Reason Studios shares their roadmap (September 7, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Billy+

07 Sep 2021

Anyone else seen the blog post? https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/roadmap-for-reason

Reason 12 : THE ROADMAP!
IMG_2808.PNG
IMG_2808.PNG (52.92 KiB) Viewed 25060 times

Looking ahead - our roadmap
This is the first time we do this, but we’ll keep iterating on the format until we find something that works. This is a plan, not a promise. Plans sometimes change, and if they do, you’ll be the first to know in a follow-up post. Beyond what's here, we'll of course continuously fix bugs and improve stability and performance.

Under development

Smart browser – October
In Reason 12 we delivered a new fresh and fast browsing experience. In October we plan to ship an update that organizes all your content in a better way and makes finding patches and sounds much easier

Hi-res rest of Reason – October
For Reason 12 the focus was to make the rack hi-res but in October we will ship an update that updates the remaining parts of the sequencer and UI to hi-res too.

More styles for Combinator 2.0 - November
Most of us spend too much time choosing the right button or knob to make our Combinators really pop. They make the Combinator so much more fun, and we want to have an even broader selection. And my personal testing shows that good looking Combinators sound better too..

M1 support – December
Reason will be updated to run natively on the Apple M1 processor.

VST3 support –January
Yes, you read that right! VST3 support is coming to Reason. This is a big project, but we are working to deliver this as soon as possible which is why it’ll take a bit longer than other stuff on the roadmap.

Under investigation

Things that are under investigation are things we are looking closely at. No decision has been made as to exactly what we’ll release and when. But follow this space (and give us your feedback online) and things listed here should magically transform into more detailed items that are “Planned/Under development” by the time the next blog post is out in a few weeks.

New devices – We're currently in the research phase of what our next device will be. We have many cool concepts, but please send us your feedback on what you'd like to see (and hear)!

Tight integration with other DAWs – Roughly half of you are using Reason in another DAW and we want that experience to be as seamless as possible. Supporting more VST features and decreasing startup time are some of the key things we are looking at here.

Immediate musical results – Reason can take on many roles, but we believe its strength is getting ideas going quickly. We're investigating improvements to the current workflow, sequencer, and more.

Authorization/Offline mode for Reason+ – We know that many of you depend on Reason and Reason+ in situations where there’s not always internet access. For Reason owners, authorization can sometimes be flaky and there is currently no way to use Reason+ without Internet-access. We are researching a new solution to solve both issues, hitting two drums with one stick so to speak.
Last edited by Billy+ on 07 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

07 Sep 2021

Mattias I can't see VST MIDI routing and pass through on that list for 2.4 devices like the captain bundle etc...

Although it's good to see a plan :clap:

Jagwah

07 Sep 2021

So the sequencer will be Hi-res. It's nice to know they are looking at improving the sequencer, and hey, even if expected deadlines are not met, at least we have some idea that they still care about such things. Maybe it isn't so bad to let us in on their intentions, I for one appreciate it.

"Immediate musical results – Reason can take on many roles, but we believe its strength is getting ideas going quickly. We're investigating improvements to the current workflow, sequencer, and more. " :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Last edited by Jagwah on 07 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

FHtH

07 Sep 2021

I'm just shocked, what great work is being done to improve Reason DAW!

deeplink
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2021

I think it's well written and it's good to see some insight into the time and effort that went into things.

It's good that they shared this
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Jagwah

07 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
07 Sep 2021
...it's good to see a plan :clap:

Jagwah

07 Sep 2021

deleted

Billy+

07 Sep 2021

Why did you change my post title mods?

Reason 12 the road ahead was perfectly acceptable...

loopeydoug

07 Sep 2021

More styles for Combinator 2.0 - November
Most of us spend too much time choosing the right button or knob to make our Combinators really pop. They make the Combinator so much more fun, and we want to have an even broader selection. And my personal testing shows that good looking Combinators sound better too..

It is disappointing to see that further Combinator development will merely consist of eye candy and not functionality improvements. It is also not surprising.

"Most of us spend too much time choosing the right button or knob to make our Combinators really pop."
Wrong. Most of us spend too much time trying to remember how to do the custom-rates control workaround, or the button-as-gate-trigger workaround(only to ultimately remember it doesn't really work right).

joeyluck

07 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
07 Sep 2021

Sorry I changed it to make it more clear. It read like it could be just another speculation thread. I think it's really great and a big deal RS is sharing their roadmap and just wanted that to be clear for readers 🤘

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2021

This new transparency is very much welcomed and appreciated. Big thumbs up for Reason Studios on that one. :thumbs_up:

Billy+

07 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
07 Sep 2021

Sorry I changed it to make it more clear. It read like it could be just another speculation thread. I think it's really great and a big deal RS is sharing their roadmap and just wanted that to be clear for readers 🤘
Well I was going for click bait :lol:

Either way it's definitely good to see a public plan from R! And I'm not even bothered that vst3 isn't happening in 2021 like Ryan revealed. I would rather that stuff got delayed than released early but not perfect (like hires)

October even the end would definitely have been better than what is currently going on with it.

Jagwah

07 Sep 2021

Why do I find it harder to notice pinned threads than regular threads? Perhaps I am so used to skipping past them? Thought this one had been deleted for a few minutes there...

diminished
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
07 Sep 2021

Ultimately, you're putting words in people's mouths by doing so. Bad moderation style if you ask me. If you're that unhappy with a thread title, I suggest reaching out to said user either via PM or in the thread :thumbs_up:

Now back on topic, I complained about the lack of a roadmap 25 months ago.
And I'm pretty happy that I no longer have to bother with grasping for straws (news) regarding my personal upgrade plan - I'll do precisely nothing until January. Thank you, RS, for listening for once!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

guitfnky

07 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
07 Sep 2021

dude, being a mod doesn’t require that you have your hands in everything. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

07 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Why do I find it harder to notice pinned threads than regular threads? Perhaps I am so used to skipping past them? Thought this one had been deleted for a few minutes there...
My thread got pinned :thumbup:

friday

07 Sep 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
07 Sep 2021
This new transparency is very much welcomed and appreciated. Big thumbs up for Reason Studios on that one. :thumbs_up:
+1

Billy+

07 Sep 2021

diminished wrote:
07 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
07 Sep 2021

Ultimately, you're putting words in people's mouths by doing so. Bad moderation style if you ask me. If you're that unhappy with a thread title, I suggest reaching out to said user either via PM or in the thread :thumbs_up:

And I'm pretty happy that I no longer have to bother with grasping for straws (news) regarding my personal upgrade plan - I'll do precisely nothing until January. Thank you, RS, for listening for once!
guitfnky wrote:
07 Sep 2021

It ok with me tbf I was going to go with something similar but decided on a more click bait title at least now everyone knows exactly what the thread is about.

Maybe a compromise would be "Reason 12 The Roadmap" ;)
Last edited by Billy+ on 07 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez

07 Sep 2021

Great news!

diminished
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
07 Sep 2021
diminished wrote:
07 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
07 Sep 2021

It ok with me tbf I was going to go with something similar but decided on a more click bait title at least now everyone knows exactly what the thread is about.
I'm glad that it worked out for you, but that it does shouldn't be the default assumption for a mod imho.
And personally, I enjoy thread titles that have their own little style and twist on things. Makes re-recognizing them much easier down the road.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

QVprod

07 Sep 2021

Really interesting shift. Really good foot forward, especially with the hi res being unfinished. Hopefully this should put to bed the DAW abandonment speculation. Looking forward to the future!

Billy+

07 Sep 2021

QVprod wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Really interesting shift. Really good foot forward, especially with the hi res being unfinished. Hopefully this should put to bed the DAW abandonment speculation. Looking forward to the future!
From them or us :lol:

CMBv2 is going to need to host vst's (2.4 & 3) instruments and midi utility are still a must for me

BRIGGS

07 Sep 2021

r11s

DonnieAlan

07 Sep 2021

Thanks for sharing the plan for upcoming features. You asked for some feedback/suggestions, so I have 2. First, and most importantly, you stated that you know many of your users use Reason in another DAW. I'm in that group. What we most want is to be able to host VSTs in Reason in the Rack in our DAWs. Do that, and Reason becomes the most powerful plugin on the planet overnight! Secondly, it would be very useful to add virtual MIDI routing on the back side of the rack. Have virtual MIDI IN/OUT ports and the ability to route cables from to whatever we wish. This would be very useful with the players. Have a virtual midi splitter so one MIDI IN can go to several MIDI Outs. ETc.

QVprod

07 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
07 Sep 2021
QVprod wrote:
07 Sep 2021
From them or us :lol:
True, it’s not the first time they said they’re not abandoning the DAW. I have hope for this community though :lol:

• Information