Massive X no longer works in Reason

Discuss VST stuff here!
NekujaK

06 Aug 2021

Recently updated to the latest version of Massive X (v1.3.2) and now the VST is no longer recognized by Reason 11. Anyone else experiencing this?

Fortunately, Massive X can still be loaded thru Komplete Kontrol, but I'd prefer to work with the synth VST directly.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

eusti

06 Aug 2021

Had the latest update been to VST3 by any chance?

D.

NekujaK

06 Aug 2021

Massive X is still VST2 as far as I can tell. Reaper loads Massive X just fine, and it's listed only as a VST2.

NekujaK

06 Aug 2021

I should probably elaborate on my original post and provide a little more detail...

When Reason launches, the plugin scan freezes on Massive X. The only way to proceed is to have Reason skip Massive X.

After Reason is fully launched, Massive X appears in Reason's "Manage Plugins" window with a "Crashed" Status, and the Manufacturer and Type columns are set to "Unknown".

huggermugger

06 Aug 2021

Works fine for me (OSX Mojave).

selig
RE Developer

06 Aug 2021

Same here, even works in 12!
Selig Audio, LLC

NekujaK

06 Aug 2021

Hmmmm... maybe it's because I'm still on Win 7? Never had any problems with previous versions of Massive X. Also tried uninstalling/reinstalling - but no joy :(

Billy+

06 Aug 2021

NekujaK wrote:
06 Aug 2021
I'm still on Win 7
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

macOS 10.13, 10.14 or 10.15 (latest update)

Windows 10 (64-bit, latest Service Pack)

Solved - your running an unsupported OS version, roll back to the previous version you had that worked!

NekujaK

07 Aug 2021

Yup, thanks for the OS confirmation.

dusan.cani

08 Aug 2021

So the future versions of MX won't work on Win 7 ? This is bad news because I can't stand Windows 10 - its user interface is horrible for me. I prefer to keep using Win 7 as long as possible but it seems that all developers of "big" synths that I use are going away from Win 7 :-/

Is it possible to downgrade MX back to previous versions after update ? If so, I would check if the issue appears also on my Win 7 system.

chimp_spanner

08 Aug 2021

dusan.cani wrote:
08 Aug 2021
So the future versions of MX won't work on Win 7 ? This is bad news because I can't stand Windows 10 - its user interface is horrible for me. I prefer to keep using Win 7 as long as possible but it seems that all developers of "big" synths that I use are going away from Win 7 :-/

Is it possible to downgrade MX back to previous versions after update ? If so, I would check if the issue appears also on my Win 7 system.
Tbh I think in the long run it will take you less time to just adapt to the UI than it will to trouble shoot an increasing number of apps that will no longer work with Windows 7. Sucks, I know, but it's 12 years old. Once you're in Reason, and Massive X, and all the other stuff you use it doesn't really matter what OS you use, so long as it works.

Also, just in case people aren't aware, you can download and install any Windows 10 ISO even without a key. You will get a watermark on the desktop asking you to activate and of course I would always recommend that you do at some point. But OS specifications will continue to rise. Point is there's no pay-wall to be able to continue working. Just FYI :)

jakecento

08 Aug 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
08 Aug 2021
dusan.cani wrote:
08 Aug 2021

Tbh I think in the long run it will take you less time to just adapt to the UI than it will to trouble shoot an increasing number of apps that will no longer work with Windows 7. Sucks, I know, but it's 12 years old. Once you're in Reason, and Massive X, and all the other stuff you use it doesn't really matter what OS you use, so long as it works.

Also, just in case people aren't aware, you can download and install any Windows 10 ISO even without a key. You will get a watermark on the desktop asking you to activate and of course I would always recommend that you do at some point. But OS specifications will continue to rise. Point is there's no pay-wall to be able to continue working. Just FYI :)
I was a win 7 loyalist for a long time- but I agree with this sentiment. And through some basic preferences and settings windows 10 can ditch the tiles splash screen and function overall the same as 7 with some aesthetic differences. It can be optimized pretty well but it is true overall the performance may not be as great on some older machines. Upgrading RAM may counter this if you only have 8gb or less. But windows 10 automatically detects, downloads, and installs essential drivers once it is connected to a network which is really convenient and there are some other new features that do improve from windows 7 once you strip away some of the touch interface UI options and unnecessary animations.
Attachments
DesktopW10-2021.jpg
DesktopW10-2021.jpg (961.52 KiB) Viewed 6106 times
Reason 11 Suite // Native Instruments Komplete 13
TASCAM Model 12 // Alesis Elevate 4
Windows 10 Home 64x // i7-8750H // 16GB RAM

NekujaK

09 Aug 2021

My music & video production machines are Win 7, while my daily use PC is Win 10. I'm intimately familiar with both, and after years of use can unequivocally declare I absolutely despise Win 10 :puf_unhappy: However, I do realize the days are numbered for Win 7 viability - at least if I want to stay up to date on plugins and software.

Reluctantly, I'm willing to move up to Win 10, but the actual upgrade process seems daunting. I have well over 1000 VSTs plus video-editing plugins, not to mention DAWS, NLEs, and other applications, that would all need to be re-licensed and re-installed - it seems like a nightmare.

Does anyone know if I can do an upgrade in place without having to re-install everything? I found this article that shows how to do it, but says all installed apps will be deleted :(
https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/2106 ... 10-free-os

Is this really the only upgrade path?

pjelli

06 Sep 2021

NekujaK wrote:
09 Aug 2021
My music & video production machines are Win 7, while my daily use PC is Win 10. I'm intimately familiar with both, and after years of use can unequivocally declare I absolutely despise Win 10 :puf_unhappy: However, I do realize the days are numbered for Win 7 viability - at least if I want to stay up to date on plugins and software.

Reluctantly, I'm willing to move up to Win 10, but the actual upgrade process seems daunting. I have well over 1000 VSTs plus video-editing plugins, not to mention DAWS, NLEs, and other applications, that would all need to be re-licensed and re-installed - it seems like a nightmare.

Does anyone know if I can do an upgrade in place without having to re-install everything? I found this article that shows how to do it, but says all installed apps will be deleted :(

As easy as "upgrading in place" sounds, it usually never is. You are better off spending the time to start fresh and have less issues in the long run.

I totally understand your hesitation, especially on an audio production only computer, but like someone mentioned, it will ultimately hold you back. I also ran Windows 8.1 for a long time before finally upgrading to 10(and 7 to 8 the same). This is on a general use/office/audio production computer. I find the flexibility of the 10 "start menu" much more versatile. Remember, you can expand it to utilize the whole screen and organize your apps in all different ways. Sure, you could do that on 7(with addons) and 8.1 by default, but 10 takes it even further. The only drawback I find with 10 from an I.T. support standpoint(which I had to support multiple OS as well as go through the torturous process of upgrading a whole office of win 7 business computers to 10), is the very messy and disjointed admin support tools side of things. That is another beast altogether though.

diminished
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2021

NekujaK wrote:
09 Aug 2021

You should know that there was a bug with Native Access which was fixed the day you wrote your post. Updating NA solved problems with (effect) plugin activation, maybe Massive X was affected too? Anyway, update NA before you try something drastic. Good luck!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

NostraDAWmus

03 Oct 2021

I run NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition on my main DAW,- Win7 Pro SP1 64Bit.
NI Native Access automaticly updates when launched !

As long as NI Native Access runs well on a Win 7 machine and all pluigins receive updates and install,- these should work on a Win 7 64Bit machine still !

And they do,- using Cockos Reaper, Presonus Studio One Pro 4.6.x, Tracktion 7,-

but only Massive X makes problems ONLY in Reason 10.4 as well as Reason 11.3.9 now,- and not in all the other applications.

The Win10 specs for NI Massive X is just only for the actual customers buying NI products.

When the plugin is already installed on a Win7 machine and gets updates via NI native Access,- it should work.

In fact, it´s a Reason related bug, period !

I fear Reason Studios won´t fix for Reason 11.

:puf_unhappy:

P.

NostraDAWmus

31 Oct 2021

Seems Massive X is updated again and came back in Reason 10.4. and 11.3.9 yesterday.

So, it wasn´t a Reason issue,- sorry Reason Studios !

P

Herward

25 Feb 2022

NekujaK wrote:
09 Aug 2021

Sound like a nightmare indeed. There's no way you can avoid reinstalling daws, but I can recommend Movavi for your video editing. It is quite simple and should work for some tasks you have on your hands. You this video editor online version. but it is better to get an offline one, of course.

QVprod

26 Feb 2022

NekujaK wrote:
09 Aug 2021

Might be an opportunity to slim down to the stuff you really need. There’s no way you’re using all 1000+ of those VSTs. It’s a process but it’ll take far less time if you only install the things you use. Good news at least is the windows 10 to 11 transition won’t wipe any of your programs should you update the OS again on this computer.

jam-s

26 Feb 2022

Still even when doing an upgrade install of the OS it is usually necessary to first remove/de-authorize any licenses and after finishing the upgrade to re-authorize all plugins. That's where REs are a real time saver.

Goriila Texas

26 Feb 2022

If his PC is running windows 7 I can pretty much guarantee his PC doesn't have TPM 2.0 needed to upgrade to v11.

QVprod wrote:
26 Feb 2022
NekujaK wrote:
09 Aug 2021

Might be an opportunity to slim down to the stuff you really need. There’s no way you’re using all 1000+ of those VSTs. It’s a process but it’ll take far less time if you only install the things you use. Good news at least is the windows 10 to 11 transition won’t wipe any of your programs should you update the OS again on this computer.

QVprod

27 Feb 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
26 Feb 2022
If his PC is running windows 7 I can pretty much guarantee his PC doesn't have TPM 2.0 needed to upgrade to v11.
Considering that half the people here moonlight as computer experts, it’s very possible the OP may have a computer that is upgradable. Motherboard, processor…etc…

• Information