VST tiny in Reason 12

Discuss VST stuff here!
peterrod

02 Sep 2021

Just upgraded to Reason+, and now, when I load up Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5, the panel is tiny!! I guess this is to do with the sharpening up of the UI. Is there any way to make the VST look bigger?

CaptainBlack

02 Sep 2021

Some - like Waves 12 - purport to be scaleable when not all of them seem to have that option. So now I'm peering at a plug-in that's about two inches in size. What's the solution?

Exowildebeest

02 Sep 2021

I have the same issue with most VST's, but strangely not with a relatively new one from Audiothing (Springs).

It's odd. It seems like Windows OS scaling is being disregarded for those VST's that look tiny. They should be scaled 200% according to my Windows settings, just like Reason itself and other apps.

I hope this is a bug on Reason's end, and not an issue that requires updating older VST's.

peterrod

02 Sep 2021

I think the new hi res graphics are a vast improvement, especially on a screen like the Surface Pro. And I love the way you can zoom up the application. I was hoping that would help with the vst sizing problem, but unfortunately it doesn't.

joeyluck

02 Sep 2021

I wouldn't think Reason would have any effect on VST size. Do you have screenshots of R12 and a previous version of Reason running the same version of the VST?

peterrod

02 Sep 2021

I've installed Reason 12 and Guitar Rig on both my desktop PC and my Surface Pro. Guitar Rig displays correctly on the PC but is absolutely tiny on the Surface!!

peterrod

02 Sep 2021

As you can see, the text is tiny, as is the rack panel.
Screenshot 2021-09-02 204608.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-02 204608.jpg (342.23 KiB) Viewed 9200 times

peterrod

02 Sep 2021

Yes, I think I need to find out if this is an issue with the Surface!! It wasn't an issue with Reason 11 on the Surface. Strange.

CaptainBlack

03 Sep 2021

This one's not much bigger than its snapshot
TinyVST.jpg
TinyVST.jpg (398.85 KiB) Viewed 9132 times

zabukowski

03 Sep 2021

Because Reason is now High-DPI compatible application and it's responsible for its own scaling, Windows will not automatically scale (according to scaling factor) Reason GUI & VST plugins GUI anymore. So, VST plugins which are not natively supporting High-DPI, will look tiny on Hi-res monitors.

Reaper, for example, solves this problem with another option, available per each plugin. This option declares VST plugin as High-DPI unaware. This way, plugin is automatically scaled by Windows, despite Reaper being High-DPI aware. Note: this works only when plugin in Reaper is opened in floating window (which is always the case with Reason, anyway).

peterrod

03 Sep 2021

Ok - thanks for that! Good information.

Tommy T

04 Sep 2021

I HAVE A TEMPORARY FIX FOR PEOPLE USING REASON 12 ON SURFACES
Since the Reason 12 early access rollout in July I have had the same problem with my vsts/plugins being tiny when opening the vst window.EzDrummer 2,Guitar Rig 6 plus other numerous vsts have been tiny.Selecting the zoom option to any percentage size does not enlarge the vst.
After numerous Google searches tonight I came across this:
In Windows select Settings then Ease of Access then on the left side select Magnifier.Its kind of wonky but is better than a tiny unusable vst. Where the Reason zoom option enlarges Reason to any size but not the vst Magnifier lets you zoom in on the vst and make it larger.
This definitely seems like its an issue Surface users are having.This is my first post.I just joined this forum tonight with the sole purpose of hopefully helping someone out with this tip.
I have looked on this forum for months looking to see if anyone else had this issue and couldnt find anything.In a future update with any luck there will be a fix to this bug.

peterrod

04 Sep 2021

Ok - that makes sense. Anything that makes them usable is good. Thanks for that. The new zoomable UI is great on the Surface's screen - I hope they bring out a fix for the VST problem.

peterrod

05 Sep 2021

With this problem, and the fact that nothing has really changed since version 11, I've decided to cancel my subscription to Reason+ when my trail ends. I'm quite happy putting up with slightly more crappy visuals if it means I can use my VSTs! I suspect the lack of innovation in the DAW side of Reason is because they want it to become more of a plug in than a standalone. That's ok, I can live with version 11.

Tommy T

05 Sep 2021

I can see your frustration with Reason 12.I do think this isnt like a normal release like previous versions where all the new plugins were available on day one of release.I could be wrong but I believe its possible more new devices will be rolled out for free over time as long as you have Reason+.Its just a matter of how much you care about sound packs which I dig a lot.I was worried I was gonna have to switch back and forth between R11 and R12,but Im gonna just try using Magnifier as a workaround until there is an update that fixes the tiny vst bug

Ted Pikul

14 Jan 2022

I just installed Reason 12 on a brand new Windows 11 laptop, and it also has this problem with tiny VST windows. All of these plug-ins were fine in Reason 12 on my previous Windows 10 system. I have 200% Scale in the Windows display settings, and it seems that Reason is not applying this scale level to the VST windows (only to the Reason interface). The VST windows are at 100% scale.
Last edited by Ted Pikul on 14 Jan 2022, edited 2 times in total.

jam-s

14 Jan 2022

I think they're working on a fix to address this issue.

loui
Reason Studios

19 Jan 2022

We are currently testing a new Auto-scale implementation in the Reason beta. This feature allows the user to select which VSTs should follow Windows scaling, and which should have auto-scaling set to Off. Since all VSTs behave differently with Windows scaling we decided it's better to have an option to toggle auto-scaling On/Off on a VST-individual basis. In the Reason 12.2.4 beta, it defaults with auto-scale set to Off for all installed VSTs.

Read more about the new auto-scale implementation in our beta section.

If you wish to participate in the beta, please sign up here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/beta-test/signup and I will let you in.

Note, you are required to have a registered Reason 12 license, or a Reason+ subscription to run the R12 beta. If you have an older license, it will open in Demo mode as well.

/Loui
Last edited by loui on 19 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.

zumBeispiel

19 Jan 2022

loui wrote:
19 Jan 2022
We are currently testing a new Auto-scale implementation in the Reason beta. This feature allows the user to select which VSTs should follow Windows scaling, and which should have auto-scaling set to Off. Since all VSTs behave differently with Windows scaling we decided it's better to have an option to toggle auto-scaling On/Off on a VST-individual basis. In the Reason 12.2.4 beta, it defaults with auto-scale set to Off for all installed VSTs.

Read more about the new auto-scale implementation in our beta section.

If you wish to participate in the beta, please sign up here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/beta-test/signup and I will let you in.

/Loui
Thanks Loui, great news!

Billy+

19 Jan 2022

loui wrote:
19 Jan 2022

/Loui
Is this open to everyone or is it just for R12 perpetuals/Plus subbers?

MrBlue

19 Jan 2022

Very nice, thank's Loui and a happy new year for everyone ! :thumbup:

PhillipOrdonez

19 Jan 2022

Billy+ wrote:
19 Jan 2022
loui wrote:
19 Jan 2022

/Loui
Obviously only those who run 12 already can use the beta.

Billy+

19 Jan 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Jan 2022
Billy+ wrote:
19 Jan 2022

Obviously only those who run 12 already can use the beta.
It's not obvious weather Reason owners in general are being invited into another beta round.

Anyone who currently has access to R12 has access to the beta and anyone subscribing has the option via companion to access the beta.

I am simply asking for clarification as the post doesn't specify either way.
(I assumed that it is for those who already have R12, but I accept that I might be wrong)

PhillipOrdonez

19 Jan 2022

It is obvious. Assume it is so unless explicitly specified that not only those on 12 can access it.

• Information