Auto-generate VST thumbnail on launch

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
tronam

06 Sep 2021

Anyone else with 100+ VST plugins baffled by the lack of at least some kind of automatic thumbnail creation?
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Billy+

06 Sep 2021

I've got a few but definitely wouldn't want Reason to launch them all just to create thumbnails, the way it currently works is fine with me it just one click once you are using it.

Very simple solution that works :thumbup:

rgdaniel

06 Sep 2021

VST with no thumbnail means I haven't used that one yet. Easy to spot what's new. So yeah, I'm fine with current behaviour.

tronam

06 Sep 2021

Those are certainly valid points, but VSTs need to be scanned anyway before they can be used in Reason and it would be nice if there was an option to have it generate a UI thumbnail during that process. I've always found the ocean of blank placeholders a bit clunky. Stuff like this shouldn't feel tedious.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

StephenHutchinson

06 Sep 2021

I find the current method pretty good. As mentioned "rgdaniel" noted, it's easier to spot the new VST installed. Also, you get the chance to set up the VST in a particular way before you take the screenshot. Some VSTs just look like a blank canvas before you make changes to parameters or even play a them, and while you're playing them, you can quickly hit the screenshot button... and voila.. a nice custom thumbnail. I've only come across one VST that for some reason isn't able to show a screenshot, and that's "Glitch2" by Illformed.

Glitch2 by Illformed.png
Glitch2 by Illformed.png (8.01 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

Loque

06 Sep 2021

This was a highly requested feature when VST support came out. PPL habe hundreds or thousands of VSTs and it would be annoying to create thumbnails for each.

I guess the problem would be, that for each the GUI must be launched, which would take ages to create the thumbnails. And some require interaction before you can use its close turn. It's already a pain that some show dialogs while loading and blocking the DAW and that is an absolute no-go!

So i guess the current solution is not the best, but ideal atm.
Reason12, Win10

Heater

07 Sep 2021

I’m amazed that people have hundreds of VSTs.

diminished
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2021

Heater wrote:
07 Sep 2021
A fairly easy accomplishment, given how many freebies are out there alone. The Melda Free bundle and the Dead Duck stuff gets you like what, halfway there?

Anyway, this is not a either/or type situation - just give people the OPTION to autogenerate them if they want. But once again, it's RS we're dealing with.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

tc13

09 Sep 2021

Heater wrote:
07 Sep 2021
And here I am and cant for a second understand why anyone would even want to use a VST in Reason??? :puf_bigsmile:

(I have plenty of them but I have never for a second even thought of open any of them up in Reason, or RRP in any other DAW for that matter...)

huggermugger

09 Sep 2021

tc13 wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Heater wrote:
07 Sep 2021
And here I am and cant for a second understand why anyone would even want to use a VST in Reason??? :puf_bigsmile:

(I have plenty of them but I have never for a second even thought of open any of them up in Reason, or RRP in any other DAW for that matter...)
The introduction of VSTs opened a whole new world for me in Reason. I have plenty of VST instruments and effects that I really like to use, and not only do they work in Reason's environment, but there's a shitload of CV control possible too. VST and Players were the best thing that could have happened to Reason, for my purposes.

doze

09 Sep 2021

Also nice that you can pick the view that gets snapshot'd... So if you don't like the default load of the VST that doesn't have to be your thumbnail.

• Information