Best multiband comp, need help at mastering channels

Discuss VST stuff here!
moalla

06 Sep 2021

I think for the right loudness I need a multiband compressor wich is able to analyze the audio spectrum and could automatically set the frequency of the higher or lower compressed band, but i‘m Just a newbie in such things, I composed in last months some really heavy dynamical tracks, wich are sounding to compressed at the one hifi systems or smaller box or thin at monitors like Alesis monitor one at a friends place. Where i have to start, to bring the right „loudness“ to my different tracks of a project? What is my failure when in conclusion to things that i‘ve Made with reason years before on Yamaha nx e 400 speakers sounds well, now with my eve audios sc205 and DT 880pro Silver headphones new musical ideas at the end gets frustrating me, cause the sound is to indifferent!?
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2021

Could you share an example?

moalla

06 Sep 2021

I‘m still at holidays, in two weeks I could upload something. first I realized that some track frequency’s overlap, than I solved it with ssl or gq7 EQ, it sounds on my eve speakers at home fine, but could it be a way to separate the frequency’s of the master output and take three ssl comps on it, instead one. 1:2 or1:4 with 10oclock (knob Position) compression and 9oclock makeup with 3ms attack and 100ms release is okay?

I forgot to write now i‘m using Millennia NSEQ2 VST EQ in the Master fx chain to bring up the signal, it‘s only three bands with Q factor
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Loque

06 Sep 2021

I wouldn't use a multiband compressor to fix a mix, when i could just fix the mix.

A multiband compressor is a heavy and dangerous cannon and you want to shoot a little bird with it.

Better try to balance your mix. Mixing on headphones is difficult. Mixing on monitors too. The problem is, that most music systems out there are non linear, often boosting bass or mids and a clean sound on monitors sound like a mess on consumer systems.

The most common mixing problems are
* too much in too many frequencies
* too much stereo which creates a lot of phase canceling problems
* too much bass, in your face mids, too much highs
* everything is too loud, clipping and distortion all over the place
* endless more problems...

So some tips
* less is more everywhere
* leave room for each sound
* try a mix stage in mono
* remove non audible stuff, for example with a HPF
* dynamic is ok
* no mastering fx when writing music, it comes after mixing stage
* use some others EQ curves to match, especially in the bass area

I can recommend FabFilter.
Reason12, Win10

moalla

08 Sep 2021

Thanks for your answer Loque, yeah less iss more, i‘m mixing since months with -10db or -6db on the main gain of the Mixer channels.
To separate more channels in their frequency range is for shure the right way, but it‘s such a amazing and nice thing to work with overtones to have especial harmonics,

Maybe I have to listen on my monitors to the red and the blue album from the Beatles, what I know from my childhood and different car stereo system and so one, also Queen to get a idea where lies the rabbit in the pepper.

Difficult, really difficult but mono is a really good start point Loque!

So Mono für alle

michael.jaye

08 Sep 2021

moalla wrote:
08 Sep 2021
to get a idea where lies the rabbit in the pepper.
I'm intrigued!

moalla

08 Sep 2021

„That's the crux of the matter.“ as german proverb

michael.jaye

08 Sep 2021

moalla wrote:
08 Sep 2021
„That's the crux of the matter.“ as german proverb
Strange. I love it!

chaosroyale

09 Sep 2021

moalla wrote:
06 Sep 2021
I think for the right loudness I need a multiband compressor wich is able to analyze the audio spectrum and could automatically set the frequency of the higher or lower compressed band, but i‘m Just a newbie in such things, I composed in last months some really heavy dynamical tracks, wich are sounding to compressed at the one hifi systems or smaller box or thin at monitors like Alesis monitor one at a friends place. Where i have to start, to bring the right „loudness“ to my different tracks of a project? What is my failure when in conclusion to things that i‘ve Made with reason years before on Yamaha nx e 400 speakers sounds well, now with my eve audios sc205 and DT 880pro Silver headphones new musical ideas at the end gets frustrating me, cause the sound is to indifferent!?
I have never heard a problem with a mix that couldn't be made even worse with a multiband compressor. A lot of beginners think that MB comps are magic devices that will re-balance your sound. We have all been there - don't worry. But the reality is, if you are using a post-production tool to radically adjust your mix, it is easier to go back and fix the mix directly.

I advise beginners to forget about "increasing" loudness for the time being. Most services normalize loudness anyway. The first job is to get used to mixing. To begin with, try using existing tracks as references.Use something like Youlean loudness meter to match the loudness, and start by just trying to get a balanced mix which is closer to your reference.

If you still have the old Yamaha speakers, don't throw them away, use them as a second set of reference speakers. Why? Because checking your mix on a variety of different systems will help to give you a more balanced sound that works on everything, not only on your personal system.

Also instead of relying on one super-plugin to affect a mix, don't overlook the benefits of grouping tracks into busses, and using EQ and compression on the individual tracks AND on the busses to make everything sound cohesive.

moalla

09 Sep 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
09 Sep 2021
moalla wrote:
06 Sep 2021
I have never heard a problem with a mix that couldn't be made even worse with a multiband compressor. A lot of beginners think that MB comps are magic devices that will re-balance your sound. We have all been there - don't worry. But the reality is, if you are using a post-production tool to radically adjust your mix, it is easier to go back and fix the mix directly.

I advise beginners to forget about "increasing" loudness for the time being. Most services normalize loudness anyway. The first job is to get used to mixing. To begin with, try using existing tracks as references.Use something like Youlean loudness meter to match the loudness, and start by just trying to get a balanced mix which is closer to your reference.

If you still have the old Yamaha speakers, don't throw them away, use them as a second set of reference speakers. Why? Because checking your mix on a variety of different systems will help to give you a more balanced sound that works on everything, not only on your personal system.

Also instead of relying on one super-plugin to affect a mix, don't overlook the benefits of grouping tracks into busses, and using EQ and compression on the individual tracks AND on the busses to make everything sound cohesive.
Yes that’s right, pump up the shit or „ozone“ it isn‘t the right way, i also read about EQing and looked for REQ131 if it‘s worth buy it but that‘s at the end all bull...t, I own a nice arsenal of things and at the end it‘s better to use an eq like the Lindell TE 100 i have ass last in the signal chain after each channel fader per direct out . Than finally i have to sum the hole channels extra but I hope this will give me the right control. The ssl mix strip iss okay but not enough, or maybe I have to change the signal way in the Mixer Panel....
You have to know I own I would say to much like trident a range, at5, at4, gq7, RE3Q, DQ channel processor, mc dsp comp bundle, FET, C1L1 and amazing free VSt like
Fuseaudio RS W2395c mid eq, TLS 1295 LEA comp as RE2a replacement, and paid like audio assault‘s Multi Transient and Headcrusher, Brainworx Millennia NSEQ, Lindell TE-100, Elysian mpressor ...so that‘s only my dynamic arsenal, the waves shit (Abbey Road RED, echo Chambers), i purchased i don‘t longer use of their chrashing shell fck but also this reason waves h-comp is nice as go to comp for most usage.
Some producer told me don‘t use mastering processors or similiar...

Hmm yeah and not yeah my problem iss still my EDM style that i like e and produce has to much dynamics for poor stereo systems and I gave the Yamahas as a present to a friend years before.
And now my wife would give me a shut up if I build up the next pair I of 5inch speakers in our living room, especial if there is a baby and no real time space to make mixdowns on speakers now, so it must work 90% with headphones... And then iss it right to check the mixdown at least at original iPhone earplugs for example after the kitchen radio!? Sounds all naiv or crazy but that’s my reality or kind of reality and corona makes actions with people at the streets unmakeable

• Information