Not sure how to assign my hardware controllers with Reason 12.2

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
gkillmaster

02 Sep 2021

Not sure how to setup my keyboard/controllers to use with Reason 12. Reason 12.2 didn't detect any of these devices and they are all online!

so here's my equipment:

1) Roli Seaboard RISE 49 (master) - do I choose MIDI Control Keyboard or MIDI Multichannel Control Keyboard?
2) Keith McMillen K-Board Pro 4 - do I choose MIDI Control Keyboard or MIDI Multichannel Control Keyboard?
3) Roli Lightpad BLOCK - do I choose MIDI Control Keyboard, MIDI Control Surface (it can play notes...), or Multichannel Control Keyboard or Multichannel Control Surface?
4) Novation Launchpad X - I assume MIDI Control Keyboard since I can play notes and scales with it? Or should I choose MIDI Control Surface?
5) Keith McMillen QuNexus - It rotates channel, so do I use mutlichannel? It's capable of doing MPE so do I choose keyboard controller or just keyboard?
6) Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1 - I assume MIDI Control Keyboard ?

Thanks for any clarification!

Greg K.

Sterioevo

02 Sep 2021

You choose the setting most appropriate to the device. You will need to do some research on your keyboard/controllers capabilities, with consideration of how you plan to use them. MPE is not supported at this time.

Copied from the manual below.

• MIDI Control Keyboard
Select this is you have a MIDI keyboard with programmable knobs, buttons or faders. You need to set up your con- trol keyboard so that the controls send the correct MIDI CC messages, depending on which Reason device you want to control - check out the MIDI Implementation Chart. If your control keyboard has templates or presets for Reason devices, these can be used if you run Reason.

• MIDI Control Surface
Select this if you have a MIDI controller with programmable knobs, buttons or faders (but without keyboard).
You need to set up your control surface so that the controllers send the correct MIDI CC messages, depending on which Reason device you want to control - check out the MIDI Implementation Chart. If your control surface has templates or presets for Reason devices, these can be used if you run Reason.

• MIDI Keyboard (No Controls)
Select this is you have a MIDI keyboard without programmable knobs, buttons or faders. This is used for playing only (including performance controllers such as pitch bend, mod wheel, etc.) - you cannot adjust Reason device parameters with this type of control surface.

• MIDI Multichannel Control Keyboard
Select this is you have a MIDI keyboard with programmable controls that use multiple MIDI channels (different controls send the same MIDI CC but on different MIDI channels). With this model there is no automatic mapping to device parameters - you need to use Remote Overrides to map each control to a parameter on a device.

• MIDI Multichannel Control Surface
Select this is you have a MIDI control surface with programmable controls that use multiple MIDI channels (differ- ent controls send the same MIDI CC but on different MIDI channels). With this model there is no automatic map- ping to device parameters - you need to use Remote Overrides to map each control to a parameter on a device.
After selecting a model, proceed with selecting MIDI input port as described above.

• Information