Bitwig crossgrade for 40% off

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
fieldframe
RE Developer

30 Aug 2021

I managed to resist the annual sale earlier in the summer, but this is going to be harder to turn down: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... nother-DAW

Reason qualifies as one of the packages to crossgrade from, all the way back to version 6(!).

SoundObjects

30 Aug 2021

This is indeed a good offer. :thumbup:
I haven't regretted my buy from the last bitwig sale.
It's a little like Ableton Live - but much smarter and better.
And remember you can still use all the divices from Reason Rack plugin.
The Universe Is Vibrating

EdGrip

01 Sep 2021

It's a tough decision between Bitwig and Live, and despite their obvious similarity I think it might even make sense to have both! I don't know how comparable M4L and the Grid are, but the Grid looks very accessible.

slic

01 Sep 2021

I have both- the Grid is more accessible, but MAX devices are far better than you can currently make in the Grid (which is also audio only) and there are 1000's of them freely available on sites like https://maxforlive.com/
Bitwig doesn't have a big users base or a lot of support, a bit more 'boutique' but there are pro's and con's with both. A big 'pro' for Live with me is PUSH2 which makes the whole Live + PUSH experience very similar to using hardware...
Last edited by slic on 01 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

Shots fired! 🔥🔥🤣

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

slic wrote:
01 Sep 2021
I have both- the Grid is more accessible, but MAX devices are far better than you can currently make in the Grid (which is also audio only) and there are 1000's of them freely available on sites like https://maxforlive.com/
Bitwig doesn't have a big users base or a lot of support, a bit more 'boutique' but there are pro's and con's with both. A big 'pro' for Live with me is PUSH2 which makes the whole Live + PUSH experience very similar to using hardware...
It is, except I wasn't keen on how it handled some of my VSTs. And it takes an eternity to load drum patches. A patch that loads almost instantly in Reason takes seconds when converted to a Live drum sampler kit. It seems most of these integrated DAW controllers work best with native instruments and effects. VSTs feel like second-class citizens in the controllers.

This deal is tempting as Bitwig is a DAW I'd been considering.

Right now it's between Studio One and Bitwig, and maybe Live as I did enjoy working with Live and Push last year. RRP works great as a plugin.

Grid does look cool though, and I can see how it can easily serve my routing needs the same way the rack does.

One killer feature of Bitwig that is most appealing is their Komplete Kontrol support!!!

DaveyG

02 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Right now it's between Studio One and Bitwig, and maybe Live as I did enjoy working with Live and Push last year. RRP works great as a plugin.
Studio One also has a crossgrade price from Reason and other DAWs . It goes on offer at least once per year.

fieldframe
RE Developer

02 Sep 2021

I've been playing with the demo for a few days now, and as an Ableton user... I don't think I get it, at least not yet.

The workflow is close enough to Live as far as recording clips into scenes, and then recording scenes into the timeline... but I'm not seeing why people say this is so much better than the Ableton workflow. Some of the things I've long wanted, like linked clips or an alternative to the "remove stop button" feature that is only useful if you're proceeding through scenes in order, Bitwig doesn't seem to have any solutions to these either. What am I missing?

SoundObjects

03 Sep 2021

bangaio

04 Sep 2021

fieldframe wrote:
02 Sep 2021
I've been playing with the demo for a few days now, and as an Ableton user... I don't think I get it, at least not yet.

The workflow is close enough to Live as far as recording clips into scenes, and then recording scenes into the timeline... but I'm not seeing why people say this is so much better than the Ableton workflow. Some of the things I've long wanted, like linked clips or an alternative to the "remove stop button" feature that is only useful if you're proceeding through scenes in order, Bitwig doesn't seem to have any solutions to these either. What am I missing?
Wel I sold live after using it since v1.5 and bitwig blows it out of ten water. For me.

The browser is the best in the business. Super easy to use, tags, search, integration with other VSTs

I was never a fan of live’s built in instruments. Except string quartet that is amazing. I remember buying operator when it released and finding it very nasal sounding no Mayer what you did and other devices released since are equally uninspiring. Bitwig a devices sound immense which is odd as often people seem to have a bit of a downer on them.

Midi plug-ins work on the instrument track and don’t need extra tracks like live does.

Slipping audio and scaling on the timeline is both brilliant and more intuitive.

The arrange page is very good and my second favourite after logic. Ableton is just such a clunky experience I have never gelled with.

Modulators (very "built-in" instead of M4L in Live)name you can modulate everything.

MIDI operators gives you deeper stuff than in Ableton Live

Custom UI layouts. Want the inspector on the other side? Easy.

Custom shortcuts (Ableton Live doesn't have them)

fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Sep 2021

bangaio wrote:
04 Sep 2021
The arrange page is very good and my second favourite after logic. Ableton is just such a clunky experience I have never gelled with.
This is actually the thing I've struggled with the most in Ableton. I'm not sure it's any one aspect of it in particular, but I feel the same way; Live's arrange view has never truly clicked with me. Session view is so much fun to jam in, but perhaps it says something that I rarely finish songs I start in Ableton.

I am warming to Bitwig the more I use the demo. I didn't think modulation would be a big selling point for me, but I realized it feels surprisingly Reason-like in concept: it's like some Reason DNA got spliced into the Ableton genome. Even without racks or cables, the way Bitwig lets you just plug whatever you want into anything else feels very familiar to someone who's been using Reason for over a decade.

StephenHutchinson

05 Sep 2021

A similar experience here. I bought the Ableton Live Suite 11, and had played with it for quite a bit. Huge problems with Arturia plugins, lots of crashing, had to disable a bunch of them. As noted by other people above, it's sometimes just a lot of work to get a song going in Live. Having to hook up extra tracks for Reason instruments, the layout of the sequencer, and a bunch of other stuff just doesn't gel with me. I do use it for Simpler and the Sampler and some other stuff, but mostly for sound design now.

After seeing a few tutorials on Bitwig, I downloaded the demo, and was sold in a matter of a couple weeks and outright bought Bitwig 4 (unfortunately just before the 40% off sale going on). In any event, it is well worth the price paid. Having missed using Sony ACID (which Magix bought out and has demolished what was a good DAW in its time) I now compare Bitwig as a cross between Reason (for the amazing instruments/patches it has, and the way you can create your own instruments - as mentioned above) and ACID, which is to say, the sequencer is easy to use, audio files are easy to slice/dice and fade in/out, crossfade. I've done more in Bitwig in a month than I have with Ableton in a year. I do love that the RRP works perfectly smooth in Bitwig and I can add "player" by just slapping them after the RRP instrument. No having to hook up extra tracks etc.. so intuitive. There are a dozen other reasons I really love Bitwig but I won't belabour you with all the details.

Now if only I could retroactively get the 40% discount... ;)
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

SoundObjects

06 Sep 2021

I think Bitwig have a lot of those features people is asking for should be in Reason.

One thing I have notice lately is the DSP performance using the RRP.
It seems to me that Bitwig is using much less CPU, on the same Reason synths (RRP), than in Reason?
Also if using same buffersize in audio settings, then Bitwig have less latency (ms) than Reason. :o

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
06 Sep 2021
I think Bitwig have a lot of those features people is asking for should be in Reason.

One thing I have notice lately is the DSP performance using the RRP.
It seems to me that Bitwig is using much less CPU, on the same Reason synths (RRP), than in Reason?
Also if using same buffersize in audio settings, then Bitwig have less latency (ms) than Reason. :o
It probably isn't using less actual CPU, because it's always RRP code that performs the DSP. However, Bitwig might be scheduling RRP with better timing (when DSP is scheduled late, it means lots of CPU cycles are lost by the fact they're just not being used for DSP).

I think this was noted in another DAW as well.

• Information