong turns, I do believe that in order to succeed you need to fail. But when I see a company that learns from its mistakes in order to improve itself, my old-time loyalty to that company instantly comes back.

That blog post is the best initiative Reason has taken since Reason 9.5. It’s clear, it’s promising, it talks to all audiences INCLUDING old time users. It also encourages people like myself to come back and express my requests.

We need clarity, we need a healthy communication. We request features because we want the DAW to improve. So thank you Niklas for that opportunity and for the time you’ve put to write that post.

For the first time since Reason 9.5, I feel that Reason will impress us again.

I have created a new post where we will put all out sequencer features for Niklas and his team to read: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7524641

For the people who need improvements in the mixer and rack, please create your threads and let Niklas and his team know that we are ready to express ourselves.

We want Reason to shine again !

Creativemind

11 Sep 2021

There are a lot of effects missing as stock in Reason:- Exciter, Waveshaper, Transient Shaper (yes I know there's one in Kong but not standalone), De-Esser (not interested in Combinators), Metering Tool, Clip Distortion, Multiband Compressor, Saturator, Test Oscillator and Vectorscope / Goniometer. As for Saturation and Clip Distortion though, they could just update Scream and put those 2 into there along with other things.

Creativemind

11 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
10 Sep 2021

Reason 12 combined.
A week after 11's launch then, might not be comparible to a week after 12's launch then if you're comparing both the RRP and daw together. There's bound to be loads more people using the RRP now compared to then, due to the fact that a week after 11's launch isn't long enough for people to a) decide they want to learn a whole new daw with the plug-in or b) Have the money or time to actually do it, so the RRP users a week after launch will probably be considerably lower. You could argue, that it doesn't matter because if they aren't using one, they're probably using the other. Hope that made sense lol! There was also no 3 months for $3 thing then either that might alter things.

helmutson

11 Sep 2021

MixerJaexx wrote:
10 Sep 2021
From my experience, ironically, performance seems to be worst on computers with fast semi-integrated (Apple M1) and discreet (RTX 2060) GPU’s. I’ve always admired that Reason was a lightweight program that could run on people’s machines smoothly, even if they didn’t have the fastest computers. Right now Reason isn’’t running smoothly with a fast computer.
I have the Macmini M1. Everything is running very smooth and fast here, but I don't use VST plugins, only REs ...

alipi

11 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
That said, of course we are aware that R12 has some stability issues and bugs, which we are focusing on squashing as we speak. We hope to deliver that to you all as soon as we possibly can!
Hello James, Just one note from my point of view. I wouldn't call the half (or 2/3) finished HD feature in the release "bugs". It's great that it's being finished now and I don't have to pay extra for it, but to me bugs are unknown or hard to trigger issues. You could have given all license owners free access to the beta the few more weeks/months you needed to finish the release. With even more testing from real world use-cases compered to R12 beta. After release actual bugs would be unknown issues or low priority bugs that users would care a lot less about. Now I paid for HD, after also helping out in the R12 beta, and got not what I expected. I like the iterative approach with many releases, but each release you charge should still be feature complete and with no or minimal new bugs.

EnochLight

11 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Some directories are indexed and near-instant (but not quite), most are not and I get the "scanning contents" box which takes forever times the number of files in that folder.
Yeah, this happens for me as well in many my folders - it's maddening. But it also happens in 11 and earlier for me, and seems roughly the same - I just don't know why Reason can't cache the folder contents once, and leave it at that!? So when I close Reason and open it again and go back to that folder, everything inside - everything - should be indexed, instant recursive, and just "there" until I add new content to that folder or ask Reason to index it again. PLEX figured this out a decade ago, and I've got over 14 terabytes of data being indexed with PLEX! Ugh...
Arrant wrote:
11 Sep 2021
The crashes seem to happen with VST instruments, so if you don't use those maybe you don't feel it.
I can confirm this as well. Just loaded up the latest version of VPS Avenger in the stable channel of Reason 12, browsed some presets, and within seconds it brings Reason to its knees and crashes it to my desktop. Just one instance of Avenger. :shock: This doesn't happen in the current beta, so hopefully the fix will be out soon.
Arrant wrote:
11 Sep 2021
I agree Reason 12 is more impressive when it comes to content, that's why I want to upgrade but I`m being prevented from doing so and I`m not happy about it. Holding on for updates ASAP.
Yeah honestly, sounds like it would be a good idea to wait until the first maintenance update comes out at least. :thumbup:

Eprom

11 Sep 2021

alipi wrote:
11 Sep 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
That said, of course we are aware that R12 has some stability issues and bugs, which we are focusing on squashing as we speak. We hope to deliver that to you all as soon as we possibly can!
Hello James, Just one note from my point of view. I wouldn't call the half (or 2/3) finished HD feature in the release "bugs". It's great that it's being finished now and I don't have to pay extra for it, but to me bugs are unknown or hard to trigger issues. You could have given all license owners free access to the beta the few more weeks/months you needed to finish the release. With even more testing from real world use-cases compered to R12 beta. After release actual bugs would be unknown issues or low priority bugs that users would care a lot less about. Now I paid for HD, after also helping out in the R12 beta, and got not what I expected. I like the iterative approach with many releases, but each release you charge should still be feature complete and with no or minimal new bugs.
Totally agree. A longer period of Beta testing would have allowed the users that were willing to take a risk, the extra time to find and report issues and bugs. But at the same time would have prevented all the negative comments online (which are harmful for Reason Studios)
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

jamespember
Reason Studios

11 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
11 Sep 2021
jamespember wrote:
11 Sep 2021

Reason 12 combined.
A week after 11's launch then, might not be comparible to a week after 12's launch then if you're comparing both the RRP and daw together. There's bound to be loads more people using the RRP now compared to then, due to the fact that a week after 11's launch isn't long enough for people to a) decide they want to learn a whole new daw with the plug-in or b) Have the money or time to actually do it, so the RRP users a week after launch will probably be considerably lower. You could argue, that it doesn't matter because if they aren't using one, they're probably using the other. Hope that made sense lol! There was also no 3 months for $3 thing then either that might alter things.
Absolutely, it's really hard to compare. The reason I bought it up was, I wanted to bring some positivity in here to say that we have had a great first few weeks and that is great for the Reason community and the future of Reason. Again, there is loads more hard work ahead of us as always in terms of fixes and the future roadmap, but I'm pretty pleased that our community is growing and thriving - both amongst new and existing users.
Last edited by jamespember on 11 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

jamespember
Reason Studios

11 Sep 2021

alipi wrote:
11 Sep 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Thanks for your input here, appreciate it and will take it onboard.

MixerJaexx

11 Sep 2021

helmutson wrote:
11 Sep 2021
I have the Macmini M1. Everything is running very smooth and fast here, but I don't use VST plugins, only REs ...
I’m basically the same, I don’t use VST’s… In fact, I’m one of the only people out there that hates them. When it comes to REs, I use them even less than most here, only owning two RE instruments, 2 RE effects and a few RE utilities. 95% of my projects contain Suite devices. And, when on my MacBook Pro M1, the only external hardware I use these days is my Novation Launchpad X.

One difference between my usage and yours may be monitors; I use my MacBook Pro M1’s resolution is “Scaled” on the “Looks like 1280 x 800” option. If you’re Mac Mini, a desktop’s, monitor resolution could be causing a difference.

But, otherwise, it’s clearly obvious on my MacBook Pro M1 that there’s scrolling stutters every once and a while (with only Safari, Messages, Mail, Notes and the newly-rebranded Google Drive running.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

• Information