Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

10 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
10 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
10 Sep 2021

the technical reason is that the code doesn’t exist in earlier versions.
It just so happens that RE directory is embedded inside the Reason 12 application bundle.
okay, so that’s your technical reason. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

joeyluck

10 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
10 Sep 2021
They've artificially and deliberately decided to publish Mimic as an exclusive in Reason 12 to try and make a weak upgrade look more enticing.
I get the desire to have Mimic, but you're looking at this the wrong way. They did not artificially decide to make Mimic exclusive to R12. Mimic was planned as part of R12 from the beginning.

They develop their devices as REs. Every instrument and effect they have made in the past decade has been made with the RE SDK. Just like Europa, Grain, and others. So things they decide to have built-in now, maybe aside from the new Combinator, are made with the RE SDK.

I always thought it wasn't good to sell things separately that are included. That's not a good value for the customer and it causes confusion in the shop. Some like yourself may dislike it today, but then down the road, you'll find yourself able to upgrade and then get something you had already paid for. To me, what they are doing now is the more honest thing. Mimic is a value of R12 as it had been planned to be. It just happened to be built with the RE SDK because that's how they build their instruments.

DaveyG

10 Sep 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Mimic is not a sampler worthy of even the mildest meltdown against society and the corporate evil. It's a shiny sticker on a sub par version release. Load up Kong or Dr. octorex or Grain and do your thing.
Haha. And amen to that brother. :clap: :clap: :clap:

rootwheel

10 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
10 Sep 2021
rootwheel wrote:
10 Sep 2021
They've artificially and deliberately decided to publish Mimic as an exclusive in Reason 12 to try and make a weak upgrade look more enticing.
I get the desire to have Mimic, but you're looking at this the wrong way. They did not artificially decide to make Mimic exclusive to R12. Mimic was planned as part of R12 from the beginning.

They develop their devices as REs. Every instrument and effect they have made in the past decade has been made with the RE SDK. Just like Europa, Grain, and others. So things they decide to have built-in now, maybe aside from the new Combinator, are made with the RE SDK.

I always thought it wasn't good to sell things separately that are included. That's not a good value for the customer and it causes confusion in the shop. Some like yourself may dislike it today, but then down the road, you'll find yourself able to upgrade and then get something you had already paid for. To me, what they are doing now is the more honest thing. Mimic is a value of R12 as it had been planned to be. It just happened to be built with the RE SDK because that's how they build their instruments.
I see what you're saying Joey. Having said that, next time they release an instrument I imagine it will be standalone again. It will be an automatic add to the Companion for Reason+ owners, requiring no further payment, and also a one-off standalone RE purchase required for perpetual license customers.

If they do that, then it begs the question why couldn't Mimic have been that way too? Give your customers options. Yes I may end up paying twice for something in the long run but I should be able to do that if it suits my current needs and situation. The way it stands I've had that choice taken away from me and without any technical basis.

rootwheel

10 Sep 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Apathy, contempt and ridicule. The holy trinity of user group interaction.

Mimic is not a sampler worthy of even the mildest meltdown against society and the corporate evil. It's a shiny sticker on a sub par version release. Load up Kong or Dr. octorex or Grain and do your thing.
Top lad.

EnochLight

10 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
10 Sep 2021
I see what you're saying Joey. Having said that, next time they release an instrument I imagine it will be standalone again. It will be an automatic add to the Companion for Reason+ owners, requiring no further payment, and also a one-off standalone RE purchase required for perpetual license customers.

If they do that, then it begs the question why couldn't Mimic have been that way too? Give your customers options. Yes I may end up paying twice for something in the long run but I should be able to do that if it suits my current needs and situation. The way it stands I've had that choice taken away from me and without any technical basis.
Because they were trying to appease perpetual license users who aren't on R+, so including it in R12 perpetual was a good choice to do just that. You DO have options. Your options are: subscribe to R+, or if you want to stay on a perpetual license, buy the R12 upgrade. What you are asking is for a third option. Good luck with that.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

rootwheel

10 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
10 Sep 2021
rootwheel wrote:
10 Sep 2021

Because they were trying to appease perpetual license users who aren't on R+, so including it in R12 perpetual was a good choice to do just that. You DO have options. Your options are: subscribe to R+, or if you want to stay on a perpetual license, buy the R12 upgrade. What you are asking is for a third option. Good luck with that.
When I bought Reason 11 Suite, I got REs added to my account automatically.

They could have easily used that method with Mimic:
  • Automatically add it as bought to your account if you buy Reason 12 perpetual
  • Or if you're a Reason+ user have it freely available to install via the Companion
  • And if neither of the above, also have it for a standalone price in the shop
It would be in better keeping with Reason's modular nature; for a while you can buy new parts for the older model. On the newer model those new parts comes as standard.

That sounds like a fairer set up to me. My argument is that I know Mimic can fit inside the older model without any modification needed. It isn't incompatible. The manufacturer has just deliberately decided to stop this from happening to make the new model look more exciting in the brochure and also perhaps to try and push their rent-a-car pitch more too.

That's all fine but it doesn't mean I have to respect them for it, it's not a great deal for me when all's said and done. I would like them to do better for existing previous model owners too, that's my point. It's just a shame such a request must fall on deaf ears.

EnochLight

10 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
10 Sep 2021
When I bought Reason 11 Suite, I got REs added to my account automatically.

They could have easily used that method with Mimic
Suite was a one-off product offer that included additional RE's for an additional cost. Not even the same thing here. No one is debating that Mimic was built with the RE SDK and could technically run in Reason 11 - we all know it can. It's clearly a business decision - one that adds value to Reason 12. For the record, Reason 11 is over 2 years old. Software companies make money by selling new licenses and upgrades to the latest version. They made the call to make Mimic part of 12, and I completely understand why. Makes total sense to me from a business standpoint - they're not a charity, they're in business to make money selling shit.
rootwheel wrote:
10 Sep 2021
That's all fine but it doesn't mean I have to respect them for it, it's not a great deal for me when all's said and done. I would like them to do better for existing previous model owners too, that's my point. It's just a shame such a request must fall on deaf ears.
If you recently bought Reason Suite, then sure - maybe not the best deal for you since you literally just upgraded. But if you've had it a while, then 12's value become a bit better - depending on if you see value in the (massively improved - no seriously) Combinator 2, hi-res graphics, faster recursive browser, and Mimic - as well as the other items coming over the next 3-4 months mentioned in the timeline that's planned. And for 11 owners, they got quite a few updates in 11.x releases that added value to 11 Suite owners - and surprisingly some of them were for the standalone DAW. Isn't this doing better for 11 Suite owners?

11.1:

Reason Rack Plugin is now available in AUv2 format
Reason 11.1 and Reason Rack Plugin are now notarized and ready for macOS Catalina
Added keyboard input to Reason Rack Plugin, you can now use Tab, Delete, Enter, cmd/ctrl+z and the arrow keys.
Added Bypass support to Reason Rack Plugin (VST3)

11.2:

New Player device included in Reason and Reason Suite: Beat Map Algorhythmic Drummer
New MIDI Out Device in Reason Rack Plugin, you can now send MIDI notes and MIDI CC to your host
New MIDI Out Device replacing the External MIDI Instrument in Reason standalone
Drag MIDI notes to track from Redrum, Dr OctoRex and Matrix from Reason Rack Plugin
New version of Authorizer with several improvements

11.3-11.3.2:

Reason Rack Plugin is now available to Pro Tools users as an AAX plugin
Reason Rack Plugin for AAX is now available as "Effect" as well, under various effect submenus. With RRP Effect, the empty rack shows the most used effect devices, for quick access.
Added Remote files for Novation Launchkey mk3 series.
Browsing for Default Song Template in the Preferences will now open a regular OS file browser.
It's now possible to create a Player in a new rack by dragging and dropping it onto a rack divider.

11.3.3:

Skip button at plugin scanning now skips only one plugin instead of all remaining plugins
New “Enable All” button in Manage Plugins to re-enable all failed plugins for scan on restart

11.3.4:

Updated version of Beat Map (included in Reason & Reason Suite)
Two brand new maps, Arctic and Tharsis
A number of new device patches and Combinator style patches, using the new maps
Three quick buttons for setting Reset Step to 16, 32 or 64. These are especially useful when the maps play long, complex rhythms. Restrain the beat by selecting 16, and play a variation or fill by briefly selecting 64
Default value for Reset Step changed to 32

11.3.9:

Feature: Shift+doubleclick on note in Edit mode selects that note + all following notes until end of clip
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

10 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
09 Sep 2021

I would buy Reason 12 but I can't run it! It requires Windows 10 or macOS 10.13. I have macOS 10.11 and can't run higher.

This argument can go back and forth forever so how about an actual possible solution?

The harsh truth is that you're 5 operating systems behind the current one, so it was bound that something would eventually be incompatible. Rule of thumb when possible is to be 2-3 OS behind max.

That said, depending on how old your mac is, you can still update it even though Apple doesn't support it. I did this up until a few years ago with a 2006 Mac Pro and was able to run Yosemite (10.10) on it with no issues. And it's not very complicated to do.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/insta ... c-3654960/

Then, problem solved! You can just buy Reason 12 for only $30 more than what they would've likely charged for Mimic had they released it separately.

MannequinRaces

10 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
10 Sep 2021
MannequinRaces wrote:
10 Sep 2021
^^^^^ This guy, lol. Give it up man. Upgrade or fade into the background. This is how software and hardware work. It’s called planned obsolescence. :)
:lol:

I mean, I feel their pain - I'm on a computer that's approaching a decade old and still haven't pulled the trigger to buy a new machine. But, I'm fortunate that on Windows these sort of software issues are extremely rare these days. That said, if Reason 12 didn't run on my computer because my hardware/OS combo couldn't handle it, I wouldn't campaign for an RE I wanted to be sold separately under (an inaccurate comparison of) inclusivity - I'd freak'n go out and buy a new machine! Or wait. Whatev's. It's only stuff.
I feel their pain also. I’m not on 12 yet because I need to update my Mac OS and my aging computer is getting long in the tooth, like a lot of people. At this point might as well wait for M1 support and decide after R12 is a bit more mature. You won’t see me campaigning for this nonsense though of breaking things out of code just to appease the minority group with aging hardware / software. That’s just entertaining silly talk at this point.

rootwheel

10 Sep 2021

Never mind, I've found Serato Sample VST.

Even though Serato states the system requirements as being this:

macOS Mojave 10.14
macOS Catalina 10.15
macOS Big Sur 11

(which is higher than Reason 12 is asking!) I decided to just take a chance and download the demo - and lo and behold the VST works great on El Capitan Reason 11.

It's only $99 and does everything I wanted from Mimic, with the only exception being I can't drag and drop directly from the Reason Browser and ReFills but I can easily work around that by importing via a drag, drop and bounce clip to disk from the sequencer first.

The CPU usage is amazingly low in polyphonic mode too, I thought it would be really high given that's been one of the main complaints I've read about Mimic in advanced mode.

Anyway that's $99 I could have sent Reason Studios' way that they've missed out on.

So long, and thanks for all the apathy, contempt and ridicule.

MannequinRaces

10 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Builds character. Enjoy Serato!

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Never mind, I've found Serato Sample VST.

Even though Serato states the system requirements as being this:

macOS Mojave 10.14
macOS Catalina 10.15
macOS Big Sur 11

(which is higher than Reason 12 is asking!) I decided to just take a chance and download the demo - and lo and behold the VST works great on El Capitan Reason 11.

It's only $99 and does everything I wanted from Mimic, with the only exception being I can't drag and drop directly from the Reason Browser and ReFills but I can easily work around that by importing via a drag, drop and bounce clip to disk from the sequencer first.

The CPU usage is amazingly low in polyphonic mode too, I thought it would be really high given that's been one of the main complaints I've read about Mimic in advanced mode.

Anyway that's $99 I could have sent Reason Studios' way that they've missed out on.

Look, if there's one thing you should learn from now that could save you the most hassle in the future.

Use the right tool for the job.

If you need something like Serato, just get Serato.

I've been using Reason for nearly 20 years, but I started out with Cubase and for some years was using ProTools and sometimes Logic at the studio (this was before Record).

It's nice when you can do everything inside of an integrated system, and Reason has a hell of a lot of it. But before we got VST support (and I wasn't too keen on ReWire), I'd sometimes do the VST parts in another DAW and just import the audio.

Don't waste your time trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Reason is first and foremost a virtual rack with one hell of a lightweight DAW. It's why it works so well as a VST plugin - it's so easy to build your own effects chains that does exactly what you want. Works great for instruments too.

But don't try to force it.

Do you see guitarists refusing to use anything but the Gibson amp? No. They usually have a massive assortment of amps, guitars, strings, picks and pedals, which they will use according to the task at hand, or at random.

Sometimes you just need a looper to record whatever comes out. Sometimes you need to be able to edit the MIDI or audio.

But don't waste your time trying to force square pegs into round holes.

EnochLight

10 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Never mind, I've found Serato Sample VST.. It's only $99 and does everything I wanted from Mimic, with the only exception being I can't drag and drop directly from the Reason Browser and ReFills
And you also can't save any samples you load into Serato Sample, embedded in the VST - so don't lose them samples! :D Full disclosure: I've owned Serato Sample since release.
rootwheel wrote:
10 Sep 2021
:shock: Enjoy Serato Sample, and its tiny GUI/UX that can't be zoomed!

Jackjackdaw

11 Sep 2021

You can't save samples embedded in Reason patches either unless it's part of a project .

rootwheel

11 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Don't waste your time trying to fit square pegs into round holes.
That's my whole creative process.

rootwheel

11 Sep 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
11 Sep 2021
You can't save samples embedded in Reason patches either unless it's part of a project .
True. Serato does work nicely in terms of sample files and Reason songs. If a sample gets moved or deleted, then when reopening the song Serato prompts you to relocate it on your drive. I'm just storing them in a folder alongside the Reason song file. Works well for me. Would have preferred to have been able to do everything natively with Props new sampler inside Reason 11 but let's not open that can of worms again - it clearly won't get me anywhere with you lot.

Anyway, thanks again everyone, it's been interesting to find out just how you see the world...

EnochLight

11 Sep 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
11 Sep 2021
rootwheel wrote:
11 Sep 2021
True. Serato does work nicely in terms of sample files and Reason songs. If a sample gets moved or deleted, then when reopening the song Serato prompts you to relocate it on your drive.
Yeah, you have to be extremely intentional with your sample storage and organization with Serato - no matter which DAW you use - because there's no way to embed. With any sampler in Reason (native or RE), all samples are embedded in the Project, which saves you from ever losing your Project samples (and makes sharing said Projects during collab a lot more easier).

Everyone sees the world differently. No big deal.

GRIFTY

11 Sep 2021

Man this whole forum is A. dead and B. unbelievably toxic lol

rootwheel

11 Sep 2021

GRIFTY wrote:
11 Sep 2021
:clap:

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

GRIFTY wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Thats jus becuz ur a reasons fanboiiii.

#VitriolTillIDie #YOLO

soroc sosta

11 Sep 2021

Does anyone know if Mimic has automated random slicing?
Randomized slicing (chops) that are not bound by beats or peaks.
Thanks.

EnochLight

12 Sep 2021

GRIFTY wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Serious question: how so? I’ve seen a few people here post this place has become toxic, yet no one has dedcribed how.

Also, dead? Really? :shock:

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
12 Sep 2021
GRIFTY wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Serious question: how so? I’ve seen a few people here post this place has become toxic, yet no one has dedcribed how.

Also, dead? Really? :shock:
The place hasn't become toxic, but I do sense a slight increase in persistently antagonistic characters appearing recently.

Usually such people quickly break enough rules to be banned (and one or two eventually did), but now it's a bit more subtle

EnochLight

12 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
12 Sep 2021
The place hasn't become toxic, but I do sense a slight increase in persistently antagonistic characters appearing recently.

Usually such people quickly break enough rules to be banned (and one or two eventually did), but now it's a bit more subtle
This I can totally agree with. We’ve had quite a few “new” users appear here in the last month that are clearly too comfortable around here, which almost always suggests it’s someone we banned before, or an existing forum member being crafty about creating another account. It’s very easy to tell from how they post. After someone gets banned so many times, they start to learn how to skirt the rules. We have ways of permanently banning but it’s only effective to a certain degree.

We’ll try to stay vigilant. As long as our long time forum members keep reporting posts and help steer some of our more “bipolar” members who have a breakdown, it helps a great deal. :thumbup:

• Information