POLL: VST3 or QOL Priority? What would you have rather seen first?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What would you have rather seen first?

Poll ended at 14 Sep 2021

1 - VST 3 Please!
19%
2 - I'm good with VST 2.4 for now. Give me some Quality of Life workflow enhancements - Track Folders, Midi Comp/New Lane/Markers/Freeze etc first!
81%

Total votes: 122
stratatonic

08 Sep 2021

Maybe I'm in the minority, but virtually every VST I own is VST 2.4 and I likely won't buy a VST3 only plug for some time - if ever.

So to me it's a bit disconcerting to see VST3 set to be released at a specific date, and workflow stuff as "under investigation".

I'm curious as to how many of you would have preferred to see QOL enhancements before VST3.
Last edited by stratatonic on 13 Sep 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Jackjackdaw

08 Sep 2021

The VST 3 work has probably been mostly done already if they are so confident about when it's coming. So it's kind of a moot point. But yeah the other stuff would be better on balance.

Rising Night Wave

08 Sep 2021

2. yes!
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

R303

08 Sep 2021

VST 3 was released in 2008, so it’s already overdue.

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

Roland's Zenology is VST3 only, and it's pretty good.

Social Exodus

08 Sep 2021

I'll take usability enhancements over VST3, but I think that ship has already sailed.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

That all being said, this is a false dichotomy.

Not implementing VST3 wouldn't leave a massive gap for any reasonable amount of QOL features.

But QOL improvements are in the timeline (just worded differently).

stratatonic

08 Sep 2021

R303 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
And Propellerhead's Record came out shortly afterwards, and was very likely more widely adopted than VST3 at that stage, which has only mildly gained traction since 2018, with Steinberg eliminating the 2.4 subset from the SDK.
Ten years ago - 2011, from Sound on Sound missing features:
(still waiting...but here are some workarounds in the meantime...)
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... k-freezing
Last edited by stratatonic on 08 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

KGB

08 Sep 2021

I'm sure both will be implemented soon..hopefully by 12.5.
For me it's #2 by a landslide.

stratatonic

08 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
08 Sep 2021
That's nice. That's not the question, though. :)
joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Moog's Model 15 which was released as AU can now be used as a VST3 on macOS.
You have Logic, go use Moog's Model 15 there. :)
What would you rather have had in Reason first, ability to play Model 15 as a VST3 ?
Or a couple of these?:
Joeylukc's QOL list.jpeg
Joeylukc's QOL list.jpeg (118.23 KiB) Viewed 3872 times

DaveyG

08 Sep 2021

This is a bad poll. Option one is VST3 - a very specific feature. Option two is a vague QOL thing where everyone is free to imagine their own specific QOL change, including, but not limited to, the examples given. It's not a balanced choice and is bound to come down on the side of QOL.

joeyluck

08 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
08 Sep 2021
avasopht wrote:
08 Sep 2021
That's nice. That's not the question, though.
joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Moog's Model 15 which was released as AU can now be used as a VST3 on macOS.
What would you rather have had in Reason first, ability to play Model 15 as a VST3 ?
Or this?:
Joeylukc's QOL list.jpeg
My VST3 list is bigger than just Moog, I was just mentioning that as it was released today.

I think VST3 is essential. It is QoL. I'm glad they are tackling it. More and more plugins are VST3 only. So I'm happy it's on the way and I only hope that my suggestions are considered for the improvements they are investigating.

Because let's be honest, they've decided on and shared their roadmap. And they are likely already developing it. To think the time they would take to research and investigate other features, determine which ones and how, that wouldn't be for January. With everything else they say they are working on, I don't want my precious features to be crammed in by January lol.

stratatonic

08 Sep 2021

DaveyG wrote:
08 Sep 2021
This is a bad poll. Option one is VST3 - a very specific feature. Option two is a vague QOL thing where everyone is free to imagine their own specific QOL change, including, but not limited to, the examples given. It's not a balanced choice and is bound to come down on the side of QOL.
I was just giving examples of QOL, in case it wasn't totally clear. It's simple (though I maybe could have worded the poll question slightly differently and asked "what would you rather have seen first?")
Maybe I still can - without changing out the poll numbers.

CaptainBlack

08 Sep 2021

Can we have both? To be honest, I can wait for VST3 as I'd only have to re-install all the current VST2s.

stratatonic

08 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
stratatonic wrote:
08 Sep 2021

That's nice. That's not the question, though.

Or this?:
Joeylukc's QOL list.jpeg
My VST3 list is bigger than just Moog, I was just mentioning that as it was released today.

I think VST3 is essential. It is QoL. I'm glad they are tackling it. More and more plugins are VST3 only. So I'm happy it's on the way and I only hope that my suggestions are considered for the improvements they are investigating.

Because let's be honest, they've decided on and shared their roadmap. And they are likely already developing it. To think the time they would take to research and investigate other features, determine which ones and how, that wouldn't be for January. With everything else they say they are working on, I don't want my precious features to be crammed in by January lol.
Again, I was curious as to what other Reason users would rather have seen first in an upgrade/update?
"What would you have rather seen first?" is likely a touch more nuanced and correct than what I wrote for the poll question. Can you change that out?. Thanks. :)

Billy+

08 Sep 2021

As always

Finish VST2.4 Implementation so I can use Capitan Chords etc

stratatonic

08 Sep 2021

CaptainBlack wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Can we have both? To be honest, I can wait for VST3 as I'd only have to re-install all the current VST2s.
I know, I was thinking of that option as well, but with maybe everyone picking that, the poll reveals nothing, imo.

Creativemind

08 Sep 2021

R303 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
But joining midi notes, note displays and midi chase even older. ;)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

DaveyG

08 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
08 Sep 2021
DaveyG wrote:
08 Sep 2021
I was just giving examples of QOL, in case it wasn't totally clear. It's simple (though I maybe could have worded the poll question slightly differently and asked "what would you rather have seen first?")
Maybe I still can - without changing out the poll numbers.
It's like saying "Do you want Ford to offer a 2 litre engine option or do you want improvements to the driving experience?" One is specific, the other is vague. One person might imagine the latter means sports suspension and racing seats, another might think about a better turning circle and an iPhone interface.

Anyhow, VST3 is the only going to get more important and it's disingenuous for RS to claim VST compatibility when they only support VST2 whilst ignoring VST MIDI and VST3. They simply have to add support for it.

And, yeah, why can't we have VST3 and QOL improvements?

gullum

08 Sep 2021

Me personally don't give a fly for VST3 I don't use 1 VST in my music. But it's seams to be a big deal for many people.

RS just have to stop taking things away from me I always made guitar music first it was Line6 they removed but I've got better amps now from Kuassa, now in R12 they took away the controls of Inserts from my hardware (before you start saying they did not try and look for then them map them to the mixer) yes I know they are coming back in a way.

I wish for improvement of the remote mapping so there would be no mouse clicking to switch between devices .

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
08 Sep 2021

RS just have to stop taking things away from me I always made guitar music first it was Line6 they removed but I've got better amps now from Kuassa, now in R12 they took away the controls of Inserts from my hardware (before you start saying they did not try and look for then them map them to the mixer) yes I know they are coming back in a way.
Given it happened shortly after Line6 were bought out, it looks more like they forced the removal by the new owners, or demanded terms that were just not financially viable.

Jagwah

08 Sep 2021

QOL a million times over but I doubt it's going to happen before vst3, they even said so in the road map. All these cool ideas popping up for sequencer improvements are so simple it hurts and has been hurting for many of us for years and years and years.

dioxide

08 Sep 2021

For me QOL but lets get VST3 in there and over and done with so we can focus on more important things. Once it's done it's done, assuming they don't cut any corners like they did with VST2.

esselfortium

08 Sep 2021

Quality-of-life improvements. Please.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

• Information