Reason 12 has arrived

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

09 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
09 Sep 2021

Blah blah blah…

And also, Mac OS usage is not the minority. That accolade goes to the 4% 'other'.
Indeed, but Windows remains the majority. That certainly doesn’t make Mac the standard of musicians. ;) Regardless - this is literally all a moot point - official Mac M1 support is coming in a few months. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

tronam

10 Sep 2021

It makes perfect sense that the majority of music hobbyists would be on PC. They’re more widely available at all price points so the barrier to entry is lower. With working professionals I suspect that ratio flips the other way. It’s an important market for audio developers and why you’ll see them bend over backwards to not only support every major macOS release, but continue recompiling for their CPU transitions.

This is probably the most exhaustive list I’ve seen of DAWs and audio plug-ins already rebuilt for native M1:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=556728

It has been far more rapid than I ever expected and once iLok finally releases their protection update, the floodgates will open for most of the remaining holdouts.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Tenbrink

10 Sep 2021

I just want to add my voice to back up musicman691 regarding the removal of opting out of error reports. I am a strong privacy advocate. I closely followed the just recent CSAM debacle from Apple and after the backlash they decided to postpone it (and hopefully cancel it). Having no opt out these days is very out of touch in my opinion. A lot of people value their privacy, even for the tiniest details.

I scimmed through some of the log files and there is some data that I am definitely not comfortable with RS seeing, such as several different file paths in the clear which shows some of my folder structures, computer name, my Windows user name (which they get from C:\users\username...), it's just my first name, but I still don't like it. And if you for example login with a Microsoft account the first time after installing Windows or buying a new PC I think your username will be your Microsoft account e-mail, and I wouldn't be comfortable sharing this with RS (I use a different e-mail for my Reason account). Microsoft does their own share of telemetry collecting in Windows but they have had to do some changes because of EU privacy laws.

EnochLight

10 Sep 2021

tronam wrote:
10 Sep 2021
It makes perfect sense that the majority of music hobbyists would be on PC. They’re more widely available at all price points so the barrier to entry is lower.
Totally agree, as music hobbyists make up the vast majority of the DAW and plugin market (though I'm sure everyone fancies themself a "producer" these days).. :lol:

That KVR list is incredible - a lot of work has gone into it. Once Reason goes native M1, I'd certainly consider picking up a Macbook again. It's been over a decade since I dabbled on OSX.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Aquila

11 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
09 Sep 2021
official Mac M1 support is coming in a few months. :lol:
Now if only Linux support was coming too. That'd free up 95% of my need to run Windows.

EnochLight

11 Sep 2021

Aquila wrote:
11 Sep 2021
EnochLight wrote:
09 Sep 2021
official Mac M1 support is coming in a few months. :lol:
Now if only Linux support was coming too. That'd free up 95% of my need to run Windows.
Man, I think Linux support would be incredible, though I wonder just how many customers would benefit from that? I seriously doubt we'll ever see it, though.

Arrant
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

Tenbrink wrote:
10 Sep 2021
I just want to add my voice to back up musicman691 regarding the removal of opting out of error reports. I am a strong privacy advocate. I closely followed the just recent CSAM debacle from Apple and after the backlash they decided to postpone it (and hopefully cancel it). Having no opt out these days is very out of touch in my opinion. A lot of people value their privacy, even for the tiniest details.

I scimmed through some of the log files and there is some data that I am definitely not comfortable with RS seeing, such as several different file paths in the clear which shows some of my folder structures, computer name, my Windows user name (which they get from C:\users\username...), it's just my first name, but I still don't like it. And if you for example login with a Microsoft account the first time after installing Windows or buying a new PC I think your username will be your Microsoft account e-mail, and I wouldn't be comfortable sharing this with RS (I use a different e-mail for my Reason account). Microsoft does their own share of telemetry collecting in Windows but they have had to do some changes because of EU privacy laws.
If what you're seeing here is being sent to RS (which is not necessarily how it works) I am uncomfortable with it, and more importantly they are breaking the law.
I work quite a bit with data protection and it's a part of my job to know the rules imposed by GDPR. For a start you have to inform the registrants of what you are registering about them.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
11 Sep 2021
If what you're seeing here is being sent to RS (which is not necessarily how it works) I am uncomfortable with it, and more importantly they are breaking the law.
I work quite a bit with data protection and it's a part of my job to know the rules imposed by GDPR. For a start you have to inform the registrants of what you are registering about them.
Only if it contains personal data or is pseudo anonymous, but not if it's anonymous data.

This is standard stuff in software. Menu item clicks. Logs of when devices were created, moved and destroyed, etc.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2021

Tenbrink wrote:
10 Sep 2021

That's a log file.

That's the sort of thing that shows up in log files and crash dumps.

Log files that are stored on the HDD give no indication whatsoever of analytic usage data that is sent back. They could have similar entries (but with paths removed when sent over the wire). Or it could be tracking something completely different.

Shadoww

11 Sep 2021

I’m beginning to love the HD graphics now I’m on a 4K monitor. Moving between 140% zoom when doing sound design in the rack and then down to 110% when composing in mixer/sequencer. I now appreciate the intricate task of uprez everything that has been done. But one thing I noticed is that when I open VSTs, some of them are really small. And can’t be rescaled in Windows 10 by resizing the floating window. And it’s not just old VSTs - all my SoundToys VSTs are tiny!? Does anyone know if this is something RS are still working on?
Last edited by Shadoww on 11 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

11 Sep 2021

Shadoww wrote:
11 Sep 2021
I’m beginning to love the HD graphics now I’m on a 4K monitor. Moving between 140% zoom when doing sound design in the rack and then down to 110% when composing in mixer/sequencer. I now appreciate the intricate task of uprez everything that has been done. But one thing I noticed is that when I open VSTs, they are really small. And can’t be rescaled in Windows 10 by resizing the floating window. And it’s not just old VSTs - all my SoundToys VSTs are tiny!? Does anyone know if this is something RS are still working on?
How shall RS change the code of a VST?

The Soundtoys stuff would have fit nicely in the rack when Reason was not HD and Soundtoys is quiet since a long time. I wouldnt expect too much in the next years, especially not HD graphics.

Same for a lot of other VSTs and often you need to pay again.

Well, i got all my RE in HD now for free :-)
Reason12, Win10

Shadoww

11 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Shadoww wrote:
11 Sep 2021
I’m beginning to love the HD graphics now I’m on a 4K monitor. Moving between 140% zoom when doing sound design in the rack and then down to 110% when composing in mixer/sequencer. I now appreciate the intricate task of uprez everything that has been done. But one thing I noticed is that when I open VSTs, some of them are really small. And can’t be rescaled in Windows 10 by resizing the floating window. And it’s not just old VSTs - all my SoundToys VSTs are tiny!? Does anyone know if this is something RS are still working on?

The Soundtoys stuff would have fit nicely in the rack when Reason was not HD and Soundtoys is quiet since a long time. I wouldnt expect too much in the next years, especially not HD graphics.

I’m not bothered about them being in HD. I just would like the floating window to be scalable so I can have it bigger. The resolution doesn’t need to be sharp just bigger on screen so they are useable. Some VST (which aren’t in HD) are scalable in R12 by dragging the corner of the floating window and some are not. So thought it was a reason thing.

Loque

11 Sep 2021

Shadoww wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
11 Sep 2021

I’m not bothered about them being in HD. I just would like the floating window to be scalable so I can have it bigger. The resolution doesn’t need to be sharp just bigger on screen so they are useable. Some VST (which aren’t in HD) are scalable in R12 by dragging the corner of the floating window and some are not. So thought it was a reason thing.
Thats not possible. The window code is done by the VST itself.

There would be some workaround, which would open the doors for a lot of trouble with the million individual implementations of the UI code of the VSTs
Reason12, Win10

Shadoww

11 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Shadoww wrote:
11 Sep 2021

There would be some workaround, which would open the doors for a lot of trouble with the million individual implementations of the UI code of the VSTs
Ah ok. That’s a pity. Some of them are ridiculously small in comparison to everything else (but not all of them). I use lots of VSTs so this will slow my workflow down a bit :(

Tenbrink

11 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
11 Sep 2021
That's a log file.

That's the sort of thing that shows up in log files and crash dumps.

Log files that are stored on the HDD give no indication whatsoever of analytic usage data that is sent back. They could have similar entries (but with paths removed when sent over the wire). Or it could be tracking something completely different.
Ok. But if they give "no indication whatsoever", what is the actual purpose of the log files?
Also, does RS provide any information on what they actually send? Because that is the kind of transparency I would like to see.

Tenbrink

11 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
11 Sep 2021

Interesting. Afaik RS only properly informs what information they are registering when you create an account, regarding GDPR. The only information I can find about the error reports is here:

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... this-mean-

And it's pretty vague:

"error reports, statistics of what you use in the program, as well as information about your computer, such as the amount of RAM you have, screen resolution and OS version". The wording "such as" to means that it's just examples and could include more.

It's also not updated for R12 because it still says "If you change your mind about sending error reports and statistics you can always change the setting in Reason’s Preferences."

rootwheel

11 Sep 2021

Tenbrink wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Arrant wrote:
11 Sep 2021

Interesting. Afaik RS only properly informs what information they are registering when you create an account, regarding GDPR. The only information I can find about the error reports is here:

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... this-mean-

And it's pretty vague:

"error reports, statistics of what you use in the program, as well as information about your computer, such as the amount of RAM you have, screen resolution and OS version". The wording "such as" to means that it's just examples and could include more.

It's also not updated for R12 because it still says "If you change your mind about sending error reports and statistics you can always change the setting in Reason’s Preferences."
Not wanting to go all conspiracy theory here, but perhaps Verdane Capital said they want more ROI and, given data is the new oil, they pressured Reason Studios to be more ruthless with their in-app data slurping...

Or perhaps RS just accidentally deleted that option from the Preferences? :)

AttenuationHz

11 Sep 2021

It really doesn't matter what type of data it stores or sends, it is data relating to an individual, specifically the individuals patterns and behaviours in the Software. The law is an individuals favour and is pretty clear, if an individual wants to opt-in then the means to do so have to be provided, the default is opt-out. Reason Studios stores "anonymous and/or in pseudonymized" data, they do not provide the means to opt-out and any individual using Reason is opt-in (once you install Reason 12 you agree to the terms and are opt-in) if you want RS to remove and destroy your data they can still hold it for 1 year. It really has nothing to do with being paranoid or susceptible to conspiracies. It is the Law!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

dubV

11 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
09 Sep 2021
dubV wrote:
08 Sep 2021
I upgraded last week. Now I am experiencing significant performance issues with R12 when I change the Application Zoom setting. By any chance, has anyone else experienced this?
Can you share more about exactly what you’re doing? What’s your machine specs, GPU, etc? When you load any device in R12 at any particular zoom level for the first time, Reason has to cache the hi-res assets one time only, but that shouldn’t take more than a second.
Windows 10 Home
Processor AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.90 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

jamesa

11 Sep 2021

The new graphics are so nice to look at. I am enjoying looking at all of the old devices in hi rez. Combinator 2 is a real pleasure to use. It reminds me that well-designed software doesn't need a manual to figure out.

Shadoww

12 Sep 2021

Shadoww wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
11 Sep 2021

Ah ok. That’s a pity. Some of them are ridiculously small in comparison to everything else (but not all of them). I use lots of VSTs so this will slow my workflow down a bit :(
Just found out this was already discussed here…and a temporary solution found (on windows at least)…

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7524429

EnochLight

12 Sep 2021

jamesa wrote:
11 Sep 2021
The new graphics are so nice to look at. I am enjoying looking at all of the old devices in hi rez. Combinator 2 is a real pleasure to use. It reminds me that well-designed software doesn't need a manual to figure out.
In the 20 years that I’ve been using Reason, I’ve never read the manual, and rarely refer to it. It’s the kind of software I’ve always been able to figure out on my own - or watch a YouTube video. :lol:

jamesa

12 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
12 Sep 2021
jamesa wrote:
11 Sep 2021
In the 20 years that I’ve been using Reason, I’ve never read the manual, and rarely refer to it. It’s the kind of software I’ve always been able to figure out on my own - or watch a YouTube video. :lol:
Yes, that's one of the charms of Reason. I've referred to the manual a few times and I must say, it is very well-written, but I rarely need to refer to it.

groggy1

12 Sep 2021

jamesa wrote:
12 Sep 2021
EnochLight wrote:
12 Sep 2021

Yes, that's one of the charms of Reason. I've referred to the manual a few times and I must say, it is very well-written, but I rarely need to refer to it.
+1

It's so bizarre that Reason has a GREAT manual, probably one of the best I've ever seen. And yet, it's one of those apps where you rarely need it because most things are relatively intuitive (not a ton of nested menus, most functionality is done graphically)

On a different note: I've really been enjoying Combinator2. I've been using it to create a "performance" view on the front-panel for specific VSTs. It's just so cool...
One of my favorite tricks: If I create a Combinator patch that uses 2 different synths (with a mixer to set balance), I *LOVE* how I can control the balance/levels right on the front panel! What kind of crazy amazing software is this?!

doze

12 Sep 2021

Really the windows people are playing games in their down time. The Mac people are doing surveys. ;)

• Information