Roli is no more? MPE future..

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

04 Sep 2021

So apparently Roli is permanently out of all Seaboards, and they’re reforming into a company called “Luminary”. Guess we can kiss the hope of MPE support in Reason goodbye?
The new company, Luminary, has taken over all the IP, staff, products, brands and assets of ROLI.
Thoughts?

https://roli.com/stories/roli-reforms-a ... ed-to-know
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

04 Sep 2021

Nah this just sounds like a rebrand. They said they still want to expand the seaboard product.

joeyluck

04 Sep 2021

Luminary will not only focus on expanding LUMI to reach the growing community of home learners, but also plans to bring back the popular and award-winning Seaboard in 2022 (currently out of stock).
The Seaboard is the best damn controller and experience I have ever had making music on the computer and just jamming. Don't hesitate to get a Seaboard Block when they are back in stock!

joeyluck

04 Sep 2021

I think with the LUMI keys being so popular with so many people because of the lights and more traditional keyboard, it makes sense for it to be the focus. And when speaking, people hear "ROLI" and think "Roland". Just my two cents.

Also the LUMI Keys is an MPE controller.

EnochLight

04 Sep 2021

Admittedly, I've been interested in picking up a couple of LUMI keys. Just hearing mixed impressions on their build quality and longevity.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

fieldframe
RE Developer

04 Sep 2021

I have a LUMI Keys and the only thing worse than the build quality is the support. My original unit had keys that stuck together, and it literally took two months of extremely slow email back-and-forth for me to get a replacement processed. The replacement has sharp/flat keys that only work half of the time, but I was so burned out dealing with Roli support that I just put off starting the process over again. Looks like I missed my chance!

I won’t miss Roli, but this does make me worry for FXpansion. I love Strobe2, and I hope it doesn’t end up abandoned.

joeyluck

04 Sep 2021

Interesting. My Seaboard Block is solid and I've had the absolute best support from Roli. When I had an issue, they called me from London to talk to me on the phone to resolve it and gave me lots of free software :)

I haven't heard from anybody I know with LUMI Keys having any issues.

EnochLight

04 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Should probably edit the title of this thread ;)
But I like clickbait! :puf_bigsmile: :lol:

Bes
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2021

i wonder what the barrier for Reason devs to implement MPE has been? perhaps does MIDI2 cover MPE support? i like to think they're working on MIDI2 for when the sequencer/transport overhaul update arrives

btw i am in love with the squishy foam on the seaboard and have always wanted one. any interface with interesting textures gets my :thumbs_up:
- Certified Reason expert

• Information