Reason Studios shares their roadmap (September 7, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
flexluthor

08 Sep 2021

Can we get the notes in the piano roll like in ableton live? It’s a pain to trace a not all the way back to a key to see what it is. It’s just a nice quality of life feature to be able to see if something is A# just by reading it on the piano roll note

Creativemind

08 Sep 2021

deeplink wrote:
08 Sep 2021
- Sequencer - Audition audio clips in sequencer with Speaker Tool
My god, there is someone who wants that feature apart from just me. You're the first person I've seen apart from me post that.

You can use the speaker tool in pitch edit on the individual pitch parts, you can use it on the individual slices in slice edit, you can use it on comp parts in comp mode but numerous times I've wanted to be able to use it on a selected clip part in the sequencer. So you can play various parts, not just the part being played with the song position pointer. Comes in handy. The speaker tool when available in the other 3 modes not only works by clicking the speaker and pressing the part but you can use the "I" key too. So in the sequencer situation, you'd only need click the clip and hit I but obviously use the speaker tool if you so wished too.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

QVprod

08 Sep 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
08 Sep 2021
JRRC wrote:
08 Sep 2021
This statement goes to show what a convoluted mess its all become.
Simultaneously Reason Studios needs to add value and attract spend from DAW users, from RRP users and from R+ users while still offering maintenance on current offerings.
Instead of prioritising those features and requests which will cover most users and bring them along each step they instead throw out features which will satisfy one group over others. This is then all disguised by telling us they are levelling up the rack.
R+ users will become a greater distraction, it will always require constant attention because of the desire for constant shiny new toys.
I tend to agree with this feeling. They keep adding stuff that needs more stuff doing to it. Standalone had a bunch of glaring omissions, they introduce RRP that is very much a v.1.0 release with room for improvement. Then R+ which has a USP that requires a constant drip feed of new content. Now instead of one product that needed work they have three.

But the roadmap acknowledges the work that needs doing and apparently they have a bigger pot of cash to throw at it so maybe the expansion is working in their, and our favour.
To be fair, it’s really only 1 product. R+ is just Reason and REs. Same as they’ve been doing. The packs are made by 3rd parties, not RS staff as of now. The RRP is just a slimmed down version of Reason. It’s all basically the same product minus integrations.

QVprod

08 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021

Not looking for video editing 🙂
You might not be but as soon as video syncing gets added then others will start making threads requesting more features.

I'm not looking for video syncing :thumbup:
No one’s gonna be looking for video editing out of Reason. Simple playback is more than enough. Video sync is a feature specifically for composing music or syncing audio to video. Same way no one is composing or recording music in video editing programs but they include audio and even load VST fx. Plenty of DAWs have this as a standard feature; Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Studio One… heck I think even GarageBand had it at one point if not still.

deigm

08 Sep 2021

I'd rather not do video support it doesn't seem like what reason is about to me. But perhaps an update to the RE SDK would allow third party devs to make devices that host video while also expanding the possibilities for audio RE devices. Seems like a win-win to me.

Creativemind

08 Sep 2021

Carpainter wrote:
08 Sep 2021
As far as new devices are concerned, what I'd like more than anything is an updated version of Thor with a focus on improving its analog emulation and expanding its FM synthesis capabilities. It doesn't have to be on the level of Diva or Algoritm, but the base package is sorely in need of updated virtual analog and FM synthesis.
Even just being able to ctrl click and drag an oscillator type onto an empty slot would be great as well as what you suggested + a nurse rex (imagine putting a rex loop into Thor) and nn-nano oscillator types, more wavetables, another filter type and more fx inc unison, a randomize option in the mod matrix.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Billy+

08 Sep 2021

QVprod wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021

You might not be but as soon as video syncing gets added then others will start making threads requesting more features.

I'm not looking for video syncing :thumbup:
No one’s gonna be looking for video editing out of Reason. Simple playback is more than enough. Video sync is a feature specifically for composing music or syncing audio to video. Same way no one is composing or recording music in video editing programs but they include audio and even load VST fx. Plenty of DAWs have this as a standard feature; Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Studio One… heck I think even GarageBand had it at one point if not still.
That all sounds interesting especially the term standard feature,

Maybe we should get some standard midi pass through and routing features first that's all I'm saying
Maybe we should get some more automatable CMBv2 selectable controls from props devices first

Either way all I see happening is requests for more than just sync and without covering the standard features for creating music why would the community start pushing for something that's already available in a whole host of applications that are probably already in the hands of those serious about needing the feature?

chimp_spanner

08 Sep 2021

Like, I definitely want video playback, and need it for work. BUT, it’s not high on the list for me. If RS invite suggestions, they’re gonna get a whoooole bunch of outlandish stuff. Some people are gonna want a whole-ass video editor. Some people want euro-rack. Some people want FL’s piano roll. Some people want Live’s clips and scenes. The things we actually need are way less glamorous. There’s definitely a strong case for video but *not* before the half-dozen most frequently requested things. Which are arguably pretty boring on paper, but would make life a whole bunch easier.

QVprod

08 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021
QVprod wrote:
08 Sep 2021

Maybe we should get some standard midi pass through and routing features first that's all I'm saying
Maybe we should get some more automatable CMBv2 selectable controls from props devices first

Either way all I see happening is requests for more than just sync and without covering the standard features for creating music why would the community start pushing for something that's already available in a whole host of applications that are probably already in the hands of those serious about needing the feature?
I think the question can apply to everything you suggested here as well. Why implement midi pass through when it’s already available in a whole host of applications that are probably already in the hands of those serious about needing the feature?

I’m personally not arguing order of what should be done first. Just that amongst many other things, it’s a “nice to have”.

Billy+

08 Sep 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Like, I definitely want video playback, and need it for work. BUT, it’s not high on the list for me. If RS invite suggestions, they’re gonna get a whoooole bunch of outlandish stuff. Some people are gonna want a whole-ass video editor. Some people want euro-rack. Some people want FL’s piano roll. Some people want Live’s clips and scenes. The things we actually need are way less glamorous. There’s definitely a strong case for video but *not* before the half-dozen most frequently requested things. Which are arguably pretty boring on paper, but would make life a whole bunch easier.
Exactly what I have always thought,

RS disappointed me with that complete lack of extras that aren't news worthy in V12, I was really expecting to see some simple improvements included but not pushed in promotional material as they aren't news worthy and in some cases embarrassing because every daw has had them for years (standard vst midi for one)

How can you announce that in 2021 and be excited about it, that should have been there as soon as vst support was announced but look how many years it's been and still not done?

apoc123
RE Developer

08 Sep 2021

Having a blast with the current Combinator 2 knobs... Can't wait or more!
Nexius C &  Neo 6.1.jpg
Nexius C & Neo 6.1.jpg (601.9 KiB) Viewed 4282 times

Billy+

08 Sep 2021

QVprod wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021

I think the question can apply to everything you suggested here as well. Why implement midi pass through when it’s already available in a whole host of applications that are probably already in the hands of those serious about needing the feature?

I’m personally not arguing order of what should be done first. Just that amongst many other things, it’s a “nice to have”.
I knew you was going to say something like that but the fact is Reason got vst support after years of being told it wouldn't happen

But then it did and everyone was over the moon including me but what a let down that it was only ever half done, over the last few versions peoples biggest complaint is that everything is "half arsed" and I'm starting to agree.

I love it when Props/RS does something their way and makes you think "that excellent, I never would have thought I needed that" but that's just not happening like it used to ;)

sonicbyte

09 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
sonicbyte wrote:
08 Sep 2021

That's odd...I use it just recently and VidPlayVST worked great for me
Aside from sync issues, can you scrub the video with the playhead in realtime? Video for me only refreshes only when I release the playhead, which is not helpful at all.
I have to double check, but it worked flawlessly for me... it was a score for a short video, less than two minutes, so my experienced with it is based on that. May be it fails with very long videos ?

Cheers

PeterP

09 Sep 2021

> New devices – We're currently in the research phase of what our next device will be. We have many cool concepts, but please send us your feedback on what you'd like to see (and hear)!

I want an updated set of basic effects. The current eqs and compressors are all old and of the "use your ears not your eyes" style. I want something more like FabFilter Pro series with much better UI.

> We don’t see Reason as either a plug-in or a DAW – Reason is both!

There are two blockers for me before I can return to using it as a DAW:

1) MIDI loop recording to new lanes, or better yet with MIDI comping.
2) Store recorded audio outside the project file. I use a lot of guitar and each song is easily several gigabytes. Storing multiple versions uses up too much disk space.

Eprom

09 Sep 2021

Maybe it's me, but you could also read that statement as "Reason 12 wasn't ready yet, but we released it anyway and now you have to wait for months untill we are finished" 😬
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

Loque

09 Sep 2021

Eprom wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Maybe it's me, but you could also read that statement as "Reason 12 wasn't ready yet, but we released it anyway and now you have to wait for months untill we are finished" 😬
You still can wait until all your requested features are implemented and upgrade than :puf_smile:

See you in 5 years!
Reason12, Win10

Eprom

09 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Eprom wrote:
09 Sep 2021
You still can wait until all your requested features are implemented and upgrade than :puf_smile:

See you in 5 years!
That's not what I was saying. 🙄 I requested nothing and who says I didn't upgrade already?
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

Jackjackdaw

09 Sep 2021

Eprom wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Agreed, they should have waited until it was ready to release it. R+ has them scrabbling around, throwing stuff out the door to keep the beast fed.

Jagwah

09 Sep 2021

QVprod wrote:
08 Sep 2021
No one’s gonna be looking for video editing out of Reason. Simple playback is more than enough.

Nothing wrong with a few basic features, like clip slicing, reversing and stretching. Just because you have no interest does not mean nobody else does.

Billy+

09 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
09 Sep 2021
QVprod wrote:
08 Sep 2021
No one’s gonna be looking for video editing out of Reason. Simple playback is more than enough.
Nothing wrong with a few basic features, like clip slicing, reversing and stretching. Just because you have no interest does not mean nobody else does.
See joey just video syncing didn't even last 24 hours before extras got requested :thumbs_up:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2021

And we’re 100% wishlist again. Sigh!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jagwah

09 Sep 2021

On a far lighter note, the new roadmap shows a ton of things being implemented in a matter of a few months, if they keep that pace up all of our dreams are going to come true, and being left to fight each other of which single feature is the most sought after like we are used to will be a thing of the past.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2021

Wishlist:
Fix the bugs.
The End
Thankyou.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jagwah

09 Sep 2021

Seriously you guys imagine a world where we didn't have to squabble over wanted Reason features. The momentum shown in the new roadmap is extremely promising.
Billy+ wrote:
09 Sep 2021
See joey just video syncing didn't even last 24 hours before extras got requested :thumbs_up:
We've been talking about video support for many years, I even had Ryan Harlin at one point admit he would like video support in Reason. Also come across many a good dude who agreed basic video editing support in Reason would be wild and really cool.

MrFigg wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Turn that frown upside down and take that sigh and turn it into a song!

deigm

09 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
09 Sep 2021
We're stepping up to the digital microphone! :thumbup:

• Information