Reason Hypothesis #292

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
groggy1

04 Sep 2021

Ok, given what we saw in Reason12, here's my hypothesis:

1) Reason has strategically left "hosting VSTs" within Reason Rack out
2) VC is trying to shop reason around to the top-paying Daw
3) Top-paying Daw that buys Reason will get the deluxe "integrated rack", as the way you organize your rack of devices in that DAW.
4) Only the deluxe "integrated rack" in that one Daw will get support for VSTs hosted (and perhaps MIDI-VSTs too) within Reason Rack
5) Rest of Daws will CONTINUE to have users that have the less-functional NON-deluxe rack (sold separately!), which will be used as a way to lure people to the DAW that owns Propellerheads

I.e. I'm starting to think that the target buyer they're looking for is another *DAW*, rather than some random audio company

I often assume that Propellerheads don't do XYZ because they're "slow", or too busy. But sometimes, they don't do it because it's part of their *strategy*. E.g. VST for Reason supposedly was implemented years earlier - but they didn't ship it because it wasn't part of Ernst's strategy

...Same thing here: I was assuming that they didn't add the ability to *host VSTs* within Reason Rack, but now I'm thinking it's intentional to leave it out

Arrant
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2021

Interesting, but I don’t think you’re right.
If some DAW company wanted to have a rack they would just make one, without having to incorporate Reason legacy tech like REs.

guitfnky

04 Sep 2021

couldn’t make it a week before the first ‘RS is planning to sell’ theory. 😅
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

04 Sep 2021

I'm fairly certain that the reason that RS never implemented midi pass through or routing for vsts was because if they did then not one player created by them would have been sold, the market is full of far far better devices than anything sold by them.....

groggy1

04 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Interesting, but I don’t think you’re right.
If some DAW company wanted to have a rack they would just make one, without having to incorporate Reason legacy tech like REs.
Combinator2 is basically the ability to build a UX frontend for any combination of VSTs. That's a killer feature, that I don't think other DAWs could easily build quickly. (it's almost like a modular system *with* an editable front-end) - the software equivalent of eurorack, except plugging VSTs together. Falcon in a way does this, except the modules are custom Falcon modules, instead of VSTs.

Btw, they're one step away from being able to make the front-end a standardized format - think about how "Serum" or "Omnisphere" could ship with a small front-end so that you can manipulate it in the rack without opening the VST

FYI, you can also route VSTs to effects in other DAWs too (and build savable patches), it's just not as elegant (in my opinion)

Just my opinion. Who knows

groggy1

04 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
04 Sep 2021
couldn’t make it a week before the first ‘RS is planning to sell’ theory. 😅
I just got it last night. I couldn't make it 24 hours :)

• Information