Listen to this...

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
visheshl

09 Sep 2021

So this is a Sri lankan song which has been going viral here in india, noone understands the language but it's such a sweet song that everyone is loving it.

Different people are taking the hook and making their own versions of this song.
This is the version I like the most.

It's a combination of Sinhalese(Sri Lankan language) and kokborok (north east indian language)

Listen to it a few times, you will be humming the tune all day.

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2021

That intro ❤️

Wee Joe

09 Sep 2021

Cheers, Like this a lot.....Wee Joe.

teddymcw

10 Sep 2021

visheshl wrote:
09 Sep 2021
So this is a Sri lankan song which has been going viral here in india, noone understands the language but it's such a sweet song that everyone is loving it.
Ya this is awesome thanks, wouldn't have discovered it if you hadn't have shared here.

So interesting that there's barely any deviation in the instrumental track the whole way through, the singers fill in so much. Also great, because the simple visual just hows the vocalists flowing and genuinely enjoying being in the music even though they're performing to a world class standard if you will.

visheshl

10 Sep 2021

teddymcw wrote:
10 Sep 2021
visheshl wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Ya this is awesome thanks, wouldn't have discovered it if you hadn't have shared here.

So interesting that there's barely any deviation in the instrumental track the whole way through, the singers fill in so much. Also great, because the simple visual just hows the vocalists flowing and genuinely enjoying being in the music even though they're performing to a world class standard if you will.
Thanks 🙂

visheshl

10 Sep 2021

teddymcw wrote:
10 Sep 2021
visheshl wrote:
09 Sep 2021

Having little or no deviation in the instrumental track kind of works for this particular song, doesn't it ?

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

I can't tell you how many times I've listened to this, but it's inspired me so much. I spent a good hour or two at the piano playing around with this melody and decomposing some of my old songs to see what I could unlock from them.

BTW this is the original by Satheeshan that she covered:

visheshl

10 Sep 2021

Hahaha I had no idea about the original satheeshan track...the video is so cringe, but the melody is amazing

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2021

visheshl wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Actually it's her voice that's the magic in this track
Yes, and the pronunciation.

The melody itself along with the guitar lick in this recording is already pretty golden, but she brought it to life and took it to the next level.

visheshl

11 Sep 2021

Okay so this thing is actually exploding here in india, People are doing complete post portems of this song trying to understand why it's so catchy....

(Turn on cc subtitles if you want to know)

I'm just putting it out here, just letting you know how big a phenomenon this track is turning out to be here in india...

As an Indian I'm obviously obsessed with this track currently...what I'd like to know is, does the song sound as catchy to people outside Asia ? #forScience

guitfnky

11 Sep 2021

it’s alright. sounds like a typical American pop track for the most part, minus some of the instrumentation (and the language, obviously). it’s well-done, but doesn’t really hold my attention. then again, I’m definitely not the target audience here.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

visheshl

11 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
11 Sep 2021
it’s alright. sounds like a typical American pop track for the most part, minus some of the instrumentation (and the language, obviously). it’s well-done, but doesn’t really hold my attention. then again, I’m definitely not the target audience here.
Hmm, that's what I wanted to know. I'm not the target audience either...the song is a Sri Lankan song made for Sri Lankan audience...but strangely indians are obsessing over it...wierd.

Anyway...

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

The lady is what makes the song great. Her voice in combination with the melody. The first 40 seconds (in the first version) are awesome.
It's all good until some dude decides to ruin the song. I wish the dudes in all these versions would just go away and let her do all the singing.

Auryn

11 Sep 2021

Hmmm I gave this a listen expecting some kind of musical revelation but really I don't hear what's special about it. It's nice and pleasant to listen to but certainly not something I would categorize as memorable or catchy.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

visheshl

11 Sep 2021

Auryn wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Hmmm I gave this a listen expecting some kind of musical revelation but really I don't hear what's special about it. It's nice and pleasant to listen to but certainly not something I would categorize as memorable or catchy.
Well, the yohani satheeshan video has got 100 million views, so there's definitely something special about the song. However like I said earlier that something special is only confined to the Indian audience somehow. It sounds catchy to indian people. But not to say Americans or Europeans etc....

visheshl

11 Sep 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
11 Sep 2021
The lady is what makes the song great. Her voice in combination with the melody. The first 40 seconds (in the first version) are awesome.
It's all good until some dude decides to ruin the song. I wish the dudes in all these versions would just go away and let her do all the singing.
True, it would be much better if the lady(yohani) did the entire song by herself.

Jagwah

12 Sep 2021

Yeah really cool song, I like it in the same way I like K pop, if music can just have a modern feel, and some bass, and be uplifting / energizing / fun it does not need us to understand the lyrics, matter of fact I think there's a really cool enjoyment factor to listening to lyrics from another language in a song you can enjoy.

guitfnky

12 Sep 2021

I often prefer listening to music in other languages because bad lyrics can easily ruin an otherwise great song for me.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information