Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PhillipOrdonez

03 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
03 Sep 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Oh right, I might have misunderstood.
So I've been saying to others that it is possible to select slots in slice mode in some way other than manually clicking on them... because I was convinced someone else said that you could... but now I actually get my hands on Mimic and I can't work out how to dynamically select which slot is playing back in slice mode? Can't see it in automation list in sequencer or combi mapping? Anyone know?
You've been spreading fake news? 😂😂😂

Joking aside, I thought I read somewhere someone saying you could... I hope that person wasn't you!!! 😂

RoryM0

03 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Sep 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
03 Sep 2021

So I've been saying to others that it is possible to select slots in slice mode in some way other than manually clicking on them... because I was convinced someone else said that you could... but now I actually get my hands on Mimic and I can't work out how to dynamically select which slot is playing back in slice mode? Can't see it in automation list in sequencer or combi mapping? Anyone know?

Joking aside, I thought I read somewhere someone saying you could... I hope that person wasn't you!!! 😂
... It actually might have been me :oops:

Yes well it's a misinformation campaign in order to shame RS into adding the ability to dynamically select slots in slice mode. I'm playing 4D chess :lol:

Popey
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2021

The more I am using mimic the more I like it. There are still things you can do in live's samplers which would be good in mimic (mainly slice to beat) but mimic has already been better in other areas. Thought no better test for a sampler than a dnb tune and having a lot of fun with it.

Still think it should be able to play ableton samples though for any rs staff reading (nudge, nudge)

Ps. I am going to email support to suggest this 😀

Gardinski

04 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
03 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Sep 2021

I've been going NUTS trying to figure this out. I love Mimic and have spent virtually all week experimenting with it, but it would be so much better if you could switch between slots on the fly (in either slice mode or pitch mode).

I was convinced I was missing some obvious step in the process. ''It must work,'' I thought, ''Because RoryM0 says there's a method, and he's obviously not just some deranged lunatic who would make this shit up without solid evidence.''

How wrong I was!!! :lol:

RoryM0

04 Sep 2021

Gardinski wrote:
04 Sep 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
03 Sep 2021

I've been going NUTS trying to figure this out. I love Mimic and have spent virtually all week experimenting with it, but it would be so much better if you could switch between slots on the fly (in either slice mode or pitch mode).

I was convinced I was missing some obvious step in the process. ''It must work,'' I thought, ''Because RoryM0 says there's a method, and he's obviously not just some deranged lunatic who would make this shit up without solid evidence.''

How wrong I was!!! :lol:
I'm convinced someone else wrote it first and I parroted that... However I'm not so convinced that I'm going to dodge any blame here. I done f**ked up with this one people. Apologies and a lesson learned for me :?

But also yeah, learning that I can't switch between 8 breakbeats on the fly without manually clicking the slot is kind of dumbfounding. I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to do this, seems like an obvious use case.

Gardinski

04 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
04 Sep 2021

But also yeah, learning that I can't switch between 8 breakbeats on the fly without manually clicking the slot is kind of dumbfounding. I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to do this, seems like an obvious use case.
Absolutely. It's a bewildering design choice that seems to defy all logic. The closest I've come to solving it is to switch to multi-pitch mode and create a crossfader that effectively morphs between two slots by minimising the gain of slot 1 & maximising the gain of slot 2 (and vice versa for the other end of the fader/pot).

I'm sure that there's a more sophisticated way of doing this with more than two slots at a time, by using the newer features of Combi2, but I have yet to settle down and figure it out properly. I have an idea I have yet to test, so I'll give that a try this evening.

It would definitely make things a lot easier if Prop/RS were to add 'live slot switching' to a future update of Mimic, but perhaps it's not possible without a major overhaul.

Other than that (and perhaps tempo matching), Mimic covers everything I could realistically want from a sampler. The further I delve into it, the more delighted I am by what I'm discovering. You can literally throw almost anything at it, and still be able to come up with something very 'musical', but also strange, unexpected and often startlingly beautiful.

Goriila Texas

04 Sep 2021

Have RS added pitch detection like they said it would on release day and does anyone have a screenshot?

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Have RS added pitch detection like they said it would on release day and does anyone have a screenshot?
Yes

EnochLight

04 Sep 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
04 Sep 2021
In Mimic? Yes - it's even in the R12 launch video.

mimicmimcimimcimci.JPG
mimicmimcimimcimci.JPG (164.8 KiB) Viewed 3829 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

04 Sep 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Just a few posts back :)

viewtopic.php?p=569884#p569884

david1806

04 Sep 2021

Hi all....
I was going to post a separate thread but this seems to be the place to ask. Does having Mimic mean not having to own Recycle now? I do hope so!! It has always bugged me that for some strange reason Reason Studios just won't include it in their DAW. Any particular reason why? I'd be surprised if it was only about the money.... any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers!! 👍👍🙂

PhillipOrdonez

04 Sep 2021

david1806 wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Hi all....
I was going to post a separate thread but this seems to be the place to ask. Does having Mimic mean not having to own Recycle now? I do hope so!! It has always bugged me that for some strange reason Reason Studios just won't include it in their DAW. Any particular reason why? I'd be surprised if it was only about the money.... any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers!! 👍👍🙂
Hey David,

It is a fantastic instrument in its own right, and you can chop and play slices, but you can't make Rex files with it. You can turn samples and loops into completely different and unique sounds that do not resemble the original sample and that's I think what makes it special. It also does not load Rex loops, but you can load Rex slices in it.

david1806

04 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Hey David,

It is a fantastic instrument in its own right, and you can chop and play slices, but you can't make Rex files with it. You can turn samples and loops into completely different and unique sounds that do not resemble the original sample and that's I think what makes it special. It also does not load Rex loops, but you can load Rex slices in it.
Hallo Phillip....
Takk for that!! Right, got it. Even though I won't have an end result of a Rex file, will it still slice a sample up for me?
Vi sees...!
[I lived in Norway/Sweden for a year - although no, I don't speak the language, although I always remember 'fan helvetet' or something like that... :D ]

PhillipOrdonez

04 Sep 2021

david1806 wrote:
04 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Hey David,

Hallo Phillip....
Takk for that!! Right, got it. Even though I won't have an end result of a Rex file, will it still slice a sample up for me?
Vi sees...!
[I lived in Norway/Sweden for a year - although no, I don't speak the language, although I always remember 'fan helvetet' or something like that... :D ]
Vær så god! :)

No, it will slice it but you won't have as much control over the slice points. You have some control, but I understand recycle is way more advanced for that. You can trial it and see for yourself whether the controls are enough for your needs though!

david1806

05 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Sep 2021
....You can trial it and see for yourself....
If you mean Mimic, I am proud owner of R12+, so I updated couple of days ago. I can't lie though, haven't really looked at it yet...I've actually been looking at Grain - thought that might give me a better understanding of it. And then I haven't done much of that either! Got a new electric guitar so been playing with setting that up.

So much to learn with Reason - I just love it. As I keep banging on about (apologies!), when you are my age, Reason is like a dream come true. :lol: :D :-)

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2021

I had a good go of Mimic, but I want a good hardware controller for this sort of thing. It feels much more natural.

Still, I'll see what I can do with it as I found I could breathe a lot of new life into samples with Grain, and Mimic seems to be able to do what I want much better.

flexluthor

08 Sep 2021

It would be nice if mimic would time stretch and chop like serato does. That really helps in sample based music (which I don't think anyone at ReasonStudios does)

DaveyG

09 Sep 2021

flexluthor wrote:
08 Sep 2021
...sample based music (which I don't think anyone at ReasonStudios does)
That's the sound of you hitting the nail on the head. Mimic is OK but not spectacular and I think that's because the people who designed it are not very familiar with modern sampling tools, be they hardware or software.

rootwheel

09 Sep 2021

Can we please get Mimic in the Reason shop too? I'd be happy to pay $99/£99 for it. It would be a wonderful gesture by Reason Studios to their loyal paying customers who, for whatever reason, are unable to get the Reason 12 upgrade just now but would still like to play with this new sampler instrument...

diminished
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Can we please get Mimic in the Reason shop too? I'd be happy to pay $99/£99 for it. It would be a wonderful gesture by Reason Studios to their loyal paying customers who, for whatever reason, are unable to get the Reason 12 upgrade just now but would still like to play with this new sampler instruments...
nice try ;)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

rootwheel

09 Sep 2021

diminished wrote:
09 Sep 2021
rootwheel wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Can we please get Mimic in the Reason shop too? I'd be happy to pay $99/£99 for it. It would be a wonderful gesture by Reason Studios to their loyal paying customers who, for whatever reason, are unable to get the Reason 12 upgrade just now but would still like to play with this new sampler instruments...
nice try ;)
Why limit it to just Reason 12 upgraders, why not let Reason 11 users also buy it? Offering it doesn't harm the Reason 12 upgrade in any way - Reason 12 is all about the Hi-Res and the Combinator 2 really. Mimic could easily have been a standalone RE to follow Algoritm. If they put Mimic on the shop too, it wouldn't harm upgrade uptake but it could actually help further maximise the ROI it cost to develop Mimic in the first place...

EnochLight

09 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Why limit it to just Reason 12 upgraders, why not let Reason 11 users also buy it? Offering it doesn't harm the Reason 12 upgrade in any way - Reason 12 is all about the Hi-Res and the Combinator 2 really. Mimic could easily have been a standalone RE to follow Algoritm. If they put Mimic on the shop too, it wouldn't harm upgrade uptake but it could actually help further maximise the ROI it cost to develop Mimic in the first place...
On the contrary, offering it to 11 and earlier owners does decrease the value of 12 as an upgrade. That's why it's built-in to Reason 12 and you have to own 12 (or sub to 12+) if you want it. So, buy it in the shop for $129 - and you get R12 for "free". :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jackjackdaw

09 Sep 2021

So Mimic is auto normalising my samples? Seems to be. Is this in the manual? I haven't downloaded it yet.

rootwheel

09 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
09 Sep 2021
rootwheel wrote:
09 Sep 2021
On the contrary, offering it to 11 and earlier owners does decrease the value of 12 as an upgrade. That's why it's built-in to Reason 12 and you have to own 12 (or sub to 12+) if you want it. So, buy it in the shop for $129 - and you get R12 for "free". :lol:
I would buy Reason 12 but I can't run it! It requires Windows 10 or macOS 10.13. I have macOS 10.11 and can't run higher.

There are many in a similar boat to me (some stuck on Windows 7 for example) - Reason Studios are missing out on potential revenue from these sales. Obviously we'll all get newer computers with newer OSs eventually and buy the latest Reason then but for now Reason Studios are getting $0/£0 from us, when they could be getting $99/£99 given we want to play with their latest instrument creation - which is an RE built with an SDK that can run fine in Reason 11!

That's my point! :)

• Information