Reason Studios shares their roadmap (September 7, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

10 Sep 2021

PeterP wrote:
09 Sep 2021
I want an updated set of basic effects. The current eqs and compressors are all old and of the "use your ears not your eyes" style. I want something more like FabFilter Pro series with much better UI.
I think they should just update the mixer and Spectrum EQ. To get 'round the only 4 bands thing and for backwards compatibility, what about a switchable EQ panel where you can switch from 4 bands to 8 bands to 12? then the filters are 12dB per octave, have selections for 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 84 and 96. Then the Spectrum EQ - have multiple openable at once, display more than 1 spectogram at once, being able to play the cut or boost individually, saveable settings and label the frequency sections at the top, bass, low mids, high mids, presence and treble / high frequencies. Even also have the keys that represent the frequencies like FL Studio does. Would also be good if when you moved through the EQ sections, they lit up like Logic's EQ does so you can clearly see the bands.
EQ's.jpg
EQ's.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

10 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
09 Sep 2021
I wouldn't exactly call the reworked browser fast, faster than it was yes but it still feels slightly sluggish at times. **A fundamental feature that made browsing easy (ie CTRL + LEFT/RIGHT to go back and forward) This only works when it wants to.
Yeah, the browser is still taking a while on my comp (and it's not an old comp 18 months old (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6 core 3.4ghz processor with 16gb RAM). To open up the Desktop - 3 seconds). Loading a sample into Mimic, well, seems to be working fine now but sometimes the screen goes a white shading and it takes 5 or 6 seconds load a sample in.

Is this normal behaviour too, it won't let me widen / extend out the browser on 180% zoom (ok on 160% or less) on a W10 comp?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Eprom

10 Sep 2021

Shadoww wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Eprom wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Maybe it's me, but you could also read that statement as "Reason 12 wasn't ready yet, but we released it anyway and now you have to wait for months untill we are finished" 😬
Totally agree. I have paid for a beta. Rush released. Unfinished until January 2022. Speaks volumes that, in less than a week after the official release, the CEO has to step in with this blog. Yikes, sales must be bad. :(
My thoughts exactly.
In the 20 years that I have been using Reason I never seen so many complaints about an update as now. And i'm sure Reason Studios have noticed that too.
This blog post smells like "damage control"

(Disclaimer: I am still a big fan of Reason and use it almost every day, but I call it as I see it)
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

AttenuationHz

10 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
10 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
09 Sep 2021
I wouldn't exactly call the reworked browser fast, faster than it was yes but it still feels slightly sluggish at times. **A fundamental feature that made browsing easy (ie CTRL + LEFT/RIGHT to go back and forward) This only works when it wants to.
Yeah, the browser is still taking a while on my comp (and it's not an old comp 18 months old (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6 core 3.4ghz processor with 16gb RAM). To open up the Desktop - 3 seconds). Loading a sample into Mimic, well, seems to be working fine now but sometimes the screen goes a white shading and it takes 5 or 6 seconds load a sample in.

Is this normal behaviour too, it won't let me widen / extend out the browser on 180% zoom (ok on 160% or less) on a W10 comp?
As far as I can tell zoom is completely broken. Should not resize the entire window. Inner windows should only be resized, and if detached separately for the Rack and Mixer. As it is, I don't see myself ever using zoom I have a large enough 32" display. The Sequencer doesn't explicitly need zoom, it already zooms clips etc. It would be good feature as an accessibility option, for user who might be vision impaired, or users on laptops but it is definitely not useful if the browser takes up a lot of the width.

It certainly isn't expected behaviour. If you resize the other edge of the window can you widen the browser, assuming of course you can find the edge (as the window resize pushes the other edge more off the screen)
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Sep 2021

Eprom wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Shadoww wrote:
09 Sep 2021

Totally agree. I have paid for a beta. Rush released. Unfinished until January 2022. Speaks volumes that, in less than a week after the official release, the CEO has to step in with this blog. Yikes, sales must be bad. :(
My thoughts exactly.
In the 20 years that I have been using Reason I never seen so many complaints about an update as now. And i'm sure Reason Studios have noticed that too.
This blog post smells like "damage control"

(Disclaimer: I am still a big fan of Reason and use it almost every day, but I call it as I see it)
Just to add some context which may be helpful and even surprising to you: roughly 10x as many users are already using Reason 12 a week after launch as compared to how many were using Reason 11 a week after its launch.

That said, of course we are aware that R12 has some stability issues and bugs, which we are focusing on squashing as we speak. We hope to deliver that to you all as soon as we possibly can!

I can assure you, becoming a more transparent company which commits to sharing our roadmap and product thinking more openly with our community is something that has been in the works for longer than 10 days.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021

Just to add some context which may be helpful and even surprising to you: roughly 10x as many users are already using Reason 12 a week after launch as compared to how many were using Reason 11 a week after its launch.

That said, of course we are aware that R12 has some stability issues and bugs, which we are focusing on squashing as we speak. We hope to deliver that to you all as soon as we possibly can!

I can assure you, becoming a more transparent company which commits to sharing our roadmap and product thinking more openly with our community is something that has been in the works for longer than 10 days.
Could that be on account of your advertising agency?
The number of new users is a totally different subject from the fact that this release version is full of bugs. Not related. Let’s talk about the bugs first and once we get that out the way we can move on and talk about whatever other subject you want.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

Nothing personal James. You’re one of the good guys.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

stratatonic

10 Sep 2021

I really don't think they would have the data for that. It's probably more because of the 3 months of Reason+ for 3 bucks. And maybe because a lot of users bypassed R11 and bought the sale price for 11 with the included free 12.

EDIT:I'm responding to a deleted ghost post... :(
Last edited by stratatonic on 10 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
10 Sep 2021
I know, no offence taken! We're here to engage with each other and discuss these topics! :thumbup:

Just to clarify my position: I commented above that we are, of course, very aware there are bugs and stability issues, and that we are working on lots of them. I also wanted to explain that, sharing our roadmap publicly on our blog is not a reaction to anything related to Reason 12, it's been in the works for a long time.

And I hope you all know by now, my intention on here is never to "sell the company line" or anything, I'm just here to listen, answer questions where I can and share the company perspective with you all. I try to be as honest and candid as I can on here, and in this case I wanted to share that, despite the obvious issues with R12, we've seen really great numbers. And we have a really healthy mix of new users and existing users upgrading to R12 and also transferring from perpetual to Reason+ too.

So we think that's great news for everyone. Now, back to those bugs :lol: But first, weekend - have a great one everyone!

Zac

10 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
10 Sep 2021
I really don't think they would have the data for that. It's probably more because of the 3 months of Reason+ for 3 bucks. And maybe because a lot of users bypassed R11 and bought the sale price for 11 with the included free 12.

Yes, I think I mentioned an unmentionable. Fair enough if that's the way it's being dealt with, I can understand that.

Eprom

10 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
10 Sep 2021
I know, no offence taken! We're here to engage with each other and discuss these topics! :thumbup:

Just to clarify my position: I commented above that we are, of course, very aware there are bugs and stability issues, and that we are working on lots of them. I also wanted to explain that, sharing our roadmap publicly on our blog is not a reaction to anything related to Reason 12, it's been in the works for a long time.

And I hope you all know by now, my intention on here is never to "sell the company line" or anything, I'm just here to listen, answer questions where I can and share the company perspective with you all. I try to be as honest and candid as I can on here, and in this case I wanted to share that, despite the obvious issues with R12, we've seen really great numbers. And we have a really healthy mix of new users and existing users upgrading to R12 and also transferring from perpetual to Reason+ too.

So we think that's great news for everyone. Now, back to those bugs :lol: But first, weekend - have a great one everyone!
Thank you for responding.
I understand how much work it is to deliver a stable piece of software, but as many of your users are depending on it for their livelihood, my question is this; why didn't you guys wait and release this version in Januari with all the upgrades and bug fixes you promise to do in that blog post????

PS I'm not being negative, it is a genuine question.
Last edited by Eprom on 10 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

EnochLight

10 Sep 2021

Eprom wrote:
10 Sep 2021
In the 20 years that I have been using Reason I never seen so many complaints about an update as now.
You must have been offline and on sabbatical during the Reason 8 launch.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

10 Sep 2021

djsmex wrote:
10 Sep 2021
How about a new player device to manage midi i/o? To do things like split midi channel data over 16 sets of cv/note/gate ports, this simple device could be the answer for the lack of multi-channel midi support. A feature often asked for as part of the sequencer. A feature already available in other DAWs. Something that could be developed by a RE dev. If anyone knows of a player or other rack extension that can do midi channel splitting, please let me know, thanks.
For one, Players only support note data, no sustain pedal, no mod or pitch wheel, etc. So you cannot do a comprehensive MIDI I/O device as a player, but neither can REs deal with note data as Players can. So the reason there is no such device could be because it's not feasible at present.
Selig Audio, LLC

AttenuationHz

10 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
10 Sep 2021

Sale price and the update to 12 was the route I took, not sure of the context to the rest of the comment. Subscribing is okay value but you are stuck in the monthly payment and you will never own it, at least with perpetual you can box it off or skip an update, it has better value and a little safer in the long run. If it was a monthly with a kind of 'rent to own' upgrade scheme it would be a different story, I wouldn't even mind paying a little extra rate monthly compared to an upgrade if that was the case.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Sep 2021

Eprom wrote:
10 Sep 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021

Thank you for responding.
I understand how much work it is to deliver a stable piece of software, but as many of your users are depending on it for their livelihood, my question is this; why didn't you guys wait and release this version in Januari with all the upgrades and bug fixes you promise to do in that blog post????

PS I'm not being negative, it is a genuine question.
No, it's a great question. And the answer is that, we committed to this release date back in May and we really didn't want to keep everyone waiting - we were eager to get out the new Combinator, Mimic and HD. Would we have preferred to have released an initial version without any bugs? Of course, but the new Combinator and HD was almost like an entire refactor of the Reason engine, it was truly a mountain of work and we really were still sprinting towards the finish line at release day to get everything done, and we just didn't have time to squash every bug.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
...and we just didn't have time to squash every bug.
What about the bugs that were reported and acknowledged back when Reason 10 was new? :). Got to admit that was a while ago.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
10 Sep 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
...and we just didn't have time to squash every bug.
What about the bugs that were reported and acknowledged back when Reason 10 was new? :). Got to admit that was a while ago.
Touche :)

But I guess the honest answer is, like any 20+ year old codebase, it's full of quirks and things we'd like to work better, but it all comes down to prioritisation and making choices. I'm sure you've written this a million times on here before, but just so I am in the loop on your own personal opinions - what are the most important top few "legacy" (i.e. longer term) bugs in your mind?

nebraskafire

10 Sep 2021

I understand that and there is a lot of software that is released with a lot of bugs. Cubase for example is always full of bugs and works fine after the hotfix patch. I upgraded to 12 but still use 11 till everything is fixed. :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
10 Sep 2021

But I guess the honest answer is, like any 20+ year old codebase, it's full of quirks and things we'd like to work better, but it all comes down to prioritisation and making choices. I'm sure you've written this a million times on here before, but just so I am in the loop on your own personal opinions - what are the most important top few "legacy" (i.e. longer term) bugs in your mind?
This one. Total pain. Makes me not want to use R12. It was at least bearable in R10 and R11 seeing as how it only affected players in the browser. Unfortunately, instead of getting fixed in R12 it got even worse.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7524465&hilit=Worse
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Arrant
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Eprom wrote:
10 Sep 2021
In the 20 years that I have been using Reason I never seen so many complaints about an update as now.
You must have been offline and on sabbatical during the Reason 8 launch.
Reason 8 was the most underwhelming Reason release of all time.
But that was down to disappointment with the new features, I don't recall it being unusable at launch like R12.

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
10 Sep 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021

This one. Total pain. Makes me not want to use R12. It was at least bearable in R10 and R11 seeing as how it only affected players in the browser. Unfortunately, instead of getting fixed in R12 it got even worse.

Will pass this on to Mattias and co.

EnochLight

10 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Reason 8 was the most underwhelming Reason release of all time.
But that was down to disappointment with the new features, I don't recall it being unusable at launch like R12.
12 is unusable? To be clear - I'm not sure I understand, but that's because it's 100% usable on my almost 10 year old machine. But getting back to Reason 8, noooooo - it was an absolute shit-show. Massive amount of users hating the new browser, hating the new look, raging at the removal of the Line 6 devices that broke all backwards compatibility, and yeah - the underwhelming features at launch. Like it was literally a new coat of paint and the Softube amps that replaced the Line 6 stuff, and that was it.

Just say'n, IMHO Reason 12 blows Reason 8 out of the water using that as a metric.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

hurricane
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
10 Sep 2021

This is one of the most annoying bugs so I submitted a ticket back in the middle of August just to make sure it was on the bug list (ID#101764) hoping it would get squashed before the R12 release, but it seemed like the RS guy who responded had no idea this was even broken. :question:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

stratatonic

10 Sep 2021

hurricane wrote:
10 Sep 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021

This is one of the most annoying bugs so I submitted a ticket back in the middle of August just to make sure it was on the bug list (ID#101764) hoping it would get squashed before the R12 release, but it seemed like the RS guy who responded had no idea this was even broken. :question:
It was brought up 3 months ago as well in Discussions and told to report it as a bug. It is pretty annoying behaviour. :(

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
10 Sep 2021

Thanks :). It was Fredrik I wrote with at the time and he said he'd reported it but it's always good to keep on the devs backs.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information