Reasonistas Kong "FX Combiner" Combinator

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

06 Sep 2021

Hello All,

I created a Kong "FX Combiner" Combinator (still working out the name), but for now I've ran out of knobs:

! The maximum number of controls that can be placed on a Combinator panel is 32 knobs/faders plus 32 buttons, 2 wheels (pitch and modwheel), 1 Run button and 1 Bypass FX button.

We also don't have a 3-way mode switch available in the combi parts to control the 3 filter modes. Another limitation is that Kong only provides access to two device controllers in the Bus FX and Master FX sections. Hopefully this limitation is removed on future Reason updates so I can finish this idea, unless some of you Reason wizards know of a workaround? :puf_smile:
___
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 9.21.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 9.21.15 PM.png (751.67 KiB) Viewed 16607 times
ImageImageImage

thefixr

06 Sep 2021

Reasonistas wrote:
06 Sep 2021
Hello All,

I created a Kong "FX Combiner" Combinator (still working out the name), but for now I've ran out of knobs:

! The maximum number of controls that can be placed on a Combinator panel is 32 knobs/faders plus 32 buttons, 2 wheels (pitch and modwheel), 1 Run button and 1 Bypass FX button.

We also don't have a 3-way mode switch available in the combi parts to control the 3 filter modes. Another limitation is that Kong only provides access to two device controllers in the Bus FX and Master FX sections. Hopefully this limitation is removed on future Reason updates so I can finish this idea, unless some of you Reason wizards know of a workaround? :puf_smile:
___

The work around is multiple Kongs ;-)
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

deeplink
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2021

Ah, you beat me to it!

This one looks a lot better than I would done it - although I probably would have gone for a more abstracted version, to mitigate the "dummy" knobs and controls (there are many controls on Kong you can't use).
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

aeox
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2021

Reasonistas wrote:
06 Sep 2021
Hello All,

___

A kong for each filter mode, and then set it up to switch between them for whichever filter mode you want.

QVprod

07 Sep 2021

Definitely an amazing idea. Unfortunate about the limitations on what can be controlled in Kong. Makes it impossible to have full control over even the compressor. Would definitely hope for an update!

Sterioevo

07 Sep 2021

QVprod wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Unfortunate about the limitations on what can be controlled in Kong. Makes it impossible to have full control over even the compressor. Would definitely hope for an update!
FWIW, it is technically possible to create a combinator with full control, albeit with 128 instances of Kong/parameter. I did a watered down version of the resonator years ago on the old PUF.

Loque

07 Sep 2021

Man, i just wish at least a few Kong devices and fx would be set free, and ofc without their limitations.
Reason12, Win10

QVprod

07 Sep 2021

Sterioevo wrote:
07 Sep 2021
QVprod wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Unfortunate about the limitations on what can be controlled in Kong. Makes it impossible to have full control over even the compressor. Would definitely hope for an update!
FWIW, it is technically possible to create a combinator with full control, albeit with 128 instances of Kong/parameter. I did a watered down version of the resonator years ago on the old PUF.
:lol: I suppose that is a workaround

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2021

This looks very promising (of course these are still the mockups from the default devices and you are short 3 knobs that you've placed there).

What i'm thinking you could do, was merge some of the devices that you don't use at the same time and might be somewhat related like maybe transient shaper and compressor. Also i'd put the transient shaper at the beggining of the chain if you're working in a chain (it makes more sense that way but i don't know what you're planning to do under the hood).

It's a nice design though! Reminds the lunchboxes (we already have a lunchbox in the store and it is great).

thefixr

07 Sep 2021

“ Another limitation is that Kong only provides access to two device controllers in the Bus FX and Master FX sections.”

Multiple Kongs (4 in fact) does solve this issue.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

deeplink
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2021

thefixr wrote:
07 Sep 2021
“ Another limitation is that Kong only provides access to two device controllers in the Bus FX and Master FX sections.”

Not quite.. the limitation being referred to is that some FX have more than two knobs, and those cannot be accessed via the Combinator or via CV for that matter.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

thefixr

07 Sep 2021

deeplink wrote:
07 Sep 2021
thefixr wrote:
07 Sep 2021

Not quite.. the limitation being referred to is that some FX have more than two knobs, and those cannot be accessed via the Combinator or via CV for that matter.
Ah yes. I misunderstood what he meant.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

Reasonistas
RE Developer

07 Sep 2021

deeplink wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Ah, you beat me to it!

This one looks a lot better than I would done it - although I probably would have gone for a more abstracted version, to mitigate the "dummy" knobs and controls (there are many controls on Kong you can't use).
I prefer being faithful to the original device designs, but there is only space for eight units. There is also the 32 knob limit. So I intentionally left out Noise and Tone and chose to keep the Filter unit. I may create two 5 device versions to include the "blue" device series and the "non-blue" device series.

In fact, the filter is the only device that has the 3 mode switcher that can't be replicated with a similar Combinator parts (although a small knob could be used here as well). The real issue is not having access to map more than two controls per FX device. I already have it working to that degree.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

07 Sep 2021

aeox wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Reasonistas wrote:
06 Sep 2021
Hello All,

___

A kong for each filter mode, and then set it up to switch between them for whichever filter mode you want.
Thanks. I'll probably end up using a small knob for this.
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

07 Sep 2021

QVprod wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Sterioevo wrote:
07 Sep 2021

:lol: I suppose that is a workaround
Thanks, Sterioevo. Do you still have that Combinator and can you share it with us? I'd like to learn how you got around the 2 controls per device limitation using additional Kongs. I was also thinking of developing single Kong FX Combinators and your approach may help make that possible.
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

07 Sep 2021

mcatalao wrote:
07 Sep 2021
This looks very promising (of course these are still the mockups from the default devices and you are short 3 knobs that you've placed there).

What i'm thinking you could do, was merge some of the devices that you don't use at the same time and might be somewhat related like maybe transient shaper and compressor. Also i'd put the transient shaper at the beggining of the chain if you're working in a chain (it makes more sense that way but i don't know what you're planning to do under the hood).

It's a nice design though! Reminds the lunchboxes (we already have a lunchbox in the store and it is great).
Thanks. I will take your advice under consideration. This is just a fun project for me to learn how the new Combinator works.

FWIW, I love Red Rock Sound's ModularRE Multi-Effect Processor (aka lunchboxes).

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... processor/
_______
Panel_Front_1_ssI0LFx_Vm3elDu.png.10000x10000_q85.jpg
Panel_Front_1_ssI0LFx_Vm3elDu.png.10000x10000_q85.jpg (47.68 KiB) Viewed 16364 times
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

07 Sep 2021

thefixr wrote:
07 Sep 2021
deeplink wrote:
07 Sep 2021

Ah yes. I misunderstood what he meant.

@deeplink, thanks for helping to make it clearer.

@thefixr, Kong only allows the combinator to control two parts on each device (+FX On/Off) and oddly its not always the 1st and 2nd controller. Noise and Tone have up to 11 control parts (not including the FX On/Off button). The Parametric EQ and Transient Shaper are the only two devices with 3 control parts and even those can't be fully mapped (yet!).

diminished
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2021

(Konginator)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Sterioevo

08 Sep 2021

Reasonistas wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Thanks, Sterioevo. Do you still have that Combinator and can you share it with us? I'd like to learn how you got around the 2 controls per device limitation using additional Kongs. I was also thinking of developing single Kong FX Combinators and your approach may help make that possible.
Attached is a zip file with the 5 models of the resonator. I haven't touched these for years (since 2011). The Mod Wheel controls the Drive Parameter.

There are more sophisticated approaches now possible, compared to the rather crude mixer/spider approach. The best I have found thus far is using Turn2On's Reswitcher.
Attachments
Kongstortionator.zip
(67.55 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

Reasonistas
RE Developer

09 Sep 2021

diminished wrote:
07 Sep 2021
(Konginator)
Thanks. That's smart. Another could be Kongbinator.
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

09 Sep 2021

Sterioevo wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Reasonistas wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Attached is a zip file with the 5 models of the resonator. I haven't touched these for years (since 2011). The Mod Wheel controls the Drive Parameter.

There are more sophisticated approaches now possible, compared to the rather crude mixer/spider approach. The best I have found thus far is using Turn2On's Reswitcher.
Thank you, Sterioevo! As always, impressive work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

That's a lot of Kong devices to get around the limitation. It may be doable if we create single Kong FX device combinators, so will continue to review your brilliant approach. :thumbup:
ImageImageImage

Creativemind

09 Sep 2021

Reasonistas wrote:
06 Sep 2021
Hello All,

___

Nice. D'you have a link to these?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

jamespember
Reason Studios

09 Sep 2021

I want this so bad!

Creativemind

09 Sep 2021

Reasonistas wrote:
09 Sep 2021
diminished wrote:
07 Sep 2021
(Konginator)
Thanks. That's smart. Another could be Kongbinator.
Yeah "Kongbinator" sounds better. 👌
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Reasonistas
RE Developer

11 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
09 Sep 2021
I want this so bad!
Hi James, unfortunately I can't complete the Combinator until Reason includes controls to every parameter on every Kong FX device. Is this something you think will happen in the future?
ImageImageImage

• Information