Idea: Guitar Scales Graphic

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
Proboscis

06 Sep 2021

With all the controls removed from the new front plate, this allows for a 'blank canvas' in which to add re-usable reference graphics. My thought is to create a guitar neck from frets 1-12, and plotting each note in position as it pertains to a certain scale.

As the collection grows, brining up the Combinator Scale Guide would then be as simple as dragging in Bm.cmb (or whatever) and start shredding. Same principle could be applied with piano keys.

Proboscis

06 Sep 2021

bminor_scale.jpg
bminor_scale.jpg (425.41 KiB) Viewed 1330 times

Ottostrom

07 Sep 2021

This is a pretty neat idea!
The fact that it stays in the project makes it more useful than just having the picture saved on your computer :)

stratatonic

19 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
06 Sep 2021
With all the controls removed from the new front plate, this allows for a 'blank canvas' in which to add re-usable reference graphics. My thought is to create a guitar neck from frets 1-12, and plotting each note in position as it pertains to a certain scale.

As the collection grows, brining up the Combinator Scale Guide would then be as simple as dragging in Bm.cmb (or whatever) and start shredding. Same principle could be applied with piano keys.
Cool idea. Maybe you could use Combinator buttons for the finger positioning on a fretboard. A really QUICK AND CRUDE example showing a chord because I ran out of buttons. And different midi notes trigger the changes.
Fretboard.png
Fretboard.png (90.92 KiB) Viewed 1174 times

Proboscis

19 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Cool idea. Maybe you could use Combinator buttons for the finger positioning on a fretboard. A really QUICK AND CRUDE example showing a chord because I ran out of buttons. And different midi notes trigger the changes.
Hey, that's a really novel approach :thumbs_up:

In a practical sense though, I'm not sure of it's value, since it's only showing one chord, in one position. If there were a way to assign a knob to activate specific buttons, which would then display chord variations (or positions) that would be a killer Combi.

Your mockup does offer a great potential idea though, as a chord reference 'patch' library or ReFill. There's plenty of space on the new panel for perhaps 6 common chords in 4 different positions

And I can also see the potential with your idea for piano chords, since a keybed is laid out sequentially, and would only require a one-octave graphic with buttons overlaid, then repeated for various iterations (Gm, G6, G7 etc) until the maximum button count is reached.

teddymcw

20 Sep 2021

I love where your head is at but what is the value add over Static Cling's Tome?

Proboscis

20 Sep 2021

teddymcw wrote:
20 Sep 2021
I love where your head is at but what is the value add over Static Cling's Tome?
I wonder if that's the same Static Cling Tome I purchased FIVE YEARS AGO ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had completely forgotten about that RE. But yes, it does the job of displaying (14 different) scales for guitar and other instruments. Banjo players - Static Cling's got you covered

It's ugly AF, but for a utility like this, that's not such a big deal. And for $9 it sure beats manually creating Combi2 graphics.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... isualizer/

teddymcw

22 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
20 Sep 2021
It's ugly AF, but for a utility like this, that's not such a big deal. And for $9 it sure beats manually creating Combi2 graphics.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... isualizer/

lol ya, and I'd def love to have a different look for it, esp using it in most every project.

• Information