Reasonistas Silver and Red FX Series Combinators

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

09 Sep 2021

I'm working "under the hood" to ensure the silver and red series combinators have optimal features and performance. Thinking of adding a mix device panel to toggle between signal send and series mode, plus two faders for parallel signal mixing. Feedback and suggestions welcomed.
_____
Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 7.27.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 7.27.54 AM.png (782.82 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
ImageImageImage

nickb523
RE Developer

09 Sep 2021

Looks awesome Noel. :)

Billy+

09 Sep 2021

Reasonistas wrote:
09 Sep 2021
I'm working "under the hood" to ensure the silver and red series combinators have optimal features and performance. Thinking of adding a mix device panel to toggle between signal send and series mode, plus two faders for parallel signal mixing. Feedback and suggestions welcomed.
_____
The way you have those devices hung is the way I've always wanted Reason to actually do it :clap:
I also wanted them to bust out all the kong effects as well...

Loque

09 Sep 2021

Maybe integrate some LFOs or Envelope Shapers or Gate signals or MIDI Gate and Note support (for the filter)...Plenty stuff possible...
Reason12, Win10

deeplink
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2021

Gosh another you beat me too.. beautifully executed.

I'm not sure how you would implement it (maybe a consistent hard panel on the right) for a dry/wet knob to blend in the original signal. Perhaps gain as well. Also HPF/LPF just to the wet signal can really complete the unit and add to its ability.

For routing options, I think some will have their own preferences, but typically there is an option for Distortion post filter.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

arnigretar

09 Sep 2021

Nice!!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

09 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Reasonistas wrote:
09 Sep 2021
_____
The way you have those devices hung is the way I've always wanted Reason to actually do it :clap:
I also wanted them to bust out all the kong effects as well...
Thanks, bud. I started the Kong bust out combi too, but there are limitations that won't allow a fully executed product.

More details here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7524543
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

09 Sep 2021

Thank you all for the positive feedback.
Loque wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Maybe integrate some LFOs or Envelope Shapers or Gate signals or MIDI Gate and Note support (for the filter)...Plenty stuff possible...
Thanks, Loque!. Plenty stuff possible for sure. Some of this will be left to the user's discretion, but let me see what we can cram into standard features.
deeplink wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Gosh another you beat me too.. beautifully executed.

I'm not sure how you would implement it (maybe a consistent hard panel on the right) for a dry/wet knob to blend in the original signal. Perhaps gain as well. Also HPF/LPF just to the wet signal can really complete the unit and add to its ability.

For routing options, I think some will have their own preferences, but typically there is an option for Distortion post filter.
Thanks, deeplink! We have similar ideas I guess. Good suggestions here and will take under consideration as I work out design.
ImageImageImage

Billy+

09 Sep 2021

Yeah it's unfortunate that we still haven't got access to all the controls on all the devices Reason started out quite well but over the years they seem to be missing more and more.

The first thing I did with the new combinator was try to build a tape device using retros tape module but most of the controls can't be accessed - I really wish they would got back through the entire system and fix all controls to be automatable / usable within the combinator.

Despondo
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2021

These look great, but I guess we'd be stuck in the ordering of the device chain, unless we flip and rewire, but then they wouldn't match the graphic. Anyway, I applaud your efforts!

Faastwalker

09 Sep 2021

Cool idea. Excellent work. A nice way to breathe some new life into those original FX devices.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

Hi! thank you for creating this series. Awesome idea and a very useful too! Just my little suggestion as a graphic designer: the Reasonistas logo is too bright (especially the colour Red has too much saturation) and it somehow breaks the skeumorphism. Otherwise, great job!

Reasonistas
RE Developer

11 Sep 2021

Despondo wrote:
09 Sep 2021
These look great, but I guess we'd be stuck in the ordering of the device chain, unless we flip and rewire, but then they wouldn't match the graphic. Anyway, I applaud your efforts!
Yes, unfortunately we can't change the device chain my reordering them in the Combinator. Rewiring is the only option, but as you said, the audio routing wouldn't match the graphic. I'm thinking about the most common order of these device in a chain though and would appreciate advice on this.

In fact, I also designed the MClass FX Series Combinator and that one follows the default chain that comes with Reason, so the routing should appeal to most people.

09 Sep 2021
looks awesome
Thanks. Glad you think so and I happen to agree.... ;)
Faastwalker wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Cool idea. Excellent work. A nice way to breathe some new life into those original FX devices.
Thanks. This is the first think that came to mind when I saw what the new Combinator allows us to do.
Quarmat wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Hi! thank you for creating this series. Awesome idea and a very useful too! Just my little suggestion as a graphic designer: the Reasonistas logo is too bright (especially the colour Red has too much saturation) and it somehow breaks the skeumorphism. Otherwise, great job!
Thanks for your professional opinion. I thought the same thing when I put the logo there, but this is a work in progress and I will find alternative ways to make it look better. Perhaps I'll make the entire folded panel dark grey to avoid the contrast between these colors. Any other suggestions on how to resolve this?
ImageImageImage

Quarmat
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

Reasonistas wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Perhaps I'll make the entire folded panel dark grey to avoid the contrast between these colors. Any other suggestions on how to resolve this?
If it was me, I would keep the original colours, I'd just tone down a bit the logo (and use an alternate palette or monochrome for the Red FX Series). Toning down the absolute value of white by a 10% and lowering the saturation of the red Reasonistas' logo by ~20% will render the logo as if it was actually printed on the rack. If you take a picture of a perfectly white object in a scene and you then measure the white in a software like Photoshop you'll notice that the white object isn't actually white nor 100% bright: this is because ambient light colouring the white and also the object not being exposed directly to a powerful white light makes it a little bit darker.

In the same mindset I would also desaturate and reduce brightness to the fake cables in the front: they are supposed to be hanging in the back of a device that has some widht so thay should not be so bright! Also, I would draw on the cables the projected shadows of the elements in front of them, so they appear more natural and believable.

Have a nice day!

Reasonistas
RE Developer

17 Sep 2021

Quarmat wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Reasonistas wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Perhaps I'll make the entire folded panel dark grey to avoid the contrast between these colors. Any other suggestions on how to resolve this?
If it was me, I would keep the original colours, I'd just tone down a bit the logo (and use an alternate palette or monochrome for the Red FX Series). Toning down the absolute value of white by a 10% and lowering the saturation of the red Reasonistas' logo by ~20% will render the logo as if it was actually printed on the rack. If you take a picture of a perfectly white object in a scene and you then measure the white in a software like Photoshop you'll notice that the white object isn't actually white nor 100% bright: this is because ambient light colouring the white and also the object not being exposed directly to a powerful white light makes it a little bit darker.

In the same mindset I would also desaturate and reduce brightness to the fake cables in the front: they are supposed to be hanging in the back of a device that has some widht so thay should not be so bright! Also, I would draw on the cables the projected shadows of the elements in front of them, so they appear more natural and believable.

Have a nice day!
Thanks for all the great advice. I will try to incorporate what you've suggested to the best of my ability. Cheers!
ImageImageImage

MrBlue

03 Oct 2021

Genius ! :thumbup:

ColdBeast254

03 Oct 2021

This is a very good concept! Where can I download them?😂😂😂 Doing this with the half racks is the right direction! I saw them in use in the combinator livestream and wanted them immediately!

• Information