Reason 12 has arrived

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
musicman691

08 Sep 2021

Pepin wrote:
07 Sep 2021
EnochLight wrote:
07 Sep 2021
I wonder if musicman691 realizes how much OSX spies on him and reports back to Apple every time he's online?
macOS still lets you opt out.
diagnostics.png
This is one of the first things I go to in OSX system preferences as I uncheck EVERYTHING. I don't use SIRI or anything like that. I don't have a camera or microphone on any of my Macs. And I run ad blockers, script blockers and privacy apps like Privacy Badger to keep things as buttoned down as I can. I take my online privacy very serious. I don't have my daw computer online anymore than I have to (authorizations are about it). I use a separate computer for all my internet stuff and if I need to transfer something to another person I sneaker-net the file on a memory card from one machine to another.

I treat things on a need-to-know basis and RS doesn't need to know how I use their product.
Jack
MacPro mid-2012 3.46 GHz hexcore Westmere 48 gig ram
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

PhillipOrdonez

08 Sep 2021

If one's computer is never online, how can RS get those reports? If I never used the music computer online I wouldn't give a flying fuck about those privacy things. I don't already, but if I did care about that, and the computer was always offline, I wouldn't make such a big deal about it 😂😂😂

guitfnky

08 Sep 2021

I just don’t get how some of you people are using your recording software in a way that makes you worry about privacy concerns. 😂 like, are you naming your tracks after family members and renaming devices with their addresses and social security numbers?

I mean I use Reason clip labels to store all my passwords, but that’s okay, right? 🤔
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

musicman691

08 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
08 Sep 2021
If one's computer is never online, how can RS get those reports? If I never used the music computer online I wouldn't give a flying fuck about those privacy things. I don't already, but if I did care about that, and the computer was always offline, I wouldn't make such a big deal about it 😂😂😂
It can get those reports when you do updates or buy something from them. You're ignoring what I've been on about - no one needs to know how I use something.
Jack
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

musicman691

08 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
08 Sep 2021
I just don’t get how some of you people are using your recording software in a way that makes you worry about privacy concerns. 😂 like, are you naming your tracks after family members and renaming devices with their addresses and social security numbers?

I mean I use Reason clip labels to store all my passwords, but that’s okay, right? 🤔
Like others here you just don't get it - no one needs to know ANYTHING about what I do with their product as long as it's illegal. No one really knows what's all harvested by data collections like this. The developer won't tell you. Maybe some Europeans don't care about their privacy but us Americans do. I don't understand why people here don't care about what RS has done. Little by little things we take for granted are taken away.
Jack
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

guitfnky

08 Sep 2021

musicman691 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
08 Sep 2021

Like others here you just don't get it - no one needs to know ANYTHING about what I do with their product as long as it's illegal. No one really knows what's all harvested by data collections like this. The developer won't tell you. Maybe some Europeans don't care about their privacy but us Americans do. I don't understand why people here don't care about what RS has done. Little by little things we take for granted are taken away.
good lord. back away from the tinfoil…

EnochLight

08 Sep 2021

musicman691 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Maybe some Europeans don't care about their privacy but us Americans do.
Not to digress, but "us Americans" - at least 46% of them using mobile operating systems anyway - don't give a rat's ass about privacy compared to the convenience of being given free stuff:

well,ACKTUALLY.JPG
well,ACKTUALLY.JPG (59.32 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PhillipOrdonez

08 Sep 2021

musicman691 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
08 Sep 2021

I'm pretty sure Europe has way stronger personal data protection laws than Americans. 🤷‍♂️

wikholm

08 Sep 2021

While I am mainly here to discuss how to do things in Reason, rather than how to behave, I cannot ignore that this thread gives me a déjà vu from the old Propellerhead forum, where intended irony eventually slipped into a corrosive culture, that likely contributed to its demise.

Things like jest and irony, are really hard to successfully convey in writing. Devoid of clues such as facial expressions, gestures, body language, pronunciation, tone, timing, phrasing, et cetera, text tends to feel colder, starker and less friendly.

That shouldn't be strange, as many of the little things we do, when we meet in person, serves to build emotional connections and form bonds between people. Remove them, and we are left with disembodied characters, from which it may be hard or impossible, to clearly tell whether the writer is smiling, smug or sneering.

For example, in precisely which mood am I, right now, writing this? Different readers would come up with different answers, each valid to each of them. I cannot control any of that. All I can do is try my very best to come across clearly and politely.

Frequent contributors may, over time, figure one another out well enough to comfortably use a pointier language between themselves, than towards others. Even then, remember that not everyone else will get that it is friendly fun, but may instead take it as literal examples of acceptable behaviour, especially when coming from somehow senior members. Joking about oneself is usually harmless, though.

Boring as it may seem, it may be wise to think trice before posting once. Should a light-hearted witticism still not be received well, asking Why so serious, usually just adds insult to injury.

It is remarkably easy to become the involuntary jerk when writing in public. Should that happen, rolling eyes in private, is fine. In writing though, as the intention probably wasn't to offend, do extend an apology, try to learn something and move on. An acceptable intent does not invalidate a thorny interpretation, and the hurt is real, for whomever may feel unfairly treated.

That said, I would, as a final remark, like to recommend readers to keep this in mind too, and be aware that it is very easy to read malice into what was supposed to be merry. If reasonable, try not to get too offended. If answering back, don't try to get back at them. That just starts a vicious cycle. Let the anger, if any, subside before replying. Aim to de-escalate, to be the reasonable adult. Don't be a doormat though. Make it clear if someone overstepped. Just try not to overstep back. Thank you for your time.
Last edited by wikholm on 08 Sep 2021, edited 3 times in total.

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

musicman691 wrote:
08 Sep 2021

I guess you've never heard of GDPR (it's the strongest data protection law on the planet).

In a nutshell, if they were breaking GDPR, it wouldn't make a difference if you could opt-out of the anonymous data collection (because if they were harvesting personal data beyond and not just collecting mere UI usage metrics, that means that they would be breaking the law and violating GDPR whether you checked the box or not).

As to whether they need to capture UI usage patterns. The answer is yes, they do. There's a deluge of information on this, why it's done and how useful it is.

Jackjackdaw

08 Sep 2021

lol ,when it's U.S tech firms that shat the bed when GDPR rolled out. 😆

musicman691

08 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
08 Sep 2021
musicman691 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Maybe some Europeans don't care about their privacy but us Americans do.
Not to digress, but "us Americans" - at least 46% of them using mobile operating systems anyway - don't give a rat's ass about privacy compared to the convenience of being given free stuff:

well,ACKTUALLY.JPG
Well this American gives a damn about his privacy. Remember that free stuff is worth what you paid for it - which is zero. I own what I use - no free crap, no subscription. I like to run a tight ship here. Don't use mobile system and don't have a cell phone. Don't need one and don't want one.
Jack
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

guitfnky

08 Sep 2021

musicman691 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
There's been too many instances in history that that has been used against people.
name one. without searching.

RoryM0

08 Sep 2021

musicman691 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Employees being fired from their jobs because they're Trump supporters - they do it on their own time and in their own home but employers go scouring the net for such things.
This is a thread about Reason 12.

guitfnky

08 Sep 2021

musicman691 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
08 Sep 2021

name one. without searching.
Employees being fired from their jobs because they're Trump supporters - they do it on their own time and in their own home but employers go scouring the net for such things.
that has nothing to do with companies collecting usage data. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jackjackdaw

08 Sep 2021

How are they going to ascertain your political allegiance from which buttons you click in Reason?

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

Last edited by avasopht on 08 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

musicman691

08 Sep 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
08 Sep 2021
How are they going to ascertain your political allegiance from which buttons you click in Reason?
This isn't just about collecting Reason data but data mining. And that's HUGE business these past few years. Who really knows what's being collected? I see the sheeple here don't care about such things.
Jack
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

guitfnky

08 Sep 2021

musicman691 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Jackjackdaw wrote:
08 Sep 2021
This isn't just about collecting Reason data but data mining. And that's HUGE business these past few years. Who really knows what's being collected? I see the sheeple here don't care about such things.
😂 I had “sheeple” on my possible responses bingo card!
DF3B2031-7474-432C-ADF4-B9EF3E2D55B8.png
DF3B2031-7474-432C-ADF4-B9EF3E2D55B8.png (1001.87 KiB) Viewed 5479 times

Jackjackdaw

08 Sep 2021

I have my own concerns about data mining. I recently had to opt out from the NHS sharing my medical records with private companies for instance. But I can be discerning about what concerns me. Anonymous button clicks in Reason does not concern me at all. Google tracking my movements on my phone... Does concern me but the benefits outweigh the compromise. Not everything has to be a binary judgement.

PropitiousME

08 Sep 2021

This thread is completely insufferable again all because too many people couldn't just respect a man's right to privacy and instead felt the need to question it, even ridicule it. What happened to agreeing to disagree in a respectful manner? We get it, often people are content with taking everything for granted until they've lost something they never realized they had. Plenty of history to teach you about how that turns out (for those willing to learn from it). So that doesn't mean everyone has to subscribe to those same hive minded belief(s). Musicman's original post is a perfect example of how this place always ends up with a pile on effect of misdirected criticism that eventually spawns into personal attacks and leads to a well meaning individuals having to defend him/herself from the same group of instigators perpetuating this crap anytime they see a post they simply can't agree to disagree with! So many idiots here feel the need to editorialize every opinion, even down to the effin' thread titles! :lol:

Musicman's underlying point is clear. You have some folks that chose to take everything these corporations say for granted and your entire argument is based on that premise. However, not everyone choses to believe all policies are respected or that no corporations are capable of doing evil things outside what they'd have you believe. Yet we live in a world today where day after day you have evidence that people's PII is constantly abused and misused for profit... doesn't matter this topic revolves around a piece of music software, it's about low level machine "access". Then you all sit here and accuse a man being smart enough to insulate himself from all that of wearing a "tin foil" hat? Get wrecked...

You people that feed this shit perpetuate a special kind of hell on these forums and that is why this place will never truly thrive (this includes some mods not worthy of their title). @Wikhom had the right of it with his post, but that kind of reason (no pun intended) falls on deaf ears. @Musicman691, keep fighting the good fight sir. Many people support your right to privacy whether they speak up here or not, but don't let these clowns goad you into political chatter on a Reason forum. You're points are salient and those that can read between the lines understand the underlying reasons driving your decisions. Let these folks have the last word and just carry on sir. God bless. :thumbs_up:

guitfnky

08 Sep 2021

PropitiousME wrote:
08 Sep 2021
This thread is completely insufferable again
you’re right about that, and I’ll own my piece of that, but that is a two-way street for sure, and you just took the on-ramp. 😅

Jackjackdaw

08 Sep 2021

I actually agree that there should be an opt out from data collection. And it's reasonable to discuss it here as it is something that has been implemented in the software. I also have anti tracking shit on my browser etc. But I also think that you can understand a situation, weigh up the risks and go for it anyway without being a dupe or a sheep or whatever.

guitfnky

08 Sep 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
08 Sep 2021
I actually agree that there should be an opt out from data collection. And it's reasonable to discuss it here as it is something that has been implemented in the software. I also have anti tracking shit on my browser etc. But I also think that you can understand a situation, weigh up the risks and go for it anyway without being a dupe or a sheep or whatever.
this, 1000%—and the whole gray area thing. not everything can be reduced to binary choice. arguably, most things can’t.

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

PropitiousME wrote:
08 Sep 2021
This thread is completely insufferable again all because too many people couldn't just respect a man's right to privacy and instead felt the need to question it, even ridicule it. What happened to agreeing to disagree in a respectful manner? We get it, often people are content with taking everything for granted until they've lost something they never realized they had. Plenty of history to teach you about how that turns out (for those willing to learn from it). So that doesn't mean everyone has to subscribe to those same hive minded belief(s)
If they were illegally capturing PII, the opt-out wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Do you really think that anyone who disagrees with you holds hive-minded beliefs?

• Information